ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Orioles

RUaMoose

Heisman Winner
Oct 31, 2004
Lebanon, TN
I’ve been watching this situation for at least a year. Always thought the Orioles were a relocation candidate while others were distracted with the Rays, Brewers,etc. Reasons:

1-Balt has become crime-ridden dump with declining population that no one wants to visit. Kinda a east coast version of Oakland

2-Since the mid 2ks, they’re no longer the lone mlb team in that market.

3-Owner has a 2nd home in Nashville who is getting a team whether it’s a relocation or an expansion team.

4- Camden yards is 30 yrs old.

I see the Orioles moving to Nashville, Charlotte or Raleigh. Camden Yards will host the Nationals triple A team.

Last edited:
1 is not an issue. I lived In Baltimore 1993-96. It was the same then and got huge crowds
4 is not an issue. Camden yards still makes any fans top 5 list.
It’s gotten much worse post covid
Couple blocks away from the harbor and the stadium area at night is not safe

It’s a shame too because Camden yards is an absolute gem, and started the trend about how tgese new Ballparks look

I love boogs grill in right field, the bar in the warehouse, all of the monuments out there, and the whole vibe of the stadium

It’s very convenient right off 95 and 2 1/2 hours max from Central Jersey

Clean up the damn area, figure out the lease and keep that team at Baltimore

Clean up the damn area, figure out the lease and keep that team at Baltimore
Yankee fan here...I totally agree with your post. I've been down to that ballpark several times over the years and it is, as you said, a gem. They need to figure out what the drivers are that would move them away and address them. It would be a crime to relocate them, especially after they finally got good.

Yankee fan here...I totally agree with your post. I've been down to that ballpark several times over the years and it is, as you said, a gem. They need to figure out what the drivers are that would move them away and address them. It would be a crime to relocate them, especially after they finally got good.
When I think of the Orioles I think of old-time baseball, the old memorial Stadium, right in the neighborhood and now of course Camden yards

It’s kind of history, a great baseball area, Ripken, etc.

It would truly be a shame if they relocated

When I think of the Orioles I think of old-time baseball, the old memorial Stadium, right in the neighborhood and now of course Camden yards

It’s kind of history, a great baseball area, Ripken, etc.

It would truly be a shame if they relocated
When I think Orioles , first name that pops up is Gus Triandos.
Growing up didn't like the Yankees and found players at every position that I claimed was better than the Yankee at the same position
Gus was the catcher, guess who I claimed Triandos was better then 🙃

Reactions: zappaa
Kind of like Pittsburgh to me. Rich history, great ballpark, good fans when the team is good, etc. However, if these markets can't support a reasonable payroll, it may be a matter of time. As mentioned earlier, Nashville, Charlotte or Raleigh make sense. With their farm system, they're either poised to be great for a while or to be the Montreal Expo's - training ground for potentially great players before they're traded to big market teams.

Reactions: RUaMoose
When I think Orioles , first name that pops up is Gus Triandos.
Growing up didn't like the Yankees and found players at every position that I claimed was better than the Yankee at the same position
Gus was the catcher, guess who I claimed Triandos was better then 🙃
Is that a reference to the wire??

Baltimore (and surrounding area) love the Orioles. The team is deeply ingrained as a part of the town. I think there is a zero percent chance they leave.

Reactions: RUSMOKING
It would be a crime if they moved, the area around it does tend to suck and haven't been in it in a few years but homeless were all over, but the stadium itself a marvel, and as an O's fan, would be steamed if they left. Frankly they'd not be the O's anymore. If baseball feels its talent pool is big enough to expand, then do that, but don't hurt the existing teams. Could see it happening to the A's, you knew they were done once the Raiders left, but areas like Portland or Nashville want ball, give them 2 new teams. Ditto football, they've gone out of their way in the NFL for parity (and today's style of play with qb's- to mediocrity), so just expand rather than penalize.

Lifelong O's fan here. I don't really buy the relocation talk. This is simply not equivalent to moving the A's from their dump in Oakland or moving the Rays from their dump in St. Pete. Camden Yards is at the top of every baseball fan's bucket list. When the Os are good our attendance is strong. And we are poised for decade long run of good O's teams thanks to our #1 farm system. The wild card is all of this is the ownership. The Angelos family are total scumbags. Could they move the O's out of spite? Maybe. But lately the talk of the town has been of a possible sale. Every single O's fan is hoping it goes through. Would make an incredible Xmas present.

As far as the comments about Baltimore. It's no different than any other American city. I live near Philly and it the same crap there. Baltimore itself does have population loss, but the suburbs of Baltimore are as popular as ever

Reactions: rutger80
Baltimore is a disgrace - destroyed by same crews that wrecked DC, NYC, Chicago et al. The powers that be in these places hide behind civil rights jargon but the money and power flows to the people thriving on decay while pretending to care about it. There's big money in broken people, schools, economies. People think there is no money in poor areas but there is lots of it. It just goes to grifters

Baltimore has gotten very bad. It makes me sad when I go back and it’s only going to get worse with the leadership there.

But make no mistake. Oakland is a cesspool the likes of which you only see in third world countries.

I’ve been watching this situation for at least a year. Always thought the Orioles were a relocation candidate while others were distracted with the Rays, Brewers,etc. Reasons:

1-Balt has become crime-ridden dump with declining population that no one wants to visit. Kinda a east coast version of Oakland

2-Since the mid 2ks, they’re no longer the lone mlb team in that market.

3-Owner has a 2nd home in Nashville who is getting a team whether it’s a relocation or an expansion team.

4- Camden yards is 30 yrs old.

I see the Orioles moving to Nashville, Charlotte or Raleigh. Camden Yards will host the Nationals triple A team.

1. Camden yards is right off of 95. You don’t have to drive through town to get there. Also Baltimore has started to revitalize. Hampden, fells point, federal hill, Canton, Little Italy, Mt Vernon and Harbor East all have wonderful places to visit and eat.

2. No one cares about the Nats down here. I live in Silver Spring Maryland, I’m 10 min from DC… no one cares about the nats. Only reason nats fans even exist is the orioles were so terrible for so long the area was starved for decent baseball, now that the O’s are back so many ‘Nats’ fans find themselves returning to their roots as orioles fans.

3. People been saying that for 20 years…

4. And??? Fenway Park opened in 1912, Wrigley field in 1914…. Should we tear those stadiums down as well despite being consistently named as among the best ballparks in America? I mean after all they’re WELL over 30 years old…

I see you as a Yankees or blue jays fan who’s simply upset that the orioles just ran circles around both organizations with a fraction the payroll…

Reactions: Zak57
1. Camden yards is right off of 95. You don’t have to drive through town to get there. Also Baltimore has started to revitalize. Hampden, fells point, federal hill, Canton, Little Italy, Mt Vernon and Harbor East all have wonderful places to visit and eat.

2. No one cares about the Nats down here. I live in Silver Spring Maryland, I’m 10 min from DC… no one cares about the nats. Only reason nats fans even exist is the orioles were so terrible for so long the area was starved for decent baseball, now that the O’s are back so many ‘Nats’ fans find themselves returning to their roots as orioles fans.

4. And??? Fenway Park opened in 1912, Wrigley field in 1914…. Should we tear those stadiums down as well despite being consistently named as among the best ballparks in America? I mean after all they’re WELL over 30 years old…

I see you as a Yankees or blue jays fan who’s simply upset that the orioles just ran circles around both organizations with a fraction the payroll…
Don’t forget Dodger Stadium yessir….A tremendous ballpark to play in or watch a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: yessir321
The only issue with the Orioles is they need a new owner who actually cares about the team.
I always picture Peter Angelos as Ricardo Montalban in Wrath of Khan sitting across an owner's meeting conference table from George Steinbrenner quoting Melville's Capt. Ahab, "From Hell's heart I stab at thee. For hates sake, I spit my last breath at thee." (This is how I feel about all things PSU, BTW)

When Steinbrenner died still holding all the cards the fire just went out.

This was the dumbest OT I've read on this board in years.

The stadium is easily one of the top 5 in baseball and has been there when the city was in much worse shape than it presently in.

The city is not safe outside of a few small liver of blocks from the stadiums down to Canton, but those neighborhoods are pretty vibrant IMO.

Harbor East has seen probably 1 billion in development in the last decade or 2. It's presently one of my favorite urban neighborhoods in the Northeast. With that investment, came the counter. The Inner Harbor is currently a ghost town. The mall that is there only has 2 tenants; Hooters & Cheesecake Factory. This is really sad, as this was a vibrant place in the late 90's early 00's. Covid did a number here, but from what I've seen the mall has recently been sold to a local developer with grand plans.

I'd much rather go to a Yankee game in the Harbor than the Bronx. Better stadium, restaurant and overall experience. The team also stays at the Four Seasons in Harbor East and are out and about in the area when they have down time. It makes for a great personal experience for the little ones.

Don’t forget Dodger Stadium yessir….A tremendous ballpark to play in or watch a game.

It's a horrible stadium to watch games in tbh. Too vast, seats are terrible, concourses are tiny, and parking and traffic are an utter nightmare.

I'd never go there again.

Reactions: bob-loblaw
The only issue with the Orioles is they need a new owner who actually cares about the team.
The people who say the team needs to move are idiot fans of other teams. Baltimore is an amazing sports town. the way that city and surrounding areas rally’s around the Ravens is among the best in the NFL (meanwhile here where I live 10 min from DC the support of the commanders is laughable, but getting better now that Snyder is gone). The atmosphere this year at Camden yards was electric. Tampa bay could only dream of crowds like the o’s had.

This OP is among the worst takes ever made on a board full of bad takes

Actually I’m a Reds fan. Don’t have a horse in this race. #2 is the most salient point. Can the DC/Balt metro area support two mlb teams? The Bay Area couldn’t do it.

Actually I’m a Reds fan. Don’t have a horse in this race. #2 is the most salient point. Can the DC/Balt metro area support two mlb teams? The Bay Area couldn’t do it.
Without question specifically in regards to geographics and TV deals. Unlike the NFL, NBA, and NHL; MLB does not have a team in the Carolina's and MASN which is the shared network between the Orioles and Nats (O's own 77% Nats own 23%) has regional coverage as far down as South Carolina. Now granted there are more Braves fans in the carolina's that anything else however the lack of a true local pro team has allowed a lot of fans to branch out. Virginia's the same way, While you'll find some old O's fan's once you cross over to Alexandria the affiliation which anything Baltimore is gone, that's pure DC once you get down there.

The orioles on the other hand have regional reach all across maryland and into south central Pa up through the Harrisburg Region. There's SOOO many people spread across those regions. Will the O's ever be "Big Market" like the Yankees and Red Sox? Of course not. There is however PLENTY of fans to support both teams particularly the Orioles (Realistically O's fan's outnumber Nat's fans probably 3:1 regionally, Nat's are still the new kid in town and this region grew up with Brooks Robinson, Cal Ripkin, Eddie Murray, Frank, Earl, etc).

Stadium deal is getting approved next week by the board, it was a stressful issue but thankfully it's over now. O's are staying

Reactions: MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT