ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Phil Simms said this about offensive linemen in the NFL on HBO

kapyoche

All American
Sep 11, 2010
He said that the only reason that players are on the offensive line is that they are not good enough to play on the defensive line. I don't think he was joking.

That is the reason why offense is so bad in the NFL thus far. DL talent is too good.

What's your take on this?

I have heard several NFL commentators say because of so many teams playing the spread, college OL are not being prepared for what is expected in the NFL. It not only makes it tougher to evaluate prospects but pro coaches are now finding they need to teach what in the past was taught in college.

I'd make an exception for OLT's. Some of those guys have the strength and quickness to play DL. And I think the salaries they're paid is proof.

Knightfan7 does make a good point about the effect of the widespread use of the spread in college.

Reactions: ScarletNYC
There are 2 main reasons why OL play in the NFL is so bad. The first is the proliferation of spread offenses. College offensive linemen are not learning the techniques necessary to block in pro style offenses. The second is the decreased practice time in the NFL. When offensive linemen come into the NFL, they have to master a completely different style of play, and they have fewer reps and less practice time in which to do it.

There are 2 main reasons why OL play in the NFL is so bad. The first is the proliferation of spread offenses. College offensive linemen are not learning the techniques necessary to block in pro style offenses. The second is the decreased practice time in the NFL. When offensive linemen come into the NFL, they have to master a completely different style of play, and they have fewer reps and less practice time in which to do it.
UFA too, OL's never stay together, which combined with the limited practice time leads to a lack of cohesiveness.

usually that's the case in terms of the physical aspects - explosion, quick-twitch, acceleration - but in general OL are more cerebral than DL (OL have the highest avg Wonderlich score of all position groups)

I have heard several NFL commentators say because of so many teams playing the spread, college OL are not being prepared for what is expected in the NFL. It not only makes it tougher to evaluate prospects but pro coaches are now finding they need to teach what in the past was taught in college.
Agree.

College has been playing serious football since the late 1800s. After the pro's seriously started playing ball in the 1950s, they dictated (indirectly), how high school and college played. How they trained, how they prepared, the offeneses, the defenses, etc.

15yrs years ago, college finally said uncle. Boise and Oregon wanted to win and the formula of following everyone else for 75yrs was a failure: BIG inside, fast outside then lets go toe to toe. Bama, Texas, USC, and Oaklohoma took the best 115 scholarship players and pounded everyone.

Boise and Oregon (with the help of UNH Chip Kelly) opened it up. With your 80% talent of Bama, you could now win. You're undersized OLine only needs to hold on for 3.5 seconds.

Drop to 85 scholarships and schools playing a more fun style = college football is now on their own script

The Run and Shoot failed in the late 80s early 90s. The NFL better find another a way to get the Run and Shoot to work, or they will continue with a garbage product. College isn't grooming the pro-style player anymore.

(Plus throw in, athletic big men won't play oline)

Last edited:
Reactions: dconifer
The second is the decreased practice time in the NFL. .

NY Post had it on Eddie Lacy yesterday -"He was surprised at the ease of the NFL practices, and the weight started piling up."

Its coming to light practice football in the pro's is vacation. They may be the most highly fit athletes we've ever seen, but when you practice lazy the month of August, you are going to play like it.

Reactions: RUaMoose
usually that's the case in terms of the physical aspects - explosion, quick-twitch, acceleration - but in general OL are more cerebral than DL (OL have the highest avg Wonderlich score of all position groups)
I thought it was the QB's?

Simms is an ass with marginal nfl talent. ron made him appear good
You've quite the sourpuss lately. Cheer up, man; life is too short and too precious to waste it being all negative all the time.

You need to spend some time on YouTube watching cute baby and pet videos or something. Or, you know, get yourself some hookers and blow.

I think being a good O lineman is more difficult than being a good D lineman. There is more skill involved in blocking vs filling holes/getting to the QB. (FWIW, I played mostly defense.)

UFA too, OL's never stay together, which combined with the limited practice time leads to a lack of cohesiveness.
I wonder if the experience at OL is significantly less than year past. O-Lineman often had careers that were a decade plus even if they were average. Now teams are so quick to dump veterans for young players to save on salary I imagine it is hurting OL play. I've been of the opinion that the lack of veterans in role players is what has really hurt the NFL game.

Reactions: LC-88
He said that the only reason that players are on the offensive line is that they are not good enough to play on the defensive line. I don't think he was joking.

That is the reason why offense is so bad in the NFL thus far. DL talent is too good.

What's your take on this?
Isn't our RT exhibit A? Moves to OL and he is one of the best athletes in the group.

Reactions: MoobyCow

BINGO!

You've quite the sourpuss lately. Cheer up, man; life is too short and too precious to waste it being all negative all the time.

You need to spend some time on YouTube watching cute baby and pet videos or something. Or, you know, get yourself some hookers and blow.
No my friend, I'm great. simms however, only jint fans love the guy. Ron ernhardt.....

NY Post had it on Eddie Lacy yesterday -"He was surprised at the ease of the NFL practices, and the weight started piling up."

Its coming to light practice football in the pro's is vacation. They may be the most highly fit athletes we've ever seen, but when you practice lazy the month of August, you are going to play like it.

Eddie Lacy said that? THE Eddie Lacy who would SHOW UP to training camp grossly overweight and under comditioned? And he was surprised they didn't whip him into shape?

The DL guy only has to win 1 or 2 of the 50+ battles to have won the day. They also never have to figure out how 5 guys can hold off 8-9 guys either...just saying

Reactions: Finster Baby
I think OL is the hardest position since there is no stat for what they do. There is no tackles or sacks.

They get fewer women. I never see an OL with a hot model. They may occasionally get a gift from the QB or RB. But it is a real sad position.

They need a stat to make them shine. They should get yards credit for rush and pass.

They need a stat so Simms like experts can respect these guys.

I think OL is the hardest position since there is no stat for what they do. There is no tackles or sacks.

They get fewer women. I never see an OL with a hot model. They may occasionally get a gift from the QB or RB. But it is a real sad position.

They need a stat to make them shine. They should get yards credit for rush and pass.

They need a stat so Simms like experts can respect these guys.

I can attest to the fact that this can be very untrue...

They saw the same thing about defensive backs. They are wide receivers who can't catch. If they can catch, they would be defensive backs.

It's usually the opposite vis a vis defense and offense. Linebackers are running backs who can't hold onto the ball, defensive backs are wide receivers who can't catch.

It's usually the opposite vis a vis defense and offense. Linebackers are running backs who can't hold onto the ball, defensive backs are wide receivers who can't catch.

Sorry no. LB's are badass dudes that want to deliver punishment. Very few physically translate to RB. They're bigger, taller, stronger, meaner, and slower than an RB. Best position on the field = ILB/MLB, IMHO

OL and WR are the two most injury prone groups. WRs have to catch balls over the middle while exposed. OL get rolled-up on from behind - a lot. Even good OL never make it to NFL (like RU's Sosa - ranked higher than Zuttah at the time) because they get injured more often.

I do think DL are more athletic and more crazy. DL need "instincts" more than OL (who just need a playbook). OL and QBs tend to have highest mental tests scores. OL might have better grades than DL while DL might go hunting boars (which they did at "Snacks" college) and getting wasted in Daytona and waking-up in jail (and not regretting it).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT