ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Let's check-in on UConn football...

...and with our boys on the call...
The most interesting part of that video from a 2023 standpoint - who in 2009 could have possibly predicted that the only guy in that vide (or even on the field that day) still getting a paycheck to play football is Andrew DePaola?

Guy is such a great story that doesn't get talked about enough here.

I despise UConn and their fan base.

But, I take no pleasure in seeing how far they've fallen, since, without the Big 10 invite, that could've been us.

I'm not suggesting that we didn't deserve the invite; I absolutely think it was the right decision by the B1G. But without it, where might we be.

Reactions: Knightmoves

But, I take no pleasure in seeing how far they've fallen, since, without the Big 10 invite, that could've been us.

I'm not suggesting that we didn't deserve the invite; I absolutely think it was the right decision by the B1G. But without it, where might we be.
Not true, when we were playing USF, Temple, etc every week, traveling to FIU and Fresno for away games, we still had huge crowds and fan support. UConn, outside of one miracle season where 7-5 got you a new years game, has had 0 football success.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Great whataboutism. At least they reported on the laptop, while every other newspaper buried the story.

I didn't see the story in the NY Post about how the guy who took classified docs put them on a laptop. Maybe Miranda Devine missed that. After all she is busy paying defamation settlements to children with dwarfism- to the point she had to flee her country in embarrassment to take up propaganda here.

Reactions: thegock and Kbee3

You're a better man then me, because I'm enjoying the shit out of it.

They opted for this…bit the face off their football team to save their basketball team…this wouldn’t have happened at Rutgers.

They opted for this…bit the face off their football team to save their basketball team…this wouldn’t have happened at Rutgers.

It is not the worst thing . That is basketball school and kept their men’s and basketball fans happy . It paid off in winning national championships in football and basketball. I guess the fanbase is accepting

It is not the worst thing . That is basketball school and kept their men’s and basketball fans happy . It paid off in winning national championships in football and basketball. I guess the fanbase is accepting
I thought it was ridiculous when they chose to do this, but it’s clear it was the right decision for them.

They have the worst fanbase in all of college sports, I have no sympathy for them just as they would have no sympathy for us. At some point you have to wonder if Hurley is going to grow tired of having his OOC schedule dictated by their sad excuse for a football program. Let's face it, the only reason P4 programs will play them is because they get a basketball game in return. Look at their 2024 football schedule with games against Wake, Duke, and Maryland, all basketball schools.

UConn needs to fulfill their MAC destiny...or just have their football team rot to the point of dropping down to FCS in a few years.

UConn needs to fulfill their MAC destiny...or just have their football team rot to the point of dropping down to FCS in a few years.

One of the points of contention for Temple when they were in the MAC is that the MAC wanted them to bring their basketball program with them and they refused. The MAC might not be so fast to admit UConn for football only.

Reactions: cicero grimes
One of the points of contention for Temple when they were in the MAC is that the MAC wanted them to bring their basketball program with them and they refused. The MAC might not be so fast to admit UConn for football only.
In all honesty what value dies uconn bring to the Mac as a football only product. It won't increase the leagues tv revenue or ratings.

In all honesty what value dies uconn bring to the Mac as a football only product. It won't increase the leagues tv revenue or ratings.
Exactly - only benefits the MAC if they are all sports - and Ucan’t won’t do that. The MAC membership is stable and they don’t get poached so there’s no reason for FB only members.

They had no viable future as a big time football school. No history. No in state recruiting to give them a competitive advantage. No rabid fanbase. They really had no choice but to focus on bball.

Once they hired Hurley, they could have won an NC had they been in the American. Strength of schedule doens't necessarily matter in the NCAA tournament. That would have fed attendance, etc. as well. They hired a dud of a coach after Calhoun retired, timed with the collapse of the Big East

If the move was also to save Olympic sports from going to mostly southern, remote destinations, then that makes the move better.

Once they hired Hurley, they could have won an NC had they been in the American. Strength of schedule doens't necessarily matter in the NCAA tournament. That would have fed attendance, etc. as well. They hired a dud of a coach after Calhoun retired, timed with the collapse of the Big East

If the move was also to save Olympic sports from going to mostly southern, remote destinations, then that makes the move better.
They wanted the old rivalries and recruiting base. Also, part of the move had women’s hoops in mind .

The most interesting part of that video from a 2023 standpoint - who in 2009 could have possibly predicted that the only guy in that vide (or even on the field that day) still getting a paycheck to play football is Andrew DePaola?

Guy is such a great story that doesn't get talked about enough here.
DePaola has made a nice living as an NFL long snapper. Ironically, his most memorable play at RU was also as a special teamer, but as holder. He threw a TD pass on a fake FG in the 2007 upset of #2 USF.

Reactions: colbert17
I still think building the stadium so far away from campus was a huge mistake.
That was their state politicians who forced that boondoggle on them. Their bball teams also have to play a certain number of games off campus as well.

They had no viable future as a big time football school. No history. No in state recruiting to give them a competitive advantage. No rabid fanbase. They really had no choice but to focus on bball.
Then why keep the albatross of FBS football intact? Drop down to FCS so that way they don't have to have the anchor of football financially crippling them.

I can sum up this thread in 3 words
I HATE UCONN (am I allowed in todays world to say hate?) let me try again
I ABHOR UCONN

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT