ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Newark Airport Train

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Have you used it, and how was it?

Looking to go from Metropark for a longer trip of about 2 weeks. Schedule seems convenient, and a lot cheaper than parking at airport.

Any issues, complaints or advice regarding using the Air Train?

If you live down the shore, Your best bet is to Uber to Long Branch Station, or one of the other stations on the North Jersey Coast Line. Then take the North Jersey Coast Line to Newark Airport Station, where you can catch Airtrain which will take you to your terminal. Airtrain is fantastic and efficient. If you’re closer to Metropark, Uber to Metropark. From there you can take NJ Transits Northeast Corridor Line or Amtrak to Newark Airport Station. Lastly, it might be easiest to just take Uber to the airport, so you might want to check that out

Last edited:
Meh. This is more of a Shelbyville thing.
tumblr_inline_ov1us2SPvX1tg5wat_640.jpg

I take it from Red Bank. Very easy. The only negative might be the schedule, and how frequently they run (NJT). AirTrain runs every couple of minutes.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Only negative is depending on the time, the monorail can get pretty crowded if you have big bags (which you probably will for a 2 week trip). Monorail is only a few cars (maybe 4). Just plan to be early and you will be fine.

Been flying into EWR from RDU for years every fall to attend an RU game, taking the EWR airport monorail from the terminal to the NJ Transit train station (a very short ride) then catching a train to New Brunswick and walking to the Hyatt. Easy. Convenient. Quick. Inexpensive. Trains seem to run every 15 minutes or so.

I do it regularly. Easy peasy. When you buy your train ticket (I recommend using the NJT app), a ticket to/from the airport station includes the fare for the monorail. You'll have to scan your ticket again at the turnstile at the airport station to get to the monorail.

Used it on occasion when I lived in Red Bank. Super convenient when the schedule aligns. I had an issue on a return trip that brought my flight into EWR after many of the trains were running and had to arrange for alternate transportation. From that point on I used train for departing flight and used car service/uber for return flight.

I know this is a train thread but I have no issue using EZ Way parking. Been using for better part of 10 years (specifically when traveling with family).

Looking to go from Metropark for a longer trip of about 2 weeks. Schedule seems convenient, and a lot cheaper than parking at airport.

Just normal inefficient NJ public transportation. Driving and parking is much easier. Don't overthink this.

Just normal inefficient NJ public transportation. Driving and parking is much easier. Don't overthink this.
I'm going to guess you never used the service, and this is just you being you. But I appreciate your not following the original post looking for feed from people who have used the service, all of those above giving it positive reviews. If I have misunderstood you, please post details on what you did not like about the airport train.

Thanks.

I have used it going to airport . No problems . It’s a monorail , quick ride from the NJ transit station .
But if you’re already at metropark , I would just Uber . Probably just a little more in cost and way more convenient and comfortable. That’s a quick uber ride parkway to 78 from there.

One EWR Parking comment / PSA... if you're parking on site at EWR, book online and prepay in advance and you save significantly. The daily lot I usually park in for quick business trips is $70 per day at the gate. If you book in advance and prepay (48 hours early) it's $44 per day. They have prepay option for all the area parking lots and it's significantly less.

I use it to get to the airport from Fair Lawn. If I am arriving later in the evening or departing early mornings I don't take it, otherwise I do. Good service.

Fair Lawn --> Secaucus --> Airport usually about 35 minutes then transfer to the monorail.

I've taken the train many times when my dad was no longer up to driving to/from the airport. The cost of taking the train from Metropark to EWR is much lower than Uber. Most of the day, there are trains leaving Metropark that will stop at the Newark airport rail station every 20-30 minutes. One way fare for anyone 12 and up is $14.50. Children four and under are free, kids 5-11 pay half price (normal fare $11 one way) when riding with another paying passenger. The monorail was never crowded in my experience if you are flying midday. I see Metropark charges $12 per day for parking and you can stay up to 21 days.

So for a 14 day trip: parking at Metropark = $12 * 14 = 168. Two one-way tickets for the train = $29. Total cost $197. If you park at EWR, that's $44 * 14 = $616. I'd take the train and save over $400.

Uber to/from the airport is likely cheaper than the total cost including parking, if you must leave a car at Metropark.

parents use it all the time on the northeast corridor line. cheaper than paying for parking, and since they travel light, really easy to manage.

Everything about flying sucks.Getting to airport, the flight, getting home,etc. Nothing ever got better over 50 years; actually it all got more intolerable every year. Me , if you have enough $ to go away for 2 weeks, have a service get you there and be there waiting at baggage claim to get you back home. That's probably the most pleasant thing you'll do traveling.

Everything about flying sucks.Getting to airport, the flight, getting home,etc. Nothing ever got better over 50 years; actually it all got more intolerable every year. Me , if you have enough $ to go away for 2 weeks, have a service get you there and be there waiting at baggage claim to get you back home. That's probably the most pleasant thing you'll do traveling.
except when car service is late. or doesn't show up. or you pay for baggage claim pickup and the guy tries to save on parking and tells you to meet him curbside on the 3rd floor where drop offs happen. or the guy drives like he's on a cannonball run and you white knuckle the whole ride.

i've used car service for years...the experience isn't always amazing.

I've taken the train many times when my dad was no longer up to driving to/from the airport. The cost of taking the train from Metropark to EWR is much lower than Uber. Most of the day, there are trains leaving Metropark that will stop at the Newark airport rail station every 20-30 minutes. One way fare for anyone 12 and up is $14.50. Children four and under are free, kids 5-11 pay half price (normal fare $11 one way) when riding with another paying passenger. The monorail was never crowded in my experience if you are flying midday. I see Metropark charges $12 per day for parking and you can stay up to 21 days.

So for a 14 day trip: parking at Metropark = $12 * 14 = 168. Two one-way tickets for the train = $29. Total cost $197. If you park at EWR, that's $44 * 14 = $616. I'd take the train and save over $400.

Uber to/from the airport is likely cheaper than the total cost including parking, if you must leave a car at Metropark.

Except last trip I took, 4 days, the return got me back to EWR at 10:45 PM on a Sunday. How often do the trains run off peak? But definitely book in advance, which saved me considerable money.

except when car service is late. or doesn't show up. or you pay for baggage claim pickup and the guy tries to save on parking and tells you to meet him curbside on the 3rd floor where drop offs happen. * Or the guy drives like he's on a cannonball run and you white knuckle the whole ride.

I've used car service for years...the experience isn't always amazing.
I guess it depends on who you hire? 🤷‍♂️

* First time I went to Ireland way back when Aer Lingus only flew out of JFK at the time. My friend offered to drive me from Monmouth County. It was just like that. And we weren't even late. LOL

I've done it a bunch of times and it's actually my preferred way to get to/from EWR. Never had any issues doing it. Only consideration is, if departing/arriving very early or late, you'll want to check the train schedule. I had to sit around a little waiting on a train once or twice, but was no big deal and didn't bother me.

Remember to hold onto your NJ Transit train ticket since it'll also be your monorail ticket as well. The conductor won't take it from you and replace it, like they usually do.

NJ transit to the Newark AIRPORT station. Not Newark Penn which is downtown and a different stop completely.

Newark Airport station you get off and walk to the AirTran (monorail) which runs like every 5 mins and takes you to all 3 terminals you get off wherever you’re headed.

NJT trains rarely have delays or anything, so if you plan your trip right you’ll be fine. They pretty much arrive 1 minute earlier than the schedule says so don’t push it. They get delayed for crazy things like trees falling, track work, etc. but not like an every-day delay because of traffic or anything, they’re pretty on-time

I'm the guy who did the JFK run in less than 12 parsecs.
Mine used the gas station on the Belt as another lane.

Remember that scene in “Planes Trains and Automobiles”…

tumblr_inline_mmpx04iRV01qz4rgp.gif

I’m Steve Martin.

Except last trip I took, 4 days, the return got me back to EWR at 10:45 PM on a Sunday. How often do the trains run off peak? But definitely book in advance, which saved me considerable money.
It is definitely less convenient on a late night and would be slower than parking at the airport. Monorail to the EWR station, then wait for the train, 23 minute ride to Metropark (in this example), then get the car, pay, and drive home.

EWR Rail station to Metropark schedule for this coming Sunday shows trains scheduled to depart EWR rail station at 9:22 PM, 9:38 PM, 10:10 PM, 10:38 PM, 11:18 PM, 11:38 PM, 12:38 PM, and 1:46 AM. Roughly two trains an hour at night until you get past that 11:38 PM scheduled time.

https://www.njtransit.com/train-to?...destination=Metropark Station&date=09/25/2022

I've done it a bunch of times and it's actually my preferred way to get to/from EWR. Never had any issues doing it. Only consideration is, if departing/arriving very early or late, you'll want to check the train schedule. I had to sit around a little waiting on a train once or twice, but was no big deal and didn't bother me.

Remember to hold onto your NJ Transit train ticket since it'll also be your monorail ticket as well. The conductor won't take it from you and replace it, like they usually do.
We use electronic tickets on the NJT app. I assume they will work.

Dumb question- do you never go outside once you are on the train?
In other words, when you exit the Newark Airport Station- do you wait in the same vestibule/station for the monorail, or do you have to walk outside a bit to get to the monorail.

For the monorail, does it drop you off just outside the gate for terminal C? Is it less of a walk from the monorail drop off point than where you get dropped at the curb by a car service or a parking lot van?

except when car service is late. or doesn't show up. or you pay for baggage claim pickup and the guy tries to save on parking and tells you to me curbside on the 3rd floor where drop offs happen. or the guy drives like he's on a cannonball run and you white knuckle the whole ride.

i've used car service for years...the experience isn't always amazing.
Never had that experience .I guess you get what you pay for-- your service is probably more like a glorified Uber-- not a limo type guy-- more like the car services in queens/ inner city-- we use a guy we've used for years

I'm going to guess you never used the service, and this is just you being you. But I appreciate your not following the original post looking for feed from people who have used the service, all of those above giving it positive reviews. If I have misunderstood you, please post details on what you did not like about the airport train.

Thanks.
Yup, took it twice for work and with several colleagues, it was a waste of time. Stopped using it. NJT is the first problem. Light schedule during non-rush hours, not all trains stop at the EWR platform, frequent delays. Air Train is slow and has a bunch of stops. Getting to T-C is okay, but getting to T-A may take 20-30 mins in total. Also, it's a hassle to lug your bags around to the train, off the train, on the platform, on the Air Train, etc.

Time is money. Time is valuable. You can never get it back. No thanks. Don't be a cheapsake.....drive.

Never had that experience .I guess you get what you pay for-- your service is probably more like a glorified Uber-- not a limo type guy-- more like the car services in queens/ inner city-- we use a guy we've used for years
I've used both FlyteTime and A-1 Limo extensively.

I've used both FlyteTime and A-1 Limo extensively.
Used to use Empire for work, but rather have total control of my time so I only drive to EWR. However, pre-COVID, I always took a service to Metropark for the Acela. Trying to find parking in that deck blows. Never parking problems at EWR.

Used to use Empire for work, but rather have total control of my time so I only drive to EWR. However, pre-COVID, I always took a service to Metropark for the Acela. Trying to find parking in that deck blows. Never parking problems at EWR.
i never tried to park at metropark. wife would just drop me off at metropark to take the acela on her way to work.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT