ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

Nothing. The other thread is constant bickering between Musk is perfect and Musk is the anti-Christ. Except for the Cybertruck, I like the look of their cars, but that thread is just off the track for the most part. For those that don’t like this thread, feel free not to read it. The new mod will probably delete it without my permission anyway.
You are greatly exaggerating the sentiment in the other thread. There are only a couple/few musk worshipers, and only a couple musk haters. Everybody else has pretty moderate views, albeit views that vary widely.

It’s a pretty great thread and would be even greater if people would stop being hyper-religious about their worship of a particular car brand, which accomplishes nothing but to fuel push-back, IMO.

Reactions: Jm0513
You are greatly exaggerating the sentiment in the other thread. There are only a couple/few musk worshipers, and only a couple musk haters. Everybody else has pretty moderate views, albeit views that vary widely.

It’s a pretty great thread and would be even greater if people would stop being hyper-religious about their worship of a particular car brand, which accomplishes nothing but to fuel push-back, IMO.

Unless that brand is Toyota 😜

Unless that brand is Toyota 😜
Uh-uh. Only the pinnacle of automotive brilliance, the majestic Honda Accord, may be worshiped on the RU forums. I mean, people can post what they want of course. But only the Accord can be slurped without a very strong likelihood of witty mockery in response. 😀

Reactions: fsg2
And maybe you misplaced your quotation marks, but your og post on this quotes you, "you'll see Tesla has changed the script on how to build a truck."

So ya did suggest Tesla was the pioneer.
Given what I've seen from a manufacturing standpoint out of the new Austin factory, I'll stand by my statement.

I'm a little late to this discussion, only having scanned through the last few pages. Does anyone have an opinion on the all electric Toyota SUV the bZ4x? My friend sent me a link about an all electric VW, but it also had a solid review of the Toyota. Nothing spectacular, just a solid car.

You are not impressed by 139% increase yoy?

eta: are you impressed by the fact they can track every model sold?
I think it's great. But if we've learned anything from following EVs it's that profitable, mass production is extremely difficult. Going from a few hundred units/month to a few thousand is a step in the right direction, but Ford has been plateauing in the few thousands/month range for quite some time. I'd love to see a 6 figure production output for 2022.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
I'm a little late to this discussion, only having scanned through the last few pages. Does anyone have an opinion on the all electric Toyota SUV the bZ4x? My friend sent me a link about an all electric VW, but it also had a solid review of the Toyota. Nothing spectacular, just a solid car.

I'm not a fan of the different colored fenders.

You did not miss much in the previous pages!
As far as the Toyota SUV- with the AWD version, the range looks a little low, and keep in mind that in winter months, that range may be lower, and could be less than 200 miles. That may not be a huge concern for some drivers. Otherwise, looks like a nice vehicle. If you check one out, please post what you think.

Reactions: Scarlet4Shore
You did not miss much in the previous pages!
As far as the Toyota SUV- with the AWD version, the range looks a little low, and keep in mind that in winter months, that range may be lower, and could be less than 200 miles. That may not be a huge concern for some drivers. Otherwise, looks like a nice vehicle. If you check one out, please post what you think.
Range isn't a huge concern for me. I only commute one mile to work right now, and at most 25 miles round trip. I thought it was a better looking vehicle than some of the others. I have a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid right now, and still love it. I just see that the newer hybrids get about 20 more mpg than the one I have now.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Range isn't a huge concern for me. I only commute one mile to work right now, and at most 25 miles round trip. I thought it was a better looking vehicle than some of the others. I have a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid right now, and still love it. I just see that the newer hybrids get about 20 more mpg than the one I have now.
Have you thought about a RAV4 Prime or a Honda Clarity? Both are Plug-in Hybrids. The Rav4 Prime has 42 miles of "EV" range on the electric motor, and the Honda Clarity has 47 miles of range. While these may offend the Zero emission EV purists, for someone with your minimal range needs, you get the best of both worlds- short trips burn no (or very minimal) fossil fuels, and no range anxiety because you have gasoline as backup. We considered these before going for the F150 Lightning, but we really liked all of the features of the Lightning, and we could use a pickup.

The Rav4 Prime seems pricey, and on the initial outlay, you may do better on a full EV with the $7,500 federal tax write off (if available), and qualified ZeroEV vehicles are not assessed any sales tax in NJ, which is great.

Here is a link to Plug-in Hybrids with decent range, including the RAV4 Prime and Clarity.

Reactions: Scarlet4Shore
I think it's great. But if we've learned anything from following EVs it's that profitable, mass production is extremely difficult. Going from a few hundred units/month to a few thousand is a step in the right direction, but Ford has been plateauing in the few thousands/month range for quite some time. I'd love to see a 6 figure production output for 2022.
I have stated before that I’m super impressed at Tesla’s margins. But I have also question their margins because over half of the cars sold are made in China plus the federal tax credit.

wrong thread

I do wonder if the market sell off will help me move up on the waitlist.

I have stated before that I’m super impressed at Tesla’s margins. But I have also question their margins because over half of the cars sold are made in China plus the federal tax credit.
BYD is at 13%.
Rather than looking for conspiracy, have you considered the possibility that Tesla is just hands down better at manufacturing compared to other autos?

Very interesting that these new car companies use dynamic pricing models. This works given the current environment but when supply normalizes, I think it will turn off a good portion of consumers.

Reactions: goru1869

Urban delivery vehicles are well-suited for electrification. The vehicles travel predictable routes each day, returning to their home base where they can be charged overnight. BTS estimates over 10,000,000 single unit trucks exist in the USA. (Note: Some/many of the single unit trucks don't meet the profile for daily delivery - these are all large trucks. Many delivery trucks are smaller vehicles - FHWA class 3 and even class 2.)

Toyota is a really strong brand and I don't doubt they will eventually sell lots of EVs. But, IMO, they are way, way behind American and European manufacturers. Toyota and Honda bet big on Hydrogen fuel cells, a technology that seems unlikely to be widely adopted in the near future (<5 years).

FSFHvYcXIAEQeQj

Toyota is a really strong brand and I don't doubt they will eventually sell lots of EVs. But, IMO, they are way, way behind American and European manufacturers. Toyota and Honda bet big on Hydrogen fuel cells, a technology that seems unlikely to be widely adopted in the near future (<5 years).
Depends on how you look at EVs. Here is a bullet point from Toyota for Q1.
  • Number one seller of electrified vehicles for the 89th consecutive quarter

@Knight Shift, you might already know about this. Larry Lynch just came out with a video today showing how to find Lighting demos at local dealers. That portion is about two-thirds through the video.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Did not equate chip shortage to evs but apparently it’s a significant contributor (in addition to dramatic increase in new auto features) that won’t be resolved until ~2024.

Did not equate chip shortage to evs but apparently it’s a significant contributor (in addition to dramatic increase in new auto features) that won’t be resolved until ~2024.
Yeah, we've discussed semiconductor shortages quite a bit. Long term problem is going to be battery manufacturing and supply chain. The battery problem will persist well into the 2030s.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
No surprise here:

Electricity Shortage Warnings Grow Across U.S.​

Power-grid operators caution that electricity supplies aren’t keeping up with demand amid transition to cleaner forms of energy​

Reactions: goru1869
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT