ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

I guess Tesla is going to kill it in delivery this quarter. Again, I thought you didn’t want to compare just EVs. But since we are, too bad Tesla’s EV market share keeps shrinking.
Why bother responding to his straw man argument? Nobody in this thread said anything about anything being “a walk in the park”. It wasn’t a walk in the park for Tesla, or any other automaker ever, to become profitable. And yet many still managed it long before Tesla.

The Teslerati have a weirdly fetishized view of this stuff. It’s not enough to enjoy their cars. They have become somehow brainwashed into engaging in nonstop adoration of a corporation and it’s CEO. It’s not a car company, it’s a religion, a cult. Which is most evident in their inability to suffer those of us who don’t share their worship. They view our disinterest as sacrilege and persecution.

So very, very weird. But whatever floats their boats.

I saw a Rivian on the road today for the first time. I still think the front looks weird but overall it looked better in person than in the pictures I've seen. It's not as bulky as I thought, seems more along the lines of a Tacoma than an F-150.

I saw a Rivian on the road today for the first time. I still think the front looks weird but overall it looked better in person than in the pictures I've seen. It's not as bulky as I thought, seems more along the lines of a Tacoma than an F-150.

Falls in between size wise. Kinda a mid/full size. Dont much like the 4.5 foot bed.

I like the look but definitely a little non-traditional in the front.

Reactions: Knight Shift

Falls in between size wise. Kinda a mid/full size. Dont much like the 4.5 foot bed.

I like the look but definitely a little non-traditional in the front.

Saw one parked in front of my house. Bigger than I expected but the front styling is not for me.

Another vote for weird looking front. Have to wonder what some of the engineering/stylers are thinking with the designs. The front looks kind of like Rosie the Robot from the Jetsons.

That's why some of us think that if Ford and GM/Chevy can get their act together on mass production, there is a market for more traditional-looking trucks like the F150 and Silverado. Tesla fanboys and people who like weird-looking vehicles like the Cybertruck will purchase it when available, but many don't want to drive such a weird-looking vehicle.

Rivian-Blue.jpg

1200px-Rosie.png

Reactions: Scarlet4Shore
I guess Tesla is going to kill it in delivery this quarter. Again, I thought you didn’t want to compare just EVs. But since we are, too bad Tesla’s EV market share keeps shrinking.
The Twitter post isn't comparing market share. It's reinforcing the difficulty of producing profitable EVs at scale. A fact that many scoffed at. GM and Ford have been producing vehicles for 100 years. Given the fact that EV adoption is accelerating, what are they waiting for?

But since you brought up one of your favorite TSLAQ talking points, yes, Tesla's EV market share is decreasing (slightly) while total vehicles produced grows exponentially, and total vehicle market share continues to increase.

Keep fighting the good fight. I'm sure one day you'll see Elon Musk, the criminal mastermind, led away in handcuffs.

And yes, Tesla's Q2 won't be stellar due to Shanghai shutdown. I'm looking forward to your posts about how this one-off quarter is going to lead to Tesla's downfall.

Last edited:
Another vote for weird looking front. Have to wonder what some of the engineering/stylers are thinking with the designs. The front looks kind of like Rosie the Robot from the Jetsons.

That's why some of us think that if Ford and GM/Chevy can get their act together on mass production, there is a market for more traditional-looking trucks like the F150 and Silverado. Tesla fanboys and people who like weird-looking vehicles like the Cybertruck will purchase it when available, but many don't want to drive such a weird-looking vehicle.

Rivian-Blue.jpg

1200px-Rosie.png
To each their own. I think the R1T looks awesome.
It's a new product and a new technology. I'd be disappointed if it didn't look different.

they did the 0-60 run indoors at the NYC auto show. i did get to experience it and it was really fast for a truck. But I don’t get the attraction of 0-60 time for a truck.
I agree. Having torque is critical for towing.

But my approach to driving in any large vehicle, like a truck or SUV, is entirely different than it is for a sports car. One needs to be able to accelerate in on ramps, and to pass on a highway. But that’s about it.

The Twitter post isn't comparing market share. It's reinforcing the difficulty of producing profitable EVs at scale. A fact that many scoffed at. GM and Ford have been producing vehicles for 100 years. Given the fact that EV adoption is accelerating, what are they waiting for?

But since you brought up one of your favorite TSLAQ talking points, yes, Tesla's EV market share is decreasing (slightly) while total vehicles produced grows exponentially, and total vehicle market share continues to increase.

Keep fighting the good fight. I'm sure one day you'll see Elon Musk, the criminal mastermind, led away in handcuffs.

And yes, Tesla's Q2 won't be stellar due to Shanghai shutdown. I'm looking forward to your posts about how this one-off quarter is going to lead to Tesla's downfall.
I’m going to guess they are waiting for the same parts Tesla is waiting for. GM and Ford are having supply issues on ICE and EVs. They have no issues in actual production. I don’t think Tesla will suffer a from a missed quarter or two but Tesla stock is another story.

they did the 0-60 run indoors at the NYC auto show. i did get to experience it and it was really fast for a truck. But I don’t get the attraction of 0-60 time for a truck.
0 - 60 is a straight line test, handling doesn't come in to play. If you like the feel of accelerating, or the ability to gun it to get out of a tight spot, this truck will do it. EV trucks also handle much better than ICE due to the lower center of gravity.

He's the first buyer of the electric F-150. Why he's the future of the car industry

Nice looking truck. Not sure why people feel a vehicle propelled by an electric motor instead of an ICE must look dramatically different. Stick with a winning formula.

0 - 60 is a straight line test, handling doesn't come in to play. If you like the feel of accelerating, or the ability to gun it to get out of a tight spot, this truck will do it. EV trucks also handle much better than ICE due to the lower center of gravity.
Handling can always come into play. It happens the instant something unexpected occurs, which happens all the time on roads.

Drivers often must take emergency evasive action to avoid a collision of some sort. Which is all about handling. And even when one continues in a straight line, braking is one of the aspects of handling. Trucks generally have terrible braking distance. In the case of the F150 lightning, about 180 feet from 70mph (https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a40120063/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-tested-acceleration). And the same vehicle experienced major braking issues when required to brake hard repeatedly, with the brakes overheating, experiencing fade, and with the ABS system shutting down (see above linked article).

And no matter where the center of gravity is, a crap-ton of weight (a truck weighing 8000+ pounds) is still worse for overall handling than a much lesser weight (e.g. a sports car weighing less than half that). Which is why driving quickly in sports cars is generally far safer for everyone than driving quickly in big heavy trucks.

Put another way, all other things being equal, it is probably not in the best interests of public safety to build too much speed into 4 ton vehicles.

I like the SUV more than the pickup. Saw the pickup on the road and it looked interesting. Better than the Tesla Cybertruck. The Lightning is the best looking all electric pickup right now but I assume more will find their way to market in the next few years.

That is the whole point. The dealership model is hurting ( I prefer to say dooming) any chance of the legacy automakers successfully transitioning.

Not gonna lie, it’s pretty annoying that the dealer wants a 10k premium over the GT MSRP of 66k. That’s a nice pay day for responding to a text.

I like the SUV more than the pickup. Saw the pickup on the road and it looked interesting. Better than the Tesla Cybertruck. The Lightning is the best looking all electric pickup right now but I assume more will find their way to market in the next few years.

I like the Lightning, and it definitely will appeal to the more traditionalist adopter Ford is courting, but think Rivian really hits the mark as the sportiest, off-road-oriented design that will appeal to a more youthful buyer. It's successfully styled itself as the Tacoma of EVs, imo. It's quite purposefully developed a truck for that market rather than the utility/work market.

Reactions: RU-05 and robcac26
The only thing I don't like about the Rivian is those ovals on the front. The Lightning is probably my least favorite appearance-wise, it's just ho-hum. The Cybertruck is of course the weirdest looking but I tend to like things that aren't the same as what everyone else has. I think the Silverado is the best looking electric truck so far, I just wish it was smaller--it's over a foot longer than the Rivian.

This week looking worse than last. Cheese was a distraction, I guess. Sad for his daughter. What a belated father's day gift for him.

That sucks for both him and his daughter, IMO. Have no idea what the issue(s) are (and I don't want to know as it's none of my business). But I do believe that both would be better off working out their differences and having a good loving relationship.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
That sucks for both him and his daughter, IMO. Have no idea what the issue(s) are (and I don't want to know as it's none of my business). But I do believe that both would be better off working out their differences and having a good loving relationship.
100% agree. His daughter would particularly be better off to have the love and support of her father. Suicide and homelessness are much higher for transgender kids, in particular when their parents reject them. As a parent, I could never imagine doing such a thing.

100% agree. His daughter would particularly be better off to have the love and support of her father. Suicide and homelessness are much higher for transgender kids, in particular when their parents reject them. As a parent, I could never imagine doing such a thing.
1000% agree. It's hard enough being trans in a cis world, but to also have parents that reject them is a recipe for serious mental health issues and also leads to a much greater risk of suicide. As per the article linked/excerpted below, family support can decrease suicide attempt rates by 50%. It's unimaginable to me that parents can be so harsh on their kids for something most kids would never "choose."

https://www.hrc.org/news/family-acceptance-saves-lives

According to a 2016 study published in LGBT Health, family rejection increases the odds of substance misuse and suicide attempts in transgender and gender non-conforming people. These results mirror research by Dr. Caitlin Ryan and the Family Acceptance Project, which found that LGBTQ youth whose families affirm their gender identity and sexual orientation are almost 50 percent less likely to make a suicide attempt compared to those whose families are unsupportive.

• Love
Very Vette like front end.
The headlights are pretty similar. But the C8 has massive air intakes to cool stuff, the Tesla EV doesn't. And my personal opinion is that the Tesla body-work lines are quite lovely, very well done. Whereas the C8's body-work lines are confused and contradictory and the source of widespread industry criticism.

Although it's not really the front end of the C8 where the criticism focuses. It's much more focused on the rear quarters and rear end which look like a stroke-victim suffering Tourette's and having a really bad day designed all the conflicting lines and creases.

I had such high hopes for the C8. It's such an amazing engine and car under the body work. I'm hoping they do a mid-cycle refresh and smooth the bodywork a bit or at least bring the various lines and creases into complimentary alignment.

The headlights are pretty similar. But the C8 has massive air intakes to cool stuff, the Tesla EV doesn't. And my personal opinion is that the Tesla body-work lines are quite lovely, very well done. Whereas the C8's body-work lines are confused and contradictory and the source of widespread industry criticism.

Although it's not really the front end of the C8 where the criticism focuses. It's much more focused on the rear quarters and rear end which look like a stroke-victim suffering Tourette's and having a really bad day designed all the conflicting lines and creases.

I had such high hopes for the C8. It's such an amazing engine and car under the body work. I'm hoping they do a mid-cycle refresh and smooth the bodywork a bit or at least bring the various lines and creases into complimentary alignment.
Not electric, but saw a Lotus on the Parkway yesterday morning, but it was sad, he was driving 65 mph in the far right lane not passing anyone?

Not electric, but saw a Lotus on the Parkway yesterday morning, but it was sad, he was driving 65 mph in the far right lane not passing anyone?
I see lots of sports cars driving slowly in the right lane. Perhaps they have lots of points?

I know that lots of people buy sports cars as a status or collector-minded thing rather than because they're really into driving. Such folks don't drive those cars often and when they do drive, they drive very slowly to avoid inevitable road damage. They might take them out once per month to a cars and coffee event. They're referred to as garage queens (the cars, not the owners LOL).

But Lotuses are traditionally built for sheer driving joy, lightweight and very nimble and fun at the expense of much in the way creature comforts. And they aren't normally the best investment for folks looking to purchase and maintain a sports car that will appreciate a bunch and sell at auction after many years.

So I'm guessing the owner had too many points from speeding tickets. And my thinking on that is that if one keeps getting speeding tickets, one isn't paying nearly enough attention when driving to be driving fast safely anyway. So I'm glad they're driving slowly.

ADVERTISEMENT