ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ketchup or Mustard

Or having talk about liking Mexican or latin food and then the two dreaded words... Taco Bell come out of their mouths....
Why are you including CT with us?

On another note, I always laugh when I remember that they ran out of pizza by halftime at the PJ bowl

They are part of the The Pizza Belt.

"Pies" are huge down here, too. Meat pies. You could put a slice of chocolate cake on a bagel with cream cheese and a schmear of schmaltz and it still wouldn't be as unhealthy as a New Zealand meat pie.

While we have you, what is the deal with Vegemite?

Craziest uses for ketchup that I have seen other people do.

ketchup on rice
ketchup on pizza
ketchup on sausage
ketchup on steak

I mean really.. WTF?!?
Saw some kid do ketchup on pizza.. gave it a try.. for one bite.. not terrible.. but as others pointed out, ketchup is for when you want something sweet. The pizza sauce should be good enough to give you the tomato taste. If I want sweet on pizza I'd go for the "Hawaiian" ham and pineapple.. small diced pineapple wand thinly sliced ham.

But back to ketchup on hot dogs.. why do people care? They seem to want to say they are better. cooler, more refined because they won't use ketchup on hot dogs. WTH.. its a hot dog.. to each his own. My favorite dog is sweet red onion sauce, though I mostly have to settle for mustard and sauerkraut.. but if there is raw chopped onion and/or cole slaw around I'd use one of those.

Last edited:
Bagels are so bad in Dunedin (we're talking Lenders bad) that we have been trying to make our own! The only halfway decent bagels are actually sold in the Otago Museum coffee shop. A New Yorker is the cook there. Not too bad.

I've always heard the secret to bagels is the water and for bread/rolls the humidity in the air when the dough rises (probably applies to pizza dough too). Why doesn't someone do a thorough analysis and let the world know how to do these two things correctly? Bakers in Arizona could them have a room with a humidifier to get it right. Bagel makers could test their water for hardness/softness and make adjustments accordingly and test the results.

Or just shoot for NYC tap water. I found an article on that topic.. so the work's been done.

Reactions: SkilletHead2
I've always heard the secret to bagels is the water and for bread/rolls the humidity in the air when the dough rises (probably applies to pizza dough too). Why doesn't someone do a thorough analysis and let the world know how to do these two things correctly? Bakers in Arizona could them have a room with a humidifier to get it right. Bagel makers could test their water for hardness/softness and make adjustments accordingly and test the results.

Or just shoot for NYC tap water. I found an article on that topic.. so the work's been done.

The biggest issue with Bagels outside of NJ/NYC is that they are made wrong. In NJ/NYC they are boiled 1st. In most other places they are made like dense bread, which is why they taste like crap.

Interesting article. But it fails to note that NYC has multiple water sources, each with potentially different characteristics. And good bagels, or pizza, aren't unique to NYC. You can get good bagels and pizza in other parts of NY, or NJ, or PA, all which have different water sources.

I certainly get that water in Florida (which is basically all swamp water) may be substantially different than water that has percolated through rock aquifers. But I don't buy that for most of the country you have to resort to expensive treatment to hit a mythical NYC water formula. Yeah, you may have to tweak your recipe a bit, or add salt or baking soda to the water. It may take some effort to get it right, but it certainly isn't impossible.

As Scourge notes, the biggest problem with bad bagels is that they are made wrong. And since there really isn't a demand for great pizza or bagels in other parts of the country, there is no incentive to go through the effort and cost to make it right.

Yes, sauerkraut and mustard on a hot dog. Full disclosure, I went to the new greys on 8th and 38th (across from the old one) and had 4 of them, mustard and kraut. Makes me hungry just thinking about it
There was Sids in Newark on Chancellor Ave. Opposite Weequahic H.S. After 18 holes at Weequahic Park Golf Course,it was 2 MK's(mustard and kraut) and a Chocolate malt(not shake) with vanilla ice cream,for lunch.Ah,the little things in Life that make it so sweet.

Interesting article. But it fails to note that NYC has multiple water sources, each with potentially different characteristics. And good bagels, or pizza, aren't unique to NYC. You can get good bagels and pizza in other parts of NY, or NJ, or PA, all which have different water sources.

I certainly get that water in Florida (which is basically all swamp water) may be substantially different than water that has percolated through rock aquifers. But I don't buy that for most of the country you have to resort to expensive treatment to hit a mythical NYC water formula. Yeah, you may have to tweak your recipe a bit, or add salt or baking soda to the water. It may take some effort to get it right, but it certainly isn't impossible.

As Scourge notes, the biggest problem with bad bagels is that they are made wrong. And since there really isn't a demand for great pizza or bagels in other parts of the country, there is no incentive to go through the effort and cost to make it right.
NEWARK got/gets their water from upstate.Wanaque ane pequanic

During my summers while attending Rutgers I did sell hot dogs from my uncles truck in Newark..... The mustard/kraut and the sweet onions (no mustard) toppings were great. Now I'm a Rutts/Hot Grill/New Corral fan (no ketchup or mustard on either)..... We do have Sabretts sweet onions in the fridge though for when we make dogs at home.

Water is important for foods and drinks. There was a reason for ALL the breweries that located in Newark and vicinity.It was the water which Newark got from their reservoirs upstate. Wanaque and Pequanic.I remember when Anheuser-Busch built their plant on Rte 1.I believe water was mentioned in the article announcing it.But HOW bread,bagels etc. are MADE is key also. Great Italian bread is hand made and brick oven baked.Think Collandra on Blmfld Ave.Great bagels are hand made and formed,boiled and then baked.Machine mixed and made doesn't cut it in either case.

Water is important for foods and drinks. There was a reason for ALL the breweries that located in Newark and vicinity.It was the water which Newark got from their reservoirs upstate. Wanaque and Pequanic.I remember when Anheuser-Busch built their plant on Rte 1.I believe water was mentioned in the article announcing it.But HOW bread,bagels etc. are MADE is key also. Great Italian bread is hand made and brick oven baked.Think Collandra on Blmfld Ave.Great bagels are hand made and formed,boiled and then baked.Machine mixed and made doesn't cut it in either case.
How did Anheuser-Busch feel about the water at their Tampa, Florida brewery?
Florida water is awful, but water can be filtered, purified, and have minerals added.

Florida water is awful, but water can be filtered, purified, and have minerals added.

Florida's aquifers are all in limestone. As a result, Florida water has calcium content through the roof. You'd have to RO filter the water to make it work properly for brewing.

Florida's aquifers are all in limestone. As a result, Florida water has calcium content through the roof. You'd have to RO filter the water to make it work properly for brewing.

Is that the problem with Florida water? Whenever I'm in a hotel in Florida, I find the water too soft, but I guess that's because the hotels soften the high-calcium water.

Mustard repeats on me and Ketchup sometimes irritates my mouth. But my favorite is clearly Ketchup.

Atrocities performed in the name of Ketchup

12098097953_930ec6f883.jpg
nestle-crunch-with-ketchup.jpg
ab7e1237aa5452c86a822cf9b680b370.jpg

.....AND - - BARBECUED FISH ????

86268adf65d6cc607a8c20ade1046329.jpg

For me mustard and ketchup aside, nothing is better on a hot dog than some good chili. No beans! Unless we're talking about a Jimmy Buff's dog. Then it's mustard on the roll and ketchup on top.

each has its uses. Sausages and Brats get the brown mustard treament from me.... I hate that yellow mustard crap America is in love with... brown spicy ( coarse too) is the way to go.

Ketchup is a must with fries, and acceptable on Burgers.

Ketchup blended with Mayo is the way to go on burgers for me.

Reactions: RUaMoose
While we have you, what is the deal with Vegemite?
Vegemite is great! If you have a crack in your driveway, or if you're playing ball on a really sunny day, you can't beat a schmear of vegemite to fill in the hole or keep the sun out of your eyes (and the smell will repel the opposing team).

Eating vegemite? Just the worst thing imaginable. Moms Skillethead loves it, which makes me wonder why she likes me.

(Many folks prefer a similar product called Marmite. Equally repulsive. Best way to eat either is to put it on pizza with anchovies and lox. Then throw the pizza away and have a sammich.)

For me mustard and ketchup aside, nothing is better on a hot dog than some good chili. No beans! Unless we're talking about a Jimmy Buff's dog. Then it's mustard on the roll and ketchup on top.
Jimmy Buff's :cool2:[cheers]
mustard for the dog, ketchup for the rest.
But plain ol dogs with onions and relish get mustard , not ketchup.

FWIW the proprietor of Bear's in Sayreville informs me that mustard use is trending down and ketchup use is trending up.

I told him he should charge extra for ketchup.

Yeah yeah yeah.. all you ketchup-haters have refined tastes and are just special people, better than anyone who puts ketchup on hot dogs.

We get it. You are all special enough to tell other people what they should like.

Reactions: RUonBrain
Yeah yeah yeah.. all you ketchup-haters have refined tastes and are just special people, better than anyone who puts ketchup on hot dogs.

We get it. You are all special enough to tell other people what they should like.
Not special, lets just say knowledgeable enough to think this is a good dog.
Nathan's Famous hot dogs - with grilled onions and mustard....ketchup was for the fries!
e23a459fa5904c9db69c3e8000b6fb43.jpg

Ketchup on a hot dog just doesn't go. I've tried it, it doesn't taste right. Might as well put ketchup in your morning coffee. Clint Eastwood had it right.

I had a hot dog last night. So I put ketchup on one end and mustard on the other end. Both were good in different ways. The vinegar in the ketchup added a nice tartness. The mustard added spiciness. Especially tasty was the center where the ketchup and mustard met.

And my wife thinks I'm weird.

For whatever the reason the end product is not as good. I live in FL. and bagel places have done just as you described and their product is just OK.No comparison with Watson Bagels in Jersey.

Ketchup and mustard together on my burgers and dogs. I prefer brown mustard to yellow most of the time. I will almost always have ketchup with my fries. It's good on fried fish and hash browns too. Mustard is good on a sub or a grilled sausage sandwich.

Ketchup is a main ingredient in baked beans, if the baked beans are good. So is mustard.

While shopping at Publix this morning, my son pointed out the sriracha ketchup. We just kept walking.

I don't put ketchup or mustard on my Powder Milk biscuits.

Ketchup and mustard together on my burgers and dogs. I prefer brown mustard to yellow most of the time. I will almost always have ketchup with my fries. It's good on fried fish and hash browns too. Mustard is good on a sub or a grilled sausage sandwich.

Ketchup is a main ingredient in baked beans, if the baked beans are good. So is mustard.

While shopping at Publix this morning, my son pointed out the sriracha ketchup. We just kept walking.

I don't put ketchup or mustard on my Powder Milk biscuits.
Ketchup on fish??[sick]

I love both ketchup (Heinz) and mustard of all kinds and am mostly a traditionalist with them, but not completely.

Hot dogs: French's yellow mustard is pretty much it.

Bratwurst: one of the spicy brown mustards, usually.

French Fries: ketchup mostly, but mustard once in awhile and sometimes a little bit of each together. Mayo or malt vinegar on fries is an abomination.

Burgers: ketchup, regardless of whether there's tomato on it; occasionally a few shots of mustard with the ketchup.

Porkrolleggandcheesewithsaltpepperketchuponahardrollofcourse.

Home fries or hash browns - ketchup.

Scrambled eggs: ketchup, sometimes.

Ham & cheese sandwich on most basic breads: French's yellow (and potato chips, sometimes).

Roast beef & cheese sandwich on most basic breads: spicy brown mustard. I don't like mayo.

When it comes to more unusual breads or crackers or something like a really good French baguette, along with various cheeses and cured meats, my go-to mustard is Amora Moutarde de Dijon, the best mustard on the planet. For years I thought you could only get it in France, but recently realized it could be ordered on line, which made me a happy camper. Like today, for lunch, when we got fresh baguettes, tomatoes, a couple of artisinal cheeses and meats, butter, pickles, peppers, crackers, etc. and just mixed and matched various combinations - most of which involved the Amora mustard for me.

I'm guessing you dip your shrimp cocktails into a nice vat of spicy mustard.
If you are trying to say because cocktail sauce is made with ketchup that they are similar Im guessing you burned your tastebuds so bad on pizza at one point in your life that you really can't taste anything anyway. But to clarify for your future reference, cocktail sause taste nothing like ketchup.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT