ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Khao Lak, Thailand

ScarletRunner

Senior
Aug 17, 2001
Planning a vacation to Khao Lak in Thailand late Jan/early Feb. Went to Koh Lanta two years ago (first time in Thailand) and loved it. It will be me and my wife, our teenage son and two younger (3 and 4) sons... So go easy on the "lady-boy" jokes.

I will be going diving - hopefully to Richelieu Rock - and we are considering a day trip to Khao Sok. We are wrapping up our trip with a few days in Bangkok for shopping, food and as many of the cultural sites as is possible with two toddlers in tow. Other than that our plan is to lay on the beach or by the pool, get massages, relax, etc.

Does anyone have experience with a live-aboard in the Khao Lak or general Andaman sea area? I'm hoping I can do a two-day trip and bring my wife and the small kids along...? Is that at all possible or a good idea? When we went diving in Koh Lanta, some of the dive shops offered a kind of nanny service. Would love to hear from folks who have done this.

Would welcome any other thoughts or suggestions from folks who have been to the area. Also would welcome Bangkok suggestions on sightseeing and food.

Thanks in advance.

Planning a vacation to Khao Lak in Thailand late Jan/early Feb. Went to Koh Lanta two years ago (first time in Thailand) and loved it. It will be me and my wife, our teenage son and two younger (3 and 4) sons... So go easy on the "lady-boy" jokes.

I will be going diving - hopefully to Richelieu Rock - and we are considering a day trip to Khao Sok. We are wrapping up our trip with a few days in Bangkok for shopping, food and as many of the cultural sites as is possible with two toddlers in tow. Other than that our plan is to lay on the beach or by the pool, get massages, relax, etc.

Does anyone have experience with a live-aboard in the Khao Lak or general Andaman sea area? I'm hoping I can do a two-day trip and bring my wife and the small kids along...? Is that at all possible or a good idea? When we went diving in Koh Lanta, some of the dive shops offered a kind of nanny service. Would love to hear from folks who have done this.

Would welcome any other thoughts or suggestions from folks who have been to the area. Also would welcome Bangkok suggestions on sightseeing and food.

Thanks in advance.
I think your beach destination is off the beaten path so can't help you there. We loved Koh Samui; Phuket was just eh.
Bangkok is just great. Kids might like the sights and sounds of JJ market, open on Saturdays and Sundays. Be ready to bargain! And watch for pickpockets!
The Grand Palace is also wonderful for "kids" of all ages. Try to hire a private Guide if you can.The Golden Buddha is also a must see.
If you do a day trip from Bangkok, consider the floating market. Very touristy but the kids love it.
You can't go wrong with food in Bangkok, but with kids in tow do NOT try the street food. Delicious and cheap but you need to be with a guide to be sure you go to a sanitary place.
Too bad Chiang Mai is not on your itinerary - you could go to one of the elephant camps!

Reactions: ScarletRunner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT