ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Official Masters Thread

Originally posted by Abro1975:
Spieth now -14 with one hole left ! Els in 3rd but 9 shots back ! Tiger actually w a decent round w a 3 under going into the 17th hole , good for tied for 12th. Ironically his short game much better than his driving. Has Spieth passed Rory as next best thing on tour?
Speith will win more majors than Rory, my prediction.

He's the new face of golf.

"The scoring conditions were there because the greens were soft," Woods said after shooting a 69, his best round in four years at the Masters. "We could be aggressive.
"The balls were spinning back, 5‑irons were making ball marks, things like that, things that you just don't normally find here. But it's up to the committee, if they want to make this golf course a little drier ... I was telling the guys earlier, it's quiet out there. There are no Sub-Airs going. If they turn on the Sub-Airs, they can suck the moisture out of this thing and get them firm. Or, they can live with it like it is, and we can go out there and make a bunch of birdies."
Given the absolute disarray of his game this season, the lingering questions about the health of his back, the waywardness of his driver and the yippiness of his chipping, it's seems nutty that Woods is practically begging Augusta National's competition committee to make the course tougher.

If they make the course tougher, that could be the only chance the field has against the talented, but relatively inexperienced Spieth. When I was there on Wedneday, the course was somewhat damp and soft. I did hear the Sub-Airs going on Wednesday afternoon as I was leaving. Not a surprise to see good scores, although the 36 hole record is something nobody could foresee. It would be typical for the folks at Augusta to toughen up the course if the players are scoring well or ease up a bit when the conditions are hard, dry and fast. I think there was a forecast of overnight rain, so who knows what's going to be.

Spieth has been simply unbelievable. I think he'll win by 5 strokes or more, but with the greens likely to be lightning fast and a little crusty by Sunday (with warm/dry/sunny conditions) and assuming some tough pins, I'd be surprised to see him beat Tiger's record of -18. It's also possible he'll come back to the field a little, giving the guys at -5 or lower a shot, if they can get to -10 or so. Watch out for Dustin Johnson, as he has the game to win this - guy had 3 eagles today - first time that's ever been done. Would love to see Phil continue to play well, too and get into contention. But if Spieth just pars out, he wins.

How'd you like that chip on 18 by Holmes from just off the green, across the green, up the side hill of the bunker and then rolling back down the slope and slowly rolling into the cup halfway back across the green? Unfortunately, he still missed the cut. Reminiscent of Tiger's amazing chip on 16 in 2005, which was the key to him being able to beat Chris DiMarco that year - that's still the best single shot I think I've ever seen, especially considering the situation.

http://thebiglead.com/2015/04/10/j-b-holmes-had-a-spectacular-chip-in-on-the-18th-at-the-masters/

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/04/the-greatest-chip-in-masters-history-as-told-by-tiger-woods

Second edit: This is a thread for folks who want to talk about the Masters, not defend or attack golf, so taking post down.
This post was edited on 4/11 12:49 AM by SkilletHead2

Today is moving day but unless Spieth puts it in serious complete reverse everyone else is playing for second place. Some may think a run away winner is boring, I do not! This could be the first major of an incredible career. He is no Tiger Woods...yet... but no one thought it was boring when Tiger would run away and let the rest of the field battle for crumbs.

We are watching something historic. This kid is just 21 and has already secured the lowest 36 hole score EVER at the Masters.

Enjoy moving day.

Some interesting twosomes today. In addition to Speith-Hoffman there is Tiger and Sergio, Justin Rose-Dustin Hoffman, Phil- Paul Casey, Els-Kevin Na, Jason Day-Adam Scott, Ryan Morre-Angel Cabrera and Bubba Watson-Rory McIlroy.

Agree that Speith will need to stumble and come back to the field to make this a wide open tournament.

But there's a lot of golf left to play. My wife is well aware that I'll be "busy" the next two afternoons.

Dustin Hoffman ? LOL aka Ratso Rizzo (Midnight Cowboy)

Tiger & Sergio have an acrimonious history (remember Sergio's Fried Chicken comment ?)

I think Bubba- Rory pairing will be fun, both need to take some chances to close the huge gap to Spieth, and both capable of going very low

Is it safe? (Dustin Hoffman hearing that line while strapped to the sadistic dentist's chair in Marathon Man)
Originally posted by Knightmoves:
Some interesting twosomes today. In addition to Speith-Hoffman there is Tiger and Sergio, Justin Rose-Dustin Hoffman, Phil- Paul Casey, Els-Kevin Na, Jason Day-Adam Scott, Ryan Morre-Angel Cabrera and Bubba Watson-Rory McIlroy.

Agree that Speith will need to stumble and come back to the field to make this a wide open tournament.

But there's a lot of golf left to play. My wife is well aware that I'll be "busy" the next two afternoons.

This post was edited on 4/11 8:27 AM by Abro1975

Dustin Hoffman made the cut? He's got to be older than even Ben Crenshaw
cool.r191677.gif

Spieth's older brother starts on the Brown Basketball team, his mom played basketball for Moravian College in Allentown /Bethlehem , Pa.

Good story on Spieth's upbringing:

LINK

It appears that the low scores are out there for the taking today.

Poulter -5 after 14

Fowler -4 after 12

Tiger - 3 after 4

McIlroy -2

Dustin Hoffman ? LOL aka Ratso Rizzo (Midnight Cowboy)

Tiger & Sergio have an acrimonious history (remember Sergio's Fried Chicken comment ?)

I think Bubba- Rory pairing will be fun, both need to take some chances to close the huge gap to Spieth, and both capable of going very low

Is it safe? (Dustin Hoffman hearing that line while strapped to the sadistic dentist's chair in Marathon Man)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At least I now know that some here read my posts. Wonder what kind of game Dustin Hoffman has ? I'm thinking he can spot kbee3 two strokes per side, at least.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Phil, en fuego! Awesome birdie at 9 from 4 feet and is now at -10, just 4 strokes back. And Tiger is 4 under for the day at -6 and Rory is hot, too, at -7. Spieth steady at even for the day and -14, still.

By the way, as I've said a few times, anyone who has written Tiger's career off is simply nuts. He may not be quite the old Tiger yet, but he's playing pretty well and isn't far off from winning form for a major. He may not catch Jack, but in no way is he done (barring more major injuries).

Phil just made an unreal 60 footer on 16 for birdie to get to -12, 4 shots back from Spieth, who just 3-putted 14 - but Spieth is on 15 in two with a birdie very likely, while Hoffman might make bogey on 15 after going in the water on a horrible shot. If things hold, this would likely mean Phil will be in the final pairing with Spieth, which might mean something - it certainly did when Faldo crushed Norman's hopes of a green jacket when Nick was 6 down going into the last round, but made it into the last pairing with Greg. Rose is also very hot, with 4 straight birdies to get to -11. This thing's not over yet.

By the way, Crenshaw's daughters are very hot, lol...

This post was edited on 4/11 6:24 PM by RU848789

You spoke too soon. He's on pace to break Tigers all time low 4 day Masters Total (270 in 1997)

PS- Tiger had a good day, could have been a great day.

You spoke too soon. He's on pace to break Tigers all time low 4 day Masters Total (270 in 1997)

PS- Tiger had a good day, could have been a great day.
I did it hoping he would prove me wrong. The chunk and 3-putt on 17 was concerning though...shows how quickly a big lead can evaporate.

Justin Rose is a live challenger for Spieth on Sunday. I witnessed him winning the US Open at Merion with a great shot on 18. He is very capable of grinding out a win tomorrow.

I will be glued to the TV tomorrow for what I feel is the greatest sporting event in the world. Great reality TV.

Sunday at the Masters. A phrase that brings great anticipation for players and golf fans alike. Some say that it starts at Amen Corner but it starts on the 1st tee for the top 4. Spieth, Rose, Hoffman and Phil. The winner comes from the last two groups. The others are too far back. The last two groups tee off at 2:40pm and 2:50pm. Get all your chores done by than and settle in. If yesterday was any indication we are in for a fun, exciting ride.

As far as yesterday goes all I can say is WOW! What great rounds, what great play and excitement.

Tiger, Rory start off fast to get the crowd on edge and it never stopped. Phil's putt on 16, Rose's splash in from the bunker on the same hole, Spieth's awesome save on 18 were just some of the highlights.

I'm very interested to see if Spieth can continue his steller play. As much as I am a big fan of Phils the game needs new blood and what we have seen from JS the past few months leads many to believe he has "it". Today we find out.

Another 21 yr old who has the game to become a dominant player.Jordan can win this one if he holds up to the pressure that is obviously there on every shot in this final round.He wins if he doesn't slide back to the pack or if none of the others have completely crazy rounds and shoot 6-8 under today.My plans are made to watch this one from start to finish.Almost as good as watching the Spring Game ,but not quite.

Originally posted by WhiteBus:

Sunday at the Masters. A phrase that brings great anticipation for players and golf fans alike. Some say that it starts at Amen Corner but it starts on the 1st tee for the top 4. Spieth, Rose, Hoffman and Phil. The winner comes from the last two groups. The others are too far back. The last two groups tee off at 2:40pm and 2:50pm. Get all your chores done by than and settle in. If yesterday was any indication we are in for a fun, exciting ride.

As far as yesterday goes all I can say is WOW! What great rounds, what great play and excitement.

Tiger, Rory start off fast to get the crowd on edge and it never stopped. Phil's putt on 16, Rose's splash in from the bunker on the same hole, Spieth's awesome save on 18 were just some of the highlights.

I'm very interested to see if Spieth can continue his steller play. As much as I am a big fan of Phils the game needs new blood and what we have seen from JS the past few months leads many to believe he has "it". Today we find out.
Really like Speith's game. It looked like he was having an early Sunday on 17 but he made a great save on 18. Either that gives him back some confidence or he feels he was lucky saving 18 and is still in freefall at 1 today.

Not much change after 8-9 holes. It was Spieth, Rose, Phil at -16, -12, -11 to start and now it's -17, -13, -11, as Phil just bogeyed #9 and Spieth birdied 8 after bogeying 7. Spieth is looking pretty strong still, but lots of golf left. Tiger may have just hurt his wrist/arm, hitting what appears to be a root under the pine straw - definitely in pain and hit a couple of squirrelly shots since then.

Originally posted by ho26rus:
Well after only3 holes, the Spieth's lead is down to 3.
Seems he's going to be OK. Any nerves he might be having seem to be under control.

After 3 good days for him, Phil's driver deserted him on the front 9 today. He was going to have had to be perfect today and he isn't. Rose has fallen back a bit.

This is all Spieth. 5 up on Phil and Rose with 5 holes to go.

Originally posted by RUScrew85:
Seems he's going to be OK. Any nerves he might be having seem to be under control.
OK I'm calling it. After that second shot at 13 Speith is the winner.

I know what you're saying and I agree 99%, but it's -18, -14, -14 (after Phil's awesome hole out from the bunker on 15 for eagle) with 3/4 to play and things can still happen...

Originally posted by RU848789:

I know what you're saying and I agree 99%, but it's -18, -14, -14 (after Phil's awesome hole out from the bunker on 15 for eagle) with 3/4 to play and things can still happen...
And it almost happened on 16. Rose easily could've birdied, but he missed a pretty easy uphill putt and Spieth likely should've bogeyed, but he made a great downhill putt to save par - would've made it a 2-stroke lead with 2 to play, but it stayed at 4 through 16, Now it's over. Spieth will likely break the record now and Phil/Justin would've won all but a handful of Masters tourneys.

And it almost happened on 16. Rose easily could've birdied, but he missed a pretty easy uphill putt and Spieth likely should've bogeyed, but he made a great downhill putt to save par - would've made it a 2-stroke lead with 2 to play, but it stayed at 4 through 16, Now it's over. Spieth will likely break the record now and Phil/Justin would've won all but a handful of Masters tourneys.
I believe their score would have won 70 of the previous 77.

Great great tournament. Only chase can F-up the good vibe.

Kid has moxie. Answered every challenge in the past two days. Beyond impressed. Golf is in great hands. Tiger ran out of gas but was a softer Tiger from day one. Even in tough times he managed to work a smile in here and there.

Phil did his best and may have the game and fire to get the career Grand Slam.

What a week!

The Masters never disappoints. Great week and really looking forward to watching Jordan Spieth for many years to come. Him and Rory highlighting things, but having DJ, Fowler, Bubba, Day, etc with years and years ahead of them will be fun. Golf is in good hands.

Originally posted by ClassOf02:
The Masters never disappoints. Great week and really looking forward to watching Jordan Spieth for many years to come. Him and Rory highlighting things, but having DJ, Fowler, Bubba, Day, etc with years and years ahead of them will be fun. Golf is in good hands.
Loved Nick Faldo's comment that Rory and Spieth are the leaders with many backup singers. So true. In my lufe we have transfomed from Arnie to Jack to Player to Watson to....

It goes on and on. The Masters is the greatest sporting event in the world and you are right it never disapoints.

Tomorrow is like the day after Christmas. A long wait until the next big day.

Originally posted by knightfan7:

I believe their score would have won 70 of the previous 77.
Actually, of the previous 77 tourneys, 5 had winning scores lower than -14 and 3 had winning scores of -14. No matter how you slice it, -14 is a damn good score. Spieth was just on another level - every time he stumbled even a little bit, he came back with great shots - and his ability to only miss in places that wouldn't hurt badly was simply superb, as best illustrated by his play on 11, where he hit a bad drive to the right, but didn't compound it by trying to hit a heroic shot out of the trees, instead hitting a low runner to 10 yards short of the green (and nowhere near the water), and then making a great chip and one-putt for par. Many young players don't learn that kind of course management for years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Masters_Tournament_champions

That "fried chicken" comment was by Fuzzy Zoeller, not Sergio.

Abro1975Reply4/11 7:26 AM

Re: OT - Official Masters Thread

Dustin Hoffman ?   LOL aka Ratso Rizzo  (Midnight Cowboy)

Posted from Rivals Mobile

Watching Spieth's press conference. Unreal that he is just 21. Amazing kid.

Golf Channel points out that he is just 6 years away from being eligible from being a Drive, Pitch and Putt player. Unreal
This post was edited on 4/12 9:49 PM by WhiteBus

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT