ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Greatest American Rock n Roll Band

Despite the fact that I think this thread is dumb and full of posters with horrible taste in music I'll give it a go:
1. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
then everybody else in no particular order:
2 thru 10
The Allman Brothers Band, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble, The Eagles, The Doors, Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, Pearl Jam, Steely Dan, REM, The War On Drugs.

You had me 100% until the very last band

Personal favorite of yours?

Reactions: Kbee3
You had me 100% until the very last band

Personal favorite of yours?
Yes.
I thought about it before I included them. They're my favorite band that's out there now.
Their last three studio albums and their live album Live Drugs are being heavily played by this guy for quite a while now. I love Granduciel's guitarwork.
It's my opinion.

Last edited:
Anyone mention Frank Zappa yet? Not sure if you count him as a "band" since he's had many backing him, but certainly a pretty important figure, and one of my faves.
I'll throw an honorable mention to another favorite that I hadn't seen mentioned (I think), Little Feat.
I saw Little Feat open for the Dead in Maine and then again at the State Theatre in New Brunswick. I was going to buy tix at the box office but then a guy said some of his friends didn't show up and sold me three tickets, second row center for under face. It was an incredible show. No Lowell George obviously, but the band was tight and I always loved their songs. It was around the time they re-united and toured after releasing that single Texas Twister.

Reactions: RUShea
This is a category where I might have English bands ahead of my favorite American bands, but as far as American bands go, we can make cases for acts like Elvis Presley and the Beach Boys. Both would be excellent choices, but they haven't stood the test of time for creating new music. Tom Petty and Van Halen - sure. Both were/have been around a long time and made great music spanning decades. I would have Aerosmith and the Talking Heads on any list. Eagles, Allman Brothers, Metallica, Nirvana, Pearl Jam - they all deserve consideration. And of course, Bruce Springsteen. Bob Dylan (more of a solo act), Billy Joel, Santana. Jimi Hendrix, the list goes on.

But for me, the greatest American band has to be the Grateful Dead. They started out almost 50 years ago, having played thousands of concerts along the way to many millions of fans. They have the distinction of hosting the first concert with more than 100,000 ticketed fans (Englishtown Raceway), and drew over 600,000 to Watkins Glen (along with the Allman Brothers and the Band [Canadian]. This year, they just concluded another successful touring by selling out huge stadiums across the USA. At a minimum, the Dead are certainly the greatest touring band of all time.

Allman Brothers Band
Grateful Dead
REM
The Ramones
Little Feat

Hard no on the Dead. I like some of their songs, but so much of their music bores me and I can't take the ridiculously long jams. The rest of your list is good, but I'd also have REM, Foo Fighters, CSNY (and Neil, solo), the Ramones, the Strokes, and LCD Soundsystem on that list.
So it would’ve been just Crosby Stills counting the Americans.

Reactions: RU848789
Sidetracking here to the “what if” category. Guns and Roses would have to be near the top of this list if they would have just kept themselves somewhat professional.

Sidetracking here to the “what if” category. Guns and Roses would have to be near the top of this list if they would have just kept themselves somewhat professional.
I said before I just can't take Axl's voice for more than 60 seconds or so, nails on a chalkboard. Slash carries GNR imo.

What rock band does. lol but GNR are an all time great. Van Halen has to be top 5 for just about everyone. I can't find any way that they cant fall there. Even if you are 70+ and only naming bands prior to 1975(which it seems half the group posting may fall into)
Not for nothing- hate to say it out loud- but Kiss has to fall in there too. Heart is another ground breaker- and if you want to go Rock vs rock band- Pat Benatar, Joan Jett and Lenny Kravitz
One of the best- and everyone knows their songs- but no one knows who they are - Zebra - ask almost anyone from 70's-80's that were in the business...You mention Zebra and they will have nothing but the best for them.

I’d say Metallica (formed in LA) is an American band. Not sure they are in my top ten.

Also, the OP did not exclude bands with front men and the first reply included Bob Segar and the Silver Bullet Band, so I’d say bands with front men should be eligible.

As such, Bruce and the E Street band would have to be way high on the list. The Eagles would be my #2 followed by Bob Segar and REM.

Reactions: zebnatto
Both Neil Young and Graham Nash are currently American citizens.
I didn't remember that or I would have added Neil Young and Crazy Horse to my list above.
I do remember their origin story began with Nash touring Cali with his band the Hollies and meeting Crosby then. I think they sang something together and knew right away that they would succeed together…and Nash wanted to live in Cali.

Reactions: Kbee3
This is a good podcast, though I find the narrator's voice to be tedious sometimes. The episode on the Dead was one of his best. I'm learning at lot from it. For example, For What's it Worth (The iconic song that mostly recently appeared at the Democratic National Convention) was about protests/riots in LA over a bar curfew where patrons were getting too rowdy). I always thought it was an anti-war or free speech protest song.

Wow. That was epic. Thanks for sharing. I'm a deadhead and learned a lot, That guy does some serious research.

Who knew deadheads invented the internet! LOL.

When I first got serious about rock music, ‘73 -75, I had a buddy who came from a very musical family . He turned me on to The Grateful Dead , Jazz music and other more obscure stuff. I can understand that The Dead aren’t for everyone but the thing I developed was a long musical attention span which I think is helpful. Some of those jams can wonder aimlessly and can get a bit boring, however sometimes they can become magical and inspirational. As a live band, you never knew what you would get from them. I saw the band with García several times, a few times a little dull musically and a few times really fantastic.
Was a huge Yes, Genesis and Pink Floyd fan in the 70s, so I'm quite familiar with long musical attention spans, lol. It all comes down to subjective tastes and while there are several Dead songs I love, there's just too much I don't like that much for me to elevate them in this discussion. And I've seen all of them live, with the Dead finishing last.

Was a huge Yes, Genesis and Pink Floyd fan in the 70s, so I'm quite familiar with long musical attention spans, lol. It all comes down to subjective tastes and while there are several Dead songs I love, there's just too much I don't like that much for me to elevate them in this discussion. And I've seen all of them live, with the Dead finishing last.
Genesis...yes.
Pink Floyd...YES.
Yes...NO.

Way too many complications in trying to get people to agree on anything, as many have noted. What is rock and roll? Should "frontman" led groups be considered "bands?" Is longevity necessary? etc.

I believe in a pretty expansive definition of rock and roll, which would absolutely include the Beach Boys (a top ten US band, IMO), hip-hop (the fact that it pisses off "the establishment" just like R&R originally did, before it became "mainstream" is almost enough for me), country and plenty of pop, all of which are generally eligible for the R&R HOF, but that's an unpopular stance on this board based on previous threads.

On the frontman front, Dylan, Bruce, Prince, Marvin Gaye, and Tom Petty are all big, important, and popular enough for consideration, IMO. Taylor Swift and Drake, too, the biggest selling artists ever (with regard to numbers of top ten hits). And if longevity didn't matter, Nirvana would top my list and frankly, longevity is overrated, IMO.

For the more mainstream folks, I don't recall seeing the Red Hot Chili Peppers discussed or Sly and the Family Stone or Weezer (maybe I just missed them).

Reactions: RUGuitarMan
I can't imagine liking only 2 of those bands, but then again, I was never a big Rush fan...
I could never handle the vocalist for Yes...sorta a castrato I think.
Also, their lyrics were uninteresting to put it mildy.
Cada loco con su tema.
BTW, to put them in the same category with Peter Gabriel or Roger Waters/Dave Gilmour is laughable.

I could never handle the vocalist for Yes...sorta a castrato I think.
Also, their lyrics were uninteresting to put it mildy.
Cada loco con su tema.
BTW, to put them in the same category with Peter Gabriel or Roger Waters/Dave Gilmour is laughable.
Agree that Yes's lyrics were not their strong point, for the most part, but I loved Anderson's voice and how it fit into the incredible musicianship and songwriting of the band. You make yourself look a bit silly when you say "laughable" about someone else's taste in music - it's inherently subjective.

Agree that Yes's lyrics were not their strong point, for the most part, but I loved Anderson's voice and how it fit into the incredible musicianship and songwriting of the band. You make yourself look a bit silly when you say "laughable" about someone else's taste in music - it's inherently subjective.
You're entitled to your opinion. There are lots of people whose taste in music I laugh at. Been doing it for about sixty years. As Van Morrison said "It's Too Late To Stop Now".

I like to use Roundabout to test new speaker and amp configurations.

someone else's taste in music - it's inherently subjective.
Yeah. Threads like this are fun because everybody has an opinion, and it's interesting to hear the thoughts of others. But that's as far as it should go.

Sometimes I'll read a comment where somebody says "A, B, C,D and E are hall of famers!". And when I get to "E" I'm like "WTF!" And I'm sure everybody else is doing the same.

Great thread...

I am going to go a little different - but Blondie/Heart/Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - I would have Pat Benatar up here as well but consider her more of Solo artist even though she had a band behind her that was pretty consistent through the years

I am going to go a little different - but Blondie/Heart/Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - I would have Pat Benatar up here as well but consider her more of Solo artist even though she had a band behind her that was pretty consistent through the years

Pat Benatar is really a duo - her husband Neil Giraldo is her primary collaborator, writes pretty much all the music and is lead guitarist in the band.

Giraldo was a member of RIck Derringer's touring band, along with drummer Myron Grombacher, who was around for the first 9 PB albums but was replaced by Chris Ralles.

Charlie Giordano (keyboards) was around for the big-time popular era, as well, but replaced Danny Federici in the E Street Band in 2007.

There have been a number of bassists and guitarists.

Pat Benatar is really a duo - her husband Neil Giraldo is her primary collaborator, writes pretty much all the music and is lead guitarist in the band.

Giraldo was a member of RIck Derringer's touring band, along with drummer Myron Grombacher, who was around for the first 9 PB albums but was replaced by Chris Ralles.

Charlie Giordano (keyboards) was around for the big-time popular era, as well, but replaced Danny Federici in the E Street Band in 2007.

There have been a number of bassists and guitarists.
This is why I still consider her solo but at least 3 of them were together for majority of her hits...As far as R&R in America- she belongs but not for a band.

Reactions: RU4Real
For maybe a 3 month period in 1968. Maybe. But otherwise none of these make the top 100 of top American bands
Well two of the four got do because they had a Canadian member. Othe two are in my top because of the amount of vinyl I have. Of course its all subsjective.
Have a friend who was a traveling musician and had a lot of stuff in his parents house. Had a falling out with his father and had to go to court to be allowed to get his stuff, but had limited time to do so. Went to help him, he had a large record collection and knew he couldn’t take it all so he told me to pick out some for me to take. First thing I picked was an Eagles album. He got incensed that I had such poor taste to pick that before any of the really good albums that he wouldn’t let me take any. End result, his dad and brother wound up getting the albums I would have taken.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
Sounds like we should be including 2Pac in this list since he's in the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame!

Sounds like we should be including 2Pac in this list since he's in the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame!

I don't consider rap/hip-hop rock n roll, but I am suffering through a different (though similar) conundrum. No one would argue with the idea that Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton or the Rolling Stones are among the greatest Rock and Roll Bands/Acts, but we don't consider BB King or John Lee Hooker. British Blues is Rock n Roll, but somehow Black Blues (whether it be Memphis, Mississippi or Chicago) someone isn't Rock n Roll. I don't make the rules - it's just kinda weird.

I’d say Metallica (formed in LA) is an American band. Not sure they are in my top ten.

Also, the OP did not exclude bands with front men and the first reply included Bob Segar and the Silver Bullet Band, so I’d say bands with front men should be eligible.

As such, Bruce and the E Street band would have to be way high on the list. The Eagles would be my #2 followed by Bob Segar and REM.
Agree, and I feel that exclusion of “The Band” is applying a legalistic definition. Possibly the most American band ever.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
I don't consider rap/hip-hop rock n roll, but I am suffering through a different (though similar) conundrum. No one would argue with the idea that Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton or the Rolling Stones are among the greatest Rock and Roll Bands/Acts, but we don't consider BB King or John Lee Hooker. British Blues is Rock n Roll, but somehow Black Blues (whether it be Memphis, Mississippi or Chicago) someone isn't Rock n Roll. I don't make the rules - it's just kinda weird.
I would use the phrase “British Blues” with caution. Clapton, Winwood, Burden, John Mayall, Zeppelin, Most others were watered down variations. It was Blues influenced rock, as was early American rock and roll. What is considered Rock music needs to be a large umbrella, many streams running into the large river of Rock music. Blues, Soul, Country , Gospel, Jazz to some degree are the major influences . Classical music to some degree .I think the RNR HOF has done a decent job under the “Early Influence” category to recognize those very vital Blues influences like all the Kings, Elmore James, Hooker , Johnson, T Bone Walker, etc.

This is very true. Black blues guitarists from the big Memphis / Chicago era just don't get their due.

I'd wager no more than 2 people here have ever heard of Lonnie Brooks, if they're being honest. That's just a shame.

Bigger tragedy re: RRHoF? Like, maybe the absolute biggest? Peter Frampton is not in the Hall of Fame. WTF sense does that make?

Reactions: RUGuitarMan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT