ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Official Masters Thread

WhiteBus

Hall of Famer
Oct 4, 2011
For those that are big golf fans like myself today is like Christmas morning. Mr. Nicklaus, Mr. Palmer and Mr. Player start things off in golfs greatest event at 7:40am. We already had magic with Jack's hole in one yesterday, one that he jokingly predicted.

Tiger is back...or is he? I don't recognized the guy who says he is Tiger. This one is smiling, laughing, hugging competitors and really enjoying life. I'm not sure it is the Tiger we watched the past 20 years but I love this version!

Forecast looks good. Hot today and cooling through to Sunday. The course looks awesome as ever!

Ben Crenshaw's last year and tomorrow as he comes up 18 there may not be a dry eye in the house. A beloved golfer and golf historian. Rory going for the career grand slam. 21 year old Jordan Spieth trying to improve on his 2nd place finish in his first time at the Masters, Bubba trying to go back to back and get his 3rd Masters....

So many story lines, so much excitement. Enjoy

Who do you thinks wins and who are you rooting for?

Spieth is on a roll and I think will win, but rooting for Lefty.

Man Gary Player still has some muscle. He looked like he ripped his tee shot.

My prediction is Spieth. Plenty long enough for Augusta, plus no one on tour right now is better on and around the greens. His putting inside 15 feet has been lights out.

Hard not to say Bubba since he's really one of the few who can overpower Augusta. But repeating isn't easy.

Rory & Dustin will be in the mix.

Deep sleeper: Ryan Moore. He could win much the same way Zach Johnson & Mike Weir have in the past. Consistent, methodical, precise.

And, of course, it will be fascinating to watch Tiger. I agree this Tiger Version 3.0 has been much more pleasant to watch. Interested not only to see how he plays, but also to see how his personality holds up if he hits a rough patch.

My dream final group would be Phil and Fred Couples with Rory and Tiger playing in front of them.

I'm going to go with one of the these guys wearing the green jacket Sunday night....

Rory
Jason Day or
Jimmy Walker

Sad that Ben Crenshaw's caddie, Carl Jackson, had to take himself off Ben's bag this morning. Along with being with him when Ben won his two Masters he's caddied in the tournament 53 times.
This post was edited on 4/9 9:59 AM by knightfan7

I love The Masters. Rooting for Tiger to make the cut, will also root for Phil. Of the younger guys I root for Ricky Fowler the most. Hope Watson and Freddy do well also. I read yesterday that Bubba Watson is the least popular player on Tour. Not sure why. I just uploaded the Masters App to follow the leaderboard until I get home from work. I'll be watching closely all 4 days.

My pick to win: Phil Mickleson, Long shot: Tiger

Watson apparently rubs some players the wrong way with his attitude. He also has been known to throw a temper tantrum or two.

Originally posted by Ty Webb:
Watson apparently rubs some players the wrong way with his attitude. He also has been known to throw a temper tantrum or two.
Apparently not all that great with fans either. I heard at the champions dinner Tuesday night, Arnold Palmer used the forum to dress down some younger guys. He told them they need to get their act together concerning the way they interact with fans and the media.

GOLF.....some "sport"...... My 83 year old aunt plays the game.
And watching other people play it......YAWN.
This post was edited on 4/9 12:10 PM by Kbee3

Originally posted by Kbee3:
GOLF.....some "sport" My 83 year old aunt plays the game.
Why would you open this thread then ? Loser.

My 67 year old uncle still plays in a senior hockey league.

Guess that's not a sport either.

Your 83 old aunt ain't playing in the Masters.

Golf is the toughest skill game in sports.

If you don't play I can understand not watching it but no need to put it down. The only true world wide sport.

don't let a douchey post derail the thread.

charley hoffman first off this morning leading so far at 4-under through 16. rory & phil just getting started (phil birdied #2).

augusta looks picture perfect, as usual.

You DO realize that 83 is a little bit older than 67, no ?
Talk to me if he's still playing at 83.

Advice for Kbee3. When you have dug yourself into a hole the best advice is to stop digging.

You do realize you sound foolish, right?

You do realize you sound foolish, right?
Oh my....your opinion means SO much to me.

Nah, I'm just easily amused.
Tell me again about the 83 year old hockey player.
confused0024.r191677.gif

Spieth tearing up Augusta National with an 8 under thru 14.. Everyone scoring but Tiger, who's 2 over, and putting of birdie on the back par 5. Right now looking like even par to plus 1 to make the cut. Could move to 1 or under tomorrow the way things looking. Of course they could make the pin placements harder tomorrow.

This post was edited on 4/9 5:32 PM by Abro1975

Originally posted by knightfan7:

My dream final group would be Phil and Fred Couples with Rory and Tiger playing in front of them.

I'm going to go with one of the these guys wearing the green jacket Sunday night....

Rory
Jason Day or
Jimmy Walker

Sad that Ben Crenshaw's caddie, Carl Jackson, had to take himself off Ben's bag this morning. Along with being with him when Ben won his two Masters he's caddied in the tournament 53 times.
This post was edited on 4/9 9:59 AM by knightfan7
I was going to start a thread on this.

I would love to see the last two groups on sunday all tied be:

Tiger: Could he find some more magic?
Phil: Can he find the fairway and make a few putts?
Rickie: Can he finally get it done after all those near misses last year.
Jordan: Great player, good putter, great scrambler, but prone to some squirrelly shots down the stretch.

Spieth was throwing darts out there today. A round for the ages.
Jason day also in contention. That guy always plays great at Augusta.
And the big easy lurking just a few back.

Originally posted by SkilletHead2:
I'm 64 and still throw the discus, hammer, and shot.

(But I wouldn't play golf.)
Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee. Too funny.

nobody wins in the first round but you can be knocked out. Spieth looked awesome. Surprised Tiger played very well. No major chip yips but the happy go lucky Tiger of the beginning of the week is gone.

I enjoy watching golf, and love watching the Masters...Hoping Spieth can keep it up. Really think he's the new face of golf.

That being said though, I agree golf is more of an activity than a "sport". Same goes with bowling, billiards, darts, etc. Still great entertainment though.'

Originally posted by WhiteBus:
nobody wins in the first round but you can be knocked out. Spieth looked awesome. Surprised Tiger played very well. No major chip yips but the happy go lucky Tiger of the beginning of the week is gone.
He did take the time to sign autographs for about a dozen kids after the round. The old Tiger would NEVER have been caught dead doing that. The question is did he do it because he wanted to or was he advised to do it?

A great first round. Kbee wants to derail this thread but trolls can't F-up how special these days are. Day 1 was awesome

Originally posted by mikemarc1:
I enjoy watching golf, and love watching the Masters...Hoping Spieth can keep it up. Really think he's the new face of golf.

That being said though, I agree golf is more of an activity than a "sport". Same goes with bowling, billiards, darts, etc. Still great entertainment though.'
Try carrying your full bag for 18 holes on a 85F day for 4-5 hours on a hilly course and then tell us it's like bowling, billiards and darts.

Agree about Spieth being the top young player in the game. I followed him at Innisbrook in Tampa a few weeks back and he's very impressive. Very mature for a 21 year old and an amazing ball striker and short game player. He seems to be in the mix in every tournament he plays in. I'm rooting for him this week.

Originally posted by Knightmoves:

Agree about Spieth being the top young player in the game. I followed him at Innisbrook in Tampa a few weeks back and he's very impressive. Very mature for a 21 year old and an amazing ball striker and short game player. He seems to be in the mix in every tournament he plays in. I'm rooting for him this week.

Spieth is impressive not only on the course but off it too. Very mature for 21. What a great birdie on 18. That is a tough pin placement and not many bidies yesterday, only 7 birdies compared to 44 bogeys or worse. Only 11 played tougher yesterday. Expect more birdies on 18 with the up front pin placement today. 11 will continue to be one of the hardest holes all weekend long.

He tees of this morning so we won't see any of him live when TV coverage starts but if he puts up a number he can put a lot of pressure on the field. The cut line is the top 50. It will extend beyond that if you are within 10 shots of the lead but Spieth is already at -8. Add a few more under and the cut can be expected to be under par. Right now there is no one that was expected to contend outside the cut line but we have a long day ahead.

7:46 and the first group is just teeing off. Enjoy!

The Masters App ( a free download to your computer/tablet or phone) shows some front 9 holes starting from the first group. I put it on my phone and Ipad to sneak peaks during the morning while working.
Originally posted by WhiteBus:
Originally posted by Knightmoves:

Spieth is impressive not only on the course but off it too. Very mature for 21. What a great birdie on 18. That is a tough pin placement and not many bidies yesterday, only 7 birdies compared to 44 bogeys or worse. Only 11 played tougher yesterday. Expect more birdies on 18 with the up front pin placement today. 11 will continue to be one of the hardest holes all weekend long.

He tees of this morning so we won't see any of him live when TV coverage starts but if he puts up a number he can put a lot of pressure on the field. The cut line is the top 50. It will extend beyond that if you are within 10 shots of the lead but Spieth is already at -8. Add a few more under and the cut can be expected to be under par. Right now there is no one that was expected to contend outside the cut line but we have a long day ahead.

7:46 and the first group is just teeing off. Enjoy!

Masters App

+1 on the Masters app. It's a must have for any golf nut. Follows two featured groups, plus coverage of Amen Corner and then 15& 16.

Originally posted by ClassOf02:
+1 on the Masters app. It's a must have for any golf nut. Follows two featured groups, plus coverage of Amen Corner and then 15& 16.
You can get the same thing on Masters.com

Originally posted by Crazed_RU:

GOLF.....some "sport" My 83 year old aunt plays the game.
Why would you open this thread then ? Loser.
kbee has 'issues'

Poor Charley Hoffman - shooting 9 under for the tournament right now and still 5 shots back. Having the golf game of his life and it's not looking good enough with Spieth's ridiculous performance so far.

Spieth now -14 with one hole left ! Els in 3rd but 9 shots back ! Tiger actually w a decent round w a 3 under going into the 17th hole , good for tied for 12th. Ironically his short game much better than his driving. Has Spieth passed Rory as next best thing on tour?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT