ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Devils 2023-2024 Thread

Finally a game that the devils look like their old selves..and the only way you summarize it is “seasons over”.

Just think it’s silly and I think it seems like you’d rather be right about your prediction from 2 weeks into the season saying devils won’t make the playoffs..rather than be wrong and they do.

Hence why many on this thread question whether you’re truly a devils fan.

BTW I received some pushback for attacking ownership yesterday. Well I did some checking into season ticket holders that have received their invoices for next season, in this lost year where we would need to get hot to make the playoffs, Blitzer and Harris have RAISED next year prices on season tickets 10 to 20 percent! So much for oh you are WRONG, it's because of the playoffs.
Next year will be my 17th year as season ticket holder . I have 2 seats in 108 row 1. Price went up $50 each for next season . Less than 2%

Finally a game that the devils look like their old selves..and the only way you summarize it is “seasons over”.

Just think it’s silly and I think it seems like you’d rather be right about your prediction from 2 weeks into the season saying devils won’t make the playoffs..rather than be wrong and they do.

Hence why many on this thread question whether you’re truly a devils fan.
Quit clowning yourself.
You’ve been a running joke ITT all season.
Failed prediction after failed prediction is how you’re known.

The season is over , from a playoff perspective.

But you know the post wasn’t a summary since it was made well before the game concluded. Start paying attention.

Quit clowning yourself.
You’ve been a running joke ITT all season.
Failed prediction after failed prediction is how you’re known.

The season is over , from a playoff perspective.

But you know the post wasn’t a summary since it was made well before the game concluded. Start paying attention.

I don’t recall making any predictions this season.

The only “prediction” I’ve made was recently when I acknowledged I doubt they make the playoffs. Not quite sure what you’re talking about, here.

I haven't changed my mind since earlier in the season when I predicted this close to the playoffs but no cigar scenario. That said at least enjoy a 7-2 WIN.

I think Ruff has lost his fastball, and possibly the room. However I have the most ire for Tom Fitzgerald.

He has done nothing since getting that extension. While sitting on his hands, he has allowed leaks to come out that have linked us to every goalie, and quite a few defensemen.

Just like being baby blanket soft is not a way to be successful, neither is all these leaks to potential trades. Either way, you are playing yourself congratulations!

I haven't changed my mind since earlier in the season when I predicted this close to the playoffs but no cigar scenario. That said at least enjoy a 7-2 WIN.

I think Ruff has lost his fastball, and possibly the room. However I have the most ire for Tom Fitzgerald.

He has done nothing since getting that extension. While sitting on his hands, he has allowed leaks to come out that have linked us to every goalie, and quite a few defensemen.

Just like being baby blanket soft is not a way to be successful, neither is all these leaks to potential trades. Either way, you are playing yourself congratulations!

GMs cant just “make a trade” that easily. He’s been trying to. Coming from major insiders, he’s been trying to get Saros but Preds not moving on their price. He’s been talking to the flames…but their price is also just too high. Sometimes, with such young team, doing nothing is good. I totally disagree, as I’ve said often, that Fitz is an issue.

Reactions: TM94goRU
GMs cant just “make a trade” that easily. He’s been trying to. Coming from major insiders, he’s been trying to get Saros but Preds not moving on their price. He’s been talking to the flames…but their price is also just too high. Sometimes, with such young team, doing nothing is good. I totally disagree, as I’ve said often, that Fitz is an issue.
My theory of the case, look at Calgary trading Zadorov in the division, to the Canucks for a 3rd and 5th round draft pick. It stands to reason if the Devils offer one 3rd or 4th round pick, just 1 not 2, Calgary would have traded him to the Devils to keep him away from hitting their players. So I hear you, and agree to a point but there were moves to be made.

If he can't stop the leaks, say it's an owner, he needed to move earlier. The leaks makes us look more desperate. At this point, I wouldn't trade for a goalie. Even Pucks @ Pitchforks printed that in the off-season we should do better. They even wrote maybe Boston would make Swayman available. I would smartly sell but look to buy size, grit up front, and defensive defensemen.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Yes they are soft.

I’ve pointed this out for quite a while.

Remember Ronnie saying we weren’t? Lmao

I do, and BTW me too. He wanted me to come up with names of the players I would want LOL. It has been a long time since this team was tough or protected each other.

My theory of the case, look at Calgary trading Zadorov in the division, to the Canucks for a 3rd and 5th round draft pick. It stands to reason if the Devils offer one 3rd or 4th round pick, just 1 not 2, Calgary would have traded him to the Devils to keep him away from hitting their players. So I hear you, and agree to a point but there were moves to be made.

If he can't stop the leaks, say it's an owner, he needed to move earlier. The leaks makes us look more desperate. At this point, I wouldn't trade for a goalie. Even Pucks @ Pitchforks printed that in the off-season we should do better. They even wrote maybe Boston would make Swayman available. I would smartly sell but look to buy size, grit up front, and defensive defensemen.
We’ve been through this before. Why do you keep rehashing old scenarios that didn’t work . Devils didn’t have the 3.75 mill in cap space to add Zadorov at the time . Calgary didn’t want to retain any salary in the deal . Canucks had ability to take on the full contract .

• Sad
Reactions: TM94goRU
We’ve been through this before. Why do you keep rehashing old scenarios that didn’t work . Devils didn’t have the 3.75 mill in cap space to add Zadorov at the time . Calgary didn’t want to retain any salary in the deal . Canucks had ability to take on the full contract .
We disagree you do you and leave me alone.

A capable GM can free up cap space!

Reactions: RAHWAYBOB
LmaoI don’t recall making any predictions this season.

The only “prediction” I’ve made was recently when I acknowledged I doubt they make the playoffs. Not quite sure what you’re talking about, here.
Cracks Me Up Steve Harvey GIF by ABC Network

We are a 4-5 game winning streak from being on the right side of the playoff bubble.

What concerns me is the number of team in the race.

Teams that are out of it
BUF MTL OTT CBJ
ARI ANA SJ CHI

Makes it pretty tough to be a buyer when there are only 8 teams out of it

OK cap genius how would you clear 3 million in space at the drop of a dime when zadorov asked for a trade in December. I’d love to hear it
I'm busy. There are many ways, I'm not playing! BTW I've been a fan for a lot longer than you have had season tickets.

Bug me again and you will be blocked. I don't care for know-it-alls.

Not sure how true, but this is the alleged offer that Fitz turned down for Saros:

Devils get Saros (50% retained by NSH), D Alexandre Carrier

Predators get Seamus Casey, Dawson Mercer, Akira Schmid, 1st in 2024 and 2nd in 2025.

I like both Carrier and Saros..but I don’t want to move Mercer or Casey.

Devils get a 4th round pick for facilitating the CGY-DAL Tanev deal. Weird…trying to get on flames good side???

Or maybe as I’ve been saying…stockpile picks. Use for an NHL ready guy or guys to trade for this summer..

Last edited:
Not sure how true, but this is the alleged offer that Fitz turned down for Saros:

Devils get Saros (50% retained by NSH), D Alexandre Carrier

Predators get Seamus Casey, Dawson Mercer, Akira Schmid, 1st in 2024 and 2nd in 2025.

I like both Carrier and Saros..but I don’t want to move Mercer or Casey.
Rumor was carrier retained 50% not Saros .

Reactions: mikemarc1
I'm busy. There are many ways, I'm not playing! BTW I've been a fan for a lot longer than you have had season tickets.

Bug me again and you will be blocked. I don't care for know-it-alls.
There aren’t many ways to shed 3 million contract in December without giving up draft capital or prospects. Just to trade more draft capital and prospects for Zadorov for 5 months . Please make it make sense . I’m begging you . BTW my family has had season tickets since they moved to NJ and I’ve been going for 35+ years . LGD

There aren’t many ways to shed 3 million contract in December without giving up draft capital or prospects. Just to trade more draft capital and prospects for Zadorov for 5 months . Please make it make sense . I’m begging you . BTW my family has had season tickets since they moved to NJ and I’ve been going for 35+ years . LGD
Well you start by making better decisions on who you sign. With the cloud over them I save money by not resigning McLeod, and not signing Foote. In the off-season Fitzgerald needed to give himself MORE cap space. Everyone knew the deficiencies we have now, we're likely there then. So yes I think he should have traded at least 1 player he signed, to give him more cap room and get an intimidating player(s) to make us more able to take care of each other.

That is a quick cliffnotes like example. Our problem is NOT just Ruff, it is roster construction! I'm not going to envision a hypothetical trade, but for a physical presence like Zadorov there is a lot I would do to make it happen. We're almost in March, and the same issues still need to be dealt with. We still need toughness!

Fitzgerald also is responsible for a few really bad contract decisions. Of course Palat. For the term I wouldn't have signed him for more than 3.75 million per year. Not to be outdone, don't sign Jonas and Marino for so MUCH, off of 1 contract year. Tough call but in hindsight I would have traded Bratt last year before the trade deadline. He is a great talent, but with no real snarl or huge nasty player's, we needed to trade one of our fast skilled forwards. We are way too easy to play against.

Fitz picked great with the Captain and Jack, but you add in Luke, Nemec, Bratt, Mercer, Toffoli, and Holtz to name a few, and we are too small to maximize the top end talent because everyone sees you beat on the Devils and they wilt. So the way I see it once you have several really good scorers who are small and skinny, you should get size, power, and grit. The fighting/toughness is coming back to the NHL, especially in the playoffs. You need more than speed and skill. You must HAVE size, strength, and defense. Besides Nico our forwards aren't great defensively, and we don't have legitimate Pair 1 defensemen. Yes maybe Nemec and Luke in time, but not now.

Congratulations on your season tickets, I reacted to your subtle knocks. I DON'T try to bust balls of anyone else here as such I don't appreciate it. If I don't agree 99.9% of the time I leave it alone. I don't try to make an example of someone, so I can seem cool as that person gets ridiculed. I don't live where I can go anymore, but I watch them all. As important as this is to me, it's not real life, I try to have fun with it as such.

I'm sure this thread is read by more than the few that post, they may be new or casual fans. When people read posts like the one you sent me this morning, I'm sure some think forget about it, because no one wants to deal with annoyance when they are trying to have fun and will get publically called out if they don't address an aspect.

Desperate Devils?

Pierre LeBrun is reporting the Devils have informed the Flames they would be willing to take Markstrom WITHOUT any salary retention.

Reports yesterday said Calgary wanted to keep the goalie.

• Sad
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT