ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NFC East

newell138

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Ocean City NJ via South Brunswick and Denville
Is back up for grabs after the Cowboys choke and Nick Foles steps off the bench for a huge upset win. As much as I hate the Eagles, I have to say Foles is quickly becoming the man. I don't think anyone saw either of these results coming over the weekend.

The division is weak but I would not call it up for grabs. The Cowboys are a flawed team for sure but still the prohibitive favorite to win the division despite the no show in Indy yesterday.

Down here in the DMV on the Deadskins radio station (980) they are down right giddy about beating Jax yesterday and figuring how they make the play-offs at 9-7. Pathetic.

Giants 2019 1st, 2020 2nd for Wentz?

When do the Wentz rumors start?
To Jacksonville?
To Miami?

The downside of the Cowboys making the playoffs is an extension for Jason Garrett. Not that I really would count on Jerry Jones making a great hire, but for the long term, I don't think Jason is the answer. Not even sure about Dak Prescott getting a long term contract for big money either.

Giants 2019 1st, 2020 2nd for Wentz?

When do the Wentz rumors start?
To Jacksonville?
To Miami?
I think I read that Foles is owed $20M next year if he’s on the roster, so he’s either starting and Wentz is gone or being traded/cut.

The cowboys choked because I picked dak Prescott as my fantasy fb QB. As I giants fan I knew this would happen, so I take the credit. Can still win with a good day from Kamara so all is not lost.

Dallas plays the Bucs and the Giants to close the year and only needs to win one, meanwhile philly still needs to win out. Neither will do anything in the playoffs but Dallas is definitely winning the division. Quite honestly after getting swept by Dallas in the regular season philly doesn’t deserve to win the east

Reactions: brgRC90
Is back up for grabs after the Cowboys choke and Nick Foles steps off the bench for a huge upset win. As much as I hate the Eagles, I have to say Foles is quickly becoming the man. I don't think anyone saw either of these results coming over the weekend.

Very, very surprising even for us "fans".

The NFC East should be demoted to college football and the SEC brought up to the NFC.

Reactions: brgRC90
I think I read that Foles is owed $20M next year if he’s on the roster, so he’s either starting and Wentz is gone or being traded/cut.

Deets on Foles contract. Making some incentives but that number look real high. More like 5 or 6 after a quick perusal.

But if Tripod Nick wants to start he's leaving unless he's happy playing 3 games a year for $5M.

That would hurt. LOL.

I don't think Dak is that bad. He's like Danny White without the punting.

He's in that tough "not great" talent slot for QBs. Not bad enough to move on from and not Brady/Peyton/Montana/Foles great.

Like the Eagles and Cunningham and McNabb.
Danny W without the punting-good one.

Dak makes way too many mistakes and kills us with inconsistent passing accuracy. For every big-time play he can make he'll blow or miss 2 or 3 others like holding the ball too long in the pocket or not seeing wide-open receivers down the field. I don't understand why they can't call more roll-out plays to take advantage of his strong running ability. He might be better-than-average if he were effective as a rollout QB. I can't watch him dropping back in the pocket on 3rd down plays anymore.

I remember when the NFC East was always the toughest division in football instead of frequently among the weakest. To be fair though, the last Superbowl winner was an NFC East team.

That would hurt. LOL.

I don't think Dak is that bad. He's like Danny White without the punting.

He's in that tough "not great" talent slot for QBs. Not bad enough to move on from and not Brady/Peyton/Montana/Foles great.

Like the Eagles and Cunningham and McNabb.

No one saw me sneak Foles in there? LOLOL

Dallas plays the Bucs and the Giants to close the year and only needs to win one, meanwhile philly still needs to win out. Neither will do anything in the playoffs but Dallas is definitely winning the division. Quite honestly after getting swept by Dallas in the regular season philly doesn’t deserve to win the east
The team that wins the NFC East, deserves to win the NFC East. The NFL tiebreakers usually do a good job sorting things out anyway.

Danny W without the punting-good one.

Dak makes way too many mistakes and kills us with inconsistent passing accuracy. For every big-time play he can make he'll blow or miss 2 or 3 others like holding the ball too long in the pocket or not seeing wide-open receivers down the field. I don't understand why they can't call more roll-out plays to take advantage of his strong running ability. He might be better-than-average if he were effective as a rollout QB. I can't watch him dropping back in the pocket on 3rd down plays anymore.

I agree with most of this. I am OK with Dak on his rookie contract but now having to pay him a big contract is scary given the points you note above. The problem with going all out on his rushing abilities is that the back up is Cooper Rush!

With regard to Danny White, I think he had a better cast around him than Dak. Danny was good but could never win the big game. Of course, following after the greatest Cowboy QB of all time was tough.

Eagles have only themselves to blame. Even with all the injuries, the losses to Tampa, Tennessee and Carolina were inexcuseable. Plus the home loss to Dallas. Losing all four of those games put them where they are.

Wentz will be fine after an offseason to recover further. Giants fans should not get their hopes up.

I don't think Wentz is all that great. He's got a track record of being injury-prone, if I recall in college too, and Phillys offense has been noticeably worse since the departure of Frank Reich (who has Colts looking fantastic). Could be the rust as Wentz knee injury often takes a year to get fully back, but certainly not looking like Watson in Houston...

Reactions: T2Kplus10
I don't think Wentz is all that great. He's got a track record of being injury-prone, if I recall in college too, and Phillys offense has been noticeably worse since the departure of Frank Reich (who has Colts looking fantastic). Could be the rust as Wentz knee injury often takes a year to get fully back, but certainly not looking like Watson in Houston...

Not all that great? As a second year player, Wentz was favorite to win league MVP last year had he not been injured against the Rams in game 13.

You're right though about this year's Eagles...the reasons are plentiful including coaching losses.

Wentz will recover only to get injured again within a season. His aggressive style will make him injury prone.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Wentz gets locked on Ertz too much.

He's still young though. He'll learn.

I mean, if this is how he is in his first two years...

Not all that great? As a second year player, Wentz was favorite to win league MVP last year had he not been injured against the Rams in game 13.

You're right though about this year's Eagles...the reasons are plentiful including coaching losses.
Yeah, I know that. I also know coaching and coordinating has far more of an impact on QB performance than people like to recognize.

I think the Eagles have been playing the wrong QB this season.

Reactions: tico brown
A team with a starting QB who couldn't get off the bench for the Sacramento Mountain Lions of the now defunct UFL is currently sitting 1-game out of first place (with a 48% statistical chance of winning the division)........ tells me all i need to know about my once beloved NFC east......

it's a giant crap-hole of suck..........

Wentz gets locked on Ertz too much.

He's still young though. He'll learn.

I mean, if this is how he is in his first two years...

Yes and No - I think they really have zero run threat to offset the passing game and keep the Pass D honest. I also don't think they have any receivers that can get open regularly except for Ertz - JMO.

Foles seems to have a little more of a gutsy receiver choice - he'll throw more at a guy that might not be open. Wentz always has Ertz open - always throws to Ertz. Seems Wentz has been injured all year and maybe that affected his strategy for targeting receivers. Hope so because he wasn't throwing to the other guys this year. Agolahr (sp?) has gotten fewer targets this year and I don't think he got worse from last year.

Interesting to see how Wentz progresses. He and Dak on the Cowboys seem to have a lot in common with the ups and downs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT