ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

the anti-hill climb. ppl can cut steep downhill roads down the side of mountains and call them "recharging points". races to see who regenerates the most electricity instead of who can get down the hill the fastest. the steeper the better.
And the ideal approach to this would be multiple 0-60 runs followed by taking one's foot of the gas (to activate regenerative braking).

Congress needs to enact some legislation that requires all EV owners to only ever drive downhill from now on, and only following the 0-60-0-60 pattern of driving. This alone could reverse climate change.

Speaking of hillclimbs, the electric McMurtry neo fan car just set new all-out record in Goodwood last weekend. Thing develops double its weight in downforce from standstill and holds the track like a slot car.

Speaking of hillclimbs, the electric McMurtry neo fan car just set new all-out record in Goodwood last weekend. Thing develops double its weight in downforce from standstill and holds the track like a slot car.
Not to quibble, but we were speaking more of hill descents than hill climbs. Granted the article itself was discussing both. Both we've advanced the argument and are already in legislative discussions that would prohibit climbing any hills (very bad for the climate) in EVs.

Not to quibble, but we were speaking more of hill descents than hill climbs. Granted the article itself was discussing both. Both we've advanced the argument and are already in legislative discussions that would prohibit climbing any hills (very bad for the climate) in EVs.

Well, that car also does 0-60 in 1.5 seconds so I bet it could regen LOADS in your format ; )

Reactions: mildone
Well, that car also does 0-60 in 1.5 seconds so I bet it could regen LOADS in your format ; )
That's what I'm talking 'bout. 😀

I mean, unless we're talking 90 degree hills (in which case, terminal velocity would slow the car up after taking one's foot off the gas, robbing the regen braking effect of it's precious bodily energy), we may have solved the climate change problem for good here.

I'm all about solutions and physics and shit. Admittedly, there may be a few minor problems with my calculations and my less-than-non-linear interpretation of terminal velocity. But I'm an idea guy. I leave it to the little people, like physicists and automotive engineers, to work out all those insignificant details.

You might have seen already, but if not, you def should watch. You'd love this car.

looks like someone updated Q2 forecast, but left Q3 and Q4 as it was before the reality of supply chain issues took their toll.
They have to to achieve 50% you growth. It’s the only “guidance” Tesla provided so they better be able to hit it.

Only a 15% decline from Q1.

looks like someone updated Q2 forecast, but left Q3 and Q4 as it was before the reality of supply chain issues took their toll.

They have to to achieve 50% you growth. It’s the only “guidance” Tesla provided so they better be able to hit it.

Just out of curiosity, do either of you actually care about Tesla's production numbers? If you do, great. Whatever floats your boats, or the boats of anybody who finds such stuff interesting.

But, even though I own Tesla stock, or did last time I checked, I couldn't possibly care less what their production numbers are (or the production numbers for any automotive manufacturer, unless it's a supercar with stated exclusivity through very limited production). So I'm curious who actually cares about such stuff and why.

I suppose, over in the stocks thread, folks who spend all their time trading might care. Or people looking to determine if they should buy/sell stock in some automotive company. But I would think such people would want to get their information from Tesla, or other car companies, not from estimates from some dude on twitter.

Does Troy work for Tesla? If not, I have one question and one comment.

The question is, who is Troy Teslike and why would anybody care what his production estimates are?

The comment is: Troy, again assuming he isn't being paid by Tesla, directly or indirectly, has way, way, waaaaaaay too much time on his hands.

I have no idea on his background, but he's been doing this for years.

Just out of curiosity, do either of you actually care about Tesla's production numbers? If you do, great. Whatever floats your boats, or the boats of anybody who finds such stuff interesting.

But, even though I own Tesla stock, or did last time I checked, I couldn't possibly care less what their production numbers are (or the production numbers for any automotive manufacturer, unless it's a supercar with stated exclusivity through very limited production). So I'm curious who actually cares about such stuff and why.

I suppose, over in the stocks thread, folks who spend all their time trading might care. Or people looking to determine if they should buy/sell stock in some automotive company. But I would think such people would want to get their information from Tesla, or other car companies, not from estimates from some dude on twitter.
I only care because of all the spin by the Tesla fan club. I have said many times, I like the product, but it’s overpriced.

I only care because of all the spin by the Tesla fan club. I have said many times, I like the product, but it’s overpriced.
My guess is growing competition will eventually drive down their prices. Either that or else they'll decide they'll cede market share in general and instead try to fight for low-end luxury market share only, in which case they'll be competing with Lexus/Infinity/Genesis and will have to up their fit and finish game some.

We'll see what happens when the supply chains normalize, and competition really heats up - which could take several years or more.

I've spent my whole career around accountants and supporting/doing accounting. It's just a kneejerk reaction to seeing numbers, especially as it relates to forecasting.

This is off-topic, so apologies. But I found it interesting that, in this ranking of Corvette generations, nobody ranked the C8 at the top and most had it ranked pretty middling to low. It's probably the best handling most performant of them all but the styling, well-described by one ranker as "overwrought", just kills it for so many people.

To bring this slightly back to on-topic, I think EV makers would do well to pay heed to this in their EV designs. Just because a thing is new under the hood doesn't necessarily mean the thing with the newest look will be the most appreciated. I'm talking about you Cybertruck.

This is off-topic, so apologies. But I found it interesting that, in this ranking of Corvette generations, nobody ranked the C8 at the top and most had it ranked pretty middling to low. It's probably the best handling most performant of them all but the styling, well-described by one ranker as "overwrought", just kills it for so many people.

To bring this slightly back to on-topic, I think EV makers would do well to pay heed to this in their EV designs. Just because a thing is new under the hood doesn't necessarily mean the thing with the newest look will be the most appreciated. I'm talking about you Cybertruck.
It’s a generational thing. Old people don’t like change. I never owned a Corvette but seriously considering a C8.

Reactions: RUBlackout
It’s a generational thing. Old people don’t like change. I never owned a Corvette but seriously considering a C8.
How do you know the folks doing the ranking are all older than you?

IMO, the simplest explanation is that the polarizing styling of the C8 is, well, polarizing. It’s mishmash of lines creates dissonance. And people of all ages typically embrace newer Ferraris and Lamborghinis and McLarens and so forth.

But style is in the eye of the beholder. And the C8s must be popular because I’ve been seeing tons of them on the road.

IMO, the simplest explanation is that the polarizing styling of the C8 is, well, polarizing. It’s mishmash of lines creates dissonance. And people of all ages typically embrace newer Ferraris and Lamborghinis and McLarens and so forth.

But style is in the eye of the beholder. And the C8s must be popular because I’ve been seeing tons of them on the road.
It may be a little overwhelming, but I like the C8 better than any design since the C3. And probably more than the C3.

I know 3 Corvette loyal owners that live in CA and have owned multiple generations of Vets. None of them are in a rush to trade in their existing model for a C8. None of them can give me a great reason either. All 3 are in their 60s.

I know 3 Corvette loyal owners that live in CA and have owned multiple generations of Vets. None of them are in a rush to trade in their existing model for a C8. None of them can give me a great reason either. All 3 are in their 60s.
That’s an awfully small sample size with which to condemn all older people’s resistance to change in automotive styling. Some or all the raters in the Jalopnik article might be considerably younger.

Perhaps they just don’t like the styling. Some of the people in the article said as much. Why would they lie?

I think age is far less relevant than taste insofar as any car goes. I’m no kid, but also not in my 60s yet. However my age is made entirely irrelevant by the fact that I very much like the latest Lambo styling (proving I am not opposed to change) but dislike the latest Vette’s styling.

The C8 styling can be saved and it wouldn’t be hard. Even the Z06 is a bit of an improvement by lowering it and fiddling with some aero bits. Just to smooth some lines in some of the bodywork and make it more cohesive and less dissonant. The car itself seems great under the skin, truly remarkable performance for a dirt cheap price.

Do that and I’d think it was awesome, the best Vette ever in both performance and styling.

Reactions: Pils86
That’s an awfully small sample size with which to condemn all older people’s resistance to change in automotive styling. Some or all the raters in the Jalopnik article might be considerably younger.

Perhaps they just don’t like the styling. Some of the people in the article said as much. Why would they lie?

I think age is far less relevant than taste insofar as any car goes. I’m no kid, but also not in my 60s yet. However my age is made entirely irrelevant by the fact that I very much like the latest Lambo styling (proving I am not opposed to change) but dislike the latest Vette’s styling.

The C8 styling can be saved and it wouldn’t be hard. Even the Z06 is a bit of an improvement by lowering it and fiddling with some aero bits. Just to smooth some lines in some of the bodywork and make it more cohesive and less dissonant. The car itself seems great under the skin, truly remarkable performance for a dirt cheap price.

Do that and I’d think it was awesome, the best Vette ever in both performance and styling.
One guy who has owned many vets and now has a C8 said it is so much superior in handling and performance. When I see one on the road first thought is Ferrari until it gets closer. I think it is awesome but could use some minor tweaks like you say, maybe a smoothing/rounding. I know the ass end was discussed previously and it is a tad big but to get the clubs in I think it is a good tradeoff.

Reactions: mildone
One guy who has owned many vets and now has a C8 said it is so much superior in handling and performance. When I see one on the road first thought is Ferrari until it gets closer. I think it is awesome but could use some minor tweaks like you say, maybe a smoothing/rounding. I know the ass end was discussed previously and it is a tad big but to get the clubs in I think it is a good tradeoff.
I LOVE the new C8 and I am not a Corvette person by any means. Never been a fan really over time of owning one and I would like to get this car. I just bought a Tesla this year so will have to wait a bit

The backside is fine by itself imo. It just doesn't really jibe with the lines and character of the front end or side profile. Front and side are very ferrari-esque plus a couple of extra unnecessary creases. Ass is all corvette. And that's the disconnect for me.

I don't know if this has been covered yet as I am too lazy to read through 122 pages but i just got the 2022 Volvo XC60 PHEV Extended range. For me it is the best of both worlds. The 35-40 miles of Electric range covers 95% of the driving that I do. If I have to evacuate from a hurricane( I live in S Florida) I have well over 500 miles of total electric and gasoline range. I charge the car in my garage as needed . So far in about 400-500 miles of driving I do not think that I have used a gallon of gas as of yet. The PHEV is not for everyone but if most of your driving is local and you need more than 300+/- of total range it is the perfect solution.

Reactions: fsg2
I don't know if this has been covered yet as I am too lazy to read through 122 pages but i just got the 2022 Volvo XC60 PHEV Extended range. For me it is the best of both worlds. The 35-40 miles of Electric range covers 95% of the driving that I do. If I have to evacuate from a hurricane( I live in S Florida) I have well over 500 miles of total electric and gasoline range. I charge the car in my garage as needed . So far in about 400-500 miles of driving I do not think that I have used a gallon of gas as of yet. The PHEV is not for everyone but if most of your driving is local and you need more than 300+/- of total range it is the perfect solution.
I agree with this idea. But the EV purists will smite thee with extreme anger.

Reactions: fsg2
Unknown, but north of 110k. We'll know more when CPCA puts out Shanghai June #s
Tesla should be printing best ever ever month and every quarter because they are starting at such a low number. Also why this Q is such a disappointment, but understandable given all the circumstances.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT