ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Good List of Classic Movies

Not a big Night at the Opera fan except for the stateroom scene on the ocean liner.

Scene: A overcrowded stateroom with people all over each other including Harpo fondling a pretty girl. Knock at the door. A mechanic is there. Groucho opens the door.

Groucho: What do you want?
Mecahnic: I'm here to turn off the heat.
Groucho (pointing at Harpo): Good! You can start with him!

Great scene in that movie. One of my favorite in Duck Soup was .........."So you refuse to shake my hand!!!" (Groucho).

My favorite from Duck Soup borrowed from IMDB

Rufus T. Firefly: Not that I care, but where is your husband?

Mrs. Teasdale: Why, he's dead.

Rufus T. Firefly: I bet he's just using that as an excuse.

Mrs. Teasdale: I was with him to the very end.

Rufus T. Firefly: No wonder he passed away.

Mrs. Teasdale: I held him in my arms and kissed him.

Rufus T. Firefly: Oh, I see, then it was murder. Will you marry me? Did he leave you any money? Answer the second question first.

Mrs. Teasdale: He left me his entire fortune.

Rufus T. Firefly: Is that so? Can't you see what I'm trying to tell you? I love you.

Read somewhere that Margaret Dumont, Groucho's foil in many of the movies, was entirely clueless about the humor and couldn't understand what everybody was laughing about.

Wayne is too melodramatic in The Searchers. I prefer the more understated performance in Red River, Quiet Man, True Grit, etc.

red-river-wayne.jpg
He was understated in True Grit?

He was understated in True Grit?
Point and match.

Searchers would be my pick for best western ever.. and best performance by the Duke. Quiet Man is a RomCom.. a very great one.. but hard to judge acting there. Red River.. another great one for John Wayne.. and really, the two movies could be linked... Wayne plays an older man in RR.. about the age he ends up being in Searchers. The two characters have a lot in common... emotionally.

Reactions: PaKnight
I would have had Seven Days In May on that list.

The scene with Burt Lancaster and Fredric March is unforgettable.

Not to keep prolonging my list but another one for me would be "Five Easy Pieces"..........also a great character study social commentary type film. The diner scene in that was classic.

Can't. Be. Serious.
Good god, man (@RU848789 ),

It's a movie thread and you just screwed it up.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Your obvious response should have been, ""Surely you can't be serious!"

To which (and I am sure everybody will get this this) @Knight Shift will retort with the only correct reply.

Good god, man (@RU848789 ),

It's a movie thread and you just screwed it up.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Your obvious response should have been, ""Surely you can't be serious!"

To which (and I am sure everybody will get this this) @Knight Shift will retort with the only correct reply.
Don't call me Shirley.
What's my prize?
And I was dead serious.
Roadhouse will be a classic in the 22nd century. Patrick Swayze. Ben Gazzara. Sam Elliott.

Don't call me Shirley.
What's my prize?
And I was dead serious.
Roadhouse will be a classic in the 22nd century. Patrick Swayze. Ben Gazzara. Sam Elliott.
Only partial credit as the correct line is...

"I am serious and don't call me Shirley."

And the line I like from Roadhouse is this one..."Be nice. Until it's time to be not nice."

There is no such thing as a Top 100 anything. Everyone has their own preferences weighted with their favorite genres and stars. Here are 10 movies I can watch over and over again:
Back to School
Wedding Crashers
Dumb and Dumber
Psycho
Fatal Attraction
Terminator
Mission Impossible 5
Predator
Planet of the Apes (Heston)
Some Like it Hot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT