ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Greatest American Rock n Roll Band

WhichReligionIsRight

Hall of Famer
Oct 19, 2010
Davis, CA
This is a category where I might have English bands ahead of my favorite American bands, but as far as American bands go, we can make cases for acts like Elvis Presley and the Beach Boys. Both would be excellent choices, but they haven't stood the test of time for creating new music. Tom Petty and Van Halen - sure. Both were/have been around a long time and made great music spanning decades. I would have Aerosmith and the Talking Heads on any list. Eagles, Allman Brothers, Metallica, Nirvana, Pearl Jam - they all deserve consideration. And of course, Bruce Springsteen. Bob Dylan (more of a solo act), Billy Joel, Santana. Jimi Hendrix, the list goes on.

But for me, the greatest American band has to be the Grateful Dead. They started out almost 50 years ago, having played thousands of concerts along the way to many millions of fans. They have the distinction of hosting the first concert with more than 100,000 ticketed fans (Englishtown Raceway), and drew over 600,000 to Watkins Glen (along with the Allman Brothers and the Band [Canadian]. This year, they just concluded another successful touring by selling out huge stadiums across the USA. At a minimum, the Dead are certainly the greatest touring band of all time.

Hard to pick one.

Eagles
Van Halen
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
Beach Boys, although a definitely a specific genre
Journey

Reactions: cicero grimes
Elvis Presley isn't a "band".

Beach Boys, for sure. Tom Petty, Eagles, Van Halen, Allman Bros., Earth Wind & Fire...

I want to say "Steely Dan", but again - not really a "band".

I've had this debate with my brothers/BILs for ages. The rules were it had to be a band (No Dylan, Bruce etc.) and all the members had to be American (Sorry The Band). We've all come to the consensus it is the Grateful Dead. No other American Band had the impact on America like they did. I also wouldn't argue if someone said the Beach Boys.

Doobys
Creedence
Eagles
Ramones (they did invent Punk)

All good choices.

This is a category where I might have English bands ahead of my favorite American bands, but as far as American bands go, we can make cases for acts like Elvis Presley and the Beach Boys. Both would be excellent choices, but they haven't stood the test of time for creating new music. Tom Petty and Van Halen - sure. Both were/have been around a long time and made great music spanning decades. I would have Aerosmith and the Talking Heads on any list. Eagles, Allman Brothers, Metallica, Nirvana, Pearl Jam - they all deserve consideration. And of course, Bruce Springsteen. Bob Dylan (more of a solo act), Billy Joel, Santana. Jimi Hendrix, the list goes on.

But for me, the greatest American band has to be the Grateful Dead. They started out almost 50 years ago, having played thousands of concerts along the way to many millions of fans. They have the distinction of hosting the first concert with more than 100,000 ticketed fans (Englishtown Raceway), and drew over 600,000 to Watkins Glen (along with the Allman Brothers and the Band [Canadian]. This year, they just concluded another successful touring by selling out huge stadiums across the USA. At a minimum, the Dead are certainly the greatest touring band of all time.
Seems like you have been having the same discussion as I have for a while...

I've had this debate with my brothers/BILs for ages. The rules were it had to be a band (No Dylan, Bruce etc.) and all the members had to be American (Sorry The Band). We've all come to the consensus it is the Grateful Dead. No other American Band had the impact on America like they did. I also wouldn't argue if someone said the Beach Boys.

Doobys
Creedence
Eagles
Ramones (they did invent Punk)

All good choices.

If you limit it to Bruce & the E Street Band they would in the hunt.

Big Brother and the Holding Company
Jefferson Airplane
Country Joe and the Fish
Lovin Spoonful

If you limit it to Bruce & the E Street Band they would in the hunt.
Right. Just our discussion was no troubadour with a backup band. So Bruce would be out of the band discussion. Start a thread about the best American singer/songwriter. That would be a winner too. Although it would be 1. Dylan 2. Paul Simon 3. Tom Waits 4. Bruce. JMHO Probably 2,3,4 interchangeable.

Metallica and Eagles. Need greatness and longevity with most of the same key members.

Reactions: angmo
It’s an interesting question because rock n roll was invented and perfected by 2 men:
Elvis Presley and Chuck Berry.

When I think rock n roll I think chuck berry. The category and his name are inextricably linked in my mind.

Now, with all that said, I understand you are asking for a band here and that disqualifies both Presley and Berry.

So with that long context, im gonna go Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Metallica and Eagles. Need greatness and longevity with most of the same key members.
To your point. I keep hearing about the Eagles with Steely Dan tour. Shouldn't that be Don Henley, Joe Walsh, and Don Fagan tour? There was a tour years back of Steely Dan and The Doobys. The only guy in both bands, Michael McDonald wasn't even on the tour. Kooky.

It’s an interesting question because rock n roll was invented and perfected by 2 men:

When I think rock n roll I think chuck berry. The category and his name are inextricably linked in my mind.

Now, with all that said, I understand you are asking for a band here and that disqualifies both Presley and Berry.

Buddy Holly says "hold my beer".

Reactions: Randal7

Skynrd was great - no question. But I don't even consider them the best Southern Rock band. That honor has to go to the Allman Brothers.

So your greatest American rock band is Lynrd Skynrd? Ok. They're pretty good. Won't argue.

Unrelated to the core question. Can I throw out an interesting name? Ricky Nelson. Underrated. Just saying.

Ya I like his stuff. But he’s not in the same tier (for me)

I like the sound of the Everly Brothers more than Buddy Holly (and I realize a lot of people would disagree with that)
I was just referring to the beggining. He died way too young. Everly Brothers were great. But we are talking about bands, so Buddy Holly and the Crickets would be DQd under the rules I made up...Ha!

So your greatest American rock band is Lynrd Skynrd? Ok. They're pretty good. Won't argue.
To me, yes, they best personified American rock n roll. They play (today) sweet home Alabama in Tuscaloosa and in Munich Germany and there is the same emotional response in both places

To me, yes, they best personified American rock n roll. They play (today) sweet home Alabama in Tuscaloosa and in Munich Germany and there is the same emotional response in both places
Saw a doc on them. Interesting, unlike the Allmans, who were a jam band like the Dead, Ronnie Van Zandt was the ultimate studio musician. He insisted that every note, every guitar solo, drum solo, etc. was played in concert, exactly as it was played on the album. Sorry for the runon. Just always struck me as interesting and kinda cool. There was no ad libbing or jamming at a Skynrd concert.

Early on The Who had them open up for them, because they were given 28 minutes to play and they came in on time every concert.

Not for everyone, but I'd throw Phish into the conversation. Like the Dead, not a big album sales band, but not many compete with their live impact and following.

• Haha
Won't argue the Allmans. I'd throw The Black Crowes into that Southern rock conversation as well.
The Black Crows over CCR, Beach Boys, Grateful Dead, Doobies, Ramones? Come on man. Do better. I like the Black Crows, but they're not Van Halen, Red Hot Chili Peppers, or even Wilco.

Saw a doc on them. Interesting, unlike the Allmans, who were a jam band like the Dead, Ronnie Van Zandt was the ultimate studio musician. He insisted that every note, every guitar solo, drum solo, etc. was played in concert, exactly as it was played on the album. Sorry for the runon. Just always struck me as interesting and kinda cool. There was no ad libbing or jamming at a Skynrd concert.

Early on The Who had them open up for them, because they were given 28 minutes to play and they came in on time every concert.
That’s pretty cool. Brevity and set precision can be good, depending on the setting

The Black Crows over CCR, Beach Boys, Grateful Dead, Doobies, Ramones? Come on man. Do better. I like the Black Crows, but they're not Van Halen, Red Hot Chili Peppers, or even Wilco.
If you actually read the post I was referring to, I was speaking to Southern Rock bands. Read better friend.

That’s pretty cool. Brevity and set precision can be good, depending on the setting
Yeah. The Who wanted to feature an up and coming American band on their tour and they liked what they saw with Skynrd. That tour gave them huge exposure.

This is a good podcast, though I find the narrator's voice to be tedious sometimes. The episode on the Dead was one of his best. I'm learning at lot from it. For example, For What's it Worth (The iconic song that mostly recently appeared at the Democratic National Convention) was about protests/riots in LA over a bar curfew where patrons were getting too rowdy). I always thought it was an anti-war or free speech protest song.

We sidetracked into this in a previous thread a few months ago...I'm sticking with my list but expanding to a top 10 (and admittedly missed the Eagles re: oversight last time).

Aerosmith
VanHalen
Springsteen
Tom Petty
Pearl Jam
The Eagles
Journey
Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Cars
R.E.M.

Cmon guys the Beach Boys are/were popular but they're not rock.

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
If you actually read the post I was referring to, I was speaking to Southern Rock bands. Read better friend.
That's not the discussion. Read the title friend. Nobody cares about your keyboard diarrhea of some band you just listened to. Name a real band. The Black Crows...lol. Bon Jovi is a band too I guess.

Regardless of having named “front men,” E Street, Heartbreakers, and Silver Bullet Band are BANDS, not back up players. Personally not crazy about exclusion of The Band or Crazy Horse. Beyond those complaints, I’d name Allman Brothers, Santana, Talking Heads, REM, and of more recent vintage Weezer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT