ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hobbs in trouble...

Let me get this straight. There's a story, seems a little weak but whatever, published. Our AD decides to call the reporter and curse him out. Or said differently, our AD verbally abuses a guy writing a story on abuse in the athletics department. And you guys are upset with the ledger?????

You want to marginalize the effects of the story, you refute it, you say your gonna investigate, you ignore it, whatever. The only thing you don't do is curse out the reporter. What a frigging retard.
Retard is no longer part of the modern pc vernacular.

Is it any wonder that RU has produced some famous actors? -I mean, one way or another, there always seems to be some sort of "drama" going on here.

Reactions: MidwestKnights
Did the team get better?
Yup. From worst to 6th in the B1G.

Star Liar/NJ.com is funny. They write hit pieces on how shitty football and women's volleyball are.

A new coach improves the results tremendously in women's softball, and if everything in the story is true and what others who are familiar with P5 softball practice and training are true, they write a hit piece on a coach and athletics because some players could not hack it.

It's amazing that Sarge wrote this 10,000 word story and does not provide a counter argument from current players and/or parents who support the coach. Did they even try to get that side of the story or was the narrative set and he built the story around that narrative?

Oh look, page 5.

I can't help but wonder...why does everyone believe the reporter's account of the conversation? Like Pernetti, Hobbs is a dumbass for apologizing, and he made it doubly worse by sending a writen apology. Now the media has carte blanche to embellish the contents of the phone call.

When you’re defending your athletic department as one that doesn’t tolerate abuse, etc it’s generally not a good idea to do so by calling someone “f’ing scum.”

Look, I get it, I don’t see much merit to the abuse claim, but Hobbs has now made the situation much worse. It’s sloppy.

It's amazing that Sarge wrote this 10,000 word story and does not provide a counter argument from current players and/or parents who support the coach. Did they even try to get that side of the story or was the narrative set and he built the story around that narrative?

Its a hit piece. Of course there is no other side to the story.

When you’re defending your athletic department as one that doesn’t tolerate abuse, etc it’s generally not a good idea to do so by calling someone “f’ing scum.”

Look, I get it, I don’t see much merit to the abuse claim, but Hobbs has now made the situation much worse. It’s sloppy.
You believe this statement? Why should anyone believe the Star Liar and their minions? Didn't they make shit up to drum Bob Mulcahy out of town?

"After NJ Advance Media contacted Rutgers Tuesday with questions about the allegations, Hobbs called one of the reporters working on the story and launched into a profanity-laced tirade that ended with him saying “You guys are f------ scum. Why should I help you people?”"

---------
And when some local kid gets down
They try an' drum him outta town

Reactions: RUsSKii
Whatever the merits of his anger or whatever, he's supposed to be a professional. This seems like a legitimate thing to ask questions about. Sounds like the softball coach's husband was a real scumbag.

This has nothing to do with whether the girls were disgruntled players or not..nor Hobbs rant to the press...albeit ill considered...complaints were made to the athletics department...if RU followed procedure and dealt with each one according to policy and NCAA regulations...then there should be a paper trail supporting them and they should get ahead of this story and fight it as hard as possible.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Bringing on players that have no right playing on such a high level will always cause problems. I bet not none of them would would even sniff a spot at TCNJ. They are way over their heads trying to be D1 Athletes..I support the Coach here realizing there is so much dead weight when she took over program.

Bringing on players that have no right playing on such a high level will always cause problems. I bet not none of them would would even sniff a spot at TCNJ. They are way over their heads trying to be D1 Athletes..I support the Coach here realizing there is so much dead weight when she took over program.
However, there is a right way to handle that situation. A big ten schollie is guaranteed for 4 years. Abusing athletes to get them to leave is not they way to handle it. Not saying our coach did that but I do know that it happens. Not cool.

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
Oh look, page 5.

I can't help but wonder...why does everyone believe the reporter's account of the conversation? Like Pernetti, Hobbs is a dumbass for apologizing, and he made it doubly worse by sending a writen apology. Now the media has carte blanche to embellish the contents of the phone call.

Should have stopped at “Hobbs is a dumbass”. Our history of clown ADs continues.

Cart paths only today so I had to walk 18 and then it rained in the middle the round. I am thinking of hiring an attorney to sue the golf course - after all I should not have been allowed to tee off.

Not to offend anyone but some of the softball ladies are packing on a few extra lbs and probably don’t thrive doing punishing wind sprints. Just a guess but this seems like extreme brow beating from the coaching staff. Hobbs and Baumgartner could be on the wrong side of this dispute, but we’re only hearing one side of it.

Sounds like Coach Butler May subscribe to the Mike Sheppard school of coaching. But then again I’m not aware of the conditioning standards in WSB employed by most coaches.

Duh, easy solution here, only make the chubby ones run downhill

Reactions: Knightmoves
Goodale had to deal with this when he started at RU..He was faced with a team that were D3 Wrestlers left by former staff trying to act like a D1 Program..There were plenty of people trying to get rid of him his 1st couple of seasons because some of the team was not on board with him!

That is not what the average teenage girl runs.

True - those are average times for track sprinters.

100 yards isn't very far, and 17 seconds should be basic for B1G SB athlete.

Here's a sprint workout from VT women's softball. Rutgers coach is right in there time wise (as mentioned the interval is a key and that was excluded)

Virginia Tech Softball's Conditioning Plan

Vci8fUT.jpg

https://www.stack.com/a/virginia-tech-softballs-conditioning-plan

For the record, this is why I have ALWAYS said that the AD should never react to the media. The SID should be the face of the program on all emergent matters. AD speaking roles should be limited to those things ceremonial.
For the record, this is why I have ALWAYS said that the AD should never react to the media. The SID should be the face of the program on all emergent matters. AD speaking roles should be limited to those things ceremonial.
These are tough times on the banks. Looking for a football coach to right the ship. Now we have another witch hunt.Pat Hobbs was the Dean of Seton Hall Law School. I would think he can handle the media. Although we don’t know the facts of this accusation.
Time will tell.

There are rumors of "wait, there's more!"

Damn. The high-level booster hit on Pat Hobbs, unfolding in slow motion before our eyes, is some serious next-level shit. This is very unlike Rutgers.
Its an incredibly interesting scenario and very un Rutgers like. My feeling is if Hobbs has not hired Greg by now, he has no intention of bringing him back. Under the scenario you present, the message to Hobbs is maybe he should rethink that decision.

Reactions: ruman

Just an FYI to everyone, Sarge didn't actually write the article. Some guy named Matthew Stanmyre did. Sarge just tweeted it out.

This sounds like a bunch of disgruntled players that were processed out by the new staff. Weight shaming??? They're scholarship athletes in the B1G and should be held to high physical fitness standards to actually be competitive and win. The culture was so bad under the new staff that they improved from 19-31 to 29-26. Time to get in better condition, if you can't take the running. :Pray: :Praying: there's no video.

There's only 3 left. Having ten girls quit or transfer in a single year is not good.
7 players making the allegations and half the team transferring is a story.
What? The team was horrible so you process them out ASAP. Half the team?
New The husband has no business being around the team.
Why? He was an approved volunteer assistant.
BTW and FWIW, I sent Barchi's office (president@rutgers.edu) an e-mail urging him to fire Hobbs. Calling a report "f..ing scum" is unacceptable for someone who is supposedly a leader.
overreaction

True - those are average times for track sprinters.

100 yards isn't very far, and 17 seconds should be basic for B1G SB athlete.

Here's a sprint workout from VT women's softball. Rutgers coach is right in there time wise (as mentioned the interval is a key and that was excluded)

Virginia Tech Softball's Conditioning Plan

Vci8fUT.jpg

https://www.stack.com/a/virginia-tech-softballs-conditioning-plan

First off there is a 1 min rest between reps in that plan. Often the rest is 1.5 mins. The way the athletes described the resulting issues during it I would guess there was insufficient rest/recovery.

Secondly, 19 vs 17 makes a big difference in repeats as it dictates how much oxygen is being used up and how anaerobic the athlete goes. Doing 17 sec repeats with no rest would be a bad idea but not surprising since most coaches I have met have NO FUKKING clue on how to actually condition athletes compared to say T&F coaches.

A coach can be a great football or soccer coach yet not really understand how to condition the human body for peak performance...that is why they have S&C staff.

Spur, I never swear , but these people need to be put in their place. Decades of these attacks warrants it. They wouldn’t be allowed to cover car washes at any other Power Five school. Enough is enough. It is well past the time to pull their credentials to Rutgers. Just start our own media to cover Rutgers-all aspects Academics, Cultural Events, and Athletics.These so called “reporters” have no idea how to cover a State University.

This sounds like a bunch of disgruntled players that were processed out by the new staff. Weight shaming??? They're scholarship athletes in the B1G and should be held to high physical fitness standards to actually be competitive and win. The culture was so bad under the new staff that they improved from 19-31 to 29-26. Time to get in better condition, if you can't take the running. :Pray: :Praying: there's no video.

We're in the Big Ten. There are rules against processing them out.

All Rutgers has to do is ignore this meaningless story for a week or two and it goes away...Rutgers tends to always play in to the media’s hands...I’m not a huge Pat Hobbs fan, but calling for his firing is ridiculous...

We're in the Big Ten. There are rules against processing them out.
Welp, then you better tell that to Michigan, tOSU and the rest of our conference mates. How do you think we got those Michigan transfers? Utter BS.

Why? He was an approved volunteer assistant.
overreaction

The husband was investigated for similar behavior at the JuCo as well. That's enough smoke for me.

Reactions: wisr01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT