ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Fran Brown hired by Syracuse

I can see why. But again - never a head coach to being a P5 head guy - very risky no matter how well he recruits.
Not even a D coordinator. It’s going to be tough for a young guy like him to get quality staff. Think of the early Schiano years. He had to pull out his high school and college coaches to fill out a staff.

Would be nice if Schiano can produce a few 7-9 win seasons.
6 might be a start and don't count out getting 7 for this year.
As for Fran being Schiano's replacement, he better be having 10 win seasons up north or Brown should stay playing in the cold .
Rutgers needs to replace Greg with a HC that wins big every year and 7-9 wins a seaon at Syracuse doesn't put Fran Brown in that category.
Hell 7-9 wins a season was something Greg 1 did and by the time he headed south that wasn't good enough for some RU fans.
Aim high, pay what it takes and don't settle for a HC that wins 7to 9

Reactions: czxqa
How is THAT supposed to happen ?
Don't know but know Rutgers will be a program that just falls short of being a constant top 25 team unles its willing to invest in its football program
When RU first started playing a strictly D-1A schedule it kept a D-1AA budget and was a losing program hiring 2nd teir HCs because RU was running the program on the cheap
Once it started investing more the wins came, but then on the cheap came back and 2nd tier cheapies led to disaster
Now being in the B1G it's put up or shut upand be glad we have Greg because he's the best RU's willing to pay for and he'll probably make RU a constant 6-7 winner every year.
So how's Rutgers going to do it, only the boosters can say if they are willing to help because Rutgers can't spend on football like other programs can.
For every extra dollar spent 2 negative articles about that will be published by the Star Ledger getting the residents of New Jersey up in arms over the excessive money the Star Ledger claims is being wasted by Rutgers on it's football program

So only heavey support by private parties donating to the football program will make what U said happen and I doubt it will.
So be happy with minior bowls and just falling short of top 25 status most years.
Also expect the we should have hired ( insert name here) not understanding that guy wasn't going to come with what RU was offering him

Last edited:
Ash and his crew were killing it recruiting-wise their first year - until reality/the actual season began. I'd be shocked if Fran doesn't get a top 30 class plus some impact transfers. The key to me is how much money did Cuse give him for his assistants pool? He has to put a great staff together to win there. It is just such a hard job.
I will be shocked if he gets a Top 30 class. He is a great salesman but then there is the product. Unfortunately I do expect him to get a couple of NJ players we would have wanted.

Not even a D coordinator. It’s going to be tough for a young guy like him to get quality staff. Think of the early Schiano years. He had to pull out his high school and college coaches to fill out a staff.
There is a huge difference between being a recruiter and a HC particularly in todays age. HC are general mangers now. They do some recruiting but not nearly what they once did. it’s a massive jump for someone who’s never done it. But let’s be real. Syracuse has zero rizz. This is a desperation move when you have no real move. Hit and hope.

The Cuse fans are united and are happy with the Fran Brown hire with only maybe 1-2 exceptions. One crazy fan think Rutgers fans are pissed, Lol. His hire will have little affect on Rutgers recruiting.
Agreed, very little, if any, affect on Rutgers recruiting as a B1G program, but if I was UConn, Pitt, West Virginia, and BC I would be very concerned, he will pull kids from those programs, especially if he starts winning.

Agreed, very little, if any, affect on Rutgers recruiting as a B1G program, but if I was UConn, Pitt, West Virginia, and BC I would be very concerned, he will pull kids from those programs, especially if he starts winning.
Pittsburgh fans so afraid that they don’t even a single post about Fran Brown being hired. Interesting, like they aren’t even in the same league.

BC is posting about Fran Brown and are laughing about Brown being such a great recruiter using the same words used for Jeff Hafley. They expect a failure since he‘s only a position coach. Fran is their third choice.

Last edited:
Pittsburgh fans so afraid that they don’t even a single post about Fran Brown being hired. Interesting, like they aren’t even in the same league.
What Pitt fans are left live in a state of delusion where they still believe that Penn State is their biggest rival. In reality they are much closer as a program to Temple than Penn State.

What Pitt fans are left live in a state of delusion where they still believe that Penn State is their biggest rival. In reality they are much closer as a program to Temple than Penn State.
While my first reaction was to say.. isn't that also true for us?

Contemplating that.. my brain says it is not true. That's a good thing.

On Fran Brown.. Syracuse is still looking to fight the last war. That is, they abandoned local and jersey recruits way back when. THAT.. was a big mistake. And now they are seeking to correct that. That is another mistake. They have to go national and pretend they are bigger than they are. Follow Notre Dame recruiting and Clemson and FSU and just follow and flirt with eh same players.. they won't get many, if any, and they shouldn't waste a lot of effort doing that... but to APPEAR to be in the same battles.. get some kids to mention them in the same breath. Overtime.. years.. it could help.

But this is an NIL and transfer thing now for rebuilds. Traditional recruiting... that's nice.. but what can you PAY? IMO.. everyone needs a coach who can recruit... $$$ MONEY PEOPLE $$$. How many of them are out there? Who knows.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
Ash and his crew were killing it recruiting-wise their first year - until reality/the actual season began. I'd be shocked if Fran doesn't get a top 30 class plus some impact transfers. The key to me is how much money did Cuse give him for his assistants pool? He has to put a great staff together to win there. It is just such a hard job.
Very good point. Would be interesting to see what he gets paid & how much money is left for the staff. Also wondering what kind of network he has among assistant coaches. He'll probably be looking at assistant coaches looking for a step up, vs established DC/OC.

Funny one article references him as coming from the Kirby Smart coaching tree, but I imagine if he bombs, the Cuse faithful will say he comes from the Schiano tree. 🤪

We have the lowest paid HC now. Ash was hired because he was cheap.
Dino Babers earned $4.06 million at Syracuse
Brown should be receiving around the same

Schiano signed an eight-year, $32 million deal, but it is not fully guaranteed.
Greg will make $4 million a year. If he is fired without cause at any point in the contract, he will be paid 76.875% of his remaining salary;

Hate to say it but Brown will out recruit Schiano in Jersey.
Right like the other SuperStar Recruiter, Jeff Hafley, all the Rutgers fans were harping about. Boston College got 1 New Jersey recruit for 2022, 2023, 2024 each year only. I think most Rutgers fan thought Jeff was the best Rutgers recruiter ever, maybe having Schiano as HC was the difference.

Boston College fans are laughing at Fran Brown hire since Syracuse is copying the same thing the they did hiring Jeff Hafley. Boston College is a more desirable college to go to due to their better education and the connection to the Catholic schools. Rutgers can no longer live on only NJ recruits. The 4 star and highly rated 3 stars are going to the Top 10 national programs and also other Big Ten schools. Recruiting is now national and I noticed there are less 4 stars in NJ lately.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRU2RU
If only that were the entire job description.

It's like Syracuse is trying harder to troll RU/steal R recruits than actually hire a competent HC.

A coaching idea that might as well have come by majority vote in that hundred-pages-long anti-RU thread.

TBH I think that is basically all they care about at this point. I don't think anyone in the ACC ever even thinks about them outside of maybe lacrosse.

I didn't think Fran Brown was a very good DB coach, but did want him to get a raise for his recruiting chops. So glad they chose to go with Joe Harasymiak. We have seen a lot less miscues in the D secondary, save for the Maryland game.

My friend made this point to me yesterday. Didn't our DBs get better after he left? And agree, other than UMD Joe H seems like the right choice at DC.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Seems like the poor man's Hafley hire

He was never even a coordinator

They have not recruited NJ well- or anywhere well- since last century

Our DBs improved after he left

Not sure what the angle is other than trolling RU, their big brother, the academically and athletically superior school not buried under snow and actually nearby the city they claim to rep

I bet Fran gets a few good south jersey recruits to Cuse. But being a head coach is way more than just recruiting. This is a big gamble on someone who hasn't even been a coordinator at the P5 level. Not saying he won't be successful because by all accounts he's a Class A individual.

I thought Fran would be hired by Temple tbh.

I would rather Schiano at Rutgers and Brown at Syracuse than Schiano at Syracuse and Brown at Rutgers. Definitely annoying, but not as bad as some are making it.

The facts don't support your statement.

Recruits want to go to programs that can increase their chances of going to the NFL.

If you look at recent (2021, 2022 and 2023) NFL Drafts of players from Penn State, Pitt and Temple, I think Pitt is closer to Penn State than Temple.

Penn State NFL Drafted Players (6/2021, 8/2022 and 5/2023) totaled 19 players.

Pitt NFL Drafted Players (6/2021, 2/2022 and 6/2023) totaled 14 players

Temple NFL Drafted Players (0/2021, 0/2022 and 0/2023) totaled 0 players.

Even with Pitt's 3-9 record this year Pitt (at this point) was able to get commits from 21 recruits which gives Pitt a team ranking of 31. Included Pitt has 2 NJ Top 20 commits (Yasin Willis RB/Rival 4-star and Davin Brewton Rival 3-star).

Not sure why it is necessary to denigrate another school just talking about another schools coaching hire.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
I would rather Schiano at Rutgers and Brown at Syracuse than Schiano at Syracuse and Brown at Rutgers. Definitely annoying, but not as bad as some are making it.

I'd rather have Schiano at Rutgers and Brown an assistant.

Reactions: wheezer
The facts don't support your statement.

Recruits want to go to programs that can increase their chances of going to the NFL.

If you look at recent (2021, 2022 and 2023) NFL Drafts of players from Penn State, Pitt and Temple, I think Pitt is closer to Penn State than Temple.

Penn State NFL Drafted Players (6/2021, 8/2022 and 5/2023) totaled 19 players.

Pitt NFL Drafted Players (6/2021, 2/2022 and 6/2023) totaled 14 players

Temple NFL Drafted Players (0/2021, 0/2022 and 0/2023) totaled 0 players.

Even with Pitt's 3-9 record this year Pitt (at this point) was able to get commits from 31 recruits which gives Pitt a team ranking of 31. Included Pitt has 2 NJ Top 20 commits (Yasin Willis RB/Rival 4-star and Davin Brewton Rival 3-star).

Not sure why it is necessary to denigrate another school just talking about another schools coaching hire.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Didn't Pitt get a verbal from Rivals #1 ranked NJ high school recruit in the 2024 class....running back from St. Joe's ?

Last edited:
You mean like Brown?

Was he actually a successful coach?
Other than some defensive recruiting it appears he wasn't a very good actual coach on the field.
Isn't our recruiting getting better year over year - even though Brown left?

Are there any offensive coaches we're dying to have return?
We'd be lucky if Brown hired Flood, McNulty, future HC Blazek, the HS coaches that Schiano 2.0 hired.
When was the last time we had an actual coach get poached for a promotion?

Brown is getting a promotion after leaving.
One which nearly everyone is saying he isn't qualified for and is being done purely for recruiting purposes?

be who it is, Brown or anyone else needs NIL money to recruit--does Syracuse have more than the rest??

Was he actually a successful coach?
Other than some defensive recruiting it appears he wasn't a very good actual coach on the field.
Isn't our recruiting getting better year over year - even though Brown left?

Are there any offensive coaches we're dying to have return?
We'd be lucky if Brown hired Flood, McNulty, future HC Blazek, the HS coaches that Schiano 2.0 hired.
When was the last time we had an actual coach get poached for a promotion?

Brown is getting a promotion after leaving.
One which nearly everyone is saying he isn't qualified for and is being done purely for recruiting purposes?

Flood as the OL coach would actually be a good hire. His problem was the Peter Principal.

I do have to give Cuse some credit- they made this hire quickly and didn't take months to hire the one person that wanted the job...

I do have to give Cuse some credit- they made this hire quickly and didn't take months to hire the one person that wanted the job...
You can’t take months, you can barely take a week or so because of all that’s compressed in December with signing day and portal. Thats why they’re trying to give a little space in the calendar so not so much is happening at one time.

I have no inside information. Here is what I see as objective facts as an outsider:
  • By all accounts Brown is a great recruiter.
  • Schiano hired Brown as one of his first hires.
  • The two seemed to have a great relationship (this is more my opinion).
  • The DC position came open at Rutgers and Schiano didn't hire Brown.
  • The DC that was hired was 4 years younger than Brown.
Based on these facts, my assumption is that Schiano had to know the following:
  • The Harasymiak hire would mean that Brown would move on.
  • Given his Northeast roots, there was a high probability that Brown would eventually land at a northeastern program and Rutgers would have to recruit against him.
So basically Schiano had to know that there would be a good possibility that this day would come, and where he would have to recruit against Brown at Temple, UConn, Syracuse, etc. Yet even with that knowledge Schiano decided that hiring Harasymiak was the right move for the program. Of course Schiano could be wrong, but given the way the defense has played it seems like the right move so far.

I have no inside information. Here is what I see as objective facts as an outsider:
  • By all accounts Brown is a great recruiter.
  • Schiano hired Brown as one of his first hires.
  • The two seemed to have a great relationship (this is more my opinion).
  • The DC position came open at Rutgers and Schiano didn't hire Brown.
  • The DC that was hired was 4 years younger than Brown.
Based on these facts, my assumption is that Schiano had to know the following:
  • The Harasymiak hire would mean that Brown would move on.
  • Given his Northeast roots, there was a high probability that Brown would eventually land at a northeastern program and Rutgers would have to recruit against him.
So basically Schiano had to know that there would be a good possibility that this day would come, and where he would have to recruit against Brown at Temple, UConn, Syracuse, etc. Yet even with that knowledge Schiano decided that hiring Harasymiak was the right move for the program. Of course Schiano could be wrong, but given the way the defense has played it seems like the right move so far.
I think that'd be carnac the magnificent level from Schiano. Brown was passed on by Temple to be HC there a few years ago. He's not leaving UGA for a lateral move or probably even a coordinator role at a Cuse or a Uconn. This is a reach by Cuse no doubt. Doesn't mean it can't work out - but tough odds.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Initial reports had Elijah Robinson staying on at A&M as DC or co-DC but new rumors that Robinson might be joining his close friend Brown at Syracuse as DC.

A quote from a Syracuse recruit sparked those rumors. Brown told him the DC is coming from the SEC. That could just as easily be someone off the UGA staff or anybody but it's sparked speculation about Robinson. Some even think the offer is for 1.5M as Syracuse DC.

Don't know about their coaching chops but it would be nice recruiting tandem.

From the article:

Amid assembling his staff, Syracuse.com writer Emily Leiker reported that a 2024 offensive lineman, Noah Rosahac, stated that after verbally committing to Syracuse, Fran Brown reportedly told him:

“The (new) defensive coordinator is coming from the SEC.”
Well, that could be anyone, but knowing Robinson’s connection to Brown after coaching together at Temple and Baylor for several seasons, this is something to monitor moving forward. While Mike Elko has already made several staff changes, defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin remains in his role, which could impact Robinson’s future decision.

Dino Babers earned $4.06 million at Syracuse
Brown should be receiving around the same

Schiano signed an eight-year, $32 million deal, but it is not fully guaranteed.
Greg will make $4 million a year. If he is fired without cause at any point in the contract, he will be paid 76.875% of his remaining salary;
UW's head coach makes 4.2 million per year. He is 111-13 lifetime. Seems he is doing fine as a low paid P5 coach.

Reactions: MikeRU09
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT