ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ken Block Killed in Snowmobile Accident

RU4Real

Legend
Jul 25, 2001
Ken Block, known primarily to "car guys", was killed in a snowmobile accident in Utah.

Block was known for his "Gymkhana" videos which are truly worth a watch if you're unfamiliar with them. He was 55.

I remember doing a few of those “what is your life expectancy?” checklists back in the day, and being someone who uses snowmobiles was the biggest negative after smoking and obesity.

Reactions: RUinBoston
I remember doing a few of those “what is your life expectancy?” checklists back in the day, and being someone who uses snowmobiles was the biggest negative after smoking and obesity.
A couple years back I did a backcountry snowmobile thing out of Leadville, CO with wife, Kid1, BIL and his wife. The run took us to the last (highest) little plateau on Mt. Elbert, about 1000' shy of the 14,440' summit. It was crazy.

Also actor Jeremy Tenner was airlifted outand listed in critical but stable condition following a snowplowing acccident at his home in Nevada

A couple years back I did a backcountry snowmobile thing out of Leadville, CO with wife, Kid1, BIL and his wife. The run took us to the last (highest) little plateau on Mt. Elbert, about 1000' shy of the 14,440' summit. It was crazy.
Sister in law broke her back on one in the Rockies. Had to be airlifted out.

Kid I grew up with, went to the Air Force Academy became a fighter pilot was killed in Alaska on one.

I understand that watching Rutgers offense was recently added to the dangerous health risk list as well.

Also actor Jeremy Tenner was airlifted outand listed in critical but stable condition following a snowplowing acccident at his home in Nevada
Jeremy Renner.

I looked for some details and didn't find any in a very quick search. Curious as to what sort of accident occurred where he was hurt so seriously. Liked his character in the MCU movies.

I’ve gone snowmobiling on a few trips out west and it was awesome.

However, I used to go fishing in upstate NY a lot and I remember multiple occasions where I met someone who recently had a family member or friend hurt or killed in a snowmobile accident.

Tmz says he lost alot of blood as leg was run over by his plow machine also other bodily injuries
Sounds like he may have gotten stuck, then went to clear the obstruction without making sure his machine was out of gear.

Snowmobiles- One of the problems I remember a few years ago when I went out with family, upstate NY...Some of these machines are doing 80 mph and can get airborne pretty quickly. Which can be fun except at high speeds and it is an uneven bump. I was actually scared to death hitting 60. And then if you are on trails that you are not super familiar with and or- there may be fallen trees you are not aware of- these high speeds are just a death wish.

Tmz says he lost alot of blood as leg was run over by his plow machine also other bodily injuries
Ouch.

I nearly ran myself over with my dad's car, back in HS. Got out to open the garage door and forgot to put it into park first. I somehow caught it in my peripheral vision while bending over to grab the door handle and was able to scoot out of the way.

Sadly, I was less able to get out of the way of my dad's wrath when he saw the dent in the garage door.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Snowmobiles- One of the problems I remember a few years ago when I went out with family, upstate NY...Some of these machines are doing 80 mph and can get airborne pretty quickly. Which can be fun except at high speeds and it is an uneven bump. I was actually scared to death hitting 60. And then if you are on trails that you are not super familiar with and or- there may be fallen trees you are not aware of- these high speeds are just a death wish.
I would think running over snow-covered objects (rocks or logs) is a common cause of bad snowmobile accidents.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
In addition to speed, one of the dangers out west is that a hill with untouched snow on it is viewed as a challenge, where you want to be the first to make it to the top and prove your machine is powerful enough to make it to the top. Of course, “hill” and “untouched snow” sometimes means you trigger an avalanche.

Alcohol is also a big danger, especially in the east where groups using their machines to bar hop is a thing.

Sounds like he may have gotten stuck, then went to clear the obstruction without making sure his machine was out of gear.
I heard it was a snowcat. I've been in one of those. They have like a thousand safety features. The one I was in simply get up from the seat and it wouldn't move. I have no idea how he ran himself over. Someone must have disconnected some of the safety features.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
In addition to speed, one of the dangers out west is that a hill with untouched snow on it is viewed as a challenge, where you want to be the first to make it to the top and prove your machine is powerful enough to make it to the top. Of course, “hill” and “untouched snow” sometimes means you trigger an avalanche.

Alcohol is also a big danger, especially in the east where groups using their machines to bar hop is a thing.
Not sure it played any role in the incident, but snow conditions were terrible over the weekend all up and down the Wasatch. Mix of rain and heavy, high-moisture snow on Saturday was like concrete atop an above average snowpack. A few ski resorts got their grooming equipment stuck because of it, and others shut down because of lengthy avalanche mitigation on the only roads in. Dropping temps and continued snowfall improved things by Monday but I'm sure light snow on top of crusted crud made some slick, sketchy areas.

Just read that in the Block accident, he was riding on a steep slope and the snowmobile flipped over and landed on him.

I watched a video of him driving an electric Audi in Las Vegas that was incredible. Maybe this will work from the Car and Driver website - scroll down to the "Drift Missile":
Audi S1

As a PSA … turn Off the damn machine (any machine) if you‘re clearing a jam. My FIL was clearing the jammed impellers of his snow blower when he stumbled on the ice. He lost part of two fingers before the shear pin snapped.

on a side note… when reconstructing his index finer they used a skin graft from his hip. Now he has a single hair follicle that grows straight out of his finger tip.

• Wow
Reactions: bac2therac
Jeremy Renner.

I looked for some details and didn't find any in a very quick search. Curious as to what sort of accident occurred where he was hurt so seriously. Liked his character in the MCU movies.

Apparently he used a snow cat type vehicle (PistenBully) to plow his driveway and pull a vehicle out of the snow. He got out of the vehicle, it started to roll, he tried to get back into it and it rolled over him.

Jeremy Renner speaks out following snowplow accident, as sheriff's office details what happened

FlpWFkAXkAkEJTH

My buddy lives in Quebec and goes snowmobiling all the time. He said a lot of the deaths up there are decapitations due to barb wire fencing and snowmobiling at night. Said he came inches once from the same fate.

My buddy lives in Quebec and goes snowmobiling all the time. He said a lot of the deaths up there are decapitations due to barb wire fencing and snowmobiling at night. Said he came inches once from the same fate.
Unknown trails- it is something I would be afraid of. Though, even if on private property and the landowner knows people SM there- tge landowner could be convicted.
But it goes with my fallen trees. SM on some of these trails at High speed is crazy.

On the other gs d- in college- we had a weekend trip up to one of the Catskills resorts for skiing and one of the things we did was Snowmobiling on the golf course.!they had modifiers on the machines and made us stay between the leader and trailers.
2 to a sled and switch halfway- all of us drunk off our asses. We figured out if you let yourself drop to the trailer- you had almost 2/4 Mike to the lead. We would do that, go off trail, sandpits, bunkers, jumps, crazy…have no idea how we didn’t die

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT