ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is Keith Hernandez right in supporting pitchers hitting batters

Zappaa commented on how the velocity of pitches has increased. He is mostly right, but some of this is the result of a change in the methods used to measure pitch speed. Traditionally, pitch speed was measured about 50-55 feet away from the mound; now the pitch speed is "the fastest speed", which means it's the speed coming out of the pitcher's hand, which will be greater. For more on this, see https://www.quora.com/Is-a-baseball-pitchers-speed-measured-when-the-ball-leaves-his-hand-or-crosses-the-plate
and the link contained within that link.

Zappaa commented on how the velocity of pitches has increased. He is mostly right, but some of this is the result of a change in the methods used to measure pitch speed. Traditionally, pitch speed was measured about 50-55 feet away from the mound; now the pitch speed is "the fastest speed", which means it's the speed coming out of the pitcher's hand, which will be greater. For more on this, see https://www.quora.com/Is-a-baseball-pitchers-speed-measured-when-the-ball-leaves-his-hand-or-crosses-the-plate
and the link contained within that link.

Years ago there was always an issue of whether they were using the slow gun or a fast gun. There was never a difference in the gun, only where they pinger the ball. They (whoever they are) have since decided it should be consistent so they chose the faster option. Generally a ball can be 5 mph slower at home plate than right out of the hand.

Camden, regarding broadsiding: was reading a long joint interview that Stan Musial & Tony Gwynn did with the SN. Musial was asked if he ever feared any pitcher. He said no, "but if your side is black & blue all season you know you're having a good year". Thought that was interesting & relevant to our discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: retired711
The best pitcher I think ever was, Koufax, would not throw at a batter (bit, before my time, maybe Bob Feller, was just as good...) But, he just didn't need to. Hit it if you can, a 95mph fastball and a 90mph curve. That's BBall I love.

I enjoyed Zap's comment that throwing at batters even happens in 12u girls softball. This happened to my daughter when she was playing in an 18u national tournament. From the distance they pitch, some girls are throwing the equivalent of 90+ fastballs in terms of reaction time. My daughter had 2 triples and a double off the pitcher. She comes up the 4th time and promptly drills the first pitch down the right field line but foul. Coach on other team steps out of dugout, yells at his pitcher "I told you to take care of this", crosses both arms across his chest and then slashes his throat. My daughter is a slap hitter. For those unfamiliar with girls softball, that means they are in motion toward the pitcher as they are swinging. With the next pitch, the pitcher drills my daughter right in the face mask of her helmet. It was clear to everyone what just happened. Thankfully they are required to wear cages on the front of their helmets. My daughter was pissed and slammed the bat down. Umpire takes his mask off, lectures her and throws her out of game for throwing bat down. Our side was livid and two more coaches got tossed. The end result for the other team's coach was that he not only hit the batter, but got her tossed from the game so she couldn't hit again. Throwing at batters isn't unique to MLB.

Reactions: RichG
The best pitcher I think ever was, Koufax, would not throw at a batter (bit, before my time, maybe Bob Feller, was just as good...) But, he just didn't need to. Hit it if you can, a 95mph fastball and a 90mph curve. That's BBall I love.
He actually threw at and hit Lou Brock after he bunted on him for a hit.

I enjoyed Zap's comment that throwing at batters even happens in 12u girls softball. This happened to my daughter when she was playing in an 18u national tournament. From the distance they pitch, some girls are throwing the equivalent of 90+ fastballs in terms of reaction time. My daughter had 2 triples and a double off the pitcher. She comes up the 4th time and promptly drills the first pitch down the right field line but foul. Coach on other team steps out of dugout, yells at his pitcher "I told you to take care of this", crosses both arms across his chest and then slashes his throat. My daughter is a slap hitter. For those unfamiliar with girls softball, that means they are in motion toward the pitcher as they are swinging. With the next pitch, the pitcher drills my daughter right in the face mask of her helmet. It was clear to everyone what just happened. Thankfully they are required to wear cages on the front of their helmets. My daughter was pissed and slammed the bat down. Umpire takes his mask off, lectures her and throws her out of game for throwing bat down. Our side was livid and two more coaches got tossed. The end result for the other team's coach was that he not only hit the batter, but got her tossed from the game so she couldn't hit again. Throwing at batters isn't unique to MLB.
Sounds familiar.

Koufax was the best I ever saw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT