ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York pro basketball media

knight82

All American
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2002
Listening to the whining on the talk shows today you would think the Knicks were the only pro basketball team in New York and the Nets were from Iowa. Personally I'm a nets fan from the ABA Dr J days, not to mention the times at the RAC

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Listening to the whining on the talk shows today you would think the Knicks were the only pro basketball team in New York and the Nets were from Iowa. Personally I'm a nets fan from the ABA Dr J days, not to mention the times at the RAC
Well Dolan got the fans' and media's hopes up, with what he said in March, only to:
Not get the No. 1 pick (not Dolan's fault)
Traded Porzingis to supposedly open up enough salary cap space to land two max-salary players but didn't go hard enough to get Kyrie or KD BUT did pay a ton of Julius Randle.

I can't even say that I feel bad for Knicks fans. If there are two franchises that I enjoy seeing struggle they are the New York Knicks and the Los Angeles Lakers.

I was a huge nets fan when they were in New Jersey going back to DC, Kenny Anderson and Drazen. Being a huge Nets fan, I hated the knicks. When the nets moved to Brooklyn, it just didn’t take for me for some reason so I started following the knicks. Just didn’t really work out for me.

Reactions: koleszar
199773-004-37E4AC70.jpg

tumblr_oiv32ruCtp1u501aoo1_400.gif

Regardless of your personal fandom, Nets will always be 2nd class in NY with or without KD and Kyrie.

Well Dolan got the fans' and media's hopes up, with what he said in March, only to:
Traded Porzingis to supposedly open up enough salary cap space to land two max-salary players but didn't go hard enough to get Kyrie or KD BUT did pay a ton of Julius Randle.

I can't even say that I feel bad for Knicks fans. If there are two franchises that I enjoy seeing struggle they are the New York Knicks and the Los Angeles Lakers.

Randle's contract is only 2 years with a 3rd year team option......certainly not a superstar, but solid young player.

Nets were better positioned to take KD as they are the current better/playoff team offering better supporting cast. However, KD coming back to form after an achillies at 32 years old is still a significant risk.

For some reason, the Celtics were better without Kyrie then they were with him....plus the guy has a knee history & trouble staying on the court. This is not a slam dunk either.

IMO.....this had nothing to do with the Knicks not going "hard" after Kyrie/KD. Dolan's comments were a ruse. At the end of the day, all any team could offer was the Max and their roster. These guys made the choice and went with the surer thing.

Reactions: 80yrdPacheco

They traded Porzingis because of his character, health, and willingness to resign with NYK. It seems like Knicks can not win in the yes of the media (not like they deserve it) because if they sign an aging superstar with major injury concerns or go after a guy like kemba the haters would say "There goes the Knicks again paying for all these old stars."But now, they accumulate assets and retain there cap flexibility it's "There goes the Knicks not getting any stars."

They traded Porzingis because of his character, health, and willingness to resign with NYK. It seems like Knicks can not win in the yes of the media (not like they deserve it) because if they sign an aging superstar with major injury concerns or go after a guy like kemba the haters would say "There goes the Knicks again paying for all these old stars."But now, they accumulate assets and retain there cap flexibility it's "There goes the Knicks not getting any stars."
Unfortunately, KP's relationship soured too much with the front office to be repaired. I agree that I don't think he would have re-signed and they needed to get something for him.

Kyrie ruined the Celtics and Durant is gonna be in his 30s coming off a torn achellis at 7ft with those string bean legs. Wouldn't be surprised if he reinjured or just was never the same player. Nets might end up regretting these moves in the long run even though they seem great now

[poop] Dolan [poop]

Knicks hope now is to wait for 2021 FA class which they are set up to be players in and hope RJ becomes a superstar. Knox is still 19. Robinson DSJ Trier Randle all young.

Reactions: ScarletR30
What is attendance like at Knicks’ games these days? I’m guessing it’s a reasonably priced outing for foreign tourists in NYC who might not know that MSG’s day as a Mecca are long gone. Their highlight might be seeing Spike Lee sitting courtside.

To people that still think it is 1973 or 1994, sure.

Has nothing to do with on the court performance or championships. Nets were an ABA franchise that moved around in its early years and only came to Brooklyn in 2012 after being in NJ for 35 years with a fairly small to moderate fanbase even with success in the early 2000's.

They are at a significant disadvantage of sharing a city with a franchise that has been around since the inception of the NBA and has an extremely loyal fanbase in spite of ownership/management ineptitude over decades. It will take Golden State like sustained success/championships to make a significant dent in NY.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Nets are only getting 2 yrs of a healthy KD and 4 yrs of Kyrie. If the Lakers get Khawi, I don’t ever have to worry about the Nets winning a championship. Knicks need to build thru the draft and then strike.

The Knicks have two pieces. Mitch Robinson and now RJ. They could add two other quality starter, they'd be a mid tier East Playoff team...like the Celtics are now. That would be something to build on. Danny Green would be a nice add if he'll come...maybe Jamychael Green from LA, but not if they want max long term contracts.
Knox, Trier, Frank are not guys that help you get to a higher level.

The Nets are making their own mark in NYC, but let the Knicks start winning and it will be Brooklyn and LI that will be where the most of their fan base comes from.
But the Brooklyn Nets won't be the little brother type the Clippers are to the Lakers.
Brooklyn has made itself an equal with the NYC media, something the LA Clippers has failed to do.

The Nets are making their own mark in NYC, but let the Knicks start winning and it will be Brooklyn and LI that will be where the most of their fan base comes from.
But the Brooklyn Nets won't be the little brother type the Clippers are to the Lakers.
Brooklyn has made itself an equal with the NYC media, something the LA Clippers has failed to do.

Lol

Nope

They don’t win. That’s why people rip them. They suck.

Reactions: gringo
Oh they'll have fans alright. The same people that became die hard warriors fans as soon as they became a dynasty.

Every team in the NBA would have gladly signed KD and Kyrie including the Knicks. They didn't sign with the Knicks because they want to play there. So Dolan comes out and says they were doing their "due diligence", like every other team wasn't concerned. Dolan's statement is pure unadulterated horseshit that was his attempt to try to save face that he struck out.

Fact is the Knicks are a highly unattractive franchise with no winning tradition, and also quite frankly the Nets have eaten their lunch for the better parts of 2 decades

You get till 9 AM to take back your last sentence.

:):):)

Reactions: Russ Wood
Every team in the NBA would have gladly signed KD and Kyrie including the Knicks. They didn't sign with the Knicks because they want to play there. So Dolan comes out and says they were doing their "due diligence", like every other team wasn't concerned. Dolan's statement is pure unadulterated horseshit that was his attempt to try to save face that he struck out.

Fact is the Knicks are a highly unattractive franchise with no winning tradition, and also quite frankly the Nets have eaten their lunch for the better parts of 2 decades
In what way?
It can't be fan support.
It can't be media coverage
I do agree with you the Knicks are unattractive because they are leaderless and clueless, but even with all of that, the Nets have struggled to grab a large share of the NYC market. The Nets have to win multiple championships to make a dent in this town.

The Knicks are a joke. If the Nets make a run (and I think they probably will not), it will be amazing how quickly a huge part of NYC all of a sudden becomes Nets fans. See, e.g. NY Mets circa 1969.
Two different times and different situations. The Mets filled a void created by the departure of two established NYC national league teams in the Dodgers and Giants. Some fans would never cheer for the Yankees no matter what. They were National leaguers for life. The Mets filled that void. Although they were losing from the beginning, the win in '69 was shocking when you consider the previous years. People love Cinderella stories. The Nets, on the other hand, have been around 50 years and haven't won an NBA championship. Plus, they are attempting to buy a championship with hired guns. Fans don't switch team like that anymore. The climate created these days are all about extremes.

In what way?
It can't be fan support.
It can't be media coverage
I do agree with you the Knicks are unattractive because they are leaderless and clueless, but even with all of that, the Nets have struggled to grab a large share of the NYC market. The Nets have to win multiple championships to make a dent in this town.

on the court (and in the front office)

Fan support, Nets will never be as popular as the Knicks. Jets will never be as popular as the Giants, Mets will never be as popular as the Knicks, etc. No one is ever going to claim otherwise. However the name of the game is winning. Nets have done it more than the Knicks and its about to become even more skewed in their favor.

MADHAT1 said:
Brooklyn has made itself an equal with the NYC media, something the LA Clippers has failed to do
You get till 9 AM to take back your last sentence.

:):):)
[roll][thumb2]

on the court (and in the front office)

Fan support, Nets will never be as popular as the Knicks. Jets will never be as popular as the Giants, Mets will never be as popular as the Knicks, etc. No one is ever going to claim otherwise. However the name of the game is winning. Nets have done it more than the Knicks and its about to become even more skewed in their favor.

This really is a terrible take. It's pretty much been a race to the bottom between these two franchises over the past decade. Results on the court are meaningless without rings or at least deep pl layoff runs over a sustained period. I guess you also forgot the Billy King Nets front office..... LOL.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
The Clippers made a better haul than the Nets last night
Time will tell.
The Clippers gave up a bunch to get Paul George, but without PG Kawhi might not have come. Making the trade a good one for them.
PG does come with a ? about his shoulder, but
that's a problem that shouldn't be a concern when the season begins.George had surgery on his right shoulder to repair a partial tendon tear and also had surgery to address a small labrum tear in his left shoulder . But it's reported that those surgeries were successful and problems should be resolved bring him to 100% by start of season.

PG & Leonard might make the Clippers more than the Lakers little brother.
But the Lakers have owned LA for so long and get the PR coverage for every move they make and fail to do, that it will be hard for the LAC to make LA area pro NBA fans think them as equals . But having these two on the team will help them do it.

The NYC media is impressed with what the Nets pulled off, but the proof of the pudding will probably be when Durant comes back and if he's the same.
How Irving runs the team this year will show if the Nets have made the better move ( based on the thought Duran will be 100% and not lost a step next season) , DeAndre Jordan being added might just prove to be the kicker in Brooklyn's favor when comparing who did the best between them and the Clippers.

This really is a terrible take. It's pretty much been a race to the bottom between these two franchises over the past decade. Results on the court are meaningless without rings or at least deep pl layoff runs over a sustained period. I guess you also forgot the Billy King Nets front office..... LOL.

If you want to count the last 4 years fine. But this century is 20 years old . Knicks have been completely irrelevant during that span and Nets have not. Nets hold a sizable head to head advantage and swept the Knicks out of one their rare playoff appearances.

If you want to count the last 4 years fine. But this century is 20 years old . Knicks have been completely irrelevant during that span and Nets have not. Nets hold a sizable head to head advantage and swept the Knicks out of one their rare playoff appearances.

Keep digging. Why not go back 30 years, 40 years 50 years? No one (except for you) cares what happened 15-20 years ago especially when the team was still in NJ at that time. You talk about relevance as if the Nets mediocre (at best) results have translated into anything. They have not with the lowest attendance in the NBA. The Knicks have sucked and the Nets were slightly better...whoop di do...bow go and brag about the participation trophy you got in TBall, because that's what your argument basically seems like.

Two different times and different situations. The Mets filled a void created by the departure of two established NYC national league teams in the Dodgers and Giants. Some fans would never cheer for the Yankees no matter what. They were National leaguers for life. The Mets filled that void. Although they were losing from the beginning, the win in '69 was shocking when you consider the previous years. People love Cinderella stories. The Nets, on the other hand, have been around 50 years and haven't won an NBA championship. Plus, they are attempting to buy a championship with hired guns. Fans don't switch team like that anymore. The climate created these days are all about extremes.
I think those are some fair points, doug. But I'm not saying that fans will switch from the Knicks to the Nets, although some probably will. I'm saying they will come out of the woodwork and all of a sudden be Nets fans, the same way we became the flavor of the month in 2006. Those additional people didn't start coming to RU games instead of going to see Princeton; they came instead of watching games on TV.

NY/NJ fans are incredible front runners. If the Nets threaten to be good (and again, I think they made a really dumb set of moves here and will not threaten), the fans will be there. Although their attendance was near the bottom of the league, they were about 85% filled every night, especially after they turned around a horrible beginning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT