ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hobbs in trouble...

This nonsense is getting in the way of the head football coach hire. Someone go tell Hobbs to focus on what's important.

I’m actually surprised that Hobbs responded to this.

When we had the Bob & Greg show at RU, Mulcahy worked FB and BB exclusively. Joe Quinlan handled all other sports. I don’t believe that Mulcahy would have responded to the SL over something like this.

Is it possible that Hobbs is feeling some stress and it spilled out here? Not a big deal imo and should go away soon as a news item.

the fact that NJ.com is trying to blow this up as some massive expose tells you all you need to know. Fake news exists folks... its all about people pushing agendas. These reports are lucky i'm on the left coast.. I'd start antifa style "protests" against this effers and pelt them with eggs and milkshakes

Reactions: bac2therac
Football players quit.
Baskeball players quit.
Bball coaches sneak limited Intel to media and sue. Bball coach and AD gone.
Swimming coach perhaps railroaded?
The football player " abuse" story under Flood.

I know what abuse is. I also know why we have a history of being a bunch of weak ass babies and we should just finally get in or just get the hell out. But it us so tough for Rutgers cause this state SUCKS.

The point was to give a sense of how fast that speed translates into ... it is nowhere near a top sprint.

Softball coach will be fired . It’s how Rutgers handles these things, rather than calling these money grubbers out. Hobbs might be fired but I think he survives.

This stuff would never make the news down here in TN. Media would tell UT or Vandy snowflakes ( and their money grubbing helicopter parents) to go fly a kite. This stuff plays in the northeast which is why Rutgers will never amount to anything. A lot less useless slip and fall lawyers down here too which is also a factor. Northeast is infested with them.

Poor job by Hobbs.

For those of you making fun of the softball players, baseball players are the same. This is a sport players get hurt running bases.

https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2019/10/...and-coaching-team-and-school-did-nothing.html

After NJ Advance Media contacted Rutgers Tuesday with questions about the allegations, Hobbs called one of the reporters working on the story and launched into a profanity-laced tirade that ended with him saying “You guys are f------ scum. Why should I help you people?” Hobbs sent the reporter a text message an hour later to “apologize for my words.” He then added, “This narrative around RU being a place where abuse is tolerated is bull----. But it gets clicks.”

Reactions: dontestrond
It is weird, but to me this seems like a hit job from the people who want Schiano and are worried that Hobbs will not go in that direction. I mean this happened last spring and now it comes out when Hobbs is about to decide on a football coach that may not be Schiano. I hope people are not that vindictive, but you never know.
Ding, ding, ding.
https://www.greenberglawoffice.com/sports-law/

"In conjunction with Time Warner Sports, hosted a television program—the first sports business show in the United States—entitled $portsBiz, which included guests such as former MLB Commissioner Bud Selig, Green Bay Packers President Mark Murphy, University of Wisconsin Athletic Director Barry Alvarez, former Milwaukee Bucks owner Herb Kohl, and former Head Basketball Coach Rick Majerus, to name a few."

Hmmm, Barry Alvarez name comes up again. Didn't he give the name Ash to one of our BOG members in 2015?

Retaining an attorney from Milwaukee, Wisconsin for an action arising in New Jersey? Seems like a long way to go for an attorney.

Reactions: Leonard23
Ding, ding, ding.
https://www.greenberglawoffice.com/sports-law/

"In conjunction with Time Warner Sports, hosted a television program—the first sports business show in the United States—entitled $portsBiz, which included guests such as former MLB Commissioner Bud Selig, Green Bay Packers President Mark Murphy, University of Wisconsin Athletic Director Barry Alvarez, former Milwaukee Bucks owner Herb Kohl, and former Head Basketball Coach Rick Majerus, to name a few."

Hmmm, Barry Alvarez name comes up again. Didn't he give the name Ash to one of our BOG members in 2015?

Retaining an attorney from Milwaukee, Wisconsin for an action arising in New Jersey? Seems like a long way to go for an attorney.

Say...

Didn't I read that Barry Alvarez is going to be on campus next week?

He seems to have an awful lot to do with a program that he has nothing to do with...

100 yards in less than 17 seconds is a jog. I didn't realize softball players were so pampered.
100 yards in 17 seconds should be easy for a Big Ten athlete. I can imagine if someone complained about that to Sarah B, who played softball at Illinois, she would be inclined to dismiss the complaint as simple conditioning, not abuse.

But if these women were as out of shape as rumored, and they had to run 6 sprints in a row, without breaks, maybe this was an impossible ask of them.

The solution is to work on conditioning, not forcing them to run until they drop. (Of course, if they dropped on the first or second lap, that's a different story.)

An investigation may prove damaging to the coach, and maybe even the Athletic Department execs.

As far as Hobbs telling an SL reporter to f*** off, I say give the man a raise.

I was referring to the fact that there is a 4 page thread on this topic
didn't see it... my apologies.. i spend more time over on the soundoff board than here which someone posted about it like 10 mins ago

I’m actually surprised that Hobbs responded to this.

When we had the Bob & Greg show at RU, Mulcahy worked FB and BB exclusively. Joe Quinlan handled all other sports. I don’t believe that Mulcahy would have responded to the SL over something like this.

Is it possible that Hobbs is feeling some stress and it spilled out here? Not a big deal imo and should go away soon as a news item.
Funny you should mention Bob Mulcahy. All that good will he showed to the media, and what did that get him? Railroaded right out of Rutgers on fabrications from the very same people.
He deserved better than that. He did a great job here.
Hobbs is the face of Rutgers Athletics but he shouldn’t have to deal with reporters who have
an agenda other than covering Rutgers Sports.

You can't have the AD of the school going off without apparently realizing or appreciating that you're always on the record. I guess we're about to find out how much support he really has.
Not sure what you are suggesting with the last sentence. I don’t think anyone is calling for his head bc of this. If he can survive the entire football fiasco, this is nothing. That said, the honeymoon with the press is over.

His comments suggest this is not his first run in with the press that’s left a negative impression.

Funny you should mention Bob Mulcahy. All that good will he showed to the media, and what did that get him? Railroaded right out of Rutgers on fabrications from the very same people.
He deserved better than that. He did a great job here.
Hobbs is the face of Rutgers Athletics but he shouldn’t have to deal with reporters who have
an agenda other than covering Rutgers Sports.

For the record, this is why I have ALWAYS said that the AD should never react to the media. The SID should be the face of the program on all emergent matters. AD speaking roles should be limited to those things ceremonial.

Softball coach will be fired . It’s how Rutgers handles these things, rather than calling these money grubbers out. Hobbs might be fired but I think he survives.
I wouldn’t fire her. I would do the opposite and tell them to kiss my ass and see me in court. Rutgers cares too much about public opinion. For once go to bat for your coach if you believe she did nothing wrong. You fire her and then there is another story about another coach Rutgers is paying to leave. You can’t win so tell them f’off and do it differently. Team got better and got better players. Stop letting people dictate your moves.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t fire her. I would do the opposite and tell them to kiss my ass and see me in court. Rutgers cares too much about public opinion. For once got to bat for your coach if you believe she did nothing wrong. Team got better and got better players. Stop letting people dictate your moves.

Couldn’t agree more.

Reactions: Wolv RU
so you think that cursing out the people that paint the picture of RU?.. more people read that site than you realize.. hobbsy can't afford to be a dick

Maybe if somebody actually starts standing up to them the picture will change a bit cause the emporer isn't wearing any clothes.

100 yards in less than 17 seconds is a jog. I didn't realize softball players were so pampered.
Actually jogging 100 yards takes between 30-40 seconds. The pace they ran at is a 5 minute mile and that is not anywhere near jogging. Nice try though.

"The average under-17 girl can complete a 100-meter sprint in 12.8 to 13.1"

https://livehealthy.chron.com/average-running-speed-teenage-girl-10107.html

100 yds is almost a second faster so 17 seconds is not exactly hoofing it. I could do six right now (and article leaves out rest time between sprints so I imagine it wasn't short). A D1 outdoor athlete should handle this easy. All this "doubled-over and passed-out" stuff sounds like a kid who has or wants a lawyer. I can see why the team is so lame,
That is not what the average teenage girl runs. Last year, 12.8 finished 9th in Group 3 at the Group 3 state champs in track. The numbers in the article you quoted are SO BAD they are retarded.

Last edited:
Reactions: rufancoe00
For the record, this is why I have ALWAYS said that the AD should never react to the media. The SID should be the face of the program on all emergent matters. AD speaking roles should be limited to those things ceremonial.
Sounds like Hobbs got baited.
a1a2951d15807b9ba5aa37f40f81062c.jpg

Let me get this straight. There's a story, seems a little weak but whatever, published. Our AD decides to call the reporter and curse him out. Or said differently, our AD verbally abuses a guy writing a story on abuse in the athletics department. And you guys are upset with the ledger?????

You want to marginalize the effects of the story, you refute it, you say your gonna investigate, you ignore it, whatever. The only thing you don't do is curse out the reporter. What a frigging retard.

Reactions: Steve91562
I wouldn’t fire her. I would do the opposite and tell them to kiss my ass and see me in court. Rutgers cares too much about public opinion. For once got to bat for your coach if you believe she did nothing wrong. Team got better and got better players. Stop letting people dictate your moves.
ie... no shenono

Let me get this straight. There's a story, seems a little weak but whatever, published. Our AD decides to call the reporter and curse him out. Or said differently, our AD verbally abuses a guy writing a story on abuse in the athletics department. And you guys are upset with the ledger?????

You want to marginalize the effects of the story, you refute it, you say your gonna investigate, you ignore it, whatever. The only thing you don't do is curse out the reporter. What a frigging retard.
The President of the United States attacks reporters with venom almost daily, our AD is certainly allowed to do the same to a couple of low-level nobody reporters at the Star-Liar writing about bitter girls doing wind sprints. I'm backing Patty Hobbs on this one!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT