ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Greatest American Rock n Roll Band

Hendrix was backed by 2 Brits
Right, with The Experience but that changed by 1969 with Billy Cox on bass replacing Noel Redding . Hendrix was obviously the centerpiece of the trio, the featured musician , the singer and main songwriter. Don’t think America was quite ready for Hendrix in 1966/1967.

Last edited:
Hendrix is funny - didn't have a pedal until 67.
I respect his talent but to me he's making that psychedlic drug music that's long gone.
I dont think I ever saw a Hendrix intervew where he wasn't high on something.
I don't think he's overrated but he's one of those dudes I never listen to and dont care if I ever do again

fGGB2BW.jpg
Hendrix is a complicated figure, inward and shy off stage and a transcendent performer on it. I’ve seen a number of interviews where he was extremely perceptive and not in an altered state. Given his family life (or lack of) growing up , it’s a wonder he wasn’t more heavily involved with drugs. Hendrix changed everything in rock music, in fact I’m in agreement with those that think electric guitar started with Charlie Christian in the 1940s and ended with Jimi Hendrix in 1970. A lot of great players since but they are all just using / building on the template Hendrix and others created.

Reactions: RUinOhio and BossNJ
Right, with The Experience but that changed by 1969 with Billy Cox on bass replacing Noel Redding . Hendrix was obviously the centerpiece of the trio, the featured musician , the singer and main songwriter. Don’t think America was quite ready for Hendrix in 1966/1967.
Didn't he open for the Monkees in Asbury Park back in the day ?

Reactions: RUGuitarMan
Anyone mention Frank Zappa yet? Not sure if you count him as a "band" since he's had many backing him, but certainly a pretty important figure, and one of my faves.
I'll throw an honorable mention to another favorite that I hadn't seen mentioned (I think), Little Feat.

Well since we seem to be going far afield, gotta throw Minnie Riperton into the conversation. @AreYouNUTS can attest to her greatness as he's become a huge fan.

Didn't he open for the Monkees in Asbury Park back in the day ?
Quite possibly. On Hendrix first US tour as a member of The Jimi Hendrix Experience , his over reaching tour manager booked them to open for The Monkees of all things. It didn’t go well, of course The Monkees pop music audience did not understand what Hendrix was playing or doing musically.. Hendrix was booed often and they cut that tour short after a small number of shows.

Based on record sales, it’s easily the Eagles, their greatest hits albums sold huge numbers

Questions like this are fun but kinda pointless as everyone uses different criteria (some personal, some objective, some based on artist merit others based on commercial success).

Personally I’m going to gauge it by my own personal assessment/ understanding of artistic merit and commercial success and go with Eagles and Bruce Springsteen & E Street Band as top 2

I want to include The Beach Boys in the discussion but their period of “greatness” (around Pet Sounds) was actually very brief. I’m a fan but just being objective so imho they’re no where close.

In a different way, nirvana could be discussed (mainly for the way they changed music INSTANTLY) but their period of greatness was so brief

So obviously I am including another parameter in my personal criteria - longevity

Lastly as much as I absolutely love Steely Dan I think they are a bit of a niche group. A large rabid fanbase but certainly didn’t have the broader appeal/ impact of Eagles or Bruce. For same reason Grateful Dead are same - ultimately they are a niche group. Just a fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUShea
Questions like this are fun but kinda pointless as everyone uses different criteria (some personal, some objective, some based on artist merit others based on commercial success).

Personally I’m going to gauge it by my own personal assessment/ understanding of artistic merit and commercial success and go with Eagles and Bruce Springsteen & E Street Band as top 2

I want to include The Beach Boys in the discussion but their period of “greatness” (around Pet Sounds) was actually very brief. I’m a fan but just being objective so imho they’re no where close.

In a different way, nirvana could be discussed (many for the way they changed music INSTANTLY) but their period of greatness was so brief

So obviously I am including another parameter in my personal criteria - longevity
It’s really subjective in the end. But it makes conversations fun. Who you think is the ” greatest” is what YOU think

Last edited:
It’s really subjective in the end. But it makes conversations fun. Who you thing is the ” greatest” is what YOU think
Agree. That’s why I dedicated 6 paragraphs above to the discussion LOL even if it’s pointless

Reactions: RUEd
This is a category where I might have English bands ahead of my favorite American bands, but as far as American bands go, we can make cases for acts like Elvis Presley and the Beach Boys. Both would be excellent choices, but they haven't stood the test of time for creating new music. Tom Petty and Van Halen - sure. Both were/have been around a long time and made great music spanning decades. I would have Aerosmith and the Talking Heads on any list. Eagles, Allman Brothers, Metallica, Nirvana, Pearl Jam - they all deserve consideration. And of course, Bruce Springsteen. Bob Dylan (more of a solo act), Billy Joel, Santana. Jimi Hendrix, the list goes on.

But for me, the greatest American band has to be the Grateful Dead. They started out almost 50 years ago, having played thousands of concerts along the way to many millions of fans. They have the distinction of hosting the first concert with more than 100,000 ticketed fans (Englishtown Raceway), and drew over 600,000 to Watkins Glen (along with the Allman Brothers and the Band [Canadian]. This year, they just concluded another successful touring by selling out huge stadiums across the USA. At a minimum, the Dead are certainly the greatest touring band of all time.
Hard no on the Dead. I like some of their songs, but so much of their music bores me and I can't take the ridiculously long jams. The rest of your list is good, but I'd also have REM, Foo Fighters, CSNY (and Neil, solo), the Ramones, the Strokes, and LCD Soundsystem on that list.

Hard no on the Dead. I like some of their songs, but so much of their music bores me and I can't take the ridiculously long jams. The rest of your list is good, but I'd also have REM, Foo Fighters, CSNY (and Neil, solo), the Ramones, the Strokes, and LCD Soundsystem on that list.
So true.

Reactions: RU848789
It’s really subjective in the end. But it makes conversations fun. Who you think is the ” greatest” is what YOU think
Yup, Eagles are obviously a very popular and hugely successful American band but not enough hard rock for me. Life in the Fast Line their best song imho. Hotel California is tiresome to me...never any interest in their concerts.

100% understand why folks feel that way about the Dead. It can be a lot and not for everyone. Personally, I do love those jams though! The real good ones can be a pretty cool journey away from and back into the core song. Except for Space/Drums. I could do without that one. Ha. To each his own.

There a nothing more American than The Beach Boys!
I beg people to listen to The Beach Boys Music from 1965 and on after the Surfin / Cars fad !
Brian Wilson was ahead of his time and it’s a tragedy that his mental illness / drugs and simple bandmates were on different planets in terms of vision - otherwise one can only imagine what Brian could have done musically.
One of the Beach Boys greatest albums in 1965 called “ Beach Boys Today” was a prelude to Pet Sounds
Post 1965 Beach Boys includes album above / Pet Sounds album including so many classics / ill fated smile album / good vibrations / heroes and villains / surfs up / darlin / do it again / sail on sailor and so many more underrated / non commercial songs.

Fully agree. Cant believe peeps in here are saying Beach Boys arent rock and toll

Reactions: BigEastPhil
These things are subjective, as always. I love all kinds of music, but to me, most of the Beach Boys tunes are nails on a chalk board with the high pitched squealing. I'm prepared to be crucified for that remark, but that's my subjective view. I recognize them as a great American band though.

Someone cut out Springsteen and the E Street Band, lumping them in as a troubadour with a backup band. A troubadour is a singer of folk songs. IMO, that is way off base, especially if one wants to include Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

For most of his career and catalogue, the E Street Band is integral with Springsteen's music and sound. Consider that every album except for a few have included the E Street Band. The band's core members have been constant since 1972, except when Clarence and Danny passed away, and Steve's temporary absence from the band. But the mix of the bass, drums, Steve's guitars, saxophone, piano and organ are integral to Springsteen's music. Billy Joel is different story. His band has no constants.

To me Bruce is nails on a chalkboard

The Black Crows over CCR, Beach Boys, Grateful Dead, Doobies, Ramones? Come on man. Do better. I like the Black Crows, but they're not Van Halen, Red Hot Chili Peppers, or even Wilco.
Great list- surprised I haven seen Styx and GNR mentioned, unless I missed it

Van Halen was my number 1, The Black Crows had one of my favorite debut albums. Nirvana and Pearl Jam right up there. RHCP just had some kick ass songs. Styx may have had the most t-shirts when I was in high school in the late 70's.

Reactions: angmo
When I first got serious about rock music, ‘73 -75, I had a buddy who came from a very musical family . He turned me on to The Grateful Dead , Jazz music and other more obscure stuff. I can understand that The Dead aren’t for everyone but the thing I developed was a long musical attention span which I think is helpful. Some of those jams can wonder aimlessly and can get a bit boring, however sometimes they can become magical and inspirational. As a live band, you never knew what you would get from them. I saw the band with García several times, a few times a little dull musically and a few times really fantastic.

Reactions: RU848789 and RUShea
Elvis Presley isn't a "band".

Um.. what about his time with the Blue Moon Boys? 1954-1968.. I think "Elvis Presley" was a band. Was it the greatest band? Greatest "Rock and Roll" band?.. maybe too early for that.

My candidate is Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band though I find good arguments for CCR, The Band and Beach Boys.

I think this topic is just too hard... "Rock and Roll" is far too segmented with too many eras and no one dominates many segments. For instance, would anyone pick a beach boys song to dance to? Are there any easy-listening Aerosmith songs?

I think Bruce and E-street dabbled in many styles so I am going with them.

But maybe it is Prince and the Revolution? The Jacksons are too pop.. right?

I was also a big Talking Heads fan.. can they make a Top Ten cut of this thread?

Last edited:
Um.. what about his time with the Blue Moon Boys? 1954-1968.. I think "Elvis Presley" was a band. Was it the greatest band? Greatest "Rock and Roll" band?.. maybe too early for that.

My candidate is Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band though I find good arguments for CCR, The Band and Beach Boys.

I think this topic is just too hard... "Rock and Roll" is far too segmented with too many eras and no one dominates many segments. For instance, would anyone pick a beach boys song to dance to? Are there any easy-listening Aerosmith songs?

I think Bruce and E-street dabbled in many styles so I am going with them.

But maybe it is Prince and the Revolution? The Jacksons are too pop.. right?

I was also a big Talking Heads fan.. can they make a Top Ten cut of this thread?
Ez listening Aerosmith-not many thankfully....but Seasons of Wither might be close, and one of their most underrated songs.

Reactions: RUShea
Fully agree. Cant believe peeps in here are saying Beach Boys arent rock and toll

We would first have to define our terms, I guess.

To me, rock and roll isn't the same as rock, or folk, or new wave, or punk, etc. But to some in this thread, "rock and roll" means "all pop music since 1957." And that's just as correct as anything else...

If we have to arrive at a definitive answer here.. I think the best bet is to look at what influenced the British Invasion which changed Rock music positively. And it was American blues.. but were those inspirations individuals or bands? I think it was largely individuals who toured and jammed with whoever was available nearby.. like how Chuck Berry operated.

For bands you might have to go with white bands who many thought were black.. like Buddy Holly and the Crickets. The Crickets.. the Beatles... you get the idea. If not for a plane crash.. it might have been Buddy Holly and the Crickets.

BTW.. when I tried to nail down ChatGPT to stop suggesting British bands like The Rolling Stones and Led Zeplin, it suggested The Eagles.

Last edited:
We would first have to define our terms, I guess.

To me, rock and roll isn't the same as rock, or folk, or new wave, or punk, etc. But to some in this thread, "rock and roll" means "all pop music since 1957." And that's just as correct as anything else...

So in that case, we could include Lawrence Welk in the mix, right?

So in that case, we could include Lawrence Welk in the mix, right?
LOL. and Minnie Ripperton too...

To me, Springsteen doesn't play "rock and roll" anymore than Lawrence Welk does. In my book he plays "rock." Everything I've said is silly, but we all have our own definitions.

I nominate The Monkees, The Partridge Family and the Silver Platters for consideration. 😎 According to Llyod Christmas the Monkees were a major influence on the Beatles.

Lots of great bands here - but cmon need more representation for Pearl Jam here. Selling out arenas / stadiums and creating new albums since the early 90’s and still going. New album coming out and they have a short tour leg in the fall. The most longevity of the whole grunge scene.

Despite the fact that I think this thread is dumb and full of posters with horrible taste in music I'll give it a go:
1. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
then everybody else in no particular order:
2 thru 10
The Allman Brothers Band, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble, The Eagles, The Doors, Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, Pearl Jam, Steely Dan, REM, The War On Drugs.
Edit...just missing the cut were The Grateful Dead (with Jerry), The Jefferson Airplane (with Jorma and Jack), Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr., and The Black Keys.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT