ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Major New Jersey Heatwave Discussion And Observation Thread

hot-so-hot.gif

Ocean temps are still in the mid 60s here so it wasn’t too bad last night when the winds shifted off the water. The morning was hot with the land breeze though. Today looks pretty hot

Don’t remember the last time water was this cold in late July for so long
Persistent southerly or southwesterly winds will do that. Blows the warm surface water away from shore, replaced by colder temperature water from deeper in the ocean.

Ocean temps are still in the mid 60s here so it wasn’t too bad last night when the winds shifted off the water. The morning was hot with the land breeze though. Today looks pretty hot

Don’t remember the last time water was this cold in late July for so long
I thought the water was notably warmer in the afternoon yesterday than in the morning when it was 68 in spring lake. Not sure about today although we do have a good but warm sw wind blowing.

Went to the Mother in Laws yesterday for a pool party. The pool was so warm it wasn't even refreshing. This heat had kicked up the water temp to 89 degrees. Upon first entering I said, "alright who pissed in the pool".

Reactions: goru1869
36% humidity here in Wall. Went on another long bike ride, leaving after 10 a.m., and it was very nice. Breezy. Not nearly as muggy as yesterday. The breeze was refreshing. Interestingly, there were a lot of deer stirring around in the woods. Saw zero yesterday. Saw 10-15 today. Also, the lack of rain is causing the rasberry plants in the woods to wilt.

Some were posting about life pre AC. Got me thinking about growing up in 1940' & 50's Brooklyn. No AC of course, just wall to wall concrete & asphalt. Our block was just shoulder to shoulder brownstones. Our apt bldg was the only building with a bit of space on either side. Needless to say not much air moving.
At night you'd just lay in bed & sweat. My folks had a small fan that just moved hot air around.
People were out on their stoops & fire escapes until real late just trying to get a little air. Then of course the garbage truck would come down the street in the early morning hours at least a couple of times a week--big gloppata gloppata back end grinding all the garbage that the guys threw in & the guys fogging the empty metal garbage cans off the sidewalk & airy way fences--sounded like WW111. Don't know how the men did it. Got up in the morning after a little sleep & were off to their factory jobs on the hot subway. Worked in the heat all day & came home in a hot subway car, just to do it all over the next day. And the women had to take care of the children every day & of course do all the house work, grocery shopping & cooking.
All that being said, we all got through it. And the young guys like me & my buddies continued to play stickball & the girls continued to jump rope & play potsey.

Last edited:
Some were posting about life pre AC. Got me thinking about growing up in 1940' & 50's Brooklyn. No AC of course, just wall to wall concrete & asphalt. Our block was just shoulder to shoulder brownstones. Our apt bldg was the only building with a bit of space on either side. Needless to say not much air moving.
At night you'd just lay in bed & sweat. My folks had a small fan that just moved hot air around.
People were out on their stoops & fire escapes until real late just trying to get a little air. Then of course the garbage truck would come down the street in the early morning hours at least a couple of times a week--big gloppata gloppata back end grinding all the garbage that the guys threw in & the guys fogging the empty metal garbage cans off the sidewalk & airy way fences--sounded like WW111. Don't know how the men did it. Got up in the morning after a little sleep & were off to their factory jobs on the hot subway. Worked in the heat all day & came home in a hot subway car, just to do it all over the next day. And the women had to take care of the children every day & of course do all the house work, grocery shopping & cooking.
All that being said, we all got through it. And the young guys like me & my buddies continued to play stickball & the girls continued to jump rope & play potsey.
That's what my wife experienced in Bensonhurst. Mine was similar but in NJ. No AC. Actually when we did get a window unit for our living room my Mother wouldn't let it run because she hated it blowing on her. I have the same problem - can't stand fans or AC blowing directly on me.
Saw on TV a few days ago that the longest period of 90 degree days was like 14 back in 1953. I guess we survived Climate Change back then also. I probably spent those days playing ball with my friends and never thought much about it. The last few days as I stayed in my cool house my 11 year old neighbor was out in his backyard shooting hoops. Reminded me of myself way back to my childhood days.
BTW, on the weather front. Here on Staten Island we have not had any of the recent storms dump some rain on us. They either went North or South of us. I'm praying for rain because we have plenty of wooded areas nearby that have fallen trees and years of accumulated leaves and brush that could go up in flames.

That's what my wife experienced in Bensonhurst. Mine was similar but in NJ. No AC. Actually when we did get a window unit for our living room my Mother wouldn't let it run because she hated it blowing on her. I have the same problem - can't stand fans or AC blowing directly on me.
Saw on TV a few days ago that the longest period of 90 degree days was like 14 back in 1953. I guess we survived Climate Change back then also. I probably spent those days playing ball with my friends and never thought much about it. The last few days as I stayed in my cool house my 11 year old neighbor was out in his backyard shooting hoops. Reminded me of myself way back to my childhood days.
BTW, on the weather front. Here on Staten Island we have not had any of the recent storms dump some rain on us. They either went North or South of us. I'm praying for rain because we have plenty of wooded areas nearby that have fallen trees and years of accumulated leaves and brush that could go up in flames.

You must be mistaken about the neighbor. Kids don't play outside anymore, especially in the heat.

I've heard it from many really observant, insightful posters here who are very current with the latest trends.

95 in Hillsborough before noon
Since you seem to like the heat you should spend a summer down here in SA…41 days over 100 so far (93 days over 90) and the next two weeks appear no different. Granted, this is a bit much even for here but you get used to it! 😎

Reactions: bac2therac
They canceled the 6th race at Monmouth due to the heat index,yet they're going to try again for the 7th race at 4PM.

It's 100F in Hillsborough - wonder if bac is looking a bit like this right now...

kramer-turkey.gif

The humidity is not as high as forecast today, as dewpoints are still only in the low 60s in most places (expected near 70F), keeping it bearable with the breeze. Can't wait for the cold front to come through tomorrow to being some much needed rain in t-storms (but they won't hit everywhere - could be some severe ones, though) and to sweep the heat out, as the rest of the week looks warm, not hot, with typical hit or miss summertime t-storms possible most afternoons.

Played disc golf at Ocean County Park this morning - done by 11 am and it wasn't too bad. Bought some great Jersey corn/tomatoes/etc. at my favorite farm market down there, Dwulet's, which has supposedly been there since 1908, ate a bunch of it (fantastic sweet white corn) did some yardwork and now we're off to see a movie.

Reactions: goru1869
See my post from a couple of days ago. Longest streak of 90F weather in NJ was 20 days in 1988 in Newark. Hopefully, we'll all get some rain tomorrow in storms...

lawns are browning out
Yup, I've been trying to keep mine somewhat green but to no avail. I dont have a irrigation system so I go to running my sprinkler before work. It's a no win battle in this heat. Hopefully some much needed rain tomorrow. Seems like the last 5 times they predicted thunderstorms I haven't gotten much of anything in Hamilton. The last thirty days Im about 1" of rainfall.

Yup, I've been trying to keep mine somewhat green but to no avail. I dont have a irrigation system so I go to running my sprinkler before work. It's a no win battle in this heat. Hopefully some much needed rain tomorrow. Seems like the last 5 times they predicted thunderstorms I haven't gotten much of anything in Hamilton. The last thirty days Im about 1" of rainfall.
That’s been the tough thing - even on days when there was an alert, no storms or rain materialized in my area. I guess I should be careful what I wish for.

I haven't mowed in two weeks in Hamilton. Lawn completely dormant except for the dandelions, plantains, and nutsedge.

We have two lawns that have not been mowed in 5 weeks

We are hanging in so far with our trimmings and landscape jobs but desperately need rain this go around this week

I am skeptical of tomorrow

The beach area of Manasquan had 2 more outages today, a half hour and about an hour and a half. That's 3 in 4 days.

Boy it got hot quick and opening the windows would do no good.

I haven't mowed in two weeks in Hamilton. Lawn completely dormant except for the dandelions, plantains, and nutsedge.
Yes, agreed. As I think you know based on your posts, most cool season grasses are “C3” plants, which do well in cooler climates. Many weeds, such as crab grass, nutsedge, etc. are “C4” plants that thrive in heat and dry conditions. The two have different photosynthesis processes. That’s why many weeds keep growing/thriving when cool season grasses go dormant.

Last edited:
Reactions: rurichdog
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT