ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Extremely emotional parents at Marlboro BOE meeting.

Maybe you should wait until they go to court. It appears a great deal of of untold facts but there are those who make the claim this was being swept under the rug. You trust too much what towns want the taxpayers to know. The towns are bought off… just a fact of life .
Wait for the facts to come out instead of speculating based on rumors? You mean like I am doing?

Reactions: Rhuarc and mildone
Maybe you should wait until they go to court. It appears a great deal of of untold facts but there are those who make the claim this was being swept under the rug. You trust too much what towns want the taxpayers to know. The towns are bought off… just a fact of life .
Of course everybody should wait for the case to go to court. The court has rules of evidence where most of the BS narrative is excluded and some semblance of truth can be determined.

But everybody wants to try the accused in the court of public opinion, try them in the media. and nowadays, people seem to be okay with that.

Wait for the facts to come out instead of speculating based on rumors? You mean like I am doing?
Read … you in a way accused “Booby” of being somewhat uniformed… NJ.com Monmouth county article makes it appear the Capt. or Chief was FOS.

Sounds like an ugly situation.

To nit pick the board. The guy said “Id like to make a motion to change council”.
You can’t “make” a motion. You have to move a motion. Anything done after that in regards to his “motion” is technically invalid and would not stand up in court if challenged.
Just an FYI.

You began the accusatory script which in some sense pointed out that I was stating a misinterpretation of the incident and how it evolved. The facts … it took the police department and prosecutor a month to charge her even though I believe a witness and visual was available. FWIW: I would always go by the premise innocent until proven guilty in a court of law… it used to be accepted belief not so much so for sometime now.Are you good with IUPG like in many higher level cases😜…. If you are that’s great .

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
But everybody wants to try the accused in the court of public opinion, try them in the media. and nowadays, people seem to be okay with that.

Don't forget about the public flogging!

That’s crazy

Not as crazy as <insert some outlandish tangential issue here to hijack the thread>

Seriously there appears to be conflicting "facts" surrounding this issue, about the only thing known is that the teacher inappropriately touched the girl, the girl's parents raised holy hell at a school board meeting, the police at some point (when is one of the conflicting facts) were informed about this and that the teacher was suspended at some point.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
I can't believe some of you put so much energy into judging a situation that doesn't impact you in any way. Next topic: Is Taylor Swift truly a tortured poet or just annoying?

Not a good look for my alma mater. If this is such a cut and dried matter, why don’t they file a civil suit?

Problem is parents that go to these meetings to fight for their kids very much like these 2 parents did are currently followed by the alphabet soup agencies and labeled domestic terrorist. WTF has happened to the country we grew up in? Second straight day of a bomb threat and finally yesterday they charged the sick bitch.

LOL. This again?

I don’t get it. The story said another teacher witness the event. Do teachers have a blue wall too?

Maybe that teacher did her/his job and reported to the principal? That's really all they can do. It's then up to the principal and superintendent and BOE to handle the matter. Now, did they drag their feet here, possibly and likely, but these things can't be handled in a matter of a couple of minutes. Sometimes it takes days or weeks.

For every story we hear about this, we don't hear about the student or parent who accused a teacher of something and it turns out it was made up.

This is why its important to understand the facts around this. For example, was she really shipped around to various schools due to other "issues" or was she, in fact, a respected teacher? If it was the latter, certainly the investigation is going to likely last longer than if she had previous issues.

Last edited:
This is funny? God help us.

The funny part is a certain subset of this population thinking that if you voice displeasure at a school board meeting or criticize something the school board has done, you suddenly will find yourself on the FBI hit list.

If that's the case, my town is in deep shit after our last school board meeting.

PS - Yes, I am sure you can find one off incidents here but by and large, thousands of concerned parents aren't suddenly finding themselves as a focus of the FBI because they showed up at a school board meeting and criticized school boards.

Last edited:
Maybe that teacher did her/his job and reported to the principal? That's really all they can do. It's then up to the principal and superintendent and BOE to handle the matter. Now, did they drag their feet here, possibly and likely, but these things can't be handled in a matter of a couple of minutes. Sometimes it takes days or weeks.

For every story we hear about this, we don't hear about the student or parent who accused a teacher of something and it turns out it was made up.

This is why its important to understand the facts around this. For example, was she really shipped around to various schools due to other "issues" or was she, in fact, a respected teacher? If it was the latter, certainly the investigation is going to likely last longer than if she had previous issues.
So eyewitness account isn’t good enough now? I’m fine with investigation but teacher needs to be on leave.

This is funny? God help us.
Nobody here would think it funny if a teacher molested a student. However, none us here knows if that actually happened or not. All we have at the moment is media reports of stuff others have alleged. The media (all of it) is unreliable with this stuff.

Until the supposed incident gets to trial and the accused is tried under the rules of evidence, which exclude a ton of BS that is always present in the media and on the internet, nobody really knows what happened. Even after the case is resolved (trial, plea agreement, dismissal), we STILL won't necessarily know what really happened.

And, IMO, it's none of our business anyway. It's between the school and the affected parties, with the police and legal system hopefully acting as seekers of the truth.

Also IMO, we, as a society, have become far too quickly judgemental and far too invested in trading in rumor, speculation, and hearsay.

Reactions: dconifer
So eyewitness account isn’t good enough now? I’m fine with investigation but teacher needs to be on leave.
Nobody said not to put the teacher on leave. But only a judge/jury that hears all the admissible evidence should be able to determine if the eyewitness account is good enough or not.

Eyewitness accounts can be notoriously unreliable. We have no idea if the witness has a grudge against the teacher, for instance. Or if the witness innocently misinterpreted what occurred. Which happens all the time.

Let the case get to trial.

When someone's career is on the line? We may not like, especially after we now have more facts, but yes, you can't really just act immediately on an eyewitness account.

I am not defending the school board here as they appear to have made missteps but I am not surprised and pretty much expect that a situation like this would take days, if not weeks, to be rectified. I do agree that placing her on leave was probably a logical step missed by the principal/board.

Nobody here would think it funny if a teacher molested a student. However, none us here knows if that actually happened or not. All we have at the moment is media reports of stuff others have alleged. The media (all of it) is unreliable with this stuff.

Until the supposed incident gets to trial and the accused is tried under the rules of evidence, which exclude a ton of BS that is always present in the media and on the internet, nobody really knows what happened. Even after the case is resolved (trial, plea agreement, dismissal), we STILL won't necessarily know what really happened.

And, IMO, it's none of our business anyway. It's between the school and the affected parties, with the police and legal system hopefully acting as seekers of the truth.

Also IMO, we, as a society, have become far too quickly judgemental and far too invested in trading in rumor, speculation, and hearsay.

FWIW, I was referencing the part where he claimed the FBI was out to get parents advocating/fighting for their children at school board meetings.

Reactions: mildone
Nobody said not to put the teacher on leave. But only a judge/jury that hears all the admissible evidence should be able to determine if the eyewitness account is good enough or not.

Eyewitness accounts can be notoriously unreliable. We have no idea if the witness has a grudge against the teacher, for instance. Or if the witness innocently misinterpreted what occurred. Which happens all the time.

Let the case get to trial.
Video of this doesn't lie. Clearly stated there is video evidence and it's been in possession of all parties necessary to have a say and arrest.

PS - Yes, I am sure you can find one off incidents here but by and large, thousands of concerned parents aren't suddenly finding themselves as a focus of the FBI because they showed up at a school board meeting and criticized school boards.

Like the Loudon County, Virginia case with a parent arrested? Yes, the accused has the right to a trial with rules of evidence. But if the preliminary reports are not outlandish, I think administrative leave can be appropriate. You seem to think that there are thousands of parents bringing false accusations. I'm sure a lot of parents complain about grades. But I don't think bogus charges of this nature are routinely made.

At Montclair High Mr Rob was our defensive ends coach and gym teacher….
He played fullback at Grambling and would stuff you in a locker if you bullied or picked on someone, he’d kick you square in the ass hard in front of the entire class if you were disrespectful or inappropriate.
We loved Coach Rob, he was the most respected teacher in School.
We had a great science teacher/championship track coach at my HS was the man who demanded the respect that he got and earned. Slapped me and the starting QB in the face so hard for fighting in his classroom that my ears were ringing for a week. Needless to say we never fought inside his classroom anymore.

Like the Loudon County, Virginia case with a parent arrested? Yes, the accused has the right to a trial with rules of evidence. But if the preliminary reports are not outlandish, I think administrative leave can be appropriate. You seem to think that there are thousands of parents bringing false accusations. I'm sure a lot of parents complain about grades. But I don't think bogus charges of this nature are routinely made.

That wasn't the FBI. That was local police called in by the superintendent after the meeting got a bit unruly. The father in question, was yelled out by a pro-LGBTQ mother and he threatened her back and at one point witnesses said he balled his fist up like he was going to punch her. Police tried to de-escalate the situation, he was emotional and ended up getting arrested.

I actually sympathize with him given what happened to his daughter. I can't imagine how angry he was. But this was not an example of the FBI lying in the weeds waiting to nab some random parent complaining at a school board meeting.

With regards to this case, I don't think it's thousands. But wouldn't a dozen be enough? If a dozen teachers were fired immediately over accusations and their names were trashed and then it turned out the kid had lied? Too late, the damage is done. Like you said, administrative leave seemed appropriate in this case, especially since one of the witnesses was a fellow teacher.

We had a great science teacher/championship track coach at my HS was the man who demanded the respect that he got and earned. Slapped me and the starting QB in the face so hard for fighting in his classroom that my ears were ringing for a week. Needless to say we never fought inside his classroom anymore.

Video of this doesn't lie. Clearly stated there is video evidence and it's been in possession of all parties necessary to have a say and arrest.
So then why bother with a trial?

Video lies all the time. Among other ways video can be misleading, it can exclude critically important context before and after the video clip. Let a judge rule on the admissability of that video. Let 12 peers of the accused watch the video and determine if they believe it shows criminal behavior.

What is the value of reaching a conclusion about any of this right this moment? What, for any of us here in the Rivals forum, is the great big hurry? What bad things happen to us if we engage in some calm patience and await the results of the trial?

Maybe the teacher's a monster. Maybe not. I don't know. And I'm sure not going to condemn anybody whom I did not personally see do something wrong until all evidence is gathered, all testimony presented, etc.

Unless the law has been recently changed, teachers are required to report instances of abuse to the authorities, not just the principal. If they reported to principal only and the principal failed to report to police or DYFS if it was parental abuse, the teacher is held liable. Typically principals would have teacher sit with them while he/she called the police.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Unless the law has been recently changed, teachers are required to report instances of abuse to the authorities, not just the principal. If they reported to principal only and the principal failed to report to police or DYFS if it was parental abuse, the teacher is held liable. Typically principals would have teacher sit with them while he/she called the police.
Same thing I was thinking. I had this argument with my wife a few times when she was teaching and told me things that were happening at the school. Employer/school policy doesn’t override state reporting law.

Interesting, I had thought the law required the teacher report up the chain in cases like this. But I am probably wrong.

Thanks.

Article in nj.com states from Monmouth county that she was NOT charged for a month so someone is not telling the story.
The article says the school board notified authorities immediately. The charges were not filed for a month. Normally when someone is accused of something, there is a preliminary investigation to decide what charges should be filed.

Reactions: rufancoe00
When someone's career is on the line? We may not like, especially after we now have more facts, but yes, you can't really just act immediately on an eyewitness account.

I am not defending the school board here as they appear to have made missteps but I am not surprised and pretty much expect that a situation like this would take days, if not weeks, to be rectified. I do agree that placing her on leave was probably a logical step missed by the principal/board.
What’s the more important part of all this ? The teacher losing her job or the 13 year girl who allegedly was touched inappropriately around her crotch? .There is a very weird trend going on with younger married women teachers and teenage boys .

The article says the school board notified authorities immediately. The charges were not filed for a month. Normally when someone is accused of something, there is a preliminary investigation to decide what charges should be filed.
Depends upon who the prosecutor is and his ties politically to the members on that Board …think not? Then you will fail to realize the politics involved in this particular case. Not a good look.

What’s the more important part of all this ? The teacher losing her job or the 13 year girl who allegedly was touched inappropriately around her crotch? .There is a very weird trend going on with younger married women teachers and teenage boys .

And…Bob weighs in. As always, the opposite of enlightening.

• Haha
Reactions: Rutgers NJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT