ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Irish Americans — Murphys vs Guinness

Randal7

All American
Gold Member
Jul 23, 2009
For my Irish American beer lovers. I’ve got a statement — Murphys is superior to Guinness.

I’ve done the empirical work. In Ireland again and it’s not close. Blinded taste test, meal taste test, oscillating taste tests… they all have lead to the same conclusion. I’ve even given Guinness phantom points for “global appeal”, understanding that my palate is unique to me…

…And it’s still not close.

Guinness is creamy and watery on the front end, a touch bitter on the back. The first sip is strong, but the profile degrades over the pint.

Murphys is a touch forward sweet, with a velvety texture and delivers coffee notes on the back end. Most importantly, the first taste is as consistent and good as the last one. It’s a solid profile throughout the pint.

I cannot understand how Guinness has grown to dominate the stout market when Murphys is not only an equal competitor, but a superior one!

I consider this a topic of great importance because we don’t deserve second class beer in America. We deserve the best. And by and large we have no access to Murphys and I think that’s just an absolute travesty. Something needs to be done. And it starts with establishing, once and for all, that Murphys is better than Guinness.

What say you all?!

Both suck. No kick and they give you acid reflux. When did Murphy’s go away? I can’t remember. Anyway, no need for a campaign on this.
I can’t get Murphys in the states. I’ve never ordered a Murphys pint there bc it’s never available

I can’t get Murphys in the states. I’ve never ordered a Murphys pint there bc it’s never available
Never? That wasn’t always the case. My guess is that with the craft beer boom and local breweries taking over taps, bars felt they only needed to devote a single tap to a stout. You know what that will be.

Reactions: Randal7
Never? That wasn’t always the case. My guess is that with the craft beer boom and local breweries taking over taps, bars felt they only needed to devote a single tap to a stout. You know what that will be.
I personally never have. Would love to know where you’ve got it

I've had a bunch of Irish pub owner friends and patrons who talk a lot about Guinness. Seems its often served wrong with regard to temperature, pressure and gasses (need nitrogen and CO2 instead of just CO2).

I'm not a beer drinker so cant attest to the conditions but the Irish pub patrons/severs make a lot of the serving elements. They also talked about Guinness being good for pregnant women but that sounded like the kind of excuse you would expect lol

Last edited:
I’m older than you Randal, not ancient, but older. That’s how. BTW, how’s Vinnie doing? You know, the guy who told funny stories about Ash. 😂
Vinnies good! Thanks for asking. That was a very therapeutic episode. For years, I just couldn’t square that circle — How things got so bad with the program under Ash. And then you hear first hand stories and anecdotes and you say to yourself “oh, ok, now I get it” haha

Reactions: RUPete
Vinnies good! Thanks for asking. That was a very therapeutic episode. For years, I just couldn’t square that circle — How things got so bad with the program under him. And then you hear first hand stories and anecdotes and you say to yourself “oh, ok, now I get it” haha
I loved that episode! Many of us needed that validation/confirmation that you speak of. Either way, it’s in the past and we’re in a much better place now.

100% agree! I was in Ireland last March and preferred Murphys over Guinness every time. Both beers are not the same on this side of the pond though
Thank you! It’s delicious … it’s really a wonderful bevvy here.

Idk why but Guinness tastes a lot better in Ireland than it does here.
We did a private tasting at the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin last month (Great experience!). We tried several Guinness varieties not available in the states along with the standard Guinness Draught. He gave us the background and details on each, and when he talked about Guinness Draught he mentioned that the beer brewed for Irish consumption had a slight lower alcohol content then the beer brewed for the US market. BTW all Guinness Draught sold in the US is made in Dublin right alongside the beer for local consumption.

I've had a bunch of Irish pub owner friends and patrons who talk a lot about Guinness. Seems its often served wrong with regard to temperature, pressure and gasses (need nitrogen and CO2 instead of just CO2).

I'm not a beer drinker so cant attest to the conditions but the Irish pub patrons/severs make a lot of the serving elements. They also talked about Guinness being good for pregnant women but that sounded like the kind of excuse you would expect lol
It’s amazing how many bartenders don’t know how to properly pour it

Reactions: DC8690 and ashokan
It’s amazing how many bartenders don’t know how to properly pour it

Indeed, it can be a fussy situation that I think a lot of places ignore. I suppose if I wanted a decent Guinness, or black and tan (half and half) I would be better off going to an Irish place with citizen-Irish patrons (they make the most fuss)

Indeed, it can be a fussy situation that I think a lot of places ignore. I suppose if I wanted a decent Guinness, or black and tan (half and half) I would be better off going to an Irish place with citizen-Irish patrons (they make the most fuss)

never ask for a black and tan around someone who is Irish and knows their history.

I sure hope you don't call it a black and tan there though.

I sure hope you don't call it a black and tan there though.

I didn't drink anything so never asked
I never heard anyone fuss over a name if the beer was done right (they took that serious).

I have one fun story from a night in an Irish pub
One Sat night I started to talk to a gal in a black and white waitress uniform who was discussing movies.
She seemed to know more about films than most people.
I know screenplays and movie business so she liked talking to me

We even got into writing and production fundamentals.
She told me she was writing a script and asked me if I would like to read it.
I asked her how she knew so much about films and she told me her father was a director back in Ireland.
His name was Jim Sheridan - director of Name of the Father, The Field, My Left Foot, The Boxer and others.

Of course I knew who he was, and was kind of shocked his daughter was waitressing in a diner.
She was taking classes at NYU and liked working for insight into moving to another country.
A year later I saw her and pops on TV at the Academy Awards - they were both nominated for a doc about Irish immigrants.

Last edited:
You can get Murphy's in the states. I have it for sale! It doesn't sell well as nobody thinks it's better then Guinness and are will to pay more money then cheap Murphy's. Besides Murphy's how many Irish Whiskey shots did you have before you started this thread?? A smart move would be to ask to have it deleted.

• Haha
For my Irish American beer lovers. I’ve got a statement — Murphys is superior to Guinness.

I’ve done the empirical work. In Ireland again and it’s not close. Blinded taste test, meal taste test, oscillating taste tests… they all have lead to the same conclusion. I’ve even given Guinness phantom points for “global appeal”, understanding that my palate is unique to me…

…And it’s still not close.

Guinness is creamy and watery on the front end, a touch bitter on the back. The first sip is strong, but the profile degrades over the pint.

Murphys is a touch forward sweet, with a velvety texture and delivers coffee notes on the back end. Most importantly, the first taste is as consistent and good as the last one. It’s a solid profile throughout the pint.

I cannot understand how Guinness has grown to dominate the stout market when Murphys is not only an equal competitor, but a superior one!

I consider this a topic of great importance because we don’t deserve second class beer in America. We deserve the best. And by and large we have no access to Murphys and I think that’s just an absolute travesty. Something needs to be done. And it starts with establishing, once and for all, that Murphys is better than Guinness.

What say you all?!
Guinness. Guinness for strength.

You can get Murphy's in the states. I have it for sale! It doesn't sell well as nobody thinks it's better then Guinness and are will to pay more money then cheap Murphy's. Besides Murphy's how many Irish Whiskey shots did you have before you started this thread?? A smart move would be to ask to have it deleted.
I was about 7 pints deep but the point still stands this morning!!!

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
I was about 7 pints deep but the point still stands this morning!!!
Murphy's sold out to Heineken years ago, like 40+ years ago. Most of Murphy's is actually made in North Yorkshire, UK. The do poorly in the UK. In Ireland where the original brewery is (Cork) they do great. Outside of Cork they really don't do well in Ireland at all.
Have no idea why you can't find it. You need to change your liquor store that cares about imports. Both Murphy's and Guinness I enjoy but American Craft breweries are kicking ass in stouts. Most all locally in PA are so much better! Switch to your local brewery that makes a good stout, you'll admit you are certainly wrong about who makes the best stout!

Last edited:
I prefer Murphys but there is definitely a different taste if you have it in Ireland. It tastes so much better in Ireland. Guinness in Ireland doesn't seem to have the same aftertaste IMO. Although, I still like Guinness enough to order it over most beers at a bar. I never see Murhpys at a bar here. some liquor stores have it.

As for "home-court" taste, its the same thing with Heineken in the Netherlands. It tastes like a crisp European lager in NL. But It doesn't travel well and has that skunk flavor here. Amstel (not light) is even better there and Heineken Oud Bruin is off the charts (both not sold here).

I prefer Murphys but there is definitely a different taste if you have it in Ireland. It tastes so much better in Ireland. Guinness in Ireland doesn't seem to have the same aftertaste IMO. Although, I still like Guinness enough to order it over most beers at a bar. I never see Murhpys at a bar here. some liquor stores have it.

As for "home-court" taste, its the same thing with Heineken in the Netherlands. It tastes like a crisp European lager in NL. But It doesn't travel well and has that skunk flavor here. Amstel (not light) is even better there and Heineken Oud Bruin is off the charts (both not sold here).
Yes to all!

The best beer ever was the Miller High Life we stole from a construction site cooler and drank in the woods by the railroad tracks when we were 14.
What about the miller high life you drank after tarring the roof of that prison in Maine on that hot day in summer

Reactions: Good-Knight
What about the miller high life you drank after tarring the roof of that prison in Maine on that hot day in summer
That wasn't Miller High Life. It was "an icy cold bohemian style beer" plus it was in dark bottles. Actually makes me thirsty right now!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT