ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Devils 2023-2024 Thread

In the NHL today despite Hamilton's defensive issues, he is considered a top defenseman. Why? Simply because the offense he produces is enough for his defensive lapses to be overlooked.

Just think of the Norris Trophy. The award is almost always given to the top offensive defenseman of the year. This is how Karlson won it with a big - in the plus minus recently. As well as why Scott Stevens was not a perennial finalist.

Reactions: Devilsfan118
In the NHL today despite Hamilton's defensive issues, he is considered a top defenseman. Why? Simply because the offense he produces is enough for his defensive lapses to be overlooked.

Just think of the Norris Trophy. The award is almost always given to the top offensive defenseman of the year. This is how Karlson won it with a big - in the plus minus recently. As well as why Scott Stevens was not a perennial finalist.
Norris trophy my ass. He stinks. All around lousy on defense. That's why the position is called defenseman. What he brings on the PP in no way outweighs his miserable defense. Besides he gets caught up ice on the PP giving up shorty chances.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Norris trophy my ass. He stinks. All around lousy on defense. That's why the position is called defenseman. What he brings on the PP in no way outweighs his miserable defense. Besides he gets caught up ice on the PP giving up shorty chances.
My point is they covet scoring above everything else. Hamilton's value is in the power play. He is good at offense. I bought up Erik Karlson because when he last won the Norris he was around -54 on the plus minus.

I think the NHL should have another reward named after Kenny D. or Scott Stevens, or possibly for the Cup Champs Florida Panthers original great defensive defenseman Ed Jovanoski a defensive defenseman reward like the Selke is for the forwards.

I don't think your thoughts are far off at all. No I believe the NHL has their priorities misplaced. Like most, maybe all, pro leagues they want scoring.

Reactions: Devilsfan118
My point is they covet scoring above everything else. Hamilton's value is in the power play. He is good at offense. I bought up Erik Karlson because when he last won the Norris he was around -54 on the plus minus.

I think the NHL should have another reward named after Kenny D. or Scott Stevens, or possibly for the Cup Champs Florida Panthers original great defensive defenseman Ed Jovanoski a defensive defenseman reward like the Selke is for the forwards.

I don't think your thoughts are far off at all. No I believe the NHL has their priorities misplaced. Like most, maybe all, pro leagues they want scoring.
I never thought of that. They have an award for the best defensive fwd but the best defensive defenseman really has no shot at a major award. That’s pretty funny.

I understand your points about the Norris but this isn't about the Norris, it's about Hamilton as a defenseman & he stinks period. I rest my case on all the points previously posted.

• Wow
I never thought of that. They have an award for the best defensive fwd but the best defensive defenseman really has no shot at a major award. That’s pretty funny.
Exactly whatever they call it. I first thought of this watching Kenny and Scotty having no real shot at hardware despite being great defensemen.

I understand your points about the Norris but this isn't about the Norris, it's about Hamilton as a defenseman & he stinks period. I rest my case on all the points previously posted.
Hardcore opinion, I love it. You are probably a diehard fan, which is great in my book.

Which is ridiculous.

He is a high event player, but end of the day, the team scores goals at 5v5 much more then they allow them when he is on the ice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT