ADVERTISEMENT

OT-First day of Spring snowstorm

Snowing moderately at 34-35F - snow starting to accumulate a bit on cartops, but it needs to cool down a bit more before snow will accumulate easily. Supposedly the heaviest precip is supposed to be between 9 pm and 2 am - let's see if we can get an inch or two then...

It had been a mix of rain, sleet, and snow here from 5 to 7. Light snow since then. Starting to stick on the deck but not street or grass/sand. No biggie.

Down to 32F and snowing lightly, with snow starting to accumulate on cars/grass - have a light coating of maybe 1/8". If we're going to get some accumulations now is the time.

Still snowing lightly and 32F - have about 1/4" on the cars/grass, with nothing on paved surfaces. Going to need more intensity to get any significant accumulation. Starting to look like a bust.

Last edited:
NWS in Philly just threw in the towel, saying most will get less than an inch and nobody is going to get more than an inch or so even near the coast. So, bustarama. We have 1/4" here and it's still snowing, but not heavily enough to accumulate much at 33F. Here's the update from a few minutes ago...

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM THIS MORNING/...
HAVE DECREASED THE SNOWFALL TOTALS WITH THE 1230 AM UPDATE.
TEMPERATURES ARE STILL ABOVE FREEZING IN EASTERN PA EXCEPT FOR THE
SOUTHERN POCONOS WHERE THE TEMP-DEWPOINT SPREAD IS PREVENTING ANY
PRECIPITATION FROM FALLING. BASICALLY LITTLE OR NO ACCUMULATION
EXPECTED NORTH AND WEST OF I-95, WITH PERHAPS AN INCH OR SO
CLOSER TO THE COAST, BUT EVEN THERE SNOW WILL HAVE A DIFFICULT
TIME ACCUMULATING. THE ADVISORY WILL CONTINUE FOR NOW SINCE IT/S
ALREADY UP, BUT EXPECT THAT WILL COME DOWN WITH THE NEXT UPDATE AT
330 AM. NOT EVEN SURE IF THIS CAN BE CLASSIFIED AS A NUISANCE
EVENT SINCE VERY LITTLE SNOW IS STICKING OR ACCUMULATING ON ROAD
SURFACES.

Comical this thread...people banned because they disagreed it was going to snow and said this was overhyped and it was. Fact is there was some hype from Numbers earlier in this thread about its likely we see several inches and its likely out to sea is off tbe table. Modela were cutting back drastically yet the weenie board hype machine rolles on. March storms are difficult so just taking qpf and snowfall maps and extrapolating doesnt work. Mt holly nailed my forecast being pretty consistent with inch or less and actually we got barely any accumulation on car tops.

So I guess on a minor marginal event we have reached the point where its called trolling if you disagree if its going to snow...can we keep moderation out of the weather threads because I dont see where it belongs

People were banned? For real? Wow it takes the usual drama queeney-ness to a whole other level!

Weather nerds...we can be such a funny (weird) lot!

For what it is worth, this whole event seemed like not much for days...anyone with even a modicum of meteorological knowledge could have said so as recently as 3 days ago...but wish-casting is a very strong urge!

Comical this thread...people banned because they disagreed it was going to snow and said this was overhyped and it was. Fact is there was some hype from Numbers earlier in this thread about its likely we see several inches and its likely out to sea is off tbe table. Modela were cutting back drastically yet the weenie board hype machine rolles on. March storms are difficult so just taking qpf and snowfall maps and extrapolating doesnt work. Mt holly nailed my forecast being pretty consistent with inch or less and actually we got barely any accumulation on car tops.

So I guess on a minor marginal event we have reached the point where its called trolling if you disagree if its going to snow...can we keep moderation out of the weather threads because I dont see where it belongs

We completely agree on moderation, but that's not my call - I do wish people would keep posts on topic in the weather threads, but I wouldn't ban anyone for doing so. Completely disagree on me overhyping anything - when I posted that several inches were likely and OTS unlikely, that's what the NWS (and every media outlet I looked at) had predicted at the time and the NWS simply doesn't hype.

It also didn't go "out to sea." which to me is a complete whiff - we got light snow for several hours, but with light intensity and surface temps slightly above freezing, the result was little accumulation anywhere in NJ, according to the NWS.

But while it wasn't a complete OTS whiff, it was a pretty bad bust for everyone, especially along or east of the NJ TPK. You were predicted to get an inch of snow yesterday morning (and 2" on Friday) and got very little, while I was predicted to get 2" yesterday morning and got 1/4" and folks near the coast were predicted to get 2-4" and the most I've seen reported by the NWS is 2" in Toms River (with most near the coast getting 1-2"; 4Real's 3" looks to be an extreme outlier).

On the other hand, the NWS in NYC did pretty well with their 1-3" forecast for NYC (they were a bit high for NENJ thought), 2-4" for Nassau/western Suffolk and 4-6" for eastern LI all verifying.

Yep. I measure in 2 places - on the coldest car in the driveway (the Saab that only gets started about once every two weeks) and the back patio table. Both were identical. It started accumulating at around 7pm last night and quit a little after 9, then restarted about 10:30. No idea what time it stopped.

People were banned? For real? Wow it takes the usual drama queeney-ness to a whole other level!

Weather nerds...we can be such a funny (weird) lot!

For what it is worth, this whole event seemed like not much for days...anyone with even a modicum of meteorological knowledge could have said so as recently as 3 days ago...but wish-casting is a very strong urge!

So, I assume you're including the Mt. Holly NWS folks in your comments about people obviously not having a "modicum of meteorological knowledge" since they were calling for a general 3-6" event as late as Friday morning - they didn't back off until after the 12Z runs Friday afternoon. Sure, from that point on, it was always looking like a 1-2" event for most with more near the shore, but even that didn't verify very well.

Yep. I measure in 2 places - on the coldest car in the driveway (the Saab that only gets started about once every two weeks) and the back patio table. Both were identical. It started accumulating at around 7pm last night and quit a little after 9, then restarted about 10:30. No idea what time it stopped.

Congratulations - as a few folks have said on AmericanWx - Monmouth County, the new snow capital of NJ...

Reactions: RUsSKii
The guys thread banned were being persistent asshats, not just disagreeing about the weather. And they are in almost every weather thread.

I have bus on ignore because he rarely if ever contributes anything worthwhile. Roc is more of a subject troll around weather.

What am suppose to do with three crates of canned bread?

There actually was about 2 inches of snow and ice on my Car but that was about it.

The thing about trolls is, if you totally ignore them, you win. I don't mean put them on ignore, which I never do with anybody. I mean, just see it's them and skip past it. It's MUCH more satisfying that way.

So, my advice, @RU848789 my old friend, is to form a new habit of simply ignoring posts in these weather threads that are just trolling you and trying to get under your skin. If you respond in any way at all, they win.

Winning on the internet is almost NEVER about being right.

Our backyard this morning:

BackyardSnow%202016-03-21_zpst2u0pwev.jpg

In case anyone is curious, here's the latest report from the NWS in Mt. Holly; I'll add the NWS-NYC report for NENJ once they publish it. 4Real - you should send in a report, as your 3" would be the most in NJ.

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS
SNOWFALL OF INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

NEW JERSEY

...ATLANTIC COUNTY...
ESTELL MANOR 1.9 730 AM 3/21 CO-OP OBSERVER
HAMMONTON 1.2 705 AM 3/21 0.25 W.E.
1 SSW PORT REPUBLIC 0.8 700 AM 3/21 COCORAHS
ATLANTIC CITY INTL A 0.5 100 AM 3/21 ASOS

...BURLINGTON COUNTY...
MOUNT HOLLY WFO 0.3 400 AM 3/21 NWS OFFICE
FLORENCE 0.3 200 AM 3/21 TRAINED SPOTTER

...CAPE MAY COUNTY...
1 NNW WOODBINE 1.5 500 AM 3/21 COCORAHS
CAPE MAY 1.3 745 AM 3/21 CO-OP OBSERVER

...CUMBERLAND COUNTY...
PORT NORRIS 0.4 500 AM 3/21 SOCIAL MEDIA

...GLOUCESTER COUNTY...
SEWELL T 710 AM 3/21 TRAINED SPOTTER

...MERCER COUNTY...
2 NW HOPEWELL TWP 0.4 700 AM 3/21 COCORAHS
1 NNW LAWRENCE TWP 0.2 630 AM 3/21 COCORAHS
LAWRENCE TWP 0.1 715 AM 3/21 SOCIAL MEDIA
EWING 0.1 530 AM 3/21 TRAINED SPOTTER
WEST WINDSOR TWP T 715 AM 3/21 SOCIAL MEDIA

...MIDDLESEX COUNTY...
WSW SOUTH RIVER 0.2 700 AM 3/21 COCORAHS

...MONMOUTH COUNTY...
NEPTUNE TWP 2.0 647 AM 3/21 SOCIAL MEDIA
4 SSW HOWELL TWP 1.4 701 AM 3/21 COCORAHS
1 W LONG BRANCH 1.2 700 AM 3/21 COCORAHS
COLTS NECK 0.5 743 AM 3/21 TRAINED SPOTTER

...MORRIS COUNTY...
1 NW MORRIS TWP 0.3 650 AM 3/21 COCORAHS
1 W RANDOLPH TWP 0.3 615 AM 3/21 COCORAHS

...OCEAN COUNTY...
TOMS RIVER 2.1 650 AM 3/21 SOCIAL MEDIA
3 NNW JACKSON TWP 2.0 430 AM 3/21 COCORAHS
1 SW POINT PLEASANT 1.9 700 AM 3/21 COCORAHS
3 SSE BERKELEY TWP 1.5 700 AM 3/21 COCORAHS
5 N LITTLE EGG HARBO 0.8 500 AM 3/21 COCORAHS

...SALEM COUNTY...
2 S PITTSGROVE TWP 0.3 500 AM 3/21 COCORAHS

...SOMERSET COUNTY...
GREEN BROOK TWP 0.5 629 AM 3/21 ELEV 500FT.
1 NNW BERNARDS TWP 0.3 600 AM 3/21 COCORAHS

FLORENCE 0.3 200 AM 3/21 TRAINED SPOTTER
SEWELL T 710 AM 3/21 TRAINED SPOTTER
EWING 0.1 530 AM 3/21 TRAINED SPOTTER
COLTS NECK 0.5 743 AM 3/21 TRAINED SPOTTER
Wasn't there a movie about trained spotters?

The thing about trolls is, if you totally ignore them, you win. I don't mean put them on ignore, which I never do with anybody. I mean, just see it's them and skip past it. It's MUCH more satisfying that way.

So, my advice, @RU848789 my old friend, is to form a new habit of simply ignoring posts in these weather threads that are just trolling you and trying to get under your skin. If you respond in any way at all, they win.

Bite me. :>) I know all that, but, as you know, given that you've heard my wife say it countless times, I do like to argue for sport...

People say this a lot... but I almost never look at the names of posters until after I've read their post, if at all. Maybe I'm just abnormal. If a comment is especially good and I click like, then I try to take note of who posted it. If a comment is especially bad, I'll also take note of it. I also note who I'm replying to when posting. If someone routinely posts crap, though, they may get tossed on the ignore list so I don't have to bother with them anymore.

It also always gives the "show ignored content" button, which I will occasionally use to see what someone has said... but it is invariably another dumbass comment that wasn't worth the time reading.

The ignore button is really the ultimate weapon against trolls - because you aren't even tempted to respond, because you don't even see them at all. Ignore them enough, and they will go away.

That is slightly different for subject trolls, though, who are just normal posters everywhere else... but seem to put the douchebag hat on when they enter a thread about a particular topic. Not really fair to put them on ignore... so you have to wade through their nonsense sometimes when you stumble upon their particular sore subject.

Reactions: RUScrew85
People say this a lot... but I almost never look at the names of posters until after I've read their post, if at all. Maybe I'm just abnormal. If a comment is especially good and I click like, then I try to take note of who posted it. If a comment is especially bad, I'll also take note of it. I also note who I'm replying to when posting. If someone routinely posts crap, though, they may get tossed on the ignore list so I don't have to bother with them anymore.

It also always gives the "show ignored content" button, which I will occasionally use to see what someone has said... but it is invariably another dumbass comment that wasn't worth the time reading.

The ignore button is really the ultimate weapon against trolls - because you aren't even tempted to respond, because you don't even see them at all. Ignore them enough, and they will go away.

That is slightly different for subject trolls, though, who are just normal posters everywhere else... but seem to put the douchebag hat on when they enter a thread about a particular topic. Not really fair to put them on ignore... so you have to wade through their nonsense sometimes when you stumble upon their particular sore subject.
I'm a bit weird (understatement) in that I see trolling posts as fuel for comedic responses.

Reactions: RocktheRac
So, I assume you're including the Mt. Holly NWS folks in your comments about people obviously not having a "modicum of meteorological knowledge" since they were calling for a general 3-6" event as late as Friday morning - they didn't back off until after the 12Z runs Friday afternoon. Sure, from that point on, it was always looking like a 1-2" event for most with more near the shore, but even that didn't verify very well.

Mt holly calling for 3-6...for who...coastal NJ...they certainly were not saying that for inland CJ

1-2 calls because on the safe side that is what was appropriate but everyone knows that snow falling on light rates isnt going to accumulate in marginal situations...by yesterday my forecast was inch or less

Mt holly calling for 3-6...for who...coastal NJ...they certainly were not saying that for inland CJ

1-2 calls because on the safe side that is what was appropriate but everyone knows that snow falling on light rates isnt going to accumulate in marginal situations...by yesterday my forecast was inch or less

You got it right. 1-2" if it had stuck maybe but here along the coast it melted as soon as it hit the ground. Even raised surfaces didn't have near an inch.

Sigh. The NWS was certainly calling for 3-6", roughly on Friday morning. Please go to post 51 in this thread, where I said the following at 5 am Friday morning and then read the excerpt from Friday morning's NWS AFD, below and then make your apology. And some of you wonder why I get a little annoyed sometimes.

"NWS in Philly talking about similar 3-6" amounts, but their map only goes through 9 pm Sunday, so I didn't bother posting. Still 2.5 days out, so time for some significant model shifts. I'd say we're almost certainly going to get at least an inch or two of snow and are likely to get several inches of snow, but the big snowfalls are looking less likely; no snow is very unlikely."

And here's what the NWS actually had to say (version 43 currently):

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
410 AM EDT FRI MAR 18 2016

LONG TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/...

SO SUBSTANTIAL PRECIP IS EXPECTED OVER THE FORECAST AREA MAINLY LATE
SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY EVENING. THE QUESTION THEN BECOMES ONE
OF P-TYPE. THIS SEEMS TO BE MAINLY A SNOW VS RAIN SITUATION...ALTHO
SOME SLEET COULD PERHAPS MIX IN AT TIMES OVER TRANSITIONAL AREAS. P-
TYPES FROM THE NAM AND ECMWF SUGGEST THAT NORTHER DELMAVA AND SOUTH
NJ WILL SEE A WINTRY MIX OR EVEN JUST RAIN NEAR THE COAST...WHILE
AREAS N/W OF PHL SHOULD SEE MOSTLY SNOW WITH SEVERAL INCHES
ACCUMULATION POSSIBLE.
RAIN/SLEET MIXING WITH SNOW WILL OF COURSE
GREATLY LIMIT ACCUMULATIONS IN THOSE AREAS FARTHER S/E. OVERALL THIS
IS A RATHER COMPLEX AND RELATIVELY LOW-CONFIDENCE SITUATION.

AFTER ALL MANIPULATION OF P-TYPE...QPF... SNOW AMOUNT ETC...CAME
UP WITH A BAND OF ROUGHLY 4 TO 5 INCHES OF STORM-TOTAL SNOW ACROSS
THE NW HALF OF THE FCST AREA.
THIS IS A LITTLE ON THE HIGH END OF
WPC PROB GUIDANCE BUT WILL GO WITH IT FOR NOW. LATEST ECMWF DOES
NOT INSPIRE CONFIDENCE. HEAVIER SNOW...RELATIVELY...IS EXPECTED ON
SUNDAY AND ESPECIALLY IN THE AFTN.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product...format=CI&version=43&glossary=1&highlight=off

Sigh. The NWS was certainly calling for 3-6", roughly on Friday morning. Please go to post 51 in this thread, where I said the following at 5 am Friday morning and then read the excerpt from Friday morning's NWS AFD, below and then make your apology. And some of you wonder why I get a little annoyed sometimes.

"NWS in Philly talking about similar 3-6" amounts, but their map only goes through 9 pm Sunday, so I didn't bother posting. Still 2.5 days out, so time for some significant model shifts. I'd say we're almost certainly going to get at least an inch or two of snow and are likely to get several inches of snow, but the big snowfalls are looking less likely; no snow is very unlikely."

ACCUMULATION POSSIBLE.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product...format=CI&version=43&glossary=1&highlight=off

I dont recall one single snowmap saying 3-6 inches that Mt holly put up....I never saw this in my official 7 day forecast did I?

I dont recall one single snowmap saying 3-6 inches that Mt holly put up....I never saw this in my official 7 day forecast did I?

Not sure what you're getting at with your questions, but they clearly had it in their AFD, as I posted and they had a map showing snowfalll through 9 pm Sunday, which included about 2/3 of a 3-6" accumulation, especially for SW portions of the area, since the storm would be hitting them earlier. The NWS in NYC also had a map up showing 3-6" for their entire area for the whole storm, which I posted and discussed in post 51 (this included all of NE NJ). I don't recall if they would've put the accumulations in the text forecasts or the point and click forecasts - they often don't put them in until 36-48 hours before the event and this was right on the edge of that.

He and I have known each other outside the forum for many years. So we're onto each others dirty tricks.

I'm a baiter. But I'm not a master of it.
I'm sure that the thousands of hours of practice you put in will someday allow you to reach that goal.

ACCUMULATION POSSIBLE.

So @bac2therac, will you at least admit you were wrong in your post above? You never admitted I was right with my one weather thread earlier this winter, when I said we'd get cold weather for 1-2 weeks, plus several snow chances (and we got record cold, plus generally colder than normal weather for nearly 2 weeks, plus above normal snowfall for that period). Now I'm wondering if you're capable of admitting you were wrong on a simple post where I clearly showed you were wrong. So? By the way, I was completely wrong on my call for 2" at my house with the last storm (got 1/4"). See how easy that was?

And @DJ Spanky - it would be nice of you to confirm that I had nothing to do with WhiteBus or Roc getting banned from this thread - they and others still believe I complained to the mods to make that happen. Thanks.

By the way, it's supposed to get pretty cold for April late this weekend through early next week (below freezing for lows with highs in the upper 30s/low 40s) and there's potential for some early April snowfall about 7-8 days from now.

Way too early to start a thread on, but April snows are pretty rare - last decent snowfall for most of NJ in April was the 4/7/03 storm, which dumped 3-7" on most of Central/North Jersey, despite much of the snow falling during the day (intensity will drive accumulations even in April).

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2003/07-Apr-03.html

Also, even if there's no snow, there are folks who do gardening and plantings and if they do them before this upcoming cold snap, they could have trouble with the cold. Could be worth a thread just for the unusual cold...

By the way, it's supposed to get pretty cold for April late this weekend through early next week (below freezing for lows with highs in the upper 30s/low 40s) and there's potential for some early April snowfall about 7-8 days from now.

Way too early to start a thread on, but April snows are pretty rare - last decent snowfall for most of NJ in April was the 4/7/03 storm, which dumped 3-7" on most of Central/North Jersey, despite much of the snow falling during the day (intensity will drive accumulations even in April).

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2003/07-Apr-03.html

Also, even if there's no snow, there are folks who do gardening and plantings and if they do them before this upcoming cold snap, they could have trouble with the cold. Could be worth a thread just for the unusual cold...

Was that the year the 1st week of MLB had to be postponed for teams playing in the NE?

Going back to the 60's our first 2 HS golf matches were postponed by a snowstorm. Sucked for me because I was scheduled to play. I ended up getting booted from the team 10 days later but that's a whole different story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT