ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

I saw an EV6 yesterday - impressive design. The Hyundia/Kia EVs seem like solid entries to the market. I did check on some EV6 prices and availability. I'm a bit less impressed by the price points + having to purchase though a dealership.

I saw an EV6 yesterday - impressive design. The Hyundia/Kia EVs seem like solid entries to the market. I did check on some EV6 prices and availability. I'm a bit less impressed by the price points + having to purchase though a dealership.
Saw both at the NYC car show. The finishes and styling is much better than Tesla and Mach-E. Don’t know how the technology stacks up.

Saw an EV6 last weekend as well. Looks nice, the rear is a little much for me though. Price tag for an AWD starts at $50k. Tough for me to stomach that much for a Kia.

Saw an EV6 last weekend as well. Looks nice, the rear is a little much for me though. Price tag for an AWD starts at $50k. Tough for me to stomach that much for a Kia.
You should use the Tesla math and factor in all your savings for the next 10 years and it’s really only 30k.

Ford is clearly reacting to competitive pressures with Tesla - moves that have their dealers unhappy.

Executives from the Detroit giant have alluded to such changes for months, highlighting a future with less inventory on the dealer lot, more online transacting, no-haggle pricing and an increased focus on dealerships as service and repair centers. Ford plans to release its new EV-selling rules in September.

As executives at other auto makers have discussed using the switch to EVs as a way to revamp how cars are sold, Ford Chief Executive Jim Farley has been among the more vocal. At a Bernstein investor conference earlier this month, he talked about keeping zero inventory at dealers and sales being 100% online.

Ford is clearly reacting to competitive pressures with Tesla - moves that have their dealers unhappy.

Executives from the Detroit giant have alluded to such changes for months, highlighting a future with less inventory on the dealer lot, more online transacting, no-haggle pricing and an increased focus on dealerships as service and repair centers. Ford plans to release its new EV-selling rules in September.

As executives at other auto makers have discussed using the switch to EVs as a way to revamp how cars are sold, Ford Chief Executive Jim Farley has been among the more vocal. At a Bernstein investor conference earlier this month, he talked about keeping zero inventory at dealers and sales being 100% online.
Not going to feel bad for dealers. They price gouge buyers. The only problem will be when the supply issues go away, will they revert back.

Screw the dealers, as some of them find ways to screw the consumer. When I bought my Maverick, they tacked on a $400 "non-negotiable" window etch fee and we got killed on their charges to register the vehicle. Apparently, a new car can only be registered by the dealer in NJ? On top of that, they try to sell you and wear you down while doing so on all sorts of useless add-ons and gimmicks.

We only post Tesla recalls in this thread. Get with the program!! And Lightening?

" F-150 Lightning’s default tire pressure had been incorrectly set in the computer."

Seems something like that could be fixed by an over the air update, and why make it so onerous on the consumer to have to go to the dealer--and I see that is possible and will be deployed in 30 days.

We only post Tesla recalls in this thread. Get with the program!! And Lightening?

" F-150 Lightning’s default tire pressure had been incorrectly set in the computer."

Seems something like that could be fixed by an over the air update, and why make it so onerous on the consumer to have to go to the dealer--and I see that is possible and will be deployed in 30 days.
I didn't even notice the link spelling mistake. Pretty funny mistake. Be even funnier if the recall had something to do with lowering vehicle weight.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Not going to feel bad for dealers. They price gouge buyers. The only problem will be when the supply issues go away, will they revert back.
I don't feel sorry for them, but in my case, I've mostly been price-gouging them over the years. It's only certain cars and/or certain times (like now) where the dealers hold all the cards and it becomes impossible to negotiate prices down to reasonable levels, sometimes well below MSRP.

Will be interesting to see how Ford dealerships react.

NJ state budget just passed today and will be signed tomorrow. Can’t tell if the allocate funds for the EV rebate.
It does not seem so, which is strange. If the link works, see page C-14, 4th line from bottom:

See this also, but not clear what it means:

NM

think you are right that it’s gone. Might not have qualified because it doesn’t apply to pre-order cars 🙄.

But why now when they’re doing so well?
C'mon man, You know why.

office-space.gif

e69ebab5-4c89-473e-93a3-399945ff23dc_text.gif

Reactions: LBusDoor90
C'mon man, You know why.

office-space.gif

e69ebab5-4c89-473e-93a3-399945ff23dc_text.gif
Maybe. But why lay off Americans which hurts our economy. Why not lay off some folks overseas instead?

Tesla and Musk can easily afford to continue employing and paying these people. Tesla is apparently growing, at least according to market share, so they need to hire, not fire. Unless the market share increase is due solely to industry-wide supply chain struggles and Tesla isn't actually forecasting sales growth.

OTOH, most of these folks appear to be in the self-driving tech group. Is this Tesla admitting it's a much longer-term development project, and won't be viable until V2V and V2I are up and running?

I have similar questions for the major Wall Street investment houses who are either already laying off people, or have announced plans to do so, or will be doing that. Gotta keep bonuses in the 7 figure range, so people gotta go. God forbid the average bonus be under 7 figures for a couple years, all the good people will go somewhere else.

Ah well, that was a fun morning rant to start the day. 😀

Reactions: goru1869
Maybe. But why lay off Americans which hurts our economy. Why not lay off some folks overseas instead?

Tesla and Musk can easily afford to continue employing and paying these people. Tesla is apparently growing, at least according to market share, so they need to hire, not fire. Unless the market share increase is due solely to industry-wide supply chain struggles and Tesla isn't actually forecasting sales growth.

OTOH, most of these folks appear to be in the self-driving tech group. Is this Tesla admitting it's a much longer-term development project, and won't be viable until V2V and V2I are up and running?

I have similar questions for the major Wall Street investment houses who are either already laying off people, or have announced plans to do so, or will be doing that. Gotta keep bonuses in the 7 figure range, so people gotta go. God forbid the average bonus be under 7 figures for a couple years, all the good people will go somewhere else.

Ah well, that was a fun morning rant to start the day. 😀
This, of course, is not unique to Tesla. It is all driven by corporate and shareholder greed for continued improvement in "results." It is why many companies have outsourced manufacturing to other countries and less stuff is made in America because labor is cheaper elsewhere. Gotta give Tesla credit for maintaining a substantial US presence for both corporate and manufacturing jobs. But Tesla, like any other company, does not really care about employee well-being over keeping shareholders happy.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
What I got out of that article is that EV owners should always drive very fast, particularly when going downhill, so they can build up a huge electrical regeneration when they come to a stop. Then they‘ll never need to charge up the battery since all that high speed braking will do it for them.

But Tesla, like any other company, does not really care about employee well-being over keeping shareholders happy.
I know that and you know that. But certain cultish Elon worshipers will be offended that you dared to attack Tesla with such lies. 🙂

What I got out of that article is that EV owners should always drive very fast, particularly when going downhill, so they can build up a huge electrical regeneration when they come to a stop. Then they‘ll never need to charge up the battery since all that high speed braking will do it for them.
the anti-hill climb. ppl can cut steep downhill roads down the side of mountains and call them "recharging points". races to see who regenerates the most electricity instead of who can get down the hill the fastest. the steeper the better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT