ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Yankees 2022-2023 Off Season Thread

fUG8Iqb.png

21.7 million for 2023 and a vested option the next season with a 6 million dollar buy out.

21.7 million for 2023 and a vested option the next season with a 6 million dollar buy out.
Fire Cashman
Fire Boone
Fire All Analytics people

Get rid of:
Hicks
Donaldson
IKF
Stanton (wishful thinking)
Torres
Anyone that strikes out too much, except for Judge

Obviously, sign Judge
Bring up kids to play
Too many holes to fill to cite at this time

Fire Cashman
Fire Boone
Fire All Analytics people

Get rid of:
Hicks (wishful thinking)
Donaldson (wishful thinking)
IKF
Stanton (wishful thinking)
Torres
Anyone that strikes out too much, except for Judge

Obviously, sign Judge
Bring up kids to play
Too many holes to fill to cite at this time
FIFY

Easy to cut Hicks. Gotta have to eat a lot of Donaldson's salary, but it's worth it.
If someone took on Sanchez, then someone will take on Hicks with the Yanks eating a lot of salary. I don't know how they get rid of Donaldson. Maybe a trade deadline deal as a bat off the bench?

Not knowing all of the guys that are or not on contracts- besides Judge- who are your big off season decisions?

Donaldson has value. He's a former MVP, an excellent fielder and I'm sure his batting will improve in New surroundings. Getting rid of his salary and Hicks' will be Cashman's 2nd highest priority. They'll want that money to pay Judge and, of course, to open roster spots for the Oswalds. IKF back to 3rd and possibly trade deadline capital. Hope for Benintendi to be gone because if he's not it's because Judge is.

If they sign Judge I doubt they make any other big moves. It will be interesting to see if Boone is retained after not using Holmes in ALDS game 3 and guys contradicting his excuse.

If someone took on Sanchez, then someone will take on Hicks with the Yanks eating a lot of salary. I don't know how they get rid of Donaldson. Maybe a trade deadline deal as a bat off the bench?
Just cut his ass. Addition by subtraction.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Donaldson has value. He's a former MVP, an excellent fielder and I'm sure his batting will improve in New surroundings. Getting rid of his salary and Hicks' will be Cashman's 2nd highest priority. They'll want that money to pay Judge and, of course, to open roster spots for the Oswalds. IKF back to 3rd and possibly trade deadline capital. Hope for Benintendi to be gone because if he's not it's because Judge is.

If they sign Judge I doubt they make any other big moves. It will be interesting to see if Boone is retained after not using Holmes in ALDS game 3 and guys contradicting his excuse.
Hopefully Cashman's first priority will be..............finding a new job!

Hopefully Cashman's first priority will be..............finding a new job!
My buddy's hoping for the same thing. Never going to happen. Hal isn't George. Hell, George would have fired Cash along with Girardi. They made the playoffs and had five home games where they players don't get paid and Hal could charge a premium at the turnstiles. From his perspective, this season was a great success. If they happen to win a WS one of these years, so much the better, but that's just gravy to him.

Yanks got Donaldson partly for getting rid of Sanchez. In total, looks more like the Twins may have gotten the better of the deal also getting Urshela for sending IKF.

Actually, I'm starting to get concerned that the Yanks won't resign Judge.

• Love
Reactions: RUfinally2008
Actually, I'm starting to get concerned that the Yanks won't resign Judge.
We should resign him, but let's be honest, he's a symptom of the Yanks broader problem - players that perform worse in the playoffs versus regular season. This is Cashman's big issue that he needs to correct or get fired. He believes that the analytics of the regular season will hold in the post season. This is painfully untrue. Players perform differently in the big moments.....some better, most worse.

Cashman builds for the regular season with high K and HR hitters, who are most likely the shrink in the playoffs under the big lights going against top pitchers. We had these big moment players in the late 90s/early 00s, just like Houston has now.

This is the difference. This is what needs to change.

We should resign him, but let's be honest, he's a symptom of the Yanks broader problem - players that perform worse in the playoffs versus regular season. This is Cashman's big issue that he needs to correct or get fired. He believes that the analytics of the regular season will hold in the post season. This is painfully untrue. Players perform differently in the big moments.....some better, most worse.

Cashman builds for the regular season with high K and HR hitters, who are most likely the shrink in the playoffs under the big lights going against top pitchers. We had these big moment players in the late 90s/early 00s, just like Houston has now.

This is the difference. This is what needs to change.
I think Judge's playoff problem has less to do with him and more to do with the rest of the team. Yankees were missing two on base guys this playoffs in DJ and Benedetti. And I hate the batting 1st or 2nd for Judge, even though he did it most of the year.
But if it had been something more like Benedetti/DJ/Judge/Rizzo/Stanton- I think his performance would have been much better.
I do think Bader is going to be a lot of fun to watch next year.

By the way, up 2-0 with a lead off double by Falifa and no attempt to have your 9th hitter bunt him to 3rd with the top of the order coming up is a fire-able offense imo
More proof that Cashman's analytical approach needs to be dumped. This goes or Cashman himself goes.

I think Judge's playoff problem has less to do with him and more to do with the rest of the team. Yankees were missing two on base guys this playoffs in DJ and Benedetti. And I hate the batting 1st or 2nd for Judge, even though he did it most of the year.
But if it had been something more like Benedetti/DJ/Judge/Rizzo/Stanton- I think his performance would have been much better.
I do think Bader is going to be a lot of fun to watch next year.
I'm not convinced Judge even wants to return considering the lineup is a hot mess otherwise. Why be the lone threat and get pitched around every time up, especially if Rizzo and Benintendi walk?

Donaldson doesn't have value at $26 million remaining. Who cares he WAS a MVP. That was 7 years ago!! He will be 37 next season. Look at all his seasons after that. One good one and the rest was garbage for what he is getting paid. Terrible acquisition.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Donaldson doesn't have value at $26 million remaining. Who cares he WAS a MVP. That was 7 years ago!! He will be 37 next season. Look at all his seasons after that. One good one and the rest was garbage for what he is getting paid. Terrible acquisition.
+1
Gotta dump Donaldson and Hicks at any cost. They can't be still on the team next year.

LeMehieu and Benedetti would have filled the massive holes at 3b and left field
This. While the result against the Astros may not have been different, these two players tend to put the bat on the ball, and make the lineup better.

To me it’s a real shame to see a young talented switch hitting kid like Cabrera go AB after AB with no awareness of where the barrel of his bat is.
It’s obvious he’s being taught leverage, launch angle, separation and bat speed only.
His results against the top starters of ANY rotation will continue to be strikeouts as long as approach to hitting remains the same.
That kid should be hitting every pitch he sees in batting practice on the ground or head high line drives to the opposite field.

Let's see how the Phillies do against those Astro starters.
IMO the Yankees problem was that Houston's #2 starter was better than their Hall-Of-Fame #1 starter. And their #3 starter was better than their #2.
The Yanks needed to pitch shutout baseball to stand a chance.

To me it’s a real shame to see a young talented switch hitting kid like Cabrera go AB after AB with no awareness of where the barrel of his bat is.
It’s obvious he’s being taught leverage, launch angle, separation and bat speed only.
His results against the top starters of ANY rotation will continue to be strikeouts as long as approach to hitting remains the same.
That kid should be hitting every pitch he sees in batting practice on the ground or head high line drives to the opposite field.
This is one of the biggest reasons they have to get rid of Cashman. The entire organization is teaching power first. So they draft a great prospect and ruin them.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
This is one of the biggest reasons they have to get rid of Cashman. The entire organization is teaching power first. So they draft a great prospect and ruin them.
They built an entire stadium built for power! I hope you're right, but I feel like even if Cashman goes, they'll still go after power first. We need more a balanced approach with some speed and baseball IQ while we're at it.

They built an entire stadium built for power! I hope you're right, but I feel like even if Cashman goes, they'll still go after power first. We need more a balanced approach with some speed and baseball IQ while we're at it.
The old stadium was built for power as well, but that didn't stop Stick and Watson from building a non-HR first dynasty.

Reactions: Rhuarc and WhiteBus
The problem is they teach it to everyone. You don't need an entire lineup of home run hitters. Strikeouts are not the same as any other out. Put the ball in play, crazy things can happen as we have already seen in many playoff games. Yes they need a more balanced lineup.

The problem is they teach it to everyone. You don't need an entire lineup of home run hitters. Strikeouts are not the same as any other out. Put the ball in play, crazy things can happen as we have already seen in many playoff games. Yes they need a more balanced lineup.
Exactly- imagine the Yankee lineup if it also had players like Bogarts, Devers, Freeman, Abreu, McNeil, Turner etc...

It seems to me that the rule change requiring two players on either side of second base with the feet on the 'grass'. would dictate trying to drive the ball rather than trying to lift it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT