ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Michigan AD “Absolutely no Friday games.”

Unless Moore keeps the Wolverines a top program , in two years Michigan will scheduled ( every year)to be the first BTN Friday Night game and if there's a Thursday one > Michigan can bet their sweet Bippy they will be the pick.

Reactions: JRZEER
I’ll be interested to see if there’s ever push back on this from the conference. I’d doubt it.
How can there be pushback? Do you realize how difficult it is to get 107K people into a small town like that on Friday?

There’s no mass transit. People drive in.
It would be a nightmare. And It’s not like Rutgers where most attendees are local. Lots of fans come from all over the country.

Michigan Football is an economic ecosystem onto itself. People count on hotels to be filled Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. With a Friday night game, there’s no reason to stay Saturday. This would be detrimental to hotels, bars, and restaurants.

I’ll be interested to see if there’s ever push back on this from the conference. I’d doubt it.
If there's not explicit language in the B1G bylaws and tv contracts as to who decides the schedules, then, I have seriously over-estimated the legal prowess of the B1G....

How can there be pushback? Do you realize how difficult it is to get 107K people into a small town like that on Friday?

It would be a nightmare. And It’s not like Rutgers where most attendees are local. Lots of fans come from all over the country.

Michigan Football is an economic ecosystem onto itself. People count on hotels to be filled Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. With a Friday night game, there’s no reason to stay Saturday. This would be detrimental to hotels, bars, and restaurants.
Nebraska and Oregon would be similar and they both have Friday games. I get the reasons for Michigan not wanting one, whether or not it’s their choice is question

Reactions: Virginiarufan

I agree with you for the most part, but how many people do you think are taking mass transit to RU games? Very few.

Nebraska and Oregon would be similar and they both have Friday games. I get the reasons for Michigan not wanting one, whether or not it’s their choice is question
Michigan and Ohio State drive the bus. Were along for the ride. Yes, it’s their choice.

Oregon’s stadium capacity is 54K. Nebraskas is 85K. Much smaller numbers of people.

No different than Ohio State, Penn State.

giphy.gif

Before CBS sports, ESPN put Army games on at 8PM every Sat.
It made a big difference since people had to park/tailgate in the cold/dark.
There were more obnoxious drunk kids at night games (never seen at day games).
As home viewer I liked getting games over with and keep fall days open.
But night games did suck live

Last edited:

Don't care. Make it work. They are part of a conference and must take their share of *stuff* assignments. How about a 9PM local LA kickoff time at USC?

Last edited:
Reactions: RU-AGK

Thanks Al. Are you a Michigan rooter now too? Can you send me a video of their locker room please?

Ann Arbor is a "small town"? They're more than double the size of New Brunswick by population.
This, and about a 45 min drive from Detroit.

And every region that benefits from economic spillover of college football games deals with missing out on some of that when the local school has a Friday game vs. Saturday. That's certainly not unique to schools with larger stadiums.

It doesn’t matter to me if the play Friday nights. Like others said give other schools including RU the exposure. There are plenty of teams in B10 to pick from otherwise!

This is BS. They are part of a conference and should be treated the same as everyone else.

Reactions: RU-AGK
B10 Commish needs to tell the Mich AD to STFU, it is disrespectful to him and other members. This clown could have made his feelings known to the Commish in private and probably never have been forced to play on Friday.
Does this embolden other programs to do likewise, outside of the top three?
Maybe on other issues also, if it looks like the big ten bosses can be bullied

Any program declaring they can't have a Friday night game has to have valid reasons that can be made public

Reactions: MADHAT1
They can always join the SEC, or become an independent like Notre Dinero.
Speaking of ND, if they ever joined the B10, they would be the 4th who would likely be essentially exempt from Friday games in addition to PSU, Michigan, OSU.

I wouldn't say it would never happen but it would likely be a rarity for those 3. If it did happen most likely it would be early in the season as an opener or something. I suppose a Black Friday game like PSU last year at MSU is also possible. These type of cases would most likely be the exception rather than the rule.

Life isn't fair and honestly as those above mentioned, if you're a lower status school having an exclusive window to yourself can be a positive thing with regards to exposure.

edit: The BC and GT games against FSU this year were nice exposure boosts for both schools when they won.

Last edited:
I think schools like RU like the Friday night games (I love em). And some don't. So as long as it's a voluntary thing, everyone can get what they want. It would be a different matter if nobody wanted this and three schools got to exempt themselves but it was forced on everyone else. I highly doubt that that would fly.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT