ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

Not much in the way of details given, but a new EV coming out from Genesis/Hyundai/Kia. I think they should fire whomever is designing their wheels. The rest of it is okay though.

Not much in the way of details given, but a new EV coming out from Genesis/Hyundai/Kia. I think they should fire whomever is designing their wheels. The rest of it is okay though.

I don't think they're completely horrendous... like an EV interpretation of the hundred spoke Daytons. But definitely wouldn't be my choice.

I don't think they're completely horrendous... like an EV interpretation of the hundred spoke Daytons. But definitely wouldn't be my choice.
Putting design aside, I like washing my own car. So wheels with few spokes, and lots of space between the spokes, are crucial for easy cleaning. Not to mention they make for lighter wheels and less unsprung mass.

Putting design aside, I like washing my own car. So wheels with few spokes, and lots of space between the spokes, are crucial for easy cleaning. Not to mention they make for lighter wheels and less unsprung mass.
Wheels with too few spokes don't look right with the curb feelers. But I'm with ya.

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
I'm still pissed that he helped Dubya get elected, so he's a total ignore for me.
People still make this ludicrous argument? Nader told Gore he'd back out of the election if he adopted certain key parts of his platform that his supporters wanted, and Gore wouldn't do it. Thus, when people went to cast their vote for who they thought would be the best president, some preferred Nader over Gore. Not to mention, the people who blame Nader just assume that all of Nader's votes would have otherwise gone to Gore, when if you look at the exit polls, some of them would have actually gone to Bush for some reason, but many would have just not voted for either. Gore lost because of the electoral college, and because our voting format where we approve of one candidate and disapprove of all others lends itself to the spoiler effect. Ranked choice voting would fix this, but of course the Democrats and Republicans both oppose it because they don't support anything that would give us more choices and a more robust democracy.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Wow, that's some influence Musk must have. 10 years later and still no high speed rail. California government loves Musk, right? And after all, California never bogs down infrastructure projects with red tape, bureaucracy, permitting, and regulations.

Did you hear that Musk was behind the Kennedy assassination? He was also working with the Saudis in the 9/11 attacks.

Looks like Dodge is pulling the plug on all their gas power muscle cars. 2023 will be the last model year for Chargers and Challengers as they reshape the focus of the brand with electric vehicles.

I guess but Dodge released an official statement today. Would be kind of strange to go back on that now.
Not all that strange. Auto manufacturers make statements about future plans all the time and then change course as needs dictate.

Some states have been creating aggressive targets for no longer permitting sales of ICEVs. And many/most auto manufacturers have been issuing statements about their EV plans. But I'm pretty sure that, in most cases, these government and manufacturer plans are subject to adjustment given potential changing conditions.

One example of a potential changing condition is if there are ongoing supply chain issues that impact EVs more than ICEVs. People need cars and manufactures need sales. So plans are good, but we'll see what happens.

I don't claim to know what will happen with this stuff. But I've been a car guy since I was 10 years old and I've seen tons of announcements that didn't work out exactly as stated. I see no reason not to think EV transition plans are any different.

It's also entirely within the realm of possibility that some manufacturers (or states) will advance EV changeover or ICEV cut-off targets. Again, we'll have to wait and see.

How are EVs supposed to be in water? Never really thought about that and part of me thinks they might be better than ice cars.

Some IRS guidance on the new rules for the legislation signed today affecting eligible EV Rebates:

"Vehicles Purchased and Delivered between August 16, 2022 and December 31, 2022

If you purchase and take possession of a qualifying electric vehicle after August 16, 2022 and before January 1, 2023, aside from the final assembly requirement, the rules in effect before the enactment of the Inflation Reduction Act for the EV credit apply (including those involving the manufacturing caps on vehicles sold). If you entered into a written binding contract to purchase a new qualifying vehicle before August 16, 2022, see the rule above. "

Other stuff in link below on how vehicles not finally assembled in US do or do not qualify, depending on whether buyer has a binding contract.

Help me out again.
My conEdison electric bill shows I'm paying 32.75 cents per Kwh. Total charge divided by KWH used.
My Escape PHEV has a 14.4 KW battery. So to fully charge it it would cost me $4.716.
Here's my concern, I get 37 miles on a full charge. Gas Buddy tells me my gas station is selling for $4.29/gallon right now and the car could get 40 mpg of gas.
Where is my calculation wrong or am I really paying more for electric that using gas.
How long have you had your Escape?
Which model?
Did you consider other models such as Rav4 Prime?
Would you recommend it over the Rav4 Prime?

61435269-11115969-The_driver_of_the_Citroen_in_the_background_crashed_into_another-a-46_1660661902036.jpg
Electric 'self-driving' BMW test car veers into oncoming traffic leaving one dead and nine injured in mass pile-up in Germany​

“One person has died and nine were seriously injured after an electric and partly-automated BMW test car veered into oncoming traffic in Germany, triggering a series of collisions involving four vehicles.”

61435269-11115969-The_driver_of_the_Citroen_in_the_background_crashed_into_another-a-46_1660661902036.jpg
Electric 'self-driving' BMW test car veers into oncoming traffic leaving one dead and nine injured in mass pile-up in Germany​

“One person has died and nine were seriously injured after an electric and partly-automated BMW test car veered into oncoming traffic in Germany, triggering a series of collisions involving four vehicles.”

Troll denied

“BMW confirmed that the crash had involved one of its models and that the vehicle was equipped with Level 2 driver assistance systems. In such cases 'the driver always remains responsible', a spokesperson said in an emailed statement.”

Troll denied

“BMW confirmed that the crash had involved one of its models and that the vehicle was equipped with Level 2 driver assistance systems. In such cases 'the driver always remains responsible', a spokesperson said in an emailed statement.”
“Troll”?

I don’t follow you.

A. I didn’t write that headline

B. I posted an article about an electric vehicle in the board’s electric vehicle thread.

C. Why so defensive and aggressive? Don’t fear information.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
“Troll”?

I don’t follow you.

A. I didn’t write that headline

B. I posted an article about an electric vehicle in the board’s electric vehicle thread.

C. Why so defensive and aggressive? Don’t fear information.

Why did you post the article? Kinda random for this thread since it ultimately had nothing to do with the vehicle being electric.

The Daily Mail should probably never be linked unless it's to make fun of.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT