ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Las Vegas

RUboston

All American
Sep 13, 2002
Heading to Las Vegas for the first time later this month for a wedding. Any day trips out of the city that are worthwhile? Is the Grand Canyon doable?

Heading to Las Vegas for the first time later this month for a wedding. Any day trips out of the city that are worthwhile? Is the Grand Canyon doable?
Red Rock Canyon is pretty awesome and only about 30 mins away in the Summerlin area. Also check out T-Bones at the Red Rock Resort.....one of the best meals that I ever had.

I drove from the Grand Canyon to Vegas once and it is a 4 hour ride. You get to see Hover dam on the way but it is a long ride for the day. Plenty of helicopter rides from Vegas that would be awesome I bet.

T2K answered this one correctly, Red Rock is the spot.

My recomendation for in city is get to the old strip. Found it much more interesting then the new strip.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
I go to LV a lot. Personally, I don't love the Grand Canyon ride/experience. Hoover Dam tour is worth seeing. Lake Mead is also worth going to. About a 3 hour ride is Joshua Tree National Park - very underrated. If you want, Kingman, AZ is about 1.5 hour drive - it is the crystal meth capital of the US. Do not go to Bonnie Springs - awful tourist trap worse than South of the Border.

Reactions: RUforester72
A side trip to Area 51 is also pretty cool. The drive through the desert and mountains is great and although you wont see any UFO's you can have lunch at the cafe in Rachel Nevada where 51 is located and hear the stories from the locals.

Reactions: DirtyRU
Valley of Fire, 1 hour northeast of Vegas. Fiery red rock formations, great roads, and a really cool spot away from the city hustle/bustle.
Great place as well. And on the way back to Vegas, you can drive down and check out Hoover Dam.

Reactions: RUsSKii
Mob museum

Vegas/The-Mob-Museum-Admission/d684-5932MOB?mobile_redirect=no&pref=02&mcid=28353&supag=44765631356&supkl=kl&supsc=s&supai=209319637196&supap=1t1&supdv=t&supnt=g&supti=dsa-340680097361&suplp=9030050&supli=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwh7zWBRCiARIsAId9b4qfmtGfDRVmEI5YFaebAeSMyGNP7dsKSGQAMEiO85kYd7Ro_1VDqFYaAlRgEALw_wcB

Reactions: SteveVA2
I have never done Vegas but where is Piscataway Mike and brother?-they do Vegas every year or two. I know one year they split up for a day with their cousin who did the same day helicopter tour to Grand Canyon. Believe he enjoyed.

I go to LV a lot. Personally, I don't love the Grand Canyon ride/experience. Hoover Dam tour is worth seeing. Lake Mead is also worth going to. About a 3 hour ride is Joshua Tree National Park - very underrated. If you want, Kingman, AZ is about 1.5 hour drive - it is the crystal meth capital of the US. Do not go to Bonnie Springs - awful tourist trap worse than South of the Border.
Nothing can be worse than South of the Border.

images

Reactions: DirtyRU
="zappaa, post: 3265223, member: 282"]Pedro draws everyone in one time.
After you visit, you never go back.

AAA Mets play in Vegas[/QUOTE]
Quick South of the Border story. Driving back from Florida one year. We are about 150 miles from the place Wife says lets stop. I say it's a S^%t hole no way we stop. I get tired and ask her to drive for awhile and I zonk out. When I wake up we are pulling into the place We go in and we are out in less than 10 minutes. First and only time in 52 years of marriage I can remember her admitting I was right. LOL PS I don't let her drive any more on the trips cause I have no idea where we wlll end up

did a polaris tour last time. Rode through the middle of desert, sae wild horses n had lunch at some famous old time saloon. Can't remember the name but it''s been in a bunch of movies, out in the middle of nowhere. Cool place, cool trip. All new polaris with switch adjust suspension is the way to go.

Old Vegas if you want to see a freak show. Pretty much everyone is next to naked and they call it street performance. Old Vegas does have the heart attack grill. If your over 350 pounds you eat for free.

Reactions: bigbirdRU
Thanks for the recommendations. Leaving tomorrow! Temperatures in the mid 90's tomorrow through Saturday. Very welcome after a New England winter and spring. Yesterday morning had to scrape frost off my windshield.

Just got back. Great weekend and quite an interesting place, to say the least. Place was jumping Friday and Saturday nights.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT