ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Devils 2023-2024 Thread

Great game after a shaky start. This is the type of commitment the Devils need to close the now 4 point gap.

Reactions: CHOPU
Playoffs there for the taking…and laying an absolute egg against a terrible coyotes team in the 1st. Amazing. lol

Reactions: goru1869
Very disappointing start. Biggest difference Dallas is big but not physical, Arizona is not as skilled but huge and they hit you.

Analytics be damned, this Devils team needs more beef and toughness.

I've harped on this team needing more grit and toughness for a few seasons here. It is no coincidence our last back-to-back wins were Feb. 12th and 13th. For it is in the new year/ second half of the season hitting ramps up before it is a major factor in the playoffs.

I hope Fitz is seeing this and ready to act, whether it's drafting it (ala LA Kings) and/or finding trades to reshape this team into a Cup contender.

We must diversify!

I've harped on this team needing more grit and toughness for a few seasons here. It is no coincidence our last back-to-back wins were Feb. 12th and 13th. For it is in the new year/ second half of the season hitting ramps up before it is a major factor in the playoffs.

I hope Fitz is seeing this and ready to act, whether it's drafting it (ala LA Kings) and/or finding trades to reshape this team into a Cup contender.

We must diversify!
I said this offseason devs shouldve gone after some shit stirrers like garnet hathaway and max domi. Fitz leaned full in on the figure skating style of the game, not good. Heavy tough teams win in the playoffs

• Love
Reactions: TM94goRU
I said this offseason devs shouldve gone after some shit stirrers like garnet hathaway and max domi. Fitz leaned full in on the figure skating style of the game, not good. Heavy tough teams win in the playoffs
I see this as completely inaccurate. We don't skate nearly as well this year as we did last year. Losing Boqvist, Shara, and Tatar. Replacing them with lousy skaters in the ilk of Toffoli and Nosek. MacDermid in mid season. Foote was another guy who was supposed to be in the lineup this year. Another bad skater. His drafting also shows a lack of focus on speed and skating.

Wood leaving, though certainly not a figure skater, also took away from our team speed.

And like Wood, in losing McLeod, another big guy who can skate fast, we lose that combination of speed size and physicality. This is not a Fitz issue, but we've been noticeably worse since McLeod was scratched from the league.

So I agree that we need physicality, but Fitz has also steered the team away from it's strength of last year, which was team speed.

Reactions: jmc11201
I see this as completely inaccurate. We don't skate nearly as well this year as we did last year. Losing Boqvist, Shara, and Tatar. Replacing them with lousy skaters in the ilk of Toffoli and Nosek. MacDermid in mid season. Foote was another guy who was supposed to be in the lineup this year. Another bad skater. His drafting also shows a lack of focus on speed and skating.

Wood leaving, though certainly not a figure skater, also took away from our team speed.

And like Wood, in losing McLeod, another big guy who can skate fast, we lose that combination of speed size and physicality. This is not a Fitz issue, but we've been noticeably worse since McLeod was scratched from the league.

So I agree that we need physicality, but Fitz has also steered the team away from it's strength of last year, which was team speed.
Good post.

By figure skaters, I really just mean pussies. Who did the devs get this offseason that made the devs harder to play against?

The one shit stirrer they had in woody they let walk, which personally I thought was the right move due to what the avs paid him/term. But the devs are the softest team in hockey. You need guys who can both play a little and mix it up.

Hathaway- great skater, tough as nails, mixes it up.

Domi- skilled guy but also mixes it up and has position versatility. Id love to see nyr sign him in july

Bertuzzi- tough guy, some skill and heavier player

This offseason they should be targeting guys like bertuzzi, domi, zadorov, tanev, dumba

By figure skaters, I really just mean pussies. Who did the devs get this offseason that made the devs harder to play against?

The one shit stirrer they had in woody they let walk, which personally I thought was the right move due to what the avs paid him/term. But the devs are the softest team in hockey. You need guys who can both play a little and mix it up.

Hathaway- great skater, tough as nails, mixes it up.

Domi- skilled guy but also mixes it up and has position versatility. Id love to see nyr sign him in july

Bertuzzi- tough guy, some skill and heavier player

This offseason they should be targeting guys like bertuzzi, domi, zadorov, tanev, dumba
Maybe not this offseason, but Smith. Palat. Meier.

Nosek this offseason, and MacDermid in season.

So while Fitz has added some "gritty" elements, aside from Meier, not enough skating in that mix.

Toff was a goal scoring add, more so then a grit add, but again, lacking in the skating dept.

I don’t think their struggles have much to do with physicality…or skating..etc.

To me the season boiled down to Mercer not scoring, Jack being injured, two rookie defensemen not necessarily ready, terrible goaltending and terrible coaching. No sense to over analyze

I don’t think their struggles have much to do with physicality…or skating..etc.

To me the season boiled down to Mercer not scoring, Jack being injured, two rookie defensemen not necessarily ready, terrible goaltending and terrible coaching. No sense to over analyze
We've been far worse since McLeod went down. That's a key loss of skating and physicality.

And I agree there is a lot that goes into the struggles of this season, it's not just one or two things, but I wouldn't overlook a turn down in speed yoy and an overall lack of physicality.

Like most things this is a multi pronged problem. This team lacks maturity, consistent passing, and yes physicality and grit.

Look at unforced errors like some defenseman turnovers, notice it is far more prevalent against bigger, heavier, nasty teams. This often extends to passing, when it is lackluster.

There simply is no substitute for it if you want to be a Cup contender. Good news, no more excuses. Either Fitz messed up, or as I have come to fear, ownership and analytics are to blame! Either way this off-season will be very telling.

Bummer! Look at most of the goals in the playoffs, they are gritty not pretty. We need to find at least 1 forward that will be today's Dave Andreychuk. Get right in front of the net to screen the goalie and get rebounds.

On defense I'm done with finesse. We never played Neidermeyer and Rafalski together, we paired them with tough stay at home defensemen like Stevens and White. The goal where Marino got ragdolled is telling. Under powered and thus unable to defend.

Watch the playoffs, for every pretty goal scored off the rush you will see something like 10 goals scored because of grit. This is the problem with analytics, games are NOT played on paper. This team only wins if they can get running and gunning without the opponent hitting them consistently. Good teams are those that can beat you multiple ways. To be a good team, we must remake this roster to include scrappy guys and tough nasty player's as well.

Lots wrong. One thing being J Hughes insistence on trying to skate through 3 defenders & subsequently losing the puck. Slow learner seems like.

This team plays like they would rather be golfing when the playoffs start. Coach Green questions their maturity, only Jake Allen played like he cared.

The team's mix is wrong, hopefully Fitz can use his family connection to get Brady T. here. We need grit and toughness, so we are harder to play against!

14 games left in this miserable season. Here's what I'd like to see:
  • Shut Jack Hughes down - clearly fighting the shoulder to the point he cant take FOs
  • Nolan Foote should be playing every night - no reason Chris Tierney should be seeing the ice at this point
  • Santeri Hatakka should be playing every night - see above re: Brendan Smith
  • Rotate Graeme Clarke, Brian Halonen and dare I say, Chase Stillman into the lineup
  • Give Jake Allen the lion's share of the work in goal - he looks to be more than capable backup next year

Welp - make it 3-1-0 with a .946 save pct and a 1.76 GAA for Jake Allen. It's amazing how much more confidence this team plays with with actual goaltending behind them. They played a hell of a game against one of the league's best last night. The brothers, Hughes, looked the best they have in a long time. And THIS is the Timo we acquired last year. That's now 12 goals and 7 assists in his last 14 games. Anyone have an idea of what happened around that same time frame? Declarations of this guy's demise were always funny. Top 6 minutes, the correct position on the PP and a return to health have all brought the bull in his game back out. Timo will be just fine in NJ.

14 games left in this miserable season. Here's what I'd like to see:
  • Shut Jack Hughes down - clearly fighting the shoulder to the point he cant take FOs
  • Nolan Foote should be playing every night - no reason Chris Tierney should be seeing the ice at this point
  • Santeri Hatakka should be playing every night - see above re: Brendan Smith
  • Rotate Graeme Clarke, Brian Halonen and dare I say, Chase Stillman into the lineup
  • Give Jake Allen the lion's share of the work in goal - he looks to be more than capable backup next year
Nolan Foote was injured after being called up . I love Hatakkas game. He’s solid player , takes body when he can and makes good passes

Anyone else notice that Luke has been ripping shots from the point on PP. it seems like he has more of a shooters mentality when he has an open lane . Love to see it

Welp - make it 3-1-0 with a .946 save pct and a 1.76 GAA for Jake Allen. It's amazing how much more confidence this team plays with with actual goaltending behind them. They played a hell of a game against one of the league's best last night. The brothers, Hughes, looked the best they have in a long time. And THIS is the Timo we acquired last year. That's now 12 goals and 7 assists in his last 14 games. Anyone have an idea of what happened around that same time frame? Declarations of this guy's demise were always funny. Top 6 minutes, the correct position on the PP and a return to health have all brought the bull in his game back out. Timo will be just fine in NJ.
Liked the physicality of Bahl last night.

Want to see that on a more consistent basis.

A happier Jack mentioned about getting the saves, just like he had done in previous months.

I think big Bro Jack ordered Luke to unleash that great shot. Love it!

Sadly a post I made toward the end of '23 is spot on. I railed against Fitz/ownership for waiting too long to even attempt to fix our problems.

Well welcome to my hockey nightmare! While it's fitting we crap out in those dumb beer league jerseys, it is inexcusable nothing was even tried until right before the trade deadline.

I know many will not likely agree, I think diehard fans have every right to be pissed off! Whether ownership or Fitz the fact remains even casual hockey fans knew at least some of our problems, and nothing was addressed in a timely manner. For me it's simple, if a trade was made for a capable goalie, or though hopefully and, a veteran defensive defenseman, with a heavyweight like Kurtis I would not be typing this. It would be disappointing, but that's life. Sometimes the best laid plans don't work out. However for nothing to be done, at least tried is a crime. I'm not saying I think we win a Cup, but I don't think if we made it, it would be out of the question. This league is wide open this year. There are no '80's Oilers or 90's-00's Red Wings. The fact that this year was thrown away without a legitimate try sets a terrible precedent for seasons to come! All that LTIR 💰 and only a 4th round pick, owners like this don't win championships.

I always thought the Mets would cause something to happen to Frank. He’s a little fired up about the Devils right now.

Good job Timo sticking up for the Captain, Lee should be suspended for going knee on knee as that is Clearly intent to injure.

No more excuses Fitzgerald and ownership have to make the connection, Kurtis Macdermid is out and liberties are taken against one of our skilled guys. This team must get bigger and stronger! Even if we have to trade some skill away.

Hoping for a nice, uneventful third period. Let's Go Devils

Good job Timo sticking up for the Captain, Lee should be suspended for going knee on knee as that is Clearly intent to injure.

No more excuses Fitzgerald and ownership have to make the connection, Kurtis Macdermid is out and liberties are taken against one of our skilled guys. This team must get bigger and stronger! Even if we have to trade some skill away.

Hoping for a nice, uneventful third period. Let's Go Devils

Fitzgerald has built the right team. It’s our coaching…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT