ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Observation regarding Tattoos on College Athletes.

SantaFeScarlet

All American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
Since it's a slow time I thought I'd serve this OT topic and observation of mine to the Board.

First, let me say that getting a tattoo or a sleeve or whatever is one's personal choice. Everyone who is 18 or older can make their life choices. I am not here to defend getting or not getting tattoos.

For the purposes of full disclosure, my wife and I do not have any and our 16-year-old son does not have a desire to get one. But I have many good friends with tattoos, mostly a few, not a sleeve or anything like that.

It is interesting to see that for the Elite Educational Schools who play D1 sports… the Ivy's, Stanford, Northwestern, UCLA, Duke, Rice, etc. the vast majority of their student athletes do not have tattoos.

Again, not right or wrong, just an interesting observation.

Why is that?

I’d say your research if flawed. Tattoos are just as prominent. You watch a lot of IVY league games?
The better question is for a bunch of “poor athletes” who can’t afford to eat they sure spend a lot on ink.

Was surprised by number of tattoos at Army Navy game. Thought the services frowned on obvious tatoos

I’d say your research if flawed. Tattoos are just as prominent. You watch a lot of IVY league games?
The better question is for a bunch of “poor athletes” who can’t afford to eat they sure spend a lot on ink.

My research is not flawed....not even close. But I do agree that a bunch of “poor athletes” who can’t afford to eat they sure spend a lot on ink.

Reactions: rufamily
My research is not flawed....not even close. But I do agree that a bunch of “poor athletes” who can’t afford to eat they sure spend a lot on ink.
but it is. Look, its pretty common sense to think your average Ivy league player is less likely to have tattoos than a SEC player. I'd be willing to bet your average Ivy League student also has less tattoos than your average SEC student. However, the idea that the better the school the less likely an athlete is to have tattoos is silly.

Reactions: noble106
It's socio-economics. Most poor people get tats. Rich/wealthy people generally do not. I know that's going to upset someone and they'll bring up some outlier, but that's generally true. Rich/wealthy people in a recruiting situation care about academics, hence why their kids go to the aforementioned schools. Poor people generally think "NFL" first, hence why they go to football factories and why you see plenty of those kids with a sleeve tat by their junior year...then complain they have no money for food. It's a mindset and it's why poor people stay poor.

Hello.

tattooface.jpg

It's socio-economics. Most poor people get tats. Rich/wealthy people generally do not. I know that's going to upset someone and they'll bring up some outlier, but that's generally true. Rich/wealthy people in a recruiting situation care about academics, hence why their kids go to the aforementioned schools. Poor people generally think "NFL" first, hence why they go to football factories and why you see plenty of those kids with a sleeve tat by their junior year...then complain they have no money for food. It's a mindset and it's why poor people stay poor.

Bad choices have consequences.

Reactions: RUskoolie
Parenthetically...there’s going to be a really big bunch weird-looking old people mid century and beyond...a pair or tattooed boobs and/or pecs may look nice when you’re in your perky 20s...but come 50 and later...gravity wins!

There has really been some stupid shit posted on this Board. This has got to make the top 10! Congrats, can't wait to see the snowflakes rip you a new one. Should be great reading. Slow day.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
There has really been some stupid shit posted on this Board. This has got to make the top 10! Congrats, can't wait to see the snowflakes rip you a new one. Should be great reading. Slow day.
Is he wrong? Who is more likely to be covered it tattoos. A guy in prison or Fortune 500 employee? I say this as a person with multiple tattoos. Although none were done in prison. Lol

It's obviously because "Elite Educational Schools" are smarter and better than tattooed SEC students and since you and your family don't have tattoos you must be as well. I assume that's what you were looking for confirmation of by starting this insightful thread.

Reactions: mikeru
Ironically, I was just talking to a guy today at the gym. His entire left arm is covered with a continuous tat with the exception of his upper shoulder. There is a significant section that appears to be totally black. But, if you look closer, you can still see some outlines of what used to be there before he had it covered up. Really nice guy who is a PA at one of the hospitals. He says that nobody cares about tats in the emergency room where he works.
I am always amazed at some of the tats on girls who are really attractive. Many of them are impossible to cover up completely unless you are a muslim and nothing is showing. Have to think this may negatively impact their pool of eligible mates though.
Finally, I can remember seeing something on TV years ago with a guy who had half of his face tattooed with a spider web which went all the way down his neck. He was in the process of painfully having it laser off (in small sections since the pain is pretty bad) once he realized that nobody would hire him.

It's obviously because "Elite Educational Schools" are smarter and better than tattooed SEC students and since you and your family don't have tattoos you must be as well. I assume that's what you were looking for confirmation of by starting this insightful thread.

do you have tats?

Ironically, I was just talking to a guy today at the gym. His entire left arm is covered with a continuous tat with the exception of his upper shoulder. There is a significant section that appears to be totally black. But, if you look closer, you can still see some outlines of what used to be there before he had it covered up. Really nice guy who is a PA at one of the hospitals. He says that nobody cares about tats in the emergency room where he works.
I am always amazed at some of the tats on girls who are really attractive. Many of them are impossible to cover up completely unless you are a muslim and nothing is showing. Have to think this may negatively impact their pool of eligible mates though.
Finally, I can remember seeing something on TV years ago with a guy who had half of his face tattooed with a spider web which went all the way down his neck. He was in the process of painfully having it laser off (in small sections since the pain is pretty bad) once he realized that nobody would hire him.
My Families orthopedic surgeon played two varsity sports at an Ivy League school. Dude is covered with tattoos

Interesting take. Just don’t agree or believe this is true.

so you are saying RU needs to recruit more players with tattoos?

Yeah, because none of the tattooed players get them from friends for free or cheap.

Also, none of the detractors ate anything besides cans of beans while they had a mortgage, student loan, credit card debt. Not one fun expense during that time.

Older generations are really something. SMH.

Reactions: mikeru
Some parts true and some parts not but your post brings up a lot of interesting things.
Yes, maybe an outliner but We are considered in the wealthy class and all 4 sons are well educated, great careers and have significant tattoos. I have two myself.
Almost everyone I know in my circle and in my neighborhood, have tattoos as well. Again, affluent neighborhood.
The other interesting thing is that many of the same people I know have kids getting to HS age...And they are pushing their kids very hard to get into one of the Catholic Schools up here. And while they can afford to do so and it will give their son a head start in life, their primary reason is for sports.
It is no different then a poorer family who is "NFL" first but the rich families can have their cake and eat it too. Push football/NFL first but still end up with a great education. The poor don't have that option.

So again, on surface, skoolie is not wrong but pull back the covers and you find bot the rich and poor have dreams of pro sports above everything else.

Tattoos are very popular these days. My son on his 18th ran out and got one. Tattoos are often 'individual' expressions and the newest generations like to consider themselves unique individuals.

Did he go to Harvard?
No. "Harvard Trained".

Attended a couple weeks seminar and stick that in your elevator pitch.. "Harvard trained".

Someday the anti-tat crowd will be revealed for the anti-tat bigots and be shown for their bias crimes.

Sue them all !

Interesting take. Just don’t agree or believe this is true.
I think it is partially true.

It is a lot like the sneakers.

Don't save for important things.. like houses.

-But you can buy the identity that comes with the hottest sneakers... or designer hoodie.

-Then you can afford the luxury statement of tats... or weaves or fancy nails.

-Then maybe the hottest wheels for your little rice-burner.

-Then maybe make a statement of style with a luxury or sports car.

I'm sure its similar in poor redneck areas.

And its the same as keeping up with the Joneses.. status symbols to show where you stand among your peers.

Its like this:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT