ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Devils 2023-2024 Thread

Anyone still doubting this team??

Great win. Physical game. Knocked bedard out. Let’s gooooo!!
If the goalies can come around (I'd say tonight was "mixed" from Vitek) this team will be as dangerous as anyone.

The emergence of McLeod is something. He's become a dominant player.

Reactions: thegock
If goalies can come around (I'd say tonight was "mixed" from Vitek) this team will be as dangerous as anyone.

The emergence of McLeod is something. He's become a dominant player.

That’s why it’s been absolutely mind boggling people calling this bad team. We just need consistent godltending and maybe a top defender and this team is dangerous “.

Reactions: goru1869
That’s why it’s been absolutely mind boggling people calling this bad team. We just need consistent godltending and maybe a top defender and this team is dangerous “.
All about the goal tending(and playing more soundly in front of the goalies).

Acquiring a top defender is just not realistic, nor necessary imo.

Reactions: mikemarc1
All about the goal tending(and playing more soundly in front of the goalies).

Acquiring a top defender is just not realistic, nor necessary imo.

The way they’ve been playing…totally agree. Let’s keep rolling as is. Hopefully Dawes gives us a spark in net and Vitek comes around.

Reactions: RU-05
My wife, son and I will be there tomorrow night for round 2 of the Hughes bowl. MUST WIN THIS GAME. Enough with not winning the 2nd game of a back to back.

Reactions: RU-05 and mikemarc1
Team defense has been a little better which def helps out the goalie situation . Nemec is is playing great for a 19 year old . Some timely saves and better team defense makes such a huge difference

Reactions: RU-05 and goru1869
Pat Verbeek is looking for MORE than the Sharks got for Timo Meier in a trade for Gibson. They want a young star they can build around, plus other assets. This is probably why McLeod's name was floated because he is a step down from their ask.

With this in mind, there is chatter that Fitz is talking to Calgary about Noah Hanifan, and quite possibly J. Marksstrome ( G ). Option 2 now might be the goalie in San Jose not named Blackwood.

Mercer and Schmid need new contracts this year. Luke Hughes and Nemec need them next year. Anyway you slice it, the Devils are going to have to make room under the cap, so expect some cost cutting somewhere! Right now a good GM could clear his cap space enough to offer sheet someone like Dawson Mercer, and Fitz would have to let him walk.
Wrong and even more wrong . Mercer is RFa with no arbitration rights after this year . Luke has one more year on rookie deal after this season then he’s an RFA with no arbitration rights . Nemec has 2 more years rookie deal with no arb rights . Schmid is RFA and is arb eligible but has no leg to stand on after his performance this year . With 4 mill cap increase this offseason corys buyout off the cap the devils are looking at 20 million in cap space with 16 of 23 spots filled for next season . They are in excellent shape going forward .

Pat Verbeek is looking for MORE than the Sharks got for Timo Meier in a trade for Gibson. They want a young star they can build around, plus other assets. This is probably why McLeod's name was floated because he is a step down from their ask.

With this in mind, there is chatter that Fitz is talking to Calgary about Noah Hanifan, and quite possibly J. Marksstrome ( G ). Option 2 now might be the goalie in San Jose not named Blackwood.

Mercer and Schmid need new contracts this year. Luke Hughes and Nemec need them next year. Anyway you slice it, the Devils are going to have to make room under the cap, so expect some cost cutting somewhere! Right now a good GM could clear his cap space enough to offer sheet someone like Dawson Mercer, and Fitz would have to let him walk.
Verbeek can look all he wants. But he aint getting close to the return he got for Meier.

Gibson is 30 years old, and hasn’t had a good statistical season in about 5 years.

How is Jack Hughes? Read he hurt his wrist late in game as he fell awkwardly.

Verbeek can look all he wants. But he aint getting close to the return he got for Meier.

Gibson is 30 years old, and hasn’t had a good statistical season in about 5 years.
I agree, I also think this explains the report we have been discussing.

Wrong and even more wrong . Mercer is RFa with no arbitration rights after this year . Luke has one more year on rookie deal after this season then he’s an RFA with no arbitration rights . Nemec has 2 more years rookie deal with no arb rights . Schmid is RFA and is arb eligible but has no leg to stand on after his performance this year . With 4 mill cap increase this offseason corys buyout off the cap the devils are looking at 20 million in cap space with 16 of 23 spots filled for next season . They are in excellent shape going forward .
Not wrong at all. At a certain point you run out of money.

This thread sucks lately, so goodbye! A bunch of want to be know it all's who are cocksure but way off base.

I was there last night up in the 200s - fun times, wish the beers were cheaper, but they gave 💯 effort. Wasn’t just McLoud hitting guys. They’ll have nothing left in the tank tonight , wish they had a day to rest. Especially with Jack out injured

Reactions: TM94goRU
Come on bro , stick around. You’re a key contributor here.

Don’t be like that snowflake Ronnie
Sorry I plan to read only. I'm tired of just negative quotes, with nothing positive when it is me who often breaks news here or as I did last night explains why I feel a story broke.

I'm certainly not out of the woods yet, and I can't keep doing anything that causes my blood pressure to go up. If you quote me, I will respond. However after the crap year I've had, and with my current situation, I have to play it safe.

Sadly Smith broke Benard's jaw last night. I loved the old time hockey! I hope the team sees they do have it in themselves to play tough. I hope we start winning the 2nd half of back-to-backs tonight.

Sorry I plan to read only. I'm tired of just negative quotes, with nothing positive when it is me who often breaks news here or as I did last night explains why I feel a story broke.

I'm certainly not out of the woods yet, and I can't keep doing anything that causes my blood pressure to go up. If you quote me, I will respond. However after the crap year I've had, and with my current situation, I have to play it safe.

Sadly Smith broke Benard's jaw last night. I loved the old time hockey! I hope the team sees they do have it in themselves to play tough. I hope we start winning the 2nd half of back-to-backs tonight.
Odds are stacked against NJD tonight with a well rested Canucks squad and Jack Hughes likely out. Would be a big upset if they can claw out even a point

Odds are stacked against NJD tonight with a well rested Canucks squad and Jack Hughes likely out. Would be a big upset if they can claw out even a point
Yes it will be tough, but the Devils need it. Even without Jack and Timo, there is more than enough firepower. Vancouver is also a physical team, so I have concerns, but they have lost too many winnable home games already. So let's see Daws backstop a big win. All while Tyler, Jasper, and say Luke have big games for a WIN. Enjoy the game!

I'm not one who typically complains about bad officiating.

But you could not miss a more obvious call in a more crucial(regular season) situation. Literally.

That said, thought the team looked tired early, and played as if they all agreed they were tired. But then found some energy with the first Miller goal.

Really liked the push, but the Garland goal at the end of the 2nd period can not happen.

Got some days off, get some rest, hopefully get some guys back.

Reactions: goru1869
Oh yeah, forgot about Sieg's leaving the game. So what do we do?

Misyul is in Utica, he could be a guy we call up.

We also could just put Smith in that spot, though we would need a 7th d-man, and if a young guy is called up I'd rather the young guy play instead of sitting as the 7th. So we would need a vet of sorts to sit in that spot if Smith filling in for Sieg's is the plan.

One concern I have in playing yet another young guy is the possibility of subjecting Daws to tons of pressure. Subjecting rookie goalies to tons of pressure at the NHL level is not the best course for development.

Dougie and Siegenthaler out fir the season.

Best player Jack has a bum shoulder , Timo hasn’t been healthy since we acquired him. Palat reoccurring groin issue. A 2nd and 3rd string goalie. Too much to overcome this season.

Next 3 road games you can pencil in Ls
They barely beat Chicago at home

Was looking at Markstrom, similar problem as Gibson, that being multiple years left at $6mil per.

Not as many years as Gibson(2 after this, vs 3 for Gibson), but Markstrom turns 34 later this month.

Currently playing to a .908, as opposed .892 last year. So good this year, not so much last year.

If we were looking to trade for Markstrom, if Calgary is hoping for any sort of return via prospects and picks, they'd have to take Vitek and retain salary.

Geez louis.

I see this as more an indictment on social media, but not a good look for Devils fans.

Though i should note i didn’t read the article nor the tweets.
How is it not a good look on Devils fans?

An extremely small amount of people apparently DM’d her.

It’s not hockey talk, KnightShit thinks they use a ball in hockey. He’s not a hockey fan , just a yenta

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT