ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Devils 2023-2024 Thread

Tatar back with the Devils. Fitzy signing too many third and fourth line players..not sure what this signing does…
Brings a guy back that had terrific chemistry with Nico and scored 20 goals/28 assists for 1 year at 1.8 million . He’s shown he can play anywhere in top 9. Leaves devils 4.8 million to get Mercer done .

Reactions: TM94goRU
Tatar back with the Devils. Fitzy signing too many third and fourth line players..not sure what this signing does…
I'm very meh on the move. He was lousy in the playoffs with us, and then had a lousy season last year. And somehow he got a raise.

But whatever 1 year, 1.8, hopefully he can have a bounce back year(as he was good in the reg season in 22-23).

Tatar has chemistry with this team, and can play up and down the lineup.
Now since dreaming is free and most trade possibilities do not get discussed in real time, let me share the thought of Ace of the Runnin with the Devils Podcast. Not saying this will happen, just saying it is technically possible. Remember in '07, Detroit almost traded Pavel Datsyuk to our Devils for Scott Gomez, which came out later. Wish they had.

With Dawson Mercer still unsigned, what if Fitz is using his magic, working on a trade with Ottawa. The Sens would want to have a say in the deal, say term. This would explain no clear cut top 6 player as well as the trade with Montreal.

Forgetting the white whale, maybe Fitz is working on another trade with another team. Just a thought, because many trades take time, sometimes years of planting seeds to position yourself in the best situation. Either way you never know until you try.

Reactions: Devilsfan118
Now since dreaming is free and most trade possibilities do not get discussed in real time, let me share the thought of Ace of the Runnin with the Devils Podcast. Not saying this will happen, just saying it is technically possible. Remember in '07, Detroit almost traded Pavel Datsyuk to our Devils for Scott Gomez, which came out later. Wish they had.

With Dawson Mercer still unsigned, what if Fitz is using his magic, working on a trade with Ottawa. The Sens would want to have a say in the deal, say term. This would explain no clear cut top 6 player as well as the trade with Montreal.

Forgetting the white whale, maybe Fitz is working on another trade with another team. Just a thought, because many trades take time, sometimes years of planting seeds to position yourself in the best situation. Either way you never know until you try.
Ha, I just recently happened upon this guy, I figured you were a listener.

With the amount of bottom 6 players on the team..I’m all for using Mercer as a trade piece now.

With the amount of bottom 6 players on the team..I’m all for using Mercer as a trade piece now.
Ya penciling him into the top 6 right now is underwhelming.

He definitely could exceed my expectations though.

Let's see what this contract looks like.

Only trolling a little.

But the over the top Fitz hate after the Holtz trade, the want for Zadarov and Tkachuk, the critique's of the analytic dept. Wasn't hard to put it together.

His show seemed aight though, best one I found on youtube actually.
My thoughts are my own, unless I give credit, but yes good pick up. I also always listen to the Let's Go Devils Podcast.

The "hate" is only because I love and want to win. I leave all my post's on here, so if you or anyone wants to go back and read them, it will be found I'm mostly correct in time. In so far as what I have gotten hate for. From our long need for bigger and stronger players to help keep our skill healthy, to being maybe 1st to call for Ruff to be canned, I soured On Fitz, with his quote last year "hope and wishing" with no action til late in the year. Not to mention letting the Canucks get Zadorov for so little. However while not a Fitzgerald sycophant, I now think our main problem is worse, ownership. Every Franchise they own have the same things going on. They love analytics and think nothing of the eye test. They also don't care about winning, just franchise acquisition.

On the Brady situation to me it is kind of like a lottery, with it being fact you have to be in it to win it. Oh and then there is the Jersey Girl wife, his missing the playoffs his whole career, being ( his words) like family with the Hughes Boys, and last but not least, being Fitzy's cousin. These all are real world reasons it could happen one day IMO. Not to mention Matt's Stanley Cup win.

Lastly I don't think Ullmark will be much of a difference maker. Just look at his stats in Buffalo before he got traded to Boston. Look at who was on that team. I think his new numbers are more about being on a stacked team, and the other goalie Swayman took most of the playoff games. Plus I do not think Travis Greene is a good Head Coach.

My thoughts are my own, unless I give credit, but yes good pick up. I also always listen to the Let's Go Devils Podcast.

The "hate" is only because I love and want to win. I leave all my post's on here, so if you or anyone wants to go back and read them, it will be found I'm mostly correct in time. In so far as what I have gotten hate for. From our long need for bigger and stronger players to help keep our skill healthy, to being maybe 1st to call for Ruff to be canned, I soured On Fitz, when last year's hope and wishing with no action til late in the year. Not to mention letting the Canucks get Zadorov for so little. However while not a Fitzgerald sycophant, I now think our main problem is worse ownership. Every Franchise they own have the same things going on. They love analytics and think nothing of the eye test. They also don't care about winning, just franchise acquisition.

On the Brady situation to me it is kind of like a lottery, with it being fact you have to be in it to win it. Oh and then there is the Jersey Girl wife, his missing the playoffs his whole career, being ( his words) like family with the Hughes Boys, and last but not least, being Fitzy's cousin. These all are real world reasons it could happen one day IMO. Not to mention Matt's Stanley Cup win.

Lastly I don't think Ullmark will be much of a difference maker. Just look at his stats in Buffalo before he got traded to Boston. Look at who was on that team. I think his new numbers are more about being on a stacked team, and the other goalie Swayman took most of the playoff games. Plus I do not think Travis Greene is a good Head Coach.
Ullmark was good on Buffalo.

I also thought the Skate Down was decent. Not as good in terms of production.

But I haven't listened to much of either.

• Wow
Okay we will agree to disagree on Ullmark.
.915 and .917 his last 2 seasons there.

What he's never been though is a workhorse. Never played 40 games in a season in Buff. Better in Boston but still only a career high of 49 GP's.

.915 and .917 his last 2 seasons there.

What he's never been though is a workhorse. Never played 40 games in a season in Buff. Better in Boston but still only a career high of 49 GP's.
Exactly, the best ability is availability!

As always if time proves me wrong I will post about it and take what comes. As big as he is I just don't think he is a big game goalie.

Just saw this thought on Twitter.

Grits's KHL season ends in March and he is expected to come over at that point. Tatar is merely a placeholder till he does.

And one thought I had about this signing was "I doubt he plays in the playoffs".

Reactions: CHOPU and TM94goRU
Exactly, the best ability is availability!

As always if time proves me wrong I will post about it and take what comes. As big as he is I just don't think he is a big game goalie.
I don't have any predictions on how well he plays. But Ottawa did not trade for him, with the intent of trading Tkachuk soon after.

Now if Ullmark falls apart and Ottawa stinks, and Brady starts complaining, then the potential trade talks make sense, but not at this point.

Gusev will only be 32 on his next birthday July 8th. Could well be a PTO. He had a lot of points LY in the KHL.

I don't have any predictions on how well he plays. But Ottawa did not trade for him, with the intent of trading Tkachuk soon after.

Now if Ullmark falls apart and Ottawa stinks, and Brady starts complaining, then the potential trade talks make sense, but not at this point.
Agreed but I hope Fitz is already planting seeds. The wife is pregnant for the first time. As well as older brother is now a champion. In my mind these factors could move up Brady's timeline.

That is all I'm saying. If or when he does I want the Devils to be first in line.

Plus who was Hamilton's d-pair in Carolina? That is right the new Devil Brett Pesce. His signing will come to be loved by fans. Not as physical as I would have liked personally, he is a very good 2-way defenseman.

I loved the idea of the Goose but he's about as tissue-soft as you can get. I don't think he fits Fitz's mold here anymore.
You very well might be right. That said no quality team has all players cut from the same cloth. With the moves made since Friday, I think we now have enough power and toughness to shield the greatly skilled but small and weak team members. Although for these fleas, I would require them to start a remedial weight training program.

Plus who was Hamilton's d-pair in Carolina? That is right the new Devil Brett Pesce. His signing will come to be loved by fans. Not as physical as I would have liked personally, he is a very good 2-way defenseman.
Nah. Both are righties. Slavin was Hamilton's most common partner. Pesce and Hamilton played very little together.

Dougie is a top pairing defenseman, without a doubt.

Offensively elite, defensively above-average.
Will be interesting to see the pairings. Hamilton typically doesn't get a ton of defensive assignments, but if he's with Sieg's then that leaves either Lukes' pair, or Nemec's pair getting tough minutes.

Now I do think we can see Luke and Nemec together at times, thus leaving a Dillon Pesce pair to play those difficult assignments, but I don't think we will see large stretches with the 2 young guys together. Unless they are so dang good that they can outplay their inexperience.

Nah. Both are righties. Slavin was Hamilton's most common partner. Pesce and Hamilton played very little together.
Respectfully disagree, one played his off hand, and they played together a lot.

Just like Timo played off wing most of the year.

To get Tkachuk it would be costly, probably would have to give up two of either Mercer, Casey and Grits to start. Unfortunately we don't have any 1sts until 2026 but do have 3 2nds next year.

Our cupboard is starting to get bare when it comes to tradable assets.

On the plus side of getting Brady is he still has four years left on a pretty friendly contract ($8.2M AAV), we wouldn't have to worry about an extension until 2028.

Pesce said this week that they didn’t pair together much in Carolina.

Dougie gets caught up ice a lot so Keefe should instruct his forwards to cover for him when he punches in.

-vic

Reactions: TM94goRU and RU-05
To get Tkachuk it would be costly, probably would have to give up two of either Mercer, Casey and Grits to start. Unfortunately we don't have any 1sts until 2026 but do have 3 2nds next year.

Our cupboard is starting to get bare when it comes to tradable assets.

On the plus side of getting Brady is he still has four years left on a pretty friendly contract ($8.2M AAV), we wouldn't have to worry about an extension until 2028.
I think Nemec would have to be in the deal. Plus Mercer, plus picks.

If we can make that trade without including Nemec its a pretty easy call from NJ’s perspective.

Last edited:
I think Nemec would have to be in the deal. Plus Mercer, plus picks.

If we can make that trade without the including Nemec its a pretty easy call from NJ’s perspective.

Ottawa just made a poor trade with Washington

They traded an excellent young defenseman, Chychryun for a 33 years old defenseman and a 3rd round pick.

Maybe Fitzgerald can fleece them too?

-vic

Ottawa just made a poor trade with Washington

They traded an excellent young defenseman, Chychryun for a 33 years old defenseman and a 3rd round pick.

Maybe Fitzgerald can fleece them too?

-vic
im not a big fan of chycrun as he is always hurt. But considering what they gave up to get him just last year, yeah that is a lousy trade.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT