ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Devils 2023-2024 Thread

Go back to last year trading Yegor for Tyler. With this paltry return Fitz traded 2 30 goal scorers for a 2nd and a 3rd round picks.

Poor Asset Management!

Lousy return AND retaining salary for the leading goal scorer on the market. We can be honest. Fitzgerald has has done a terrible job since they were eliminated last May.

• Love
Reactions: TM94goRU
Wow Fitz couldn't get Allen done months ago.

Lost year because of poor management!

Went to start watching the basketball last night on delay.
Turn on the TV and Devils game is in ESPN.
Hughes gets slashed as I’m about to start the basketball game so decide to watch the PP.

I should have stayed with the Devils game and never put on the basketball game.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
33 year old goalie with an .892 save percentage.

No we better not be done for next year.

A day as sad as a season.

Just now on NHL Network, the Devils could have had Allen in the beginning of the season for a 2nd round pick.

Add this to the reasons to fire Fitz.

Just now on NHL Network, the Devils could have had Allen in the beginning of the season for a 2nd round pick.

Add this to the reasons to fire Fitz.
1. We gave a 3rd
2. Don't think we could have imagined out goaltending would be much worse than Jake Allen
3. Montreal retains 1/2 the salary

Next year NJ can have Markstrom and Allen maybe for 8M

Last edited:
Went to start watching the basketball last night on delay.
Turn on the TV and Devils game is in ESPN.
Hughes gets slashed as I’m about to start the basketball game so decide to watch the PP.

I should have stayed with the Devils game and never put on the basketball game.
This year I have taped NJ Devils and watched RU. With the game on FS1 vs BTN it isn't possible because hockey scores are on the bottom.

The FLA loss ended it for me having to watch all NJ Devil games.

Saturday I have RU at home at 2PM and NJ Devils at 1230PM.

What makes this even more complicated is many times I can't watch the next day because I need to make daily moves in fantasy hockey and I have Bratt and Luke and need to know where I stand as to who and if I should pick up.

This year I have taped NJ Devils and watched RU. With the game on FS1 vs BTN it isn't possible because hockey scores are on the bottom.

The FLA loss ended it for me having to watch all NJ Devil games.

Saturday I have RU at home at 2PM and NJ Devils at 1230PM.

What makes this even more complicated is many times I can't watch the next day because I need to make daily moves in fantasy hockey and I have Bratt and Luke and need to know where I stand as to who and if I should pick up.
RU game is Sunday

I don't dislike the Allen deal because of the player. He's a serviceable backup next year and MTL retaining 50% will keep them from having to scrape together for a #1 next year. (I want no part of Markstrom IF there's a realistic shot at Saros or Ullmark.) The conditions are what's problematic for me. The 3rd rounder becomes a 2nd if he plays more than 10 games this year. And MTL gets another pick if he plays more than 40 next year (let's hope not). It just seems like Fitzgerald has lost the Midas touch and is getting muscled in every facet of personnel management this year.

I don't dislike the Allen deal because of the player. He's a serviceable backup next year and MTL retaining 50% will keep them from having to scrape together for a #1 next year. (I want no part of Markstrom IF there's a realistic shot at Saros or Ullmark.) The conditions are what's problematic for me. The 3rd rounder becomes a 2nd if he plays more than 10 games this year. And MTL gets another pick if he plays more than 40 next year (let's hope not). It just seems like Fitzgerald has lost the Midas touch and is getting muscled in every facet of personnel management this year.
Only condition I saw was The pick will become a second-round selection if Allen plays 40 games in the 2024-25 season.

Allen won’t be our starter next year, can almost guarantee that.
I hope you are right, but I'm worried with the analytics running the team for penny pinching billionaires.

My nightmare scenario- Allen 1A, Vanacek 1B.

We are so poorly run, I have no faith in management.

Reactions: RUfromNJ
1. We gave a 3rd
2. Don't think we could have imagined out goaltending would be much worse than Jake Allen
3. Montreal retains 1/2 the salary

Next year NJ can have Markstrom and Allen maybe for 8M
I hope so, but think the nerds will make Allen the starter and Vanacek 1 B.

This management team might just run us so far down, Jack Hughes might demand a trade.

Official team release

The conditions on the pick are as follows: if Allen plays in 40 regular-season games in the 2024-25 season and his club qualifies for the 2025 Stanley Cup Playoffs, the 2025 third-round pick becomes New Jersey’s 2025 second-round selection.

Go back to last year trading Yegor for Tyler. With this paltry return Fitz traded 2 30 goal scorers for a 2nd and a 3rd round picks.

Poor Asset Management!
are u saying we traded shara and Toffoli for a 2nd and a 3rd?

Cherry on top by Fitz. Nice to shed Vanecek, but for a goalie we recently lit up for 7 goals. 2 goalies today, it sounds like our owners have their tandem.

I wonder if we could have gotten Nikita O. back. What a disappointing day.

Basically when it's all said and done yes.

Faulty way of looking at it. They thought they had a team to make a run this year so went for it giving up a guy who stunk last year and a pick. At the time everyone said great deal what a top six.

Now forward to today and the team hasn’t played well so need to cut bait and get something before he walks for zero.

Team took a swing and missed. Better to get something than zero.

Reactions: CHOPU
With cap increase looking at 21.5 million in space with 7 roster spots to fill for next season.
Nico, Jack , bratt, timo , Palat , Haula , Holtz , bastian , lazar
Dougie , Jonas , nemec , Luke , Marino , Bahl
Jake Allen all locked in
Mercer RFA
Get a #1 goalie
a legit dman to push Bahl to #7 depth

Faulty way of looking at it. They thought they had a team to make a run this year so went for it giving up a guy who stunk last year and a pick. At the time everyone said great deal what a top six.

Now forward to today and the team hasn’t played well so need to cut bait and get something before he walks for zero.

Team took a swing and missed. Better to get something than zero.
There is nothing wrong with how I'm looking at it, why because this is the bottomline. I know what they thought, but now that it has played out this is how it is, you don't win for losing. Two players who have had 30 goal seasons for a 2nd next year, ( because their '24 2nd is MTL and will be high) and a 3rd. That is all we NOW have to show for it. Look at the percentages for either pick, drafting a 30 goal scorer with either pick is not high.

If Fitz gets his hands unstuck a couple of weeks ago and trades Tyler, we get a lot more for Toffoli. It's a massive FAIL if your not brown nosing management!

I don't really get the Allen move. The retention is a positive but I don't think his production worth the move.

The Toffoli trade is a bad job. Teams were tighter with their firsts, but he waited too long or wasn't creative enough to extract more value. Geuntzel, who is good but IMO not the second coming of Christ, fetched a second but in addition to a few really intriguing prospects.

Reactions: TM94goRU
I disagree. We had both and all we have now is a 2nd in '25 and A 3rd in '24 to show for it.

Like it or lump it, THAT'S IT!
Yegor for a 2nd and 3rd. With a year of Toffoli in the middle. No need to make it more complicated then that.

Reactions: CHOPU
I don't really get the Allen move. The retention is a positive but I don't think his production worth the move.

The Toffoli trade is a bad job. Teams were tighter with their firsts, but he waited too long or wasn't creative enough to extract more value. Geuntzel, who is good but IMO not the second coming of Christ, fetched a second but in addition to a few really intriguing prospects.
Geuntzel can skate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT