ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ's Favorite Employers Per Forbes

Worked for Price Club while in college thru the transition from PriceCostco to the final Costco.

Very good to employees in a lot of ways. Hopefully it still is. Coming in at #20 looks to be the case.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Not a surprise that Merck is the top-rated pharma/health care company. Worked there 31 years as many know and it's a very good company overall. T will be chartreuse with envy, lol. I also predict he'll post something derogatory about Merck in less than 3 hours (or slightly greater now that I've made that prediction).

Not a surprise that Merck is the top-rated pharma/health care company. Worked there 31 years as many know and it's a very good company overall. T will be chartreuse with envy, lol. I also predict he'll post something derogatory about Merck in less than 3 hours (or slightly greater now that I've made that prediction).

That list is way off, There can not be 606,000 State of NJ employees.
The fastest growing employer segments in the country are healthcare and government.
Could the 606,000 include all State college employees too?

From the May Bureau of Labor Statistics Report:

That list is way off, There can not be 606,000 State of NJ employees.
I'm thinking that may be the total number of gov't employees throughout the state based on this article from 2021.

Just hit 27 years, likely do 3 more. It’s been a great company to work for

Last edited:
Just hit 27 years, likely do 3 more. It’s been a great company to work for
Congrats and good luck as you finish up. Like any large company, especially in senior management of a 100+ person department, there were the usual politics and aversion to risk-taking, which could be annoying, but I think what the vast majority of employees really liked was the sense of camaraderie and working towards a common goal of making medicines to improve health for society.

The George Merck ethos which was drilled into every employee's head still captures that spirit: "We make medicine for the people - We try never to forget that medicine is for the people. It is not for the profits. The profits follow, and if we have remembered that, they have never failed to appear." Sure, there were a few Company missteps, like the Vioxx scandal (although it was still the best pain medication ever created, as per the huge number of docs who complained when it was taken off the market), but that ethos was invoked regularly whenever there was a question of doing the best thing for our patients and future patients.

Made a lot of great friends there (several of whom I count among my best friends and still see regularly - including at last night's Whiskey Myers/Blackberry Smoke show at the Stone Pony) and still play in the softball league and get asked to come back and DJ my old department's parties a few years after retiring. I don't miss the daily grind of work (it's a very competitive place), but I miss working with highly motivated teams to solve complex technical problems and drive important projects to fruition.

And T must be on vacation, lol.

They make Chinese food?

I love their Merck Index. Use it a ton at work for pharma patent stuff.
Loved that book since before I became an employee and one of the small perks of working there was that we always got a free copy whenever a new edition came out - great for scientific data on countless molecules. Also, love the Merck Manual (of Diagnosis and Therapy - there are now several others under the Merck Manuals umbrella).

Loved that book since before I became an employee and one of the small perks of working there was that we always got a free copy whenever a new edition came out - great for scientific data on countless molecules. Also, love the Merck Manual (of Diagnosis and Therapy - there are now several others under the Merck Manuals umbrella).
Merck Index, Hawley's Chemical Dictionary, Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, and Perry's Chemical Engineering Handbook are go to manuals in my practice. A nerd's must read list!!

Congrats and good luck as you finish up. Like any large company, especially in senior management of a 100+ person department, there were the usual politics and aversion to risk-taking, which could be annoying, but I think what the vast majority of employees really liked was the sense of camaraderie and working towards a common goal of making medicines to improve health for society.

The George Merck ethos which was drilled into every employee's head still captures that spirit: "We make medicine for the people - We try never to forget that medicine is for the people. It is not for the profits. The profits follow, and if we have remembered that, they have never failed to appear." Sure, there were a few Company missteps, like the Vioxx scandal (although it was still the best pain medication ever created, as per the huge number of docs who complained when it was taken off the market), but that ethos was invoked regularly whenever there was a question of doing the best thing for our patients and future patients.

Made a lot of great friends there (several of whom I count among my best friends and still see regularly - including at last night's Whiskey Myers/Blackberry Smoke show at the Stone Pony) and still play in the softball league and get asked to come back and DJ my old department's parties a few years after retiring. I don't miss the daily grind of work (it's a very competitive place), but I miss working with highly motivated teams to solve complex technical problems and drive important projects to fruition.

How were they live?

And as I have mentioned before, as a family with very large holdings (relatively speaking) in Merck, thank you and @newell138 both.

Reactions: RU848789

Had not realized that the Fosamax lawsuits were resolved in Merck's favor. Way back, I did some work for a generic for that drug. I left the firm, and not sure if that has gone generic (probably has by now?).

How were they live?

And as I have mentioned before, as a family with very large holdings (relatively speaking) in Merck, thank you and @newell138 both.
Both bands were tight professional bands in the best sense of bands that have been together a long time and know their craft. I didn't know the music that well for either band (my friends were bigger fans), but enjoyed both, with my lone complaint being that both bands played a few too many extended guitar solos (felt a little Spinal Tap-ish to me).

And you're welcome... :>)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT