ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Devils 2023-2024 Thread

Nemec as a project d man, is a narrative that should have been put to bed a week into Nemec's NHL career.

I assume you were a Shayne Wright guy?
I wasn't talking about Nemec, I hope we keep him. I was talking about ( sorry for the butchered spelling) Shakir Makhummudulin.

Reactions: RU-05
I’m fine with stock piling picks as long as each extra pick is someone 6 ft or bigger

Enough 5-8 guys

Pregame show had Hughes Holtz Nico and Bratt all walking into Arena together Looked like a youth league team

Stockpile picks only to trade them. Go through another build? No thanks.

Our teams core is set. Surround them with nhl ready guys thus summer..but more importantly a competent nhl coach..and they’re fine.

Reactions: goru1869
Devs should be sellers at the deadline.

Toffoli can likely fetch a 1st + a mid level prospect.

Brendan Smith can likely fetch a 5th.

Both on expiring deals

Disagree. Fire Ruff. Can’t go through another build. This is Fitz’s team.
Yes we disagree. I fire both, because Ruff should have been fired along time ago, but Fitz is a fanboy. Fitz failed to pull his thumb out of his butt and didn't even try to better this team.

Curtis could have been traded for in November. He failed to get any veteran defensemen even after Hamilton's injury. Oh and yes it would have been tough because Fitz screwed up the Cap. A forward thinking GM knows who he will resign. Fitz boxed himself in a corner. An example of what he should have done is trade Bratt and the #1 for Timo. That way we would have 1 less small scoring winger making great money. Imagine if we could have brought up Nikita O. and his over 100 hits. Besides we have many more BIG contracts to do.

A good GM can multitask. Can't get a better goalie? Well we have more issues. We needed beef and grit. If Fitz had acted, maybe we have fewer injuries.

Everyone can see the growing pains of a young defense. One move for a veteran defensive defenseman might well have helped us win some of Those winnable games we threw away. Oh and they tend to not be expensive.

I don't like calling for people to get fired, but I've measured his stock and I don't think he has what it takes to maximize our potential. I didn't even mention the Elliotte Friedman piece where he proves to be a lousy negotiator.

It's great for him the owners wanted the ROCK, not a winning hockey club. They can make Bank by losing and like him, so he's safe.

Yes we disagree. I fire both, because Ruff should have been fired along time ago, but Fitz is a fanboy. Fitz failed to pull his thumb out of his butt and didn't even try to better this team.

Curtis could have been traded for in November. He failed to get any veteran defensemen even after Hamilton's injury. Oh and yes it would have been tough because Fitz screwed up the Cap. A forward thinking GM knows who he will resign. Fitz boxed himself in a corner. An example of what he should have done is trade Bratt and the #1 for Timo. That way we would have 1 less small scoring winger making great money. Imagine if we could have brought up Nikita O. and his over 100 hits. Besides we have many more BIG contracts to do.

A good GM can multitask. Can't get a better goalie? Well we have more issues. We needed beef and grit. If Fitz had acted, maybe we have fewer injuries.

Everyone can see the growing pains of a young defense. One move for a veteran defensive defenseman might well have helped us win some of Those winnable games we threw away. Oh and they tend to not be expensive.

I don't like calling for people to get fired, but I've measured his stock and I don't think he has what it takes to maximize our potential. I didn't even mention the Elliotte Friedman piece where he proves to be a lousy negotiator.

It's great for him the owners wanted the ROCK, not a winning hockey club. They can make Bank by losing and like him, so he's safe.

To say Fitz didn’t try to better this team is outlandish. His move for Toffolli in the offseason was widely praised. Yes, he didn’t get a goalie. But to say he didn’t “try to” is just inaccurate. He talked to many teams..but again, was it worth mortgaging a large part of the future???

Take it for what it’s worth..but I did hear Fitz did try to fire Lindy..but ownership said no.

So to me either means they’re gonna be cheap and finish out his contract, or wanna fire Fitz too: either is a bad move, imo.

• Wow
Reactions: TM94goRU
To say Fitz didn’t try to better this team is outlandish. His move for Toffolli in the offseason was widely praised. Yes, he didn’t get a goalie. But to say he didn’t “try to” is just inaccurate. He talked to many teams..but again, was it worth mortgaging a large part of the future???

Take it for what it’s worth..but I did hear Fitz did try to fire Lindy..but ownership said no.

So to me either means they’re gonna be cheap and finish out his contract, or wanna fire Fitz too: either is a bad move, imo.
When I wrote that I was talking in season only. In the off-season he also went after Hellebucyk. I know it's tough because of bad contracts, ex. Palat, but I expected more.

Very surprising to hear about him wanting to fire Ruff. However these owners are cheap. They care about acquisitions to their sports Empire, not winning. They only wanted the Devils for the arena. They rent in Philly, and they really don't seem to care about hockey.

Well I now expect spin and no real changes. Oh well, I hope this is the last annoying season for awhile!

Reactions: mikemarc1
I think we can all agree Lindy should be left in California. If he survives, I'd rather play with an extra attacker than tired Daws.

At least we set a record.

Reactions: mikemarc1
Without Brunette at his side (who has NSH on an 8-game winning streak with an AHL roster), Lindy Ruff has won 76 of 199 games in NJ across nearly 3 full seasons. He should have been gone in December. To fire him now is a slap in the face to the fanbase. At least he won't have to worry about sellout crowds chanting "FIRE LINDY" at home games for the rest of the year.

If Dr McMullen and Lou were running the ship, Ruff would have been axed a long time ago
You want that clueless old codger Lamoriello back? I'll swing by UBS and drive him myself. He's been handing out 7 year extensions and NMC's to any washed up 30-something that asks. I guess you guys enjoyed wandering the desert for a decade. We Islanders fans are done with the Loo experiment.

If Dr McMullen and Lou were running the ship, Ruff would have been axed a long time ago
If you haven't perused the thread, go back to yesterday. Mikemarc1 gave me some inside information that has me disheartened! Fitz appears to be the "fallguy" for bad ownership. In a reply he told me Fitz wanted to and tried to axe Ruff but Harris and Blitzer said no.

I've heard how cheap they are, but this ALL leads me to conclude these guys might waste the talent, because they truly don't care. I'm talking old Clippers style ownership. You know where the team sucks but ownership is happily making money.

After Harris bought the football team, there was a game where the teams had NO hot water after the game and had to take cold showers.

If you haven't perused the thread, go back to yesterday. Mikemarc1 gave me some inside information that has me disheartened! Fitz appears to be the "fallguy" for bad ownership. In a reply he told me Fitz wanted to and tried to axe Ruff but Harris and Blitzer said no.

I've heard how cheap they are, but this ALL leads me to conclude these guys might waste the talent, because they truly don't care. I'm talking old Clippers style ownership. You know where the team sucks but ownership is happily making money.

After Harris bought the football team, there was a game where the teams had NO hot water after the game and had to take cold showers.
Owners are cheap bastards

I believe His inside info is worthless btw

• Wow
Maybe ownership saw the abundance of recent non-renewals . Devils also have a buy back program for season ticket holders that lets you sell back unwanted game for credit towards next season tickets . I personally sold back 4 weekday games this month and I’m reading a lot of others sold back tickets after this weekends games . Still to little to late

Best of wishes to Coach Ruff. I wish we could have won him that Stanley Cup. He played/coached in some bad luck. I'm surprised they didn't wait to the off-season. I wish Kevin Dineen would have gotten the nod since he has been successful before and knows most of these players better than Green.

Best of wishes to Coach Ruff. I wish we could have won him that Stanley Cup. He played/coached in some bad luck. I'm surprised they didn't wait to the off-season. I wish Kevin Dineen would have gotten the nod since he has been successful before and knows most of these players better than Green.
How about John Madden?

Travis Green’s first practice lines:

Timo still on bad side.
Jack not at center.
Tierney on. 3rd line
Holtz still on 4th

Nemec scratched…

Terrible.

• Sad
Travis Green’s first practice lines: