ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2024 Philadelphia Phillies Season Thread

Need better bullpen pitching and bottom order hitting.

We are stuck in also-ran territory without those upgrades.

Hope springs eternal.

Need better bullpen pitching and bottom order hitting.
Agree about bullpen, but we get a full season of Kerkering and Dombrowski will likely make a move or 2 there.
I think the lineup will be fine. Except for Rojas, bottom of lineup is solid. Hopefully he will improve this year. Barring injury or getting nothing (below .230/.300/.330, which is definitely in the range of outcomes) from Rojas there isn't an empty lineup spot to make a move.

We are stuck in also-ran territory without those upgrades.
What? The Phils are far from also-rans. We know that the Dodgers and Braves are by far better, but as is, they are projected to be the 3rd best team in the NL. If you want to make a case for the Dbacks ahead of them, then fine, but that still puts them as one of favorites to grab a wild card berth. As we saw from the past few seasons that is all you need to make a run.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Hope you’re right.

I have bad memories of playoff bullpens mowing down the tail end of our lineup.

Hope you’re right.

I have bad memories of playoff bullpens mowing down the tail end of our lineup.
You are right, they did, but that doesn't mean there is a hole there for the regular season. Rojas is a wildcard, but 3/4 of teams would take our lineup 1-8.

And for what it's worth they are working on it, or at least coming up with a plan.

To be calling the Phillies a "also rans " is hysterical. No team is perfect. They beat Atlanta in the playoffs. In case you forgot or are just into complaining, the Braves had the best record in baseball.

To be calling the Phillies a "also rans " is hysterical. No team is perfect. They beat Atlanta in the playoffs. In case you forgot or are just into complaining, the Braves had the best record in baseball.
TBH, for me, winning a pennant isn’t enough. You gotta win it all.

I’ll stand by my post history that I’m actually a pretty optimistic fan (Rutgers & Philly sports alike).

TBH, for me, winning a pennant isn’t enough. You gotta win it all.

I’ll stand by my post history that I’m actually a pretty optimistic fan (Rutgers & Philly sports alike).
Only one team gets to win it all. To not recognize the great finish to a poor start last year is embarrassing. You certainly aren't an optimistic fan at all. Calling out the Phillies over the other Phillies teams is laughable especially the Eagles this year! Sixers? Flyers? What have they done?

Only one team gets to win it all. To not recognize the great finish to a poor start last year is embarrassing. You certainly aren't an optimistic fan at all. Calling out the Phillies over the other Phillies teams is laughable especially the Eagles this year! Sixers? Flyers? What have they done?
I’m not calling anyone out. I’m saying unless you win it all, you’re an also ran.

That doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate a team’s success even if they didn’t win a title.

‘93 Phillies remains my favorite team of all time. ‘06 Rutgers a close second. And the year the Sixers won game one against the Lakers is probably third. Legion of Doom with Lindros. Eagles with T.O.’s broken leg. Eagles when Vick almost won MVP. Rutgers MBB when they were in the NIT finals against Michigan. Dancing on my own Phillies (2x).

Lots of examples of you gave me more time.

I hear your passion, but I think you’ve got an incorrect impression of me.

I’m not calling anyone out. I’m saying unless you win it all, you’re an also ran.

That doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate a team’s success even if they didn’t win a title.

‘93 Phillies remains my favorite team of all time. ‘06 Rutgers a close second. And the year the Sixers won game one against the Lakers is probably third. Legion of Doom with Lindros. Eagles with T.O.’s broken leg. Eagles when Vick almost won MVP. Rutgers MBB when they were in the NIT finals against Michigan. Dancing on my own Phillies (2x).

Lots of examples of you gave me more time.

I hear your passion, but I think you’ve got an incorrect impression of me.
If winning it all is the only thing you consider as a good year you must hate Philly sports, and sports in general and demand too much.

Reactions: RUScrew85
If winning it all is the only thing you consider as a good year you must hate Philly sports, and sports in general and demand too much.
That’s exactly what I’m saying: I wouldn’t follow Rutgers, Philly sports, or sports in general if all I cared about was winning it all.

I mentioned also ran in response to needing to fix the bottom of our lineup. If they don’t fix it, we aren’t winning it all. And that’s all I care about. At least at the beginning of the season, when anything is still possible.

That’s exactly what I’m saying: I wouldn’t follow Rutgers, Philly sports, or sports in general if all I cared about was winning it all.

I mentioned also ran in response to needing to fix the bottom of our lineup. If they don’t fix it, we aren’t winning it all. And that’s all I care about. At least at the beginning of the season, when anything is still possible.
You keep talking about the bottom of the lineup. The Phillies lost to AZ because of the entire lineup in the last few games. Have no idea what you keep talking about blaming the bottom of the lineup.

You keep talking about the bottom of the lineup. The Phillies lost to AZ because of the entire lineup in the last few games. Have no idea what you keep talking about blaming the bottom of the lineup.
Because it’s one of the variables that would be practical to change.

I'm in it for the entertainment. Competitive baseball all season. See how it goes in the postseason.
Usually, that’s my take as well.

But being that we’ve now made two consecutive long playoff runs, the expectation should be to win it all while the window is still open for this core roster.

Usually, that’s my take as well.

But being that we’ve now made two consecutive long playoff runs, the expectation should be to win it all while the window is still open for this core roster.
Sure that's the hope but I'm past win it all or there's nothing redeeming about it. Maybe the story is for an open window where they don't get the win. If the games are interesting and the stories compelling. I'm happy. I see your point but I don't need the championship for enjoyment. It's a bonus to the rest of it if it happens.

Sure that's the hope but I'm past win it all or there's nothing redeeming about it. Maybe the story is for an open window where they don't get the win. If the games are interesting and the stories compelling. I'm happy. I see your point but I don't need the championship for enjoyment. It's a bonus to the rest of it if it happens.
This. Enjoy the season!
Last year is a perfect example. After a bad start the turn around after the All Star break was awesome. Watched nearly every game on that run. Just because they didn't win it all doesn't mean it was a bad season. It was a great year as a fan.

Reactions: RUScrew85
This. Enjoy the season!
Last year is a perfect example. After a bad start the turn around after the All Star break was awesome. Watched nearly every game on that run. Just because they didn't win it all doesn't mean it was a bad season. It was a great year as a fan.

As Rutgers fans what other kind of expectation could we expect anywhere? LOL

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
The only two titles won by the Phillies were won in Presidential election years in which the out party won.
Plus,the economies of those two years were nothing to write home about either.So far.2024's ecomomy is doing better than it did in those two years,but a late in the year 2008 panic may be in the works.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Tom Kelly just said on WIP that Seranthony is a worry.
He may never be what he once was.
If Rojas doesn't hit,should the farm be mortgaged to reel in Trout?

It would be bad business to mortgage the farm for 32 year old Trout.

Rojas is ok for now, obviously need him to hit somewhat reasonable but not worried about him with his defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT