ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hurricane season predicted to be one of the most active ones ever

Miami just had two consecutive days with a heat index of 112 which is unheard of in May and seldom happens in Miami.

The city’s heat index — a measure of what conditions feel like when humidity and air temperatures are combined — hit 112 degrees Fahrenheit over the weekend, smashing the previous daily record by 11 degrees, according to Brian McNoldy, a senior research associate at the University of Miami. The weekend heat index also beat Miami’s monthly record by 5 degrees, he wrote in a post on X.

“Even if it had been two or three months from now, like July or August, it still would have been pretty astounding to have two consecutive days with 112-degree heat index here,” McNoldy said. “For any time of the year, that would be extraordinary. But for mid-May, it was completely unprecedented. Not even close.”

• Sad
Reactions: Morrischiano
The CSU forecast comes out on 6/1 when the season officially begins, but their April forecast was also for a very active season, as have been all other forecasts, so far. I'll post my usual seasonal forecast summary then.

Reactions: Morrischiano
The CSU forecast comes out on 6/1 when the season officially begins, but their April forecast was also for a very active season, as have been all other forecasts, so far. I'll post my usual seasonal forecast summary then.
The wife and I just left Florida after 6 years. Just moved to Monroe and I have to say we have zero regrets. My home insurance was almost 6k and was expected to go up 30 to 40 percent. My present bill with Progressive is $929. Car insurance 30% less. I dreaded every hurricane season.....much prefer a blizzard prediction fro numbers! I guess I'll have to change my name to Jersey Hank!

The wife and I just left Florida after 6 years. Just moved to Monroe and I have to say we have zero regrets. My home insurance was almost 6k and was expected to go up 30 to 40 percent. My present bill with Progressive is $929. Car insurance 30% less. I dreaded every hurricane season.....much prefer a blizzard prediction fro numbers! I guess I'll have to change my name to Jersey Hank!
You won’t be the last person to move out of Florida. I was also reading about the septic tank problems in the Miami area due to the increasing sea level. Billions of dollars to correct and hopefully the Federal government doesn’t donate. I also read condo owners getting killed for assessment for 20 years ago and they passed a law that cash has to be on hand for the reserve after the condo building crash. This is also happening in California since I was looking at a condo one year with HOA of $300,mth but my brother looked the next year and the HOA was $850/mth. They were going to increase over the years to over $2,000/mth. Dangerous time to buy.

You won’t be the last person to move out of Florida. I was also reading about the septic tank problems in the Miami area due to the increasing sea level. Billions of dollars to correct and hopefully the Federal government doesn’t donate. I also read condo owners getting killed for assessment for 20 years ago and they passed a law that cash has to be on hand for the reserve after the condo building crash. This is also happening in California since I was looking at a condo one year with HOA of $300,mth but my brother looked the next year and the HOA was $850/mth. They were going to increase over the years to over $2,000/mth. Dangerous time to buy.
$2k/month for HOA?!?!?! That’s insane

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT