ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NFL QBs of 1961

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
Found this video which profiles the 1961 NFL quarterbacks. For you old timers freeze the video when they first show the picture and see how many you can identify. Nearly half the group are Hall of Famers but honestly three of them I had never heard their names before.

YA Tittle looks like he’s 60, Fran Tarkenton looks 16.
Man, Johnny U and Bart Starr numbers were not good by today”s standard. Bart threw 16 tds and 16 interceptions. Johnny U numbers were 15 tds and 24 interceptions .

Man, Johnny U and Bart Starr numbers were not good by today”s standard. Bart threw 16 tds and 16 interceptions. Johnny U numbers were 15 tds and 24 interceptions .
It was a different game back then. QBs threw the ball down the field. No dumpoffs or checkdowns. Plus DBs were allowed to compete, which they no longer are.

Reactions: MADHAT1 and Kbee3
Back then the pro offenses were considered the domain of the real athletes, and defenses were made-up of goons, bouncers, farm hands etc. Pre-merger football is invisible to me. The early football age belonged to colleges. College champs from 40-60s are more interesting than old NFL title holders imo. I know who YA title was but dont care to know anything else. Network TV made NFL. Baseball was a perfect radio game and was the more interesting sport along with CFB prior to NFL merger.

Reactions: Mike from MD
Back then the pro offenses were considered the domain of the real athletes, and defenses were made-up of goons, bouncers, farm hands etc. Pre-merger football is invisible to me. The early football age belonged to colleges. College champs from 40-60s are more interesting than old NFL title holders imo. I know who YA title was but dont care to know anything else. Network TV made NFL. Baseball was a perfect radio game and was the more interesting sport along with CFB prior to NFL merger.

I'd say the Giants - Colts game in 1958 began the transition. It's not as black and white as you suggest. By the late 60's, still pre-merger, the transition was complete.

Norm Snead. That's a name that I haven't heard in a while. Was Giants QB when I became old enough to understand and start watching the game. Got his autograph along with a few other Giants at a car dealership.

I recognize, Starr, Unitis, Tarkington, Tittle, Sonny Jurgenson, John Brody, Don Meredith, Bobby Lane, Billy Wade, Eddie LeBaron, Milt Plum, & I believe Earl Morrell Not sure on #'s 15 & 72. Tobin Rote could be in there. Think Billy Kilmer may be #15. How did I do?

Reactions: zappaa and MADHAT1
Fran was phenomenal. At one point, he had almost every record. Played for the Vikings and Giants. Little trivia, former Vikings quarterback Gary Cuozzo , from Glen Ridge,became a dentist at The Shore and I believe one of his sons took over the practice.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
I'd say the Giants - Colts game in 1958 began the transition. It's not as black and white as you suggest. By the late 60's, still pre-merger, the transition was complete.

It’s been said by many old timers on NFL Films the Giants were the first ones to do this.

Fran was phenomenal. At one point, he had almost every record. Played for the Vikings and Giants. Little trivia, former Vikings quarterback Gary Cuozzo , from Glen Ridge,became a dentist at The Shore and I believe one of his sons took over the practice.
You are correct.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
I'd say the Giants - Colts game in 1958 began the transition.
Probably - I've heard that a lot
I just never cared
It was before my time and I'm glad I missed it
Not that the current NFL is that great

I just never cared
Bill Pellington went undrafted from Rutgers and was then cut by the Cleveland Browns before making the Baltimore Colts for his entire career from 1953-1964. He was the defensive captain of the 1958 NFL Champion Baltimore Colts when they defeated the New York Giants 23-17 in the first sudden death NFL Championship game (“Ameche scores!”) on December 28, 1958.

The famed overtime Colts victory over the Giants, a televised battle that was a cornerstone to the NFL’s future popularity. Pellington and Gino Marchetti were named player-coaches on January 8, 1963 by new coach Don Shula.

Reactions: WhiteBus
2 names that come to mind are Jack Kemp and Babe Parilli
The other one that came to mind was George Blanda.
Houston Oilers-Blanda
San Diego Chargers-Kemp
NY Titans-Al Dorow
Dallas Texans-Cotton Davidson
Oakland Raiders-Tom Flores
Denver Broncos-Frank Tripucka
Boston Patriots-Parilli
Buffalo Bills-Johnny Green

Reactions: beaced
The other one that came to mind was George Blanda.
Houston Oilers-Blanda
San Diego Chargers-Kemp
NY Titans-Al Dorow
Dallas Texans-Cotton Davidson
Oakland Raiders-Tom Flores
Denver Broncos-Frank Tripucka
Boston Patriots-Parilli
Buffalo Bills-Johnny Green Quote I think that Tripucka was from Bloomfield H.S.

Was familiar with all but 2: Sam Etchevarry and Jim Ninowski.

Would be fun to see the AFL's starting QBs that year.
Knew of Etchaverria & Ninowski, but believe they were the only ones I couldn't identify.

Last edited:
I just never cared
The 70's, 80's and early 90's were the best. Defenses could actually play defense. The running game was huge. When a penalty was called it was very obvious. No 5 min replay to decide if the catch was completed. Games under 3 hours.
People that love today's NFL are either Madden game players or fantasy football junkies. Wouldn't know a good game from a bad game nor do they care.

Reactions: knightfan7
Yup but not in person.

Saw YA and Snead at Yankee Stadium
Johnny U at Memorial Stadium in Balt
Sonny at Franklin Field in Philly
The big green field and the Giants in Blue, how exciting.
Ron Johnson going for a 1000 yards with Tucker Frederickson at fullback and Homer Jones going deep

Ron Johnson going for a 1000 yards with Tucker Frederickson at fullback and Homer Jones going deep
I believe I was 16 when I convinced my parents to let me go to Baltimore to see the Colts and my hero Johnny U play. Wrote to the Colts and got a ticket. Wanted Green Bay but got the Rams. Bus to Penn Station, train to Baltimore, and bus to stadium. Colts had a 7pt lead late and were running out the clock when Johnny U decides to pass. Interception. Rams drive down the field and score the tying TD late. No OT back then so that was that.

Last edited:
The 60's were good football. Brown, Taylor, Hornung, Crowe, Unitas et al. Hard nosed. Not to mention all the great guys on D. Tackling & Blocking. Tape & blood on the hands, mud & green on the uniforms. Great stuff.

Ron Johnson going for 1000 yards with Tucker Frederickson at fullback and Homer Jones going deep
My Dad and his season ticket group told me a story about him doing a Bavaro-esque move where he carried a bunch of guys into the endzone at Yankee Stadium. They were so exited in what they had until the injury bug got him.

My Dad and his season ticket group told me a story about him doing a Bavaro-esque move where he carried a bunch of guys into the endzone at Yankee Stadium. They were so exited in what they had until the injury bug got him.

What kind of career would Frederickson have had if there was arthroscopic surgery back then?

Reactions: colbert17
What kind of career would Frederickson have had if there was arthroscopic surgery back then?
Or Gale Sayers too.

As a much younger guy never so all the fuss on him until I saw some of the NFL Film footage. Kansas Comet indeed. 😲

Reactions: mdk01
I was not born yet but thanks to player cards being closeups I knew more than half of these guys. Tark and Snead both played later on for my Giants. Tark went back to the Vikings and made the Super Bowl with the Purple People Eaters. Snead also played for my Giants. I never knew Sonny played for the Iggles until now but I could tell that was him. YA played forever and as a kid who could forget his last name. Starr and Johnny U are obvious. Brodie was another guy I remember watching a lot early 70’s if not late 60’s. Dandy Don I remember from MNF more than as a player but think he was the QB the North DAllas 40 was written about. Loved that movie.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT