ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Devils 2023-2024 Thread

I think many of us and I’m included in that felt we’d be such a good puck moving team that the risk of being undersized wouldn’t be such an issue until possibly the playoffs. Bigger concern was bad goaltending and that did come home to roost. What I underestimated was how entitled some guys on this team would play and sorry to see they don’t respect the game and have tried to take the east way out. I hope this season serves as a major lesson that hard work in the gym in the off season and doing the gritty things required during a game happen next year. But I’m not sure that happens unless we get a change at head coach and someone that demands it.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Im watching…I Don’t think it’s been boring in the least. Even the broadcast crew called it “fire wagon hockey”..

You even said tb’s goalie looks like a Roy/marty hybrid. Don’t think most hockey fans would call watching Roy /‘d Marty play “f’n boring”..
Devils sleepwalk through afternoon nap

• Sad
Anyone paying attention knew this Devils team needed some changes early on. In no particular order on ice we needed, a quality goalie, some tough veteran defensemen, bigger defensive forwards, and a HC that does NOT run a country club atmosphere.

Poor management has done NOTHING and thrown away a whole year. To make matters WORSE, this young team has developed traits that stop capable teams of ever winning anything meaningful!

Look at today's game, I would have thought the tired team would be Tampa. After all they are the veteran team, on the road, where many players have already won Cup's. We got to see a lifeless, tired, and slow Devils team that showed they want to play golf when the playoffs begin. The Devils managed just 7 hits ALL game. Routinely failed to backcheck or win puck battles. Tampa turned up the physicality and the Devils wilted.

I have already posted where I would start, bye Fitz and Ruff. However there is more to do.

1) think critically, and don't just do the expected. Everyone knows Toffoli is most likely our best trade bait. I like him, and would like him back in the off-season, if possible. I would also trade some of the other usual suspects like Smith for picks or size.

However look deeper. Seamus Casey is a top prospect, but built like Will Butcher, too small IMO. Trade him while his value is high. Now we have too many smaller scoring forwards who are streaky. I say pick at least one, say Bratt because Nico and Jack I can't even see, AND GET a legitimate A+ haul for him. This is the only way to reconfigure the organization! Get rid of smaller finesse players.

2) Since our cap is better after this year, Trade Palat to a play-off team that would want his clutch veteran leadership. The right team who hasn't won in awhile, maybe even NYR should make it worth it because I would retain 50% of the contract to get the value. Palat hasn't fit in, and isn't any different than others if we can't get to the playoffs. Trade any player who looks like they are not consistently playing hard, on the coach's film.

3) Lastly I'm not sure we have a young future stud goalie in the organization. Even if we trade for Saros, the Devils must find a young goalie to takeover after Saros if I'm correct, like I sadly believe.

Anyone paying attention knew this Devils team needed some changes early on. In no particular order on ice we needed, a quality goalie, some tough veteran defensemen, bigger defensive forwards, and a HC that does NOT run a country club atmosphere.

Poor management has done NOTHING and thrown away a whole year. To make matters WORSE, this young team has developed traits that stop capable teams of ever winning anything meaningful!

Look at today's game, I would have thought the tired team would be Tampa. After all they are the veteran team, on the road, where many players have already won Cup's. We got to see a lifeless, tired, and slow Devils team that showed they want to play golf when the playoffs begin. The Devils managed just 7 hits ALL game. Routinely failed to backcheck or win puck battles. Tampa turned up the physicality and the Devils wilted.

I have already posted where I would start, bye Fitz and Ruff. However there is more to do.

1) think critically, and don't just do the expected. Everyone knows Toffoli is most likely our best trade bait. I like him, and would like him back in the off-season, if possible. I would also trade some of the other usual suspects like Smith for picks or size.

However look deeper. Seamus Casey is a top prospect, but built like Will Butcher, too small IMO. Trade him while his value is high. Now we have too many smaller scoring forwards who are streaky. I say pick at least one, say Bratt because Nico and Jack I can't even see, AND GET a legitimate A+ haul for him. This is the only way to reconfigure the organization! Get rid of smaller finesse players.

2) Since our cap is better after this year, Trade Palat to a play-off team that would want his clutch veteran leadership. The right team who hasn't won in awhile, maybe even NYR should make it worth it because I would retain 50% of the contract to get the value. Palat hasn't fit in, and isn't any different than others if we can't get to the playoffs. Trade any player who looks like they are not consistently playing hard, on the coach's film.

3) Lastly I'm not sure we have a young future stud goalie in the organization. Even if we trade for Saros, the Devils must find a young goalie to takeover after Saros if I'm correct, like I sadly believe.
I hate to burst your bubble but there are these things called no movement clauses. Palat has one this year and next . Bratts kicks in next season but the devils won’t trade him anyway . They would have done so before signing him to an 8 year extension

I hate to burst your bubble but there are these things called no movement clauses. Palat has one this year and next . Bratts kicks in next season but the devils won’t trade him anyway . They would have done so before signing him to an 8 year extension
No bubble burst, the post was long enough I figured I would leave out they would have to ask him to waive it. As I mentioned, Bratt was just and example because I don't see Nico or Jack going. Sadly Timo is not in position to get max value. So yes unlikely, but needed if at all possible!

I know Fitz really painted himself in a corner with these contracts. While tough, I don't think it is beyond reason a player might be happy to be moved. After all this team doesn't even stick up for one another. I don't think they are all happy.

Now take Fitz wanting Keith's son who wanted to play in a tax free State Florida. This shows he knew this team could use size and toughness. Then he goes full in on small skill and leaves us vulnerable to any team with toughness. This is just some of the reasons why he would be out with Ruff, if it was up to me.

Oh at least 4 months too late. Unless Blitzer @ Harris demand it or else, it Will NEVER happen!

#MISMANAGEMENT 23-24

As the old country song goes, " It's a Little Too Late, to do the Right Thing Now"

Last edited:
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Where's ownership? Oh they don't care about winning.

Question for those in the NJ area to ask yourself, Do you enjoy paying for the Washington American Football Team, Did you notice the increased prices?

It's ALL about building their sports Empire, not winning championship! Devils fans are subsidizing the Commanders nee Redskins.

Where's ownership? Oh they don't care about winning.

Question for those in the NJ area to ask yourself, Do you enjoy paying for the Washington American Football Team, Did you notice the increased prices?

It's ALL about building their sports Empire, not winning championship! Devils fans are subsidizing the Commanders nee Redskins.

Owners are cheap AF but the different teams they own do not cross reference

• Wow
Agreed! Should have had the top assistant job but Fitz went with an NYI buddy.

I will not give this ownership group any break. Besides Fitz's bromance, the other reason this year is lost are the owners.

Like boneheads thru gave extensions to the GM and HC. Well my theory of the case is they don't want to pay the current employee(s) while paying ANOTHER or others.

This isn't Van derbeek, these guys have more than enough, if it was important to them!

I'm not ever going to defend Lindy Ruff, BUT, the apathetic showing the last few games says a lot more about the team's character and leadership than it does him.

Who are the leaders on this team? I get Nico wears the C but he's doesn't scream leader. Jacks the best player obviously but he's making comments to the media not in the room?

A NYR fan gets it, more here should. Ruff needed to be fired months ago IMO, because we can't fire this team. Oh and yes there are many facets to trades, they can be complicated!

However come on. We play so heartless I wonder if the team is tanking to get rid of Lindy Ruff! I hope so, because if NOT many more changes will have to be made in the next few years.

Tough for a Devils fan since 87-88 to watch a team that allows other teams to bully them

John Madden once called Chara a “tall goofy F—k”

Of course you love players from championship teams but teams become champions because of tough guys with some skill , and big guys who could score

Stevens
Dano
Madden
Pando
Lemieux
Holik
Guerin
Rolston
McKay
Marshall
White
Rupp
Peluso

Arnott
Richer
Chambers
MacClean
Carpenter

Didn’t forget guys below ……..but we are talking about toughness and getting bullied because devils have 10 of the same player 5-8 to 5-10 , fast , highly skilled and struggling to push 175-180 soaking wet with gear on

Best Goalie ever
One of the sweetest skating D man ever
Elias
Gomez
Gionta
Sykora
Brylin

Ect ect ect

Oh and sometimes tough guys can find their game. Holik my favorite player til the Rangers came calling and McKay made themselves much more valuable, but by reputation kept teams in check.

Fitz should look for hidden gems also. Bobby Holik was a high draft choice of the Hartford Whalers. Sometimes all you need is a change of scenery.

If they don’t fire Ruff before they fly to San Jose, it tells every single Devils fan that the ownership and senior mgmt is not in this business to win. Period

I disagree. Let him get on the plane, land in San Jose and then fire him. Sometimes coaches earn the way their dismissal goes down.

• Haha
BTW I received some pushback for attacking ownership yesterday. Well I did some checking into season ticket holders that have received their invoices for next season, in this lost year where we would need to get hot to make the playoffs, Blitzer and Harris have RAISED next year prices on season tickets 10 to 20 percent! So much for oh you are WRONG, it's because of the playoffs.

BTW I received some pushback for attacking ownership yesterday. Well I did some checking into season ticket holders that have received their invoices for next season, in this lost year where we would need to get hot to make the playoffs, Blitzer and Harris have RAISED next year prices on season tickets 10 to 20 percent! So much for oh you are WRONG, it's because of the playoffs.
I’m right.

We made the playoffs last season and tickets went up

You gotta support the team, but it gets frustrating when the GM takes the year off! Fitz on a year long vacation!

Many insiders think we will need 96 points. Doable, but only if we get hot. Frank Seravelli linked the Devils to Saros tonight. However the head elf Trotz says they will not trade Saros if they are in playoff position.

Let's Go guys, bleed ALL over them, and let them know you are there.

😆 ENJOY our victory!!!

Rutgers and Mets fan

Mackenzie Blackwood

53 save shutout tonight

12 shots in first 8 mins
5 on a power play where ALL 2 mins were in sharks zone

Nice WIN! Yes there is a chance.

If Fitz can't find a goalie, how about getting Nikita O. back. We need physicality, this guy has 116 hits on the year. The Devils had only 6 hits tonight. So let's be smart, get 1 or 2 physical defensemen, and a big strong rugged forward or two.

Again no pushback after Nico gets crunch from behind. Not a good look.

Finally Timo had time on his right side and played great! I wish it was done sooner, but better late than never.

Last edited:
Reactions: goru1869
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT