ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Major New Jersey Heatwave Discussion And Observation Thread

Another early round of disc golf, this time at Ft. Washington, PA. Was 85F at 9:30 am when I started and only 87F when I finished before noon - didn't feel that humid and 80% of the holes were in shade with a light breeze, so it was fairly comfortable. Stopped and played poker for a few hours at Parx on the way home and it was 98F on the car thermometer at 4 pm on most of the NJ TPK from 6 to 10. Didn't see any highs hit 100F, although the NJ list isn't every location. The weekend looks a tad warmer and more humid, with heat indices in the 100-105 range for the urban corridor with Sunday looking to be the worst, with dewpoints in the upper 60s (lower 60s for Saturday which is a bit more bearable).

https://www.njweather.org/maps/mapviewer?mapname=temperaturemax_daily

weatherstory.png
the Ft Washington Disc golf seems popular, I have taken the scouts to that park a couple times to teach them orienteering on the course there and the disc golf course is always busy.

Reactions: RU848789
Looking like 101 today with a DP of 50 and a lovely humidity of 15 %. Still hot as balls, though.

I'm so confused by this thread.
At least the winter snow threads have actually snow you can see and look at.

The obsession with summer heat is literally just looking at a thermometer?

Reactions: goru1869

Well maybe we need some busty, mature women in bikinis to look at.

Well maybe we need some busty, mature women in bikinis to look at.
Seriously.

Come on, @NickRU714 haven’t you realized that’s what this thread it really about.

high heat = more skin

At least for us at the beach.😎

Is this the longest hot streak in a while there?
The vast majority of locations in the Philly-NJ-NYC region are on day 5 or 6 of the heatwave, including all of the NWS stations of record in NJ and I'm guessing we've had streaks that long in the last 5 years, but not sure (I'm sure someone has posted more data on the weather boards). The "big" streaks of 10 or more days in NJ were in the years in the link below, with the record being 20 days in Newark in 1988 and 2nd place being both Newark and AC at 14 days in 2010.

https://nj1015.com/summer-swelter-the-longest-sweatiest-heat-waves-on-record-in-nj/

Says a guy indoors in air conditioning! 🤣

Reactions: NickRU714
How are the ticks? I haven’t seen them up here but know friends that were complaining about them down there.
They were terrible at beginning of summer. First few rides cam back with 5 or more ticks each ride. I found one embedded on my back. Got doxycycline. Now I spray my shoes and socks and tuck riding pants into socks. Still find dead ticks on my socks so I know the spray is working.

I was in already today in Spring Lake and it is warmer than yesterday.

North End pool was warmer too.
Is it true that both of those pools are salt water pools and that they fill and empty them every day? Was in the ocean this morning after an early morning bike ride out to the reservoir. A refreshing 68 degrees.

They were terrible at beginning of summer. First few rides cam back with 5 or more ticks each ride. I found one embedded on my back. Got doxycycline. Now I spray my shoes and socks and tuck riding pants into socks. Still find dead ticks on my socks so I know the spray is working.

Pants in that heat? That's dedication to your craft 🚴‍♂️

Is it true that both of those pools are salt water pools and that they fill and empty them every day? Was in the ocean this morning after an early morning bike ride out to the reservoir. A refreshing 68 degrees.
Only for the South End.

But it was recently redone so not sure if the do that anymore as I’m at the North End.

WooooHoooo!!! Finished the 100-plus miles of the AT in Shenandoah National Park on Thursday, starting from Luray and hiking south to Rockfish Gap. Seven days. Hot, yes. Lotsa wawa with electrolytes made it possible. Going to sit out the heat of August before continuing to Harper's Ferry, then hitting pause again until Fall. Hiking in the heat is not fun.

The "old" RU gang did much of NJ with me last Fall; they now want to join in this year (following the IU game in Oct) and take on the AT in NY.

Another early round of disc golf, this time at Ft. Washington, PA. Was 85F at 9:30 am when I started and only 87F when I finished before noon - didn't feel that humid and 80% of the holes were in shade with a light breeze, so it was fairly comfortable. Stopped and played poker for a few hours at Parx on the way home and it was 98F on the car thermometer at 4 pm on most of the NJ TPK from 6 to 10. Didn't see any highs hit 100F, although the NJ list isn't every location. The weekend looks a tad warmer and more humid, with heat indices in the 100-105 range for the urban corridor with Sunday looking to be the worst, with dewpoints in the upper 60s (lower 60s for Saturday which is a bit more bearable).

https://www.njweather.org/maps/mapviewer?mapname=temperaturemax_daily

weatherstory.png
Another round of DG today, this time our league play at Oak Ridge Park in Clark, from about 10 am to 12:30 pm and it really wasn't that bad again - we have people from their teens to their 70s playing and nobody seemed to be having issues with the heat. Dewpoints around 60F are tolerable, even with 90F heat (was 92F when we finished). Tomorrow is going to be the brutal day with temps near 100F and dewpoints around 70F, with a 10-15 mph breeze possibly being the only saving grace. Monday won't be as hot (low 90s), but the humidity will keep dewpoints around 70F, which is soupy. Temps will finally fall back into the 80s on Tuesday with less humidity, but Weds through the weekend will likely see temps in the low 90s again.

Reactions: Knight Shift
The odd thing is I play disc golf at Allaire every week or two and I've yet to see a tick (I do thorough checks mid-round and at the end of the round). Some recent research has shown that some insects seem to "favor" certain people with higher CO2 output (a measure of metabolic rate). I know my wife gets bitten by mosquitos much more than I do - not sure if this applies to ticks.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-mosquitoes-bite-some-people-more-than-others/

all I know is when growing up my house . relatives houses and friends houses didn't have AC .
Hot days windows open hoping for a breeze .
Played and worked summers and was used to the heat .
Now I don't think I could live like that after years of AC cooling me down in the cars and trucks I drove along with central air in houses I lived in over the years.
In Arizona during the early 70s didn't have AC in my house, but a swamp cooler took the edge off but still heat was felt during the day. Hottest months just was a warm breeze hitting you but uncomfortable .
Now in hot months don't think a swamp cooler would be of use.
Now , at my age, AC a must when heat doing its worst and health might be in jeopardy if I had to go without an AC to cool me off and have to put up with the heat like if I was homeless and subject to the elements.
I found this when looking for deaths caused by the heat.
Heat was a contributing factor in 1,577 U.S. deaths in 2021, according to provisional data. That's a 56% jump from 1,012 in 2018. Heat-related deaths are most common in Nevada and Arizona.( posted Jun 6, 2022)
I don’t know how I grew up without AC but I did.
We all had fans in our rooms

Are you aware of Yogi Berra Day at the Somerset Patriots on Aug. 5th? Giving out bobbleheads of your dad to the 1st 1,000. Also got my Yankee/Yogi shirt a few days ago to wear.

The odd thing is I play disc golf at Allaire every week or two and I've yet to see a tick (I do thorough checks mid-round and at the end of the round). Some recent research has shown that some insects seem to "favor" certain people with higher CO2 output (a measure of metabolic rate). I know my wife gets bitten by mosquitos much more than I do - not sure if this applies to ticks.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-mosquitoes-bite-some-people-more-than-others/
That's funny because biting bugs like my wife but not me. Never had a problem with ticks until this year. I'm in the best cardiovascular condition now then in the last 20 or so years. I will try getting fat again and see if that drives the ticks away. 😜

I grew up in oceanport NJ without AC until mid HS and then it was a couple of small window units that were only turned on in the evenings to cool down a bit and after that fans…didn’t seem that bad 🤷🏻‍♂️ …admittedly we had a really small ranch and it was really well shaded (big ass maples)

Last edited by a moderator:
House I grew up in (NJ) was originally built in 1888 and then renovated in 1968. We had window AC units in all bedrooms and a large wall unit in the great room downstairs. Loved the AC in the summer. Having been based in NC since '82, I couldn't imagine what life was like down here (especially from the piedmont to the east) before AC. Yikes....

Reactions: Knight Shift
House I grew up in (NJ) was originally built in 1888 and then renovated in 1968. We had window AC units in all bedrooms and a large wall unit in the great room downstairs. Loved the AC in the summer. Having been based in NC since '82, I couldn't imagine what life was like down here (especially from the piedmont to the east) before AC. Yikes....
There's zero doubt that AC was the enabling technology that allowed populations to grow explosively throughout the south and southwest US. I can't even imagine living in that heat without AC for months on end - even though I didn't have AC growing up in SNJ, there were really only maybe 10-15 nights per year that were difficult to sleep in.

Is it necessary in mountains there, too?

Once you get up over 5,500 or 6,000 feet in the West, high temps tend to stay in the 80s all summer and AC isn't so universal. Low humidity helps.

Are you aware of Yogi Berra Day at the Somerset Patriots on Aug. 5th? Giving out bobbleheads of your dad to the 1st 1,000. Also got my Yankee/Yogi shirt a few days ago to wear.
Damn! Our night is the day before. I will probably be going then. I want my bobble head!

Is it necessary in mountains there, too?

Once you get up over 5,500 or 6,000 feet in the West, high temps tend to stay in the 80s all summer and AC isn't so universal. Low humidity helps.
I'm up above Boone on a mountain top at 4600'. Climate here is similar to New Hampshire. Rainforest-like, too. While temps are relatively cool in summer, we run our whole-house mini-split system on "cool" in summer to condition the air, yes, to keep humidity down and ensure consistent airflow. But open windows, too, for a freshening regularly.

Reactions: fsg2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT