ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ketchup or Mustard

The famous Gallaghers Steak House steak sauce is primarily Heinze Ketchup and Guldens Brown Mustard 3:1 ratio. Dash of Worcestershire and Tabasco. My father loved that combination.
I always use the same Ketchup and Mustard combo
so now I will try the other two and see what we have,
Thanks

Craziest uses for ketchup that I have seen other people do.

ketchup on rice
ketchup on pizza
ketchup on sausage
ketchup on steak

I mean really.. WTF?!?

I will always put ketchup (heinz only) spicy mustard (yelllow if that's all there is) and sauerkraut on a hot dog. Unless, of course, it's a chili dog (regular or skyline) I don't care what anyone says.
Usual condiment go-to's on burgers; ketchup, spicy mustard, pickle, tomato and lettuce. Occasionally a little mayo (Hellman's only)

Food is such a personal thing, for people to have a conniption over what someone else does is pretty funny.
Yes, sauerkraut and mustard on a hot dog. Full disclosure, I went to the new greys on 8th and 38th (across from the old one) and had 4 of them, mustard and kraut. Makes me hungry just thinking about it

Craziest uses for ketchup that I have seen other people do.

ketchup on rice
ketchup on pizza
ketchup on sausage
ketchup on steak

I mean really.. WTF?!?
I've seen someone do ketchup in pasta, and not in a drunk/high need spaghetti and sauce kinda way. That's just how they ate.

In the spirit of loving anything that's been fermented - Ketchup is good stuff.

Burgers
Fries
Cheesesteaks
Meatloaf

Never on eggs you fools!

And malted vinegar on fries not only is delicious, but studies have shown that vinegar consumption reduces the post-meal insulin surge by 50%.
Malted vinegar is also good on boiled cabbage and roasted brussels sprouts.

How a hot dog is spiced is a critical component of how it's judged. Ketchup mutes the spice in the meat. Mustard, on the other hand, brings it out.

People who put ketchup on hot dogs are likely people who grew up eating shitty, tasteless Oscar Meyer dogs - it doesn't matter what you put on them.

Good observation on both points. I think I was one of those people putting ketchup on hot dogs (yup they were Oscar Meyer) years ago but now would never think of doing that. Ketchup on burgers, fries, and a little on egg/cheese sandwiches; mustard on hot dogs and ham/cheese sandwiches. Would never ruin a good steak with ketchup!!! Egad..........

Yes, sauerkraut and mustard on a hot dog. Full disclosure, I went to the new greys on 8th and 38th (across from the old one) and had 4 of them, mustard and kraut. Makes me hungry just thinking about it

Greys is the best

In the South, don't they call that..........pizza sauce?

I don't know but I do know that Pizza outside of NJ, NY, CT gets really crazy and weird and not very pizza like.

In fact, unless you are lucky enough to have someone from NJ, NY, CT move to another state and open up a pizza joint, there is a good chance that you will never eat real pizza.

That being said, go back to the weirdos that put catsup on everything, how about the people who live in NJ, NY, CT that still prefer fastfood "pizza", what the hell is that about??

I actually heard someone say, I am not making this up I swear, "We are forced to just go to the local Pizza joint since we don't have a Papa Johns nearby". You should have seen the "who farted" look on my face.

I know I should save pizza questions for the annual pizza thread but since you brought it up.

I don't know but I do know that Pizza outside of NJ, NY, CT gets really crazy and weird and not very pizza like.

In fact, unless you are lucky enough to have someone from NJ, NY, CT move to another state and open up a pizza joint, there is a good chance that you will never eat real pizza.

That being said, go back to the weirdos that put catsup on everything, how about the people who live in NJ, NY, CT that still prefer fastfood "pizza", what the hell is that about??

I actually heard someone say, I am not making this up I swear, "We are forced to just go to the local Pizza joint since we don't have a Papa Johns nearby". You should have seen the "who farted" look on my face.

I know I should save pizza questions for the annual pizza thread but since you brought it up.
Same applys to anyone goes to a Subway around here.

While we are discussing inappropriate us of condiments, has anyone tried hot sauce on watermelon. I got the idea from my wife's watermelon gazpacho. For me it has to be Frank's Hot Sauce.

Rutt's Hut relish on a ripper beats em all. Texas wiener sauce from Hot Grill comes in second.

58GUdKM.jpg

nnEGx9p.jpg

Good even without ketchup or mustard.....

This man is correct.

Rutt's Hut relish on a ripper beats em all. Texas wiener sauce from Hot Grill comes in second.

58GUdKM.jpg

nnEGx9p.jpg

Good even without ketchup or mustard.....

You have to put the original Johnny and Hange's on river St in Paterson on the list as well.

Same applys to anyone goes to a Subway around here.

And Red Lobster. I will end friendships over that. The only time going to Red Lobster was acceptable was 10 or 15 years ago when they did all you can eat snow crab legs. I think it was Monday nights.

DON'T ANYONE BRING UP CHEDDAR BISCUITS. They are grosser than ketchup and I think by now you guys know have I feel about ketchup.

Good topic.

Ketchup on burgers, unless you're going super high end (ie, black label burger). In that case you eat how they serve it to you.

Fries need ketchup. End of story.

Ketchup is essential to the pork roll, egg, and cheese. Salt, pepper, ketchup... yes please.

I also do ketchup on eggs and home fries at the diner. Never thought it was that weird until someone said, dude, that's weird. My wife does ketchup on diner grilled cheese. Still not sure what I see in her.

Mustard on hot dogs, every time. Spicey brown, none of that yellow crap. Same goes for soft pretzels. Dijon is good on sangwiches.

Here's a curve ball, mayo on a cheesesteak. With lettuce and tomato. Grease truck style, aka California Cheese Steak. Really good. Otherwise mayo only as an ingredient in potato salad, cole slaw, egg salad.

Bonus sauce, chili garlic sauce (the kind from the Asian section, jar with the green lid) is dope af on pizza.
Catsup is not essential to pork roll sandwiches. I was trying to cut down on calories and stopped the cheese and catsup on my pork roll egg sandwiches years ago (Of course, if I really was trying to be healthy, I should stop pork roll altogether but there must be some pleasures in life) It was difficult to remember at first because you have to emphasize "pork roll & egg sandwich. No cheese. No salt pepper catsup. Just some hot sauce" It is better than catsup IMO; siracha, or Frank's or whatever brand the deli may have.

Catsup is not essential to pork roll sandwiches. I was trying to cut down on calories and stopped the cheese and catsup on my pork roll egg sandwiches years ago (Of course, if I really was trying to be healthy, I should stop pork roll altogether but there must be some pleasures in life) It was difficult to remember at first because you have to emphasize "pork roll & egg sandwich. No cheese. No salt pepper catsup. Just some hot sauce" It is better than catsup IMO; siracha, or Frank's or whatever brand the deli may have.
I was in Dallas many years ago for the Texas/Oklahoma game. One of our gang asks the waitress for ketchup for his eggs. She laughs. She says I have something better. Returns with homemade salsa. She was right, we all had it with our eggs for the weekend and some still to this day.

I'm a fan of yellow mustard but will also eat the brown at times. I also forgot about ketchup on breakfast sandwiches like bacon, egg and cheese. And even though I'm Black I eat hot sauce on nothing but wings. My Dad use to douse it on just about anything as do many African Americans. I've been given the side eye many times about my aversion to the stuff. Bottom line it's all about tastes. In other words different strokes................

I was in Dallas many years ago for the Texas/Oklahoma game. One of our gang asks the waitress for ketchup for his eggs. She laughs. She says I have something better. Returns with homemade salsa. She was right, we all had it with our eggs for the weekend and some still to this day.
Cannot remember exactly when, but some years ago, I heard on TV news that salsa had surpassed catsup in sales in the US. My first reaction was surprise. Then I realized I go through at least one jar of salsa a month while the catsup bottle lasts for years.
I often put salsa on scrambled eggs, or top an omelet with it if I am not satisfied with flavor of the original fillings

I think you just like to say "salsa".

Reactions: WhiteBus
Cannot remember exactly when, but some years ago, I heard on TV news that salsa had surpassed catsup in sales in the US. My first reaction was surprise. Then I realized I go through at least one jar of salsa a month while the catsup bottle lasts for years.
I often put salsa on scrambled eggs, or top an omelet with it if I am not satisfied with flavor of the original fillings

Even people who use ketchup all the time only use a little bit at a time, compared to the amount of salsa that is used in a single serving.

While we are discussing inappropriate us of condiments, has anyone tried hot sauce on watermelon. I got the idea from my wife's watermelon gazpacho. For me it has to be Frank's Hot Sauce.

I put that shit on everything

Reactions: RUDutch
And Red Lobster. I will end friendships over that. The only time going to Red Lobster was acceptable was 10 or 15 years ago when they did all you can eat snow crab legs. I think it was Monday nights.

DON'T ANYONE BRING UP CHEDDAR BISCUITS. They are grosser than ketchup and I think by now you guys know have I feel about ketchup.
I would go to a Red Lobster any day over Olive Garden. Not even close. I often wonder who OG can possibly survive in States like NJ.

Why are you including CT with us?

On another note, I always laugh when I remember that they ran out of pizza by halftime at the PJ bowl

Speaking as a Chicagoan, Chicago style hot dogs do include ketchup. A real Chicago style hot dog has chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, pickle relish, mustard, ketchup, hot peppers, and a few fries on a bun with poppy seeds wrapped in that wax paper stuff. Cannot be beaten! Still the way I prefer my dogs.

Down here it is called "tomato sauce" and isn't quite as sweet as ketchup. A bit more tangy. They also sell ketchup. They put tomato sauce on EVERYTHING down here. Lots of places will have a "sizzle" for charity. That means they set up a portable booth outside Mitre 10 (Home Depot) and fry sausages. For $2 you get a sausage on a piece of white bread (I'm not kidding) with some fried onions and tomato sauce. You can get used to it, but it just cries out for a decent bun and some mustard. I'd happily pay $5 for one on a decent bun with mustard.

"Pies" are huge down here, too. Meat pies. You could put a slice of chocolate cake on a bagel with cream cheese and a schmear of schmaltz and it still wouldn't be as unhealthy as a New Zealand meat pie.

Reactions: bac2therac
Speaking as a Chicagoan, Chicago style hot dogs do include ketchup. A real Chicago style hot dog has chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, pickle relish, mustard, ketchup, hot peppers, and a few fries on a bun with poppy seeds wrapped in that wax paper stuff. Cannot be beaten! Still the way I prefer my dogs.

Down here it is called "tomato sauce" and isn't quite as sweet as ketchup. A bit more tangy. They also sell ketchup. They put tomato sauce on EVERYTHING down here. Lots of places will have a "sizzle" for charity. That means they set up a portable booth outside Mitre 10 (Home Depot) and fry sausages. For $2 you get a sausage on a piece of white bread (I'm not kidding) with some fried onions and tomato sauce. You can get used to it, but it just cries out for a decent bun and some mustard. I'd happily pay $5 for one on a decent bun with mustard.

"Pies" are huge down here, too. Meat pies. You could put a slice of chocolate cake on a bagel with cream cheese and a schmear of schmaltz and it still wouldn't be as unhealthy as a New Zealand meat pie.

Sounds like honing up on your breadmaking skills could net you a nice little side business.

In the spirit of loving anything that's been fermented - Ketchup is good stuff.

Burgers
Fries
Cheesesteaks
Meatloaf

Never on eggs you fools!

And malted vinegar on fries not only is delicious, but studies have shown that vinegar consumption reduces the post-meal insulin surge by 50%.
Malted vinegar is also good on boiled cabbage and roasted brussels sprouts.

ketchup is awesome on eggs, you are missing out

Sounds like honing up on your breadmaking skills could net you a nice little side business.
We've been making bread at home a lot. Or I should say Moms Skillethead is; she's on sabbatical.
ketchup is awesome on eggs, you are missing out
Ketchup on eggs tastes like.....ketchup on eggs. Gives me chills just imagining it. Mustard on a fried egg sandwich, however, is quite nice.

(BTW, "quite" in UK English actually means "not quite". "He's quite tall" means he's not really all that tall. I kid you not.)

Speaking of bagels... in NZ, do you ever get to Best Ugly Bagels in Auckland? I know you are on the South Island but the bagels are worth a stop when you are in the north. BTW thanks for your advice when I visited NZ back in March. I followed some of the advice from you and your friend... It was a great visit. I did the entire Coromandel Peninsula, Piha Beach, Devonport, etc. Thx

Speaking of bagels... in NZ, do you ever get to Best Ugly Bagels in Auckland? I know you are on the South Island but the bagels are worth a stop when you are in the north. BTW thanks for your advice when I visited NZ back in March. I followed some of the advice from you and your friend... It was a great visit. I did the entire Coromandel Peninsula, Piha Beach, Devonport, etc. Thx
Never been there, but I'll definitely try it. Bagels are so bad in Dunedin (we're talking Lenders bad) that we have been trying to make our own! The only halfway decent bagels are actually sold in the Otago Museum coffee shop. A New Yorker is the cook there. Not too bad.

Glad you enjoyed the North Island. Now if you really want to see NZ, come on down to the South Island!

Was at Rutt's last night. Mmmmmm. Once every few months is good though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT