ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

The headlights are pretty similar. But the C8 has massive air intakes to cool stuff, the Tesla EV doesn't. And my personal opinion is that the Tesla body-work lines are quite lovely, very well done. Whereas the C8's body-work lines are confused and contradictory and the source of widespread industry criticism.

Although it's not really the front end of the C8 where the criticism focuses. It's much more focused on the rear quarters and rear end which look like a stroke-victim suffering Tourette's and having a really bad day designed all the conflicting lines and creases.

I had such high hopes for the C8. It's such an amazing engine and car under the body work. I'm hoping they do a mid-cycle refresh and smooth the bodywork a bit or at least bring the various lines and creases into complimentary alignment.
I'm not a huge car guy but I see some of the lines on the new vette's as being too angular. Seems especially evident on the red Vette's for some reason. Caddilac sedan's have the same issue.

I guess it makes them unique, but conversely, I think there is a reason most companies go with smoother curves.

I see lots of sports cars driving slowly in the right lane. Perhaps they have lots of points?

I know that lots of people buy sports cars as a status or collector-minded thing rather than because they're really into driving. Such folks don't drive those cars often and when they do drive, they drive very slowly to avoid inevitable road damage. They're referred to as garage queens (the cars, not the owners LOL).

But Lotuses are traditionally built for sheer driving joy, lightweight and very nimble and fun at the expense of much in the way creature comforts. And they aren't normally the best investment for folks looking to purchase and maintain a sports car that will appreciate a bunch and sell at auction after many years.

So I'm guessing the owner had too many points from speeding tickets. And my thinking on that is that if one keeps getting speeding tickets, one isn't paying nearly enough attention when driving to be driving fast safely anyway. So I'm glad they're driving slowly.
Sports cars are also expensive and often owned by old guys who don't let em rip. I see that a fair amount.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I'm not a huge car guy but I see some of the lines on the new vette's as being too angular. Seems especially evident on the red Vette's for some reason. Caddilac sedan's have the same issue.

I guess it makes them unique, but conversely, I think there is a reason most companies go with smoother curves.
I wonder if a big reason the C8 Vette bodywork is so disjointed looking is that it's a lot more expensive to create the gracefully flowing large-panel bodywork one sees on similarly ultra high performance, but far more expensive, sports cars like Ferraris or Lamborghinis, etc.

A Lamborghini in particular has very aggressive, very angular lines. But the lines flow in ways that are complimentary to each other. The C8's lines work in the opposite way, to way of thinking and that of many automotive reviewers.

I think there's a similar issue on the new Toyota Supra. The overall shape is pretty cool and interesting. But it has these excess bulges added to the styling with no aero or packaging in mind where the lines created by the bulges seem to detract (IMO) from the overall curves in the design. And the body panels break up the flow of the design in ways that detract from the overall shape. In that case, I would think it's entirely about cost savings - the accountants won the argument with the designers.

Sports cars are also expensive and often owned by old guys who don't let em rip. I see that a fair amount.
That's true. And given that we all suffer loss of coordination and visual cognition and reflexes as we age, I'm good with with older folks slowing down. I never get impatient with old folks who drive slowly. I encourage it.

Reactions: RU-05
I wonder if a big reason the C8 Vette bodywork is so disjointed looking is that it's a lot more expensive to create the gracefully flowing large-panel bodywork one sees on similarly ultra high performance, but far more expensive, sports cars like Ferraris or Lamborghinis, etc.

A Lamborghini in particular has very aggressive, very angular lines. But the lines flow in ways that are complimentary to each other. The C8's lines work in the opposite way, to way of thinking and that of many automotive reviewers.

I think there's a similar issue on the new Toyota Supra. The overall shape is pretty cool and interesting. But it has these excess bulges added to the styling with no aero or packaging in mind where the lines created by the bulges seem to detract (IMO) from the overall curves in the design. And the body panels break up the flow of the body panel in ways that detract from the overall shape. In that case, I would think it's entirely about cost savings - the accountants won the argument with the designers.
Supra looks cool but very Batmobil ish to me.

I kind of feel it's designers trying to make a statement.

Also like the Mazzarati's(and my 2009 Subaru Legacy) the nose juts out too much. I like a more blunted nose.

Also like the Mazzarati's(and my 2009 Subaru Legacy) the nose juts out too much. I like a more blunted nose.
I guess most car designers are trying to make a statement but many are so severely constrained by budget and market forces that they are forced to compromise.

And I really like how this new Maserati looks (link to article in case image doesn't work: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/maserati-mc20-better-bit-colour) although they definitely went with a long nose - not made for steep driveways, that:

large-17320-maseratimc20renderinggiallogenio.jpg

Reactions: RU-05
I guess most car designers are trying to make a statement but many are so severely constrained by budget and market forces that they are forced to compromise.

And I really like how this new Maserati looks (link to article in case image doesn't work: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/maserati-mc20-better-bit-colour) although they definitely went with a long nose - not made for steep driveways, that:

large-17320-maseratimc20renderinggiallogenio.jpg
She's hot, but the nose is a definitely a little big.

Reactions: mildone

I think there's a similar issue on the new Toyota Supra. The overall shape is pretty cool and interesting. But it has these excess bulges added to the styling with no aero or packaging in mind where the lines created by the bulges seem to detract (IMO) from the overall curves in the design. And the body panels break up the flow of the design in ways that detract from the overall shape. In that case, I would think it's entirely about cost savings - the accountants won the argument with the designers.

I think if you look at the entire body of Toyota design, it's more like the designers won.

Whatever the term for "overstyling" is in Japanese should be the official name of their design language.

Speaking of the original Batmobile.. it was a Lincoln Futura..

121129845.jpg

1955-Lincoln-Futura.jpg

Apparently.. people BAKED in the bubble.. no bueno.

I personally preferred this bubble design..
Silhouette.jpg

Of course, Hot Wheels liked the Futura also...
2012-HWG-%2755LincolnFuturaConcept-White.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: fsg2
I think if you look at the entire body of Toyota design, it's more like the designers won.

Whatever the term for "overstyling" is in Japanese should be the official name of their design language.
I haven’t seen much of their other vehicles. But yeah, the Tundra does seem a bit excessive in some of it’s styling, though, now that you mention it.

toyota's design team has been struggling for quite a while now.
They should send spies over to Hyundai/Kia/Genesis whose designers are killing it these days, IMO. Except for their butt-ugly wheel designs. Whoever committed those atrocious wheel designs is smoking crack.

I haven’t seen much of their other vehicles. But yeah, the Tundra does seem a bit excessive in some of it’s styling, though, now that you mention it.

They absolutely ruined the Tundra's face, which was one of their better designs previously. Annoying because that hybrid powertrain is looking better and better in light of gas prices.

The latest Prius, 4Runner, Rav4, Sienna, Corolla ...getting back to electrics, the bZ4x looks like a drivable pile of spare parts.

"Overstyling" is too general; "Scarface" would work nicely for at least half of their newest models. I can only assume those hideous slashes under the headlights are XL tear ducts so the vehicles can cry when passing by a reflective surface.

And that's before we even entertain Lexus ever-intensifying 'spindle' maw.

Only reason Tacoma still looks good is because it's about to be redesigned. I wake up with night terrors dreaming about it.

• Haha
Speaking of the original Batmobile.. it was a Lincoln Futura..

121129845.jpg

1955-Lincoln-Futura.jpg

Apparently.. people BAKED in the bubble.. no bueno.

I personally preferred this bubble design..
Silhouette.jpg

Of course, Hot Wheels liked the Futura also...
2012-HWG-%2755LincolnFuturaConcept-White.jpg

Maybe time to revisit those with electrochromic glass.

They should send spies over to Hyundai/Kia/Genesis whose designers are killing it these days, IMO. Except for their butt-ugly wheel designs. Whoever committed those atrocious wheel designs is smoking crack.
IIRC, Hyundai hired away a designer from Bentley, and an R&D guy from BMW's M division. They're getting real serious about their stuff.

Luc Donckerwolke - not to be confused with penis-looking lightweight sports car brand Donkervoort - Hyundai design head, previously VW chief of design for Bentley, Lamborghini, Audi and Skoda.

They absolutely ruined the Tundra's face, which was one of their better designs previously. Annoying because that hybrid powertrain is looking better and better in light of gas prices.

The latest Prius, 4Runner, Rav4, Sienna, Corolla ...getting back to electrics, the bZ4x looks like a drivable pile of spare parts.

"Overstyling" is too general; "Scarface" would work nicely for at least half of their newest models. I can only assume those hideous slashes under the headlights are XL tear ducts so the vehicles can cry when passing by a reflective surface.

And that's before we even entertain Lexus ever-intensifying 'spindle' maw.
Scarface. LOL The Camry's okay?

They really are doing all the right things to take big chunks of the market.
Really.. if they get the interiors plush enough both Hyundai and Kia are well worth a look. Loved the exterior look of Telluride. I say this because i know people who love the performance, look and value of these but say the interiors are just not up to par... though they are making strides.

Really.. if they get the interiors plush enough both Hyundai and Kia are well worth a look. Loved the exterior look of Telluride.
Reviewers pretty universally praised the interior of the Telluride. I haven't seen it in person, but have it on my list of SUVs to test drive before making a decision. All based on exterior appearance and reviewer love. It helps that it's probably the least expensive of my current alternative choices by about half.

Scarface. LOL The Camry's okay?

For now ...Camry is also approaching a redesign.

And by ok, I mean it escapes the face slashing and exaggerated square-top fender accentuation that permeates so much Toyota design. It's still overstyled, though, with an extraneous character line in the middle of the doors and a bunch of extra hood creases for no reason.

I vehemently disagree on Hyundai. Every car looks like a bastardized porpoise or dolphin with all of those stupid, swoopy curves.

Yeah, some hybrid minivans but no electrics.

Europe has a few electric small and midsize vans, helped along when Stellantis stopped building non-commercial ICE variants earlier this year, only electric for about six different make/models.

Ford E-Transit and its 125-mile range is all we get here.

Reactions: Knight Shift
It has nothing to do with how recent it opened. It’s a supply issue. Can’t make what do you don’t have. This was my point in my response to you earlier.
Of course it matters how recent the factories began production. There's a laundry list of industry firsts going on at Austin and Berlin. From a manufacturing perspective, a Fremont MY is considerably different from an Austin MY. The same cannot be said for legacy auto who have been treading water with the same EV design for years and still haven't hit volume production

The slow start will pay off in the long run. And "slow" by Tesla standards. <3 months into production, and Austin is at a greater output than all GM EVs combined.

From the above-linked motortrend article:

"And Ford claims it'll hit 62 mph in less than two seconds"

I mean, what loving parent doesn't need to sometimes accelerate their kid-hauling minivan to 62mph on their kid's grade school street, with a sub-2s time, to make sure their kid is first in line to give teacher an apple? 😃

From the above-linked motortrend article:

"And Ford claims it'll hit 62 mph in less than two seconds"

I mean, what loving parent doesn't need to sometimes accelerate their kid-hauling minivan to 62mph on their kid's grade school street, with a sub-2s time, to make sure their kid is first in line to give teacher an apple? 😃

Don't get there too early. You'll want at least a few yoga milfs around when throwing it into dedicated burnout mode and painting the parking lot.

For those that didn't read, it's a 1,970 horsepower one-off electric "Supervan."

Original Supervan was a Transit body on a GT40 chassis back in early 70s. A van with a timeless Le Mans winner's soul ...talk about a sleeper.

Fun stuff and another reason why people who hate on EVs so hard are just lost.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT