ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Greatest American Rock n Roll Band

This is very true. Black blues guitarists from the big Memphis / Chicago era just don't get their due.

I'd wager no more than 2 people here have ever heard of Lonnie Brooks, if they're being honest. That's just a shame.

Bigger tragedy re: RRHoF? Like, maybe the absolute biggest? Peter Frampton is not in the Hall of Fame. WTF sense does that make?

I think BB King does. Not the rest, even Muddy Waters.

I think BB King does. Not the rest, even Muddy Waters.

TBH, I've always been underwhelmed by BB King. To me, he was the guy who was sorta successful in mainstreaming blues but he's not, by a long shot, the best blues guitarist of his era. Hell, he's not even the best King - Albert takes that honor.

You want a fun couple of hours, listen to BB King & Eric Clapton's collaboration "Ridin' With the King", then listen to "In Session" with Albert King and Steve Ray Vaughan. For sheer guitar virtuosity, the latter wins going away.

Reactions: Kbee3
My list of top American rock bands. I’m including Jimi Hendrix who was from Seattle and The Band who originally backed Bob Dylan and were based out of Woodstock, NY:

Jimi Hendrix (Experience/Band of Gypsys)
The Doors
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Eagles
Steely Dan
The Allman Bros Band
The Doobie Brothers
Santana
The Band
Bruce Springsteen/E Street Band
Bob Seger/Silver Bullet Band
The Grateful Dead
Little Feat
The Beach Boys
Journey
Sly and The Family Stone
The Black Crowes
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Heart
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Aerosmith
Van Halen
The Black Keys

The order would depend on my mood.
Great list but the two best live bands from the 80s were Journey and REO Speedwagon. Both put on phenominal shows as I saw both a few times

Skynyrd
Doors
CCR
GNR
Metallica
Aerosmith
Tom Petty and the HB’s
Bruce and the E St Band

TBH, I've always been underwhelmed by BB King. To me, he was the guy who was sorta successful in mainstreaming blues but he's not, by a long shot, the best blues guitarist of his era. Hell, he's not even the best King - Albert takes that honor.

You want a fun couple of hours, listen to BB King & Eric Clapton's collaboration "Ridin' With the King", then listen to "In Session" with Albert King and Steve Ray Vaughan. For sheer guitar virtuosity, the latter wins going away.
BB King had a “sweeter” blues sound, he had a bit of Charlie Christian and Django jazz influence in his playing. Albert King’s playing is just pure emotion and primal. SRV’s two biggest influences were Albert and Hendrix, especially Albert. There are SRV tunes that sound exactly like Albert King.

Reactions: RUDead

Have an album, a double, from 1968 called "From The Beginning" which was essentially a greatest hits from 1953. You underestimate him. Doesn't mean the Albert - Stevie Ray session wasn't magnificient.

Reactions: RUDead
Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band
The Eagles
Tom Petty & the Heart Breakers
The Beach Boys
Bob Seeger & the Silver Bullet Band
Crosby Stills Nash & Young
Journey
Billy Joel

It’s an interesting question because rock n roll was invented and perfected by 2 men:
Elvis Presley and Chuck Berry.

When I think rock n roll I think chuck berry. The category and his name are inextricably linked in my mind.

Now, with all that said, I understand you are asking for a band here and that disqualifies both Presley and Berry.

So with that long context, im gonna go Lynyrd Skynyrd.
Elvis Presley didn't invent anything. He introduced what already existed to a different population. Chuck Berry was an actual innovator, and he wrote all of his own songs, unlike Elvis.

Elvis Presley didn't invent anything. He introduced what already existed to a different population. Chuck Berry was an actual innovator, and he wrote all of his own songs, unlike Elvis.
I was unaware. Thanks for that clarification

So true.
That Albert King/SRV thing was one of the best I've ever seen,

Anyone mention Chicago? I think next month they're releasing their next album, CHICAGO CXIV!

Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band
The Eagles
Tom Petty & the Heart Breakers
The Beach Boys
Bob Seeger & the Silver Bullet Band
Crosby Stills Nash & Young
Journey
Billy Joel
You're kidding with the Beach Boys and Journey.
And Billy Joel is not a band.
The rest are damn good.

• Haha
Reactions: fg7321
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT