ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2024 PGA Tour thread

Ahh, I see now, but your post was very unclear. Yes, Bryson is having a hell of a year in the ‘24 majors. No doubt about that.
And the majors are all that matters (especially since the spilt).
Best golfer = Best in the majors

Is that a negative? A lot of golfers with no majors.
Of course not. As I said already, I thought the post I was replying to was suggesting that Bryson had 3 majors down, and 1 to go (go re-read it). That’s all. Bryson is one of the best in the world right now.

Well his record in all the other majors for the last 10 years isnt great either. That being said you can steal one on The Open courses.
I see it a lot differently. If you mean he hasn't won one - yeah we all know that. Jack Nicklaus came in 2nd 19 times in a major. 19!!! And that's the GOAT. Sometimes a putt spits out or you get a bad lie or your ball misses by a foot and rolls off the green. It's golf.

Even the Masters Rory has got like 7 top 10s in the last decade. There was a graphic shown today where his final round scoring in majors since 2015 is like 20 strokes better than the next guy. 20! The problem is he is like Tiger - you never don't pay attention to him - so when he messes up it is seared into memory BECAUSE he's always a focus of a TV broadcast. How'd Koepka do this week? The same guy that said there's only a handful of people in any tournament 'mentally strong' enough to beat him? What happened to that? Scottie was terrible. 2 months ago I heard bets of him versus the field. Dustin Johnson was incredible for two years, now what's he doing? And he's an amazing talent himself. Again - it's golf.

Anyway, to me the 2022 British Open was way more "inexcusable" than today if I'm dissecting Rory. Here he's coming in down 3 and outplayed Bryson on Sunday, he just essentially blew 2 putts. 2022 him and Hovland had a 4 stroke lead, Hovland is awful, but Rory is poor himself and the Cam's pass him. Here he comes in down 3 to a player as good as Bryson on a course like this and loses by 1 - sorry I just can't be too critical of that.

I see it a lot differently. If you mean he hasn't won one - yeah we all know that. Jack Nicklaus came in 2nd 19 times in a major. 19!!! And that's the GOAT. Sometimes a putt spits out or you get a bad lie or your ball misses by a foot and rolls off the green. It's golf.

Even the Masters Rory has got like 7 top 10s in the last decade. There was a graphic shown today where his final round scoring in majors since 2015 is like 20 strokes better than the next guy. 20! The problem is he is like Tiger - you never don't pay attention to him - so when he messes up it is seared into memory BECAUSE he's always a focus of a TV broadcast. How'd Koepka do this week? The same guy that said there's only a handful of people in any tournament 'mentally strong' enough to beat him? What happened to that? Scottie was terrible. 2 months ago I heard bets of him versus the field. Dustin Johnson was incredible for two years, now what's he doing? And he's an amazing talent himself. Again - it's golf.

Anyway, to me the 2022 British Open was way more "inexcusable" than today if I'm dissecting Rory. Here he's coming in down 3 and outplayed Bryson on Sunday, he just essentially blew 2 putts. 2022 him and Hovland had a 4 stroke lead, Hovland is awful, but Rory is poor himself and the Cam's pass him. Here he comes in down 3 to a player as good as Bryson on a course like this and loses by 1 - sorry I just can't be too critical of that.
That is a lot to say that Rory chokes in a big moment. The other guys you mention haven’t done that.

And Jack is my all time favorite so I am aware of his 2nd place finishes. Ever since the Masters drive on 13 where Rory hit it to a place no one ever has, he has not been able to finish.

Last edited:

Are you really using Jack Nicklaus as an example/comparison??? The guy has 18 majors, Rory has 5. Jack has 3 PGAs. Rory has 2, after that your comparison falls off the face of the Earth. Jack has 3 Opens to 1 Rory's. Jack has 4 US Opens to Rory's 1, Jack has 6 Master's to Rory's ZERO.
How many 2nd places in Majors does Rory have? Today makes it his 2nd. Just 2.
To go 1970s old school Rory couldn't hold Jack's jock, lol.

Reactions: newell138
Are you really using Jack Nicklaus as an example/comparison??? The guy has 18 majors, Rory has 5. Jack has 3 PGAs. Rory has 2, after that your comparison falls off the face of the Earth. Jack has 3 Opens to 1 Rory's. Jack has 4 US Opens to Rory's 1, Jack has 6 Master's to Rory's ZERO.
How many 2nd places in Majors does Rory have? Today makes it his 2nd. Just 2.
To go 1970s old school Rory couldn't hold Jack's jock, lol.
The point is not Rory is anywhere in the same universe as Jack. The point is golf is golf. Things happen.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Bad look by Rory immediately leaving the premises when when Brysons putt dropped. No media, no congrats to Bryson…I think he’s been very unlikable these past 2 years..

Holy crap, Finau just got destroyed by hole 12. Hit his 2nd shot on the par 4 onto the green, but with some backspin and it spun off the green. He then, inexplicably tried to putt it up the big knob and it went too far rolling off into the bunker on the other side of the green; his bunker shot then went too far again and rolled back off the green to near where he was in two and it took him 3 more shots to get it in. Triple bogey dropped him to -1. Just brutal. Rory was almost in the same spot in 2 and he chipped to 8' and made the par putt.

Edit: Aberg just did almost the exact same thing on that hole - triple bogey.
Wow.... without this triple, Finau wins it. Shame. He's due.

Just watched on DVR. Very exciting finish. Rory’s flat stick was great until the end. BD had Lady Luck on his side. BD’s short game and putting was the difference. He really seemed to have fun with the crowd. Congrats to BD.

Just watched on DVR. Very exciting finish. Rory’s flat stick was great until the end. BD had Lady Luck on his side. BD’s short game and putting was the difference. He really seemed to have fun with the crowd. Congrats to BD.
Choking a 4-foot gimmie putt to at least force a playoff is so Rory. He and Spieth are mentally shot.

Reactions: lakejj
Choking a 4-foot gimmie putt to at least force a playoff is so Rory. He and Spieth are mentally shot.
Gimme putt at the US Open? Is that a thing? He started down 3. Give BD credit for avoiding the big number.

Gimme putt at the US Open? Is that a thing? He started down 3. Give BD credit for avoiding the big number.
It certainly fooled the color guy (was it Bones?), who said it was left edge and, even if Rory started it center cup, it would fall in on the right side. Rory actually started it outside the hole, and it still lipped out off the right edge.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtung230
It certainly fooled the color guy (was it Bones?), who said it was outside left edge and, even if Rory started it center cup, it would fall in on the right side. Rory actually started it outside the left edge, and it still lipped out off the right edge.
The two short ones he missed were both above the hole. Just to show how great BD was putting it. BD always leave his putts below the hole. Think they said he only had 1 3-putt in the tournament.

Bad look by Rory immediately leaving the premises when when Brysons putt dropped. No media, no congrats to Bryson…I think he’s been very unlikable these past 2 years..
Nobody sticks around after the final round. Keep the attention on the winner. He will be asked about it before his next tournament as they do with all runner ups. He is unlikable only in your head.

The missed 2.5' putt on 16 was a choke (first miss inside 3" in 496 attempts this year), while the missed 4' putt on 18 was not a choke - it was the result of hitting his pitch too long, above the hole and was a really hard putt. Rory also made 5-6 fairly long putts in the round for birdies/pars and they showed a stat that he had a really high number of total putt length for the round. If he had missed a couple of those and not missed the last 2 putts and shot -1 nobody would've said boo. DeChambeau also had incredible luck all round, with a boatload of missed fairways with all but maybe one leaving him with great lies. Of course, he played those shots great as well as that amazing bunker shot on 18 and several other great saves, so he gets full credit for the win.

The missed 2.5' putt on 16 was a choke (first miss inside 3" in 496 attempts this year), while the missed 4' putt on 18 was not a choke - it was the result of hitting his pitch too long, above the hole and was a really hard putt. Rory also made 5-6 fairly long putts in the round for birdies/pars and they showed a stat that he had a really high number of total putt length for the round. If he had missed a couple of those and not missed the last 2 putts and shot -1 nobody would've said boo. DeChambeau also had incredible luck all round, with a boatload of missed fairways with all but maybe one leaving him with great lies. Of course, he played those shots great as well as that amazing bunker shot on 18 and several other great saves, so he gets full credit for the win.
Non golfers or part time golfers that say the putt on 18 was a choke are clueless. Forget the pressure. They could attempt that 10 times and never make it. Most amateurs has never putted on greens that fast. Simply, as stated yesterday, he was on the wrong side of the cup. His worst putt might have been Friday IIRC where he was inside 10 feet and ended up rolling it past the hole and off the green.

Reactions: RU848789
Actually, missing his tap-in putt on the 16th was even worse. So double choke for Rory.

Ehhh, the dude just missed two short putts and went 3 over the last 4 holes. I am sure he will talk at some point. There is nothing more overrated in sports IMO than the postgame interview. I honestly don't really need to know what the loser is thinking 30 minutes after they or their team lost.

In fairness, that was a tough putt but yeah, still one you have to make. I think the short one he missed a couple holes earlier was even more egregious.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Nobody sticks around after the final round. Keep the attention on the winner. He will be asked about it before his next tournament as they do with all runner ups. He is unlikable only in your head.

Ehh..not just me. Lots of golf fans have found him to be unlikable the past few years…and I did like him prior..oh well..

He even admitted recently there’s a lot he should have done/said differently the past few years.

Ehh..not just me. Lots of golf fans have found him to be unlikable the past few years…and I did like him prior..oh well..

He even admitted recently there’s a lot he should have done/said differently the past few years.
His criticism of himself was more about his faith in the PGA up until Monahan stabbed in the back. Now he wants everyone back playing together. Is that your beef with him? I sure didn't hear any cheers when he missed the putts. I sure heard the cheers for all for him this weekend! Don't believe "lots" of golf fans hate him as much as you think.

Onto the Travelers in Connecticut. Gotterup is in the field. I think that course could suit his game. Rory isn't playing and Im sure a few others that played this past weekend will exit as well especially with the forecast!!
One month away from the last major and 3 weeks from the Scottish Open which has become a huge stop over the years.

I am generally curious to see if there is an announcement soon on the whole LIV/PGA merger thing. Twitter was afire last week with people saying it was close and that they'd hold off saying anything until after the US Open.

My guess is PGA shortens their season, killing off some tournaments, LIV becomes a side tour with a couple wildcard teams made up of PGA players, PIF plows money into the PGA and in return, PGA works with networks to get LIV better TV deal.

I am sure there will be some sort of pathway added for the LIV guys to play in PGA events as well, maybe giving like the Top 10 in LIV standings auto invites to PGA events and if they turn them down, the invite goes to the next guy.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Onto the Travelers in Connecticut. Gotterup is in the field. I think that course could suit his game. Rory isn't playing and Im sure a few others that played this past weekend will exit as well especially with the forecast!!
One month away from the last major and 3 weeks from the Scottish Open which has become a huge stop over the years.
Agreed. If there is a course that fits gotterups game it is TPC river highlands. Played it a couple of times. It’s not that long and there are very few places to get into trouble on the interior of the course. Especially for long hitters. If he has the driver and wedges dialed in he can go low.

Reactions: WhiteBus
I am generally curious to see if there is an announcement soon on the whole LIV/PGA merger thing. Twitter was afire last week with people saying it was close and that they'd hold off saying anything until after the US Open.

My guess is PGA shortens their season, killing off some tournaments, LIV becomes a side tour with a couple wildcard teams made up of PGA players, PIF plows money into the PGA and in return, PGA works with networks to get LIV better TV deal.

I am sure there will be some sort of pathway added for the LIV guys to play in PGA events as well, maybe giving like the Top 10 in LIV standings auto invites to PGA events and if they turn them down, the invite goes to the next guy.
Maybe LIV becomes the "team" league for the PGA?

Obviously, more than you. Reality is what it is. Golf is fractured and broken.
Five wins in full field events and two seconds so far. Got arrested, beat the rap and had a baby. I’d say that’s a pretty good year.

Five wins in full field events and two seconds so far. Got arrested, beat the rap and had a baby. I’d say that’s a pretty good year.
Five wins without all the best players in the world = meh
Until the sport reunites, only majors matter.
BDeC > SS (with one major to go).

You're clueless. When the runner up in the US Open says all top players should being playing together after a terrible lose and says the tour needs more DeChambeau's you disagree because you think you are smarter than Rory or simply hate LIV players. Either way you look like an idiot.

Reality is the two “tours” are watered down. PGA misses DeChambeau and Koepka and others. LIV has gotten zero traction beyond a couple of international locations and not having a loaded field (on top of the format IMO) hurts them as well.

I’m simply saying that Scottie has had a much better year than anyone based on his record. And the fields he beat are not exactly a bunch of guys playing on resort courses in shorts.

Crazy stat but Scottie's Memorial win was his first PGA Tour win after the Masters. Let's see if he continues to play well the rest of the season. Bryson on another level at the majors. Can't wait for The Open. Don't really care about the Olympics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT