ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Michigan AD “Absolutely no Friday games.”

I am on the side of one Friday night 8 pm home game a year , preferably earlier in the season.
I will also be ok with playing a Friday night playoff game at home on December 20 , 2024 too.

I think we're just used to getting thrown wonky start times, being former Big East members, with the promise of "exposure". I guess we need to showcase to other conferences that we're a middle-of-the-pack team in case they want us to bolt. Michigan likes their Saturdays, they define stodgy. Heck they didn't even play a home night game until 2011.

I don’t see any inconvenience or local revenue loss. People coming from far and wide to Ann Arbor or State College or South Bend for a Saturday game are coming by Friday anyway. And the locals will adjust to Friday just like we do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Virginiarufan
FWIW, tOSU and PSU have each participated in multiple Th/Fri night games as the visiting team. Both have balked at being the home team.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Remember when you could get two tickets to a Meat Chicken game when you bought some Coke. Didn’t even have to be case.

I ‘member.

Reactions: rurichdog
FWIW, tOSU and PSU have each participated in multiple Th/Fri night games as the visiting team. Both have balked at being the home team.
I thought that and it’s usually early in the season right except for maybe that Black Friday game.

Reactions: Mufasa94
That's fine if they don't want to play Fri night games, just don't divy the revenue from the tv rights deal that covers Fri night games to those teams.

another reason why michigan is hated. they think they are above everyone else.
Actually, they are above lots of other teams, and are way above us results-wise. Hating them for that reason is just jealousy.

Actually, they are above lots of other teams, and are way above us results-wise. Hating them for that reason is just jealousy.
Make the best and most of the situation is my attitude. Plus sometimes there can be a potential opportunity in said situations.

Reactions: mildone
I thought that and it’s usually early in the season right except for maybe that Black Friday game.
Pretty much so. tOSU had a couple opening Thursdays and some Friday. PSU had the Black Friday last year and a couple later September ones x years ago.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
No , I hate them because of exactly reasons like this ……they won’t play on Friday nights but others in the league are expected to. I get it that they are a really good program but that’s not it and it’s not jealousy. It’s any program that looks for special treatment. Not sure why you can’t understand this simple concept .

No , I hate them because of exactly reasons like this ……they won’t play on Friday nights but others in the league are expected to. I get it that they are a really good program but that’s not it and it’s not jealousy. It’s any program that looks for special treatment. Not sure why you can’t understand this simple concept .
I have the solution.

When they get issued a Friday night game.. randomly.. they pay teams to trade with them. 3 teams.. their Friday night opponent and the two on Saturday who agree to move to Friday. And it is enough money to make a Big team say yes. The money goes straight to the NIL orgs for each school.

I have the solution.

When they get issued a Friday night game.. randomly.. they pay teams to trade with them. 3 teams.. their Friday night opponent and the two on Saturday who agree to move to Friday. And it is enough money to make a Big team say yes. The money goes straight to the NIL orgs for each school.
You can make a sound argument that that’s what they are doing now, by participating in this conference where media revenue is shared equally.

You can make a sound argument that that’s what they are doing now, by participating in this conference where media revenue is shared equally.
PSU was an independent.. they had to join a conference. If Michigan was not in the Big Ten from the start, where would they be? The conference is greater than Michigan or Ohio State and it is about time they learned that. I'm sure the ACC would allow them to come in and never play on a Friday.

Reactions: RU-AGK
PSU was an independent.. they had to join a conference. If Michigan was not in the Big Ten from the start, where would they be? The conference is greater than Michigan or Ohio State and it is about time they learned that. I'm sure the ACC would allow them to come in and never play on a Friday.
Michigan and Ohio State drive the bus of this conference. The rest of us are along for the ride. That’s the way this conference works. The Big Ten is the Big Ten largely because of the success of Ohio State and Michigan, and their rivalry. Comparitively, we are woefully undercapitalized, which is why we struggle to recruit against them.

Michigan and Ohio State drive the bus of this conference. The rest of us are along for the ride. That’s the way this conference works. The Big Ten is the Big Ten largely because of the success of Ohio State and Michigan, and their rivalry. Comparitively, we are woefully undercapitalized, which is why we struggle to recruit against them.
Agree
Unfortunately, sometimes you have to kiss the ring

There are two of the bluest Blue Bloods without them, this conference would not be what it is

Therefore, whether we like it or not, they will always get preferential treatment

Agree

There are two of the bluest Blue Bloods without them, this conference would not be what it is

Therefore, whether we like it or not, they will always get preferential treatment
This isn't one of those times. This is when you have to question why they are given preferential treatment compared to every other Big Ten program. This is when you look at who in the Big Ten office makes such decisions... like the decision to kiss the ring and when you need more people in that office that says, Hey Michigan (or Ohio State) Kiss My Ass instead of me kissing your ring.

We know what this means.. this capitulation. It means that others make similar demands and those demands get granted.. more quietly.. but they get granted. Maybe Okio State also gets everything it wants. Maybe now they are collecting others into their little power-circle by granting them boons so they can all benefit and hold onto power.

When something like this becomes well-known.. root it out by making a big stink and figuring out exactly how such demands get granted... by whom.. for whom.

When PAC teams joined without having to pay their way in. it was discussed open also to why and many here did NOT complain. It's just good business. But this "no Fridays" thing? How does that serve the interests of the Big Ten as a whole?

As for Fridays... notice teh NFL had a game last night. First its Thursday college football gets taken over by the NFL. Next its Friday? Make Michigan play on Sunday if Friday is no bueno.

Also.. I wonder if Michigan once said.. NO NOON KICKOFFS!

This isn't one of those times. This is when you have to question why they are given preferential treatment compared to every other Big Ten program. This is when you look at who in the Big Ten office makes such decisions... like the decision to kiss the ring and when you need more people in that office that says, Hey Michigan (or Ohio State) Kiss My Ass instead of me kissing your ring.

We know what this means.. this capitulation. It means that others make similar demands and those demands get granted.. more quietly.. but they get granted. Maybe Okio State also gets everything it wants. Maybe now they are collecting others into their little power-circle by granting them boons so they can all benefit and hold onto power.

When something like this becomes well-known.. root it out by making a big stink and figuring out exactly how such demands get granted... by whom.. for whom.

When PAC teams joined without having to pay their way in. it was discussed open also to why and many here did NOT complain. It's just good business. But this "no Fridays" thing? How does that serve the interests of the Big Ten as a whole?

As for Fridays... notice teh NFL had a game last night. First its Thursday college football gets taken over by the NFL. Next its Friday? Make Michigan play on Sunday if Friday is no bueno.

Bc they’re Michigan
Hail to the Victors
Desmond’s Heisman pose

They bring in $$
Draw eyeballs
Are a blue blood
Just won the natty

And bc they can
I don’t get mad at this - we take care of what we need to, Wel have clout one day as well

Reactions: rutgersal
Agree

Agree with this and it is what it is and life isn’t always fair. The money split is even and thats what matters most.

The rest is minutiae you just deal with and at times can be potential opportunities.

Ann Arbor is not a small town but a New Brunswick sized city with interstates well outside downtown. Michigan Stadium is situated in a residential neighborhood on one side and the athletics part of the campus on the other. near one large city street Getting over 100K people in and out of there on a Friday evening/night compared to Saturday would be a cluster and all their traffic planning is probably based on AA on a weekend and not a Friday.

I bet the opposite, as that’s what was done for years in the B1G until everyone else got lights.

That being said, I was the first to go all Katniss and suggest we offer our services for LDW as the opener.

I’m cool with that, even if it means we play Meat Chicken in that spot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT